Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Do you think some of the current fleet may be taken out of service with no replacement?

It's not something I see the general public being overly concerned about and that's the type of cutback they will be looking for.

I don't. Its already a pretty lean operation with now all modern airframes, so end of life considerations don't arise at the moment. And frankly, manpower issues limit operations anyway.

But, I don't think the current administration would have rushed in a fourth PC12 if they didn't back the Corps as an important resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭roadmaster

sparky42 wrote: »
    Don't forget the fourth PC12 we've picked up that's already seeing hours put up. That being said the PC9 replacement is without question going to be in the 2030's at best, remember one of them is virtually new and with the flight hour cut backs during the last crash I'd say their hours are well below replacement.

The main area I see is the MRV for the Navy, it's the next "big ticket" item to come up and I could easily see the DOD sidelining it for as long as possible.

Could the current casas solider on in a utility role when the 295's arrive or will 30 year old planes that spent there life flying low over the sea swallowing in salt be ready for the scrap heap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

roadmaster wrote: »
    Could the current casas solider on in a utility role when the 295's arrive or will 30 year old planes that spent there life flying low over the sea swallowing in salt be ready for the scrap heap?

I do think retaining the 235s would be an easy way to squeeze much more utility from the AC. To fly 4 instead of 2 aircraft would obviously require more personnel, but it would allow for an aircraft available for MPA at home and an aircraft available to deploy overseas be it in an MPA or transport role.

That is if it was relatively inexpensive, in which case they would presumably use the introduction of both 295s for some sort of inspection and refurbishment.

As others have pointed out, aircraft are retained for decades elsewhere and the French have been flying MPAs like the Breguets forever, but it is true to say that the 235s have taken a beating and the fact that the manufacturer was impressed with their condition when they went for their most recent upgrade is telling.

I don't think we want another Gulfstream saga with aging airframes frankly. Besides, we don't have the manpower to get the optimum service from 8 fixed wing transport/MPA.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't think we want another Gulfstream saga with aging airframes frankly. Besides, we don't have the manpower to get the optimum service from 8 fixed wing transport/MPA.

In terms of a realistic boost in the Corps' utility though (i.e. ruling out Gripens etc), this would be a straightforward and quick win with little to no headaches. The Gulfsteam was blown out of proportion, those things happen from time to time (the aircraft was repaired and returned to service by the buyer) and the cost has to be weighed against utility. In this case, headlines won out and the State lost the ability to do longer range medevac, MATS and other functions.

We have pilots and techs well versed in the 235 and an established parts/service logistics chain. The only hiccup is not having enough pilots and techs as you say, as well as having to potentially refurbish the aircraft to give them another decades (or so) worth of service.

So very little capital expenditure required (relative to a new airframe) and the cost of training more pilots/techs is reduced (compared to that of a new type of aircraft) with the effect of doubling the number of aircraft of this type which might allow for simultaneous operations at home and abroad, or much better availability at home when not deployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

Stovepipe wrote: »
    they are training to fly more complex aircraft,such as the Casa, learjet and the helicopters. It's a trainer so they have to learn instrument flight skills as well as gunnery,aerobatics, formation flight and the function of being a flight leader, formation commander and later, as flight instructors.

There is a problem where we have 8 training aircraft to train pilots for 2 Casa's, A L-45 and 4 PC-12's.

AFAIK no other air force uses a PC-9 class aircraft to train helicopter pilots.

NewSigGuy wrote: »
    There is a problem where we have 8 training aircraft to train pilots for 2 Casa's, A L-45 and 4 PC-12's.

AFAIK no other air force uses a PC-9 class aircraft to train helicopter pilots.

Isn't the PC9 for basic airmanship, with further type rating in the other fixed wing and the EC-135 used for introduction to rotary training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Id say by the time this whole mess is over the air corps may have no issue in getting former pilots and technicians back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NewSigGuy

Isn't the PC9 for basic airmanship, with further type rating in the other fixed wing and the EC-135 used for introduction to rotary training?

Full Wings(pilot) Course is flown on the PC-9, pilots are only streamed after they have qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Varadkar just said in the Dáil he wants the DF to purchase heavy lift aircraft for troops.

Said country dependent on commercial airlines or other forces and that can't continue.

COVID continuing to throw up surprises... let the speculation commence.

EDIT: Speak of the devil...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Excellent idea! Sure haven't I suggested the same meself! A couple of them KC 390 from Embraer would be exactly the right size for our force deployments. And looking at Embraer's current order book I am confident a good deal could be had. A wee squadron of L139 NG's to accompany them as and when required would not go amiss either. Good to be back in the discussion lads and hope yez are all dodgin the auld Covid 19 bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,501 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The KC-390 is in limbo at the moment due to the abandonment of the Boeing-Embraer tie up.

It's not a bird I'd be buying until the one and outs of that are sorted.

If he wants "heavy" it's likely a 4 engined turboprop of which there are only 2 contenders or a Cargo jet converted civil or mil spec.

Given the likely surfeit of certain civil airframes available for conversion in the near future, I wouldn't be at all surprised if *converted civil* is the path chosen.

Especially given the extensive civil maintenance infrastructure at Dublin and Shannon.

Some sort of 'Government Jet' i.e. jointly owned by the Departments of Defence, Foreign Affairs and the Taoiseach, say, with flying and maintenance contracted out might be more palatable than a jet wholly owned and operated by the DF/AC.

Something the size of A300/310 or 757/767 is useful in that they'll carry approx 35+ tonnes/200pax over 5000kms.

The Dutch Gov bought a 737 BBJ and KLM were awarded the contract to maintain and fly it. Between Dublin and Shannon, and Ryanair and Aer Lingus, there are options along those lines.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Some sort of 'Government Jet' i.e. jointly owned by the Departments of Defence, Foreign Affairs and the Taoiseach, say, with flying and maintenance contracted out might be more palatable than a jet wholly owned and operated by the DF/AC.

Something the size of A300/310 or 757/767 is useful in that they'll carry approx 35+ tonnes/200pax over 5000kms.

The Dutch Gov bought a 737 BBJ and KLM were awarded the contract to maintain and fly it. Between Dublin and Shannon, and Ryanair and Aer Lingus, there are options along those lines.

This is what I see happening TBH.
    A returned 737, as we have plenty of maintenance and support available in country for the type and it would likely be utilised for other roles and private hire when not in state use.

banie01 wrote: »
    This is what I see happening TBH.
    A returned 737, as we have plenty of maintenance and support available in country for the type and it would likely be utilised for other roles and private hire when not in state use.

The holding company behind the RAF's A330 fleet used to fly for Thomas Cook to Central America.

Ordinary tasks for Leo's "heavy airlift" might be:

- Rotating troops to the Leb
    - DFAT's aid flights

Ad hoc tasks would be:

- Medevac from the likes of the Leb or Mali, say
    - Another situation like Libya or Nepal where large numbers of Irish need to be got out of somewhere

The A310 MRTT (without the AAR) on the way out of service in Germany and Canada is a type still used in large numbers by the freighters, can carry 200+ people or nearly 40 tons of cargo on the convertible passenger deck easily over +5,000kms. It also can be fitted for ICU beds with the Luftwaffe making use of this facility only very recently, transporting COVID patients from Italy to Germany. That is a useful kicker for an Irish politician looking for funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

The KC-390 is in limbo at the moment due to the abandonment of the Boeing-Embraer tie up.

It's not a bird I'd be buying until the one and outs of that are sorted.

If he wants "heavy" it's likely a 4 engined turboprop of which there are only 2 contenders or a Cargo jet converted civil or mil spec.

Given the likely surfeit of certain civil airframes available for conversion in the near future, I wouldn't be at all surprised if *converted civil* is the path chosen.

Especially given the extensive civil maintenance infrastructure at Dublin and Shannon.

Sure as hell wouldn't want the AC to be one of the first buyers, is the Portuguese buy still going ahead? In terms of what could be bought I'd go with European though the A400 would be too much for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Exactly my thinkin Sparky.

• Advertisement

Sure as hell wouldn't want the AC to be one of the first buyers, is the Portuguese buy still going ahead? In terms of what could be bought I'd go with European though the A400 would be too much for us.

The whole break up of that deal is going to cost Boeing a large settlement and an apology, or if Embraer want to play hardball a very embarrassing court case IMO.

Boeing basically pulled the plug on an agreed deal that passed due diligence and all the preliminary stages.
    It's akin to refusing to draw down the mortgage after signing contracts!
    There seems to be a lot more ongoing regarding that deal too, none of which reflects well on the US side.

I think A400 is too much for us, and lacks MATS flexibility of that's a need.
    That said, a pool of A400 alá the pooled NATO AWACS wouldnt at all be a bad "EU" resource, give those battlegroups some decent logistics support whilst allowing a national logistics service during time of crisis.

I do think it will be a twinjet, either split cargo or convertible and it's an ideal option for us in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just to say he did not say "heavy" but that was the implication.

We needed aircraft for airlifts of our own troops basically and that we were relying on commercial or foreign entities.

He also said now was a good time for a good price for aircraft.

The whole break up of that deal is going to cost Boeing a large settlement and an apology, or if Embraer want to play hardball a very embarrassing court case IMO.

Boeing basically pulled the plug on an agreed deal that passed due diligence and all the preliminary stages.
    It's akin to refusing to draw down the mortgage after signing contracts!
    There seems to be a lot more ongoing regarding that deal too, none of which reflects well on the US side.

I think A400 is too much for us, and lacks MATS flexibility of that's a need.
    That said, a pool of A400 alá the pooled NATO AWACS wouldnt at all be a bad "EU" resource, give those battlegroups some decent logistics support whilst allowing a national logistics service during time of crisis.

I do think it will be a twinjet, either split cargo or convertible and it's an ideal option for us in fairness.

Didn't the Germans suggest something like that when they were trying to offload some of their A400's in their latest cuts? Or have they changed that policy since? Sadly given our current "stance" on Defence I think we'd have issues joining such a group mainly because we might have to pay for it and our wonderful left would be screaming about an "EU Military" or "PESCO" or some random ****e.

But yeah something like that I mean NZ operates 757's in such a "swing role" transport, troops and cargo, now the 757's might too buch but a couple of A330 variants perhaps if they could be got?

A330 too big and unnecessary.

Big difference between heavy-lift and airlift capability, but lets assume he means something like the NZ 757s, I'd suggest an A320 with modular fit-out would be more than sufficient. 100+ troops with personal gear or a full cargo load or medevac or VIP.

I agree that to make it a 'state' plane rather than DF inventory is the way to go, then it could be contracted out to whomever on wet lease (nice cheap time to enter a contract), doesn't eat into Air Corps resources, you can upgrade the airframe regularly to avoid Gulfstream type issues. Nice white paint job with tricolour paint scheme, ÉIRE | IRELAND on the fuselage, gold harps etc, be a brilliant ambassadorial asset on its travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Or another C295.

A330 too big and unnecessary.

Big difference between heavy-lift and airlift capability, but lets assume he means something like the NZ 757s, I'd suggest an A320 with modular fit-out would be more than sufficient. 100+ troops with personal gear or a full cargo load or medevac or VIP.

I agree that to make it a 'state' plane rather than DF inventory is the way to go, then it could be contracted out to whomever on wet lease (nice cheap time to enter a contract), doesn't eat into Air Corps resources, you can upgrade the airframe regularly to avoid Gulfstream type issues. Nice white paint job with tricolour paint scheme, ÉIRE | IRELAND on the fuselage, gold harps etc, be a brilliant ambassadorial asset on its travels.

Issue with making it a "State plane" is that it opens it up to attack from all the "Government Jet" angles...

Or another C295.

We'd need more than one of them to do any meaningful rotation or it would stretch out for ages.

Issue with making it a "State plane" is that it opens it up to attack from all the "Government Jet" angles...

It does, but conversely the one actual 'Government Jet' is an Air Corps plane and it makes no difference to people who object to it.

Its a case of pressing ahead and then demonstrating its actual value to the Country through social media, press profile etc, in a similar way to what the Naval Service have achieved through excellent quality PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

Maybe a C130 with a fit out similar to the US Coast Guard. It could cover transport and SAR. Although the C295MPA could probably cover the second role.

The Embraer is nice but you don't really want to be an early customer. We've done that already with the helicopters.

When people hear the words "Government jet" they tend to get vexed!

• Advertisement

Maybe a C130 with a fit out similar to the US Coast Guard. It could cover transport and SAR. Although the C295MPA could probably cover the second role.

The Embraer is nice but you don't really want to be an early customer. We've done that already with the helicopters.

When people hear the words "Government jet" they tend to get vexed!

How much cargo lift does it have once it's fitted for MPA? I mean does the Coast Guard actually use them in transport roles?

As for the Embraer as you said, we've been down that road more than once in the AC, it's never been a good experience.

The same people will get vexed at any spending that goes into Defence though so it's a no win there....

Advertisement