Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Euro Gold and Silver Commemorative coins

Comments

I called over at 10am this morning, no queue. Have seen no publicity at all for this coin. So much for the Launch Yesterday. Where was it held? Phone box out the back?

Anyhow, bought two. I'm not sure about the design. I'd have preferred the subject Larkin viewed from the front. The lock with 1913 on it reminds me of a charm off a charm bracelet.

Picked up one at lunchtime, no queue, agree it's not a great design.
    Some of the hats worn by the crowd seem a bit odd, more at home in Afghanistan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Does anyone know when they process postal orders?Sent mine in couple weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Tugboats wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they process postal orders?Sent mine in couple weeks ago

They usually start processing them on the day of release. If you paid using a credit or debit card you will see the transaction on your account on the day they post the coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madra_baiste

I notice the 1913 Lockout coin is produced by Pobjoy Mint. Have the CB used them before?

I notice the 1913 Lockout coin is produced by Pobjoy Mint. Have the CB used them before?

They only used them once before, as far as I know, and that was for the Monastic Art coin last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    They usually start processing them on the day of release. If you paid using a credit or debit card you will see the transaction on your account on the day they post the coin.

cheers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

So much for the Launch Yesterday. Where was it held? Phone box out the back?

The Glasnevin cemetery museum...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lando Griffins OTHER HALF

signostic wrote: »
    Lock out coin on sale today, my daughter went to the CB to collect a pair for me but when she was there at 10am she was the only customer...this coin launch has almost gone unnoticed.

Do people have a sense that the Central Bank is issuing:

1) too many coins
    2) going to run out of famous faces very quickly at the rate it is issuing them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

1) too many coins

1) Yes but only as regards mintages of each. Not that I think they're producing too many different types. Other Eurozone countries produce much more, like the commemorative 2 Euro coins, we only do those when we are forced to for Eurozone-wide issues.

2) No, it's not just faces but there's plenty of historical events that can be commemorated. I'm sure you'd find something every year if you went back on Irish history in steps of 25 or 50 years. Look at An Post, they always find something to commemorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Lando Griffins OTHER HALF

Blade wrote: »
    1) Yes but only as regards mintages of each.

yep, that's how I meant it.

2) No, it's not just faces but there's plenty of historical events that can be commemorated. I'm sure you'd find something every year if you went back on Irish history in steps of 25 or 50 years. Look at An Post, they always find something to commemorate.

true. just seems a lot recently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

1) too many coins
    1) Yes but only as regards mintages of each. Not that I think they're producing too many different types. Other Eurozone countries produce much more, like the commemorative 2 Euro coins, we only do those when we are forced to for Eurozone-wide issues.

The CB have only issued three 2 euro commemorative coins, 2007 Treaty of Rome, 2009 EMU (stick man) and 2012 10 Years of the Euro. These were issued by all Eurozone countries.
    I would like to see the CB issue 2 Euro commemoratives, we have lots to celebrate , take for example tiny Luxembourg who have issued 13 2 euro commemoratives including the three listed above since 2004

The Central Bank of Ireland will issue a €20 Gold Proof Coin celebrating Medieval Irish Architecture on 12 November 2013. The issue limit is 10,000 units. The coin weighs 0.5g with a diameter of 11mm. Price €48.

Also, just a reminder that the coin fair is on this weekend at the RDS and there's a numismatic's meeting on after it on the Friday evening, if anyone wants to go to that PM me for details or just ask at the numismatic's stand at the fair itself.

275964.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

The Central Bank of Ireland will issue a €20 Gold Proof Coin celebrating Medieval Irish Architecture on 12 November 2013. The issue limit is 10,000 units. The coin weighs 0.5g with a diameter of 11mm. Price €48.

Also, just a reminder that the coin fair is on this weekend at the RDS and there's a numismatic's meeting on after it on the Friday evening, if anyone wants to go to that PM me for details or just ask at the numismatic's stand at the fair itself.

Do you know if the Central Bank will have a stand at the Fair this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

The €20 celtic cross gold coin sold well at the time it was released.
    I wonder will this be the same for this one?

signostic wrote: »
    Do you know if the Central Bank will have a stand at the Fair this weekend?

They always have a stand. You won't be able to buy the 'Rock of Cashel' coin but you will be able to buy any coins they still have in stock. Which is basically whatever they have on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Nice coin! just wondering how is it that they sometimes mint a gold coin at 1.24g or 1g but it still has the same face value as a 0.5g coin ie €20. ive also wondered that about the silver coins their 28.28g yet some have a face value of €10 and others €15, any comments would be great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Nice coin! just wondering how is it that they sometimes mint a gold coin at 1.24g or 1g but it still has the same face value as a 0.5g coin ie €20. ive also wondered that about the silver coins their 28.28g yet some have a face value of €10 and others €15, any comments would be great!!

Here's my tuppence worth.

In order for a coin to be a coin, as distinct from a medal or medallion, it has to be issued by a government (or some form of governing body!) and have a denomination (face value).

The metal (precious or otherwise) content of a coin makes no difference to the face value of the coin. Hence we have seen coins being melted down for their scrap value when the value of the metal of which they were made became worth more than the face value of the coin. In recent years laws were introduced in the US banning the melting down of nickels and cents, which was occurring due to the rise in the price of copper.

I don't know how the weight of the gold commemorative coins is decided but it may be that it is an attempt to keep the price of the coins fairly affordable for the average collector. Any increase in the weight of gold in the coins would dramatically increase their price. Also larger gold coins are often purchased for investment purposes and the Central Bank may wish to avoid getting involved in that area (having to re-price the coins continually to match movements in the price of gold).

The silver coins are sterling silver which is 92.5% silver with the balance made up of another metal, generally copper. I'd say that the silver coins are at 28.28 grams as this is roughly equal to an ounce, which weight has been a kind of standard weight for larger silver coins for years. Silver being that much cheaper than gold, any volatility in it's price is easier to cope with.

Thanks hownowcow,really good post I think a lot of people are unaware that commemeratives coins are even minted maybe better advertising perhaps needed. I think €48 is prob enough for a coin its size but they have their collectable value I suppose

It looks like 2014 will be a quiet year for Irish commemorative coins.

In January the annual coin set will start a new series of annual coin sets with a 'Marine' theme.
    In February a 10 Euro silver coin will be released as part of the 'Europa Coin Programme'. This years theme is European musicians. Our coin will feature the tenor John McCormack.
    In May a 20 Euro gold coin will be released commemorating the 1,000th anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf.
    In September there will be a 15 Euro silver coin starting a new series of coins on the theme of Irish Science and Invention. The coin will depict John Philip Holland the inventor of the submarine.
    There is no double coin set planned for 2014.

Personally, I've never heard of John McCormack and have little interest in the Battle of Clontarf. There have been many great Irish scientists, so that new coin series does have some potential.

It looks like 2014 will be a quiet year for Irish commemorative coins.

In January the annual coin set will start a new series of annual coin sets with a 'Marine' theme.
    In February a 10 Euro silver coin will be released as part of the 'Europa Coin Programme'. This years theme is European musicians. Our coin will feature the tenor John McCormack.
    In May a 20 Euro gold coin will be released commemorating the 1,000th anniversary of the Battle of Clontarf.
    In September there will be a 15 Euro silver coin starting a new series of coins on the theme of Irish Science and Invention. The coin will depict John Philip Holland the inventor of the submarine.
    There is no double coin set planned for 2014.

Personally, I've never heard of John McCormack and have little interest in the Battle of Clontarf. There have been many great Irish scientists, so that new coin series does have some potential.

Thanks for that.

Your post made me think about my coins. I prefer those that don't have people on them, animals or designs appeal to me. I like pre-decimal Irish and have a particular weakness for decimals.

That said one of my favourite coins is a little King John hammered silver halfpenny that was probably made a short distance from where I am right now, although the depiction of King John would not be what would be called realistic. The recessed design of the US two and a half dollar and five dollar Indian head coins have also put them on my favourites list.

John McCormack was a world famous Irish tenor, probably something like the U2 of his day. He died nearly seventy years ago so it's mostly enthusiasts that keep his memory alive now. I worked in a job years ago where I had occasion to deal with something to do with him so I know a little about him.

• Advertisement

Hownowcow wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Your post made me think about my coins. I prefer those that don't have people on them, animals or designs appeal to me. I like pre-decimal Irish and have a particular weakness for decimals.

I agree with you. Particularly when it comes to the small gold commemorative coins. Portraits just end up looking like a smudge. You really need to stick to a simple or clean or geometric image when you have that little space. At least on the silver coins there is more space and you can clearly see a more complicated design.

I can never predict how popular or not a coin is going to be. For example, I was always surprised that the three 'Animals of Irish Coinage' silver coins did not sell better. The designs were simple and beautiful, the coins were big, animals such as the Horse, Fish and Hound are popular animals and finally anyone who lived in Ireland between 1928 and 2001 would have memories of these images on their coinage. Yet after three years the coins still have not sold out.

I agree with you. Particularly when it comes to the small gold commemorative coins. Portraits just end up looking like a smudge. You really need to stick to a simple or clean or geometric image when you have that little space. At least on the silver coins there is more space and you can clearly see a more complicated design.

I can never predict how popular or not a coin is going to be. For example, I was always surprised that the three 'Animals of Irish Coinage' silver coins did not sell better. The designs were simple and beautiful, the coins were big, animals such as the Horse, Fish and Hound are popular animals and finally anyone who lived in Ireland between 1928 and 2001 would have memories of these images on their coinage. Yet after three years the coins still have not sold out.

Absolutely, I often thought that the design on the small gold coins is far too complicated for the size of the coin. The Antartic Explorers gold coin is a decent size, but again I'm still not pushed on the design.

The animal series is excellent.

First of the order forms for the Rock of Cashels arrived today, so you should all be getting them soon.

First of the order forms for the Rock of Cashels arrived today, so you should all be getting them soon.

I got mine yesterday too. I have the form filled but didnt get around to posting it today. Will do on monday. I dont expect the 10K coins to be all sold fast. Although the gold celtic cross did sell relatively fast a few years back.

Did anyone pick up a Rock of Cashel coin at the central bank today?

no im in two minds whether to purchase one or not! it will be the first time in years I havent I think its the 0.5g gold thats putting me off! Im not really keen on them its a shame they dont keep it to 1g or 1.24g a bit more insentive there to buy

I'm not too excited about this coin but I will buy one for my collection. I agree 0.5g is awful small.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

I'm not too excited about this coin but I will buy one for my collection. I agree 0.5g is awful small.

Forget about .5 or even 1 when is the CB going to get there act together and produce decent coins like half ounce or even one full troy ounce??

Last time they produced a decent size gold one was about 6yrs ago. Other countries produce far more decent sized ones than here, at least one every 2 or 3 yrs would be something

Im in total agreement with you! A nice 1/4 or 1/2 ounce would be great! For me there is too big a markup on them coins €48 euro for a half gram I think they were similarly priced before for the 1g and 1.24g so I personally dont see the value

Did anyone pick up a Rock of Cashel coin at the central bank today?

I picked one up today, there seemed to be no one else buying coins.
    Disappointed with it, and I think this will be the last small gold coin I buy.
    The coin is just too small, and the design too difficult to make out,

• Advertisement

I picked up one today and have changed my mind. I actually quite like it. It is very small but the design is nice and clean. Also the coin box is a lovely chocolate colour. I have a serious sweet tooth and keep on getting tempted to take a bite out of the box as it looks like a big sweety sitting on my desk.

Officially the coin is actually called the 'Medieval Irish Architecture' coin but that is a bit of a mouthful, so I'm going to stick to calling it the 'Rock of Cashel' coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Got mine in the post this morning - have to say like dursey, im a little bit disappointed with the size - the detail is lost...

Its the first gold commemorative coin that ive bought (usually stick to the silver) and probably the last, sniff...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madra_baiste

I picked one up for my father in law last week. I didn't bother getting one for myself, the coin is way too small for my liking, think I'll stick to the silver ones. In my view a coin needs to be something that you can visualise people using, I think a coin of this size is far too small to ever circulate.

The 2014 Annual Mint Set is scheduled for release in early January 2014. Theme: 'Ireland as an Island Nation'. The issue limit has been set at 12,000. Price €25.00.

284769.jpg

I'm not normally a fan of the annual mint sets. But I like the look of this one.

The 2014 uncirculated coin set and the 2014 baby set both went on sale today. The prices are €25 each.

They are not on the Central Bank website yet but they are taking orders over the phone. They can also be bought over the counter at the Central Bank on Dame Street. I don't know if it has been mentioned previously, but they have now moved the tellers down to the lobby at the Central Bank, so you no longer have to go through security and up in the lift. You can just walk in the front door and buy directly from the tellers in the reception area.

The 2014 coin sets were added to the Central Bank website and order form last night.

The 2014 €10 Silver Proof John McCormack Coin will be launched on 29 January 2014. The issue limit is 8,000 units. The coin, struck to proof quality in sterling .925silver, weighs 28.28g and has a diameter of 38.61 mm. Price €44.

287909.jpg

This morning I received the mailshot from the Central Bank about the new John McCormack coin. The mailshot is a bit different from the usual leaflet. It is actually a 10 page booklet. There are 4 pages advertising the John McCormack coin, 2 pages advertising the 2014 annual mint set and the rest of the booklet advertises every other product still available from the collector coin unit. The back page confirms the release of the Battle of Clontarf and John Philip Holland coins later in the year.

• Advertisement

I have not received anything in the post yet about the mccormick coin but i will be getting one. I like its design actually.

I look forward to getting that booklet in the post someday soon :)

I don't imagine the coin is going to sell too well as the subject isn't that popular. But I think it is a beautiful coin. One of the nicest they have produced in a long time.

I don't imagine the coin is going to sell too well as the subject isn't that popular. But I think it is a beautiful coin. One of the nicest they have produced in a long time.

I totally agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

Did anyone notice the typo on p10 of the new booklet? Just sent the CB an email about it.

MasterSun wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the typo on p10 of the new booklet? Just sent the CB an email about it.

What typo are you referring to?
    I dont have the booklet, just interested.

well spotted mastersun I assume your on about the 2009 proof set advertised in booklet for €90 when in fact it is only €80 to buy on the website

• Advertisement

In relation to the new booklet, they must have some ammount of stock left from previous releases, it always ammuses me how every new coin they release is attracting huge interest worldwide yet never seem to sell out. in relation to the new coin I think the design is great, I,ll be buying one for my collection but I doubt there will be much interest unless it gets some kind of news coverage.

well spotted mastersun I assume your on about the 2009 proof set advertised in booklet for €90 when in fact it is only €80 to buy on the website

yes

In relation to the new booklet, they must have some ammount of stock left from previous releases, it always ammuses me how every new coin they release is attracting huge interest worldwide yet never seem to sell out. in relation to the new coin I think the design is great, I,ll be buying one for my collection but I doubt there will be much interest unless it gets some kind of news coverage.

Yes, How is the coin attracting all this attention when we have only just received a brochure to tell us it exists??

Also I noticed that the 2007 Treaty of Rome uncirculated set is available from the website. Unless I'm mistaken I don't remember this being there before, perhaps they found some old stock. It is not listed in the booklet that came in the post and either is the 2007 Proof set though that is also on line.

Also I noticed that the 2007 Treaty of Rome uncirculated set is available from the website. Unless I'm mistaken I don't remember this being there before, perhaps they found some old stock. It is not listed in the booklet that came in the post and either is the 2007 Proof set though that is also on line.

Heard a story that they found a box of 1971 specimen sets in their vault a few years ago.

MasterSun wrote: »
    Heard a story that they found a box of 1971 specimen sets in their vault a few years ago.

These things aren't unusual and when they do happen they are usually offered cheap to dealers just to get rid of them. I was offered stuff myself in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement