Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are quite a few willowherbs, always found them difficult to distinguish until they started to flower.

1.Crepis capillaries, Smooth Hawksbeard
    2.Epilobium montanum Broadleaved Willowherb
    3.Plantago lanceolata Ribwort Plantain

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1.Crepis capillaries, Smooth Hawksbeard
    2.Epilobium montanum Broadleaved Willowherb
    3.Plantago lanceolata Ribwort Plantain
    Could you please be more specific? :pac: :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

rebecc29 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice of how to get moss out of your grass? My garden seems to be half and half at the moment!

Rake it all out and re seed it with chamomile or creeping thyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Looking to see if others can figure out this hedge plant, perennial, like a box maybe ? Quite large however, it's been planted a good 12 years however ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looks very like a type of escallonia, but I wouldn't be sure what type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looking for an id on this shrub/tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

KilOit wrote: »
    Looking for an id on this shrub/tree

Think it's Portuguese laurel - prunus lusitanica

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Newish lawn. This has popped up in the last 2 weeks.. Lots of it. It is sprawls in every direction. Anyone recognize it?

Year old lawn. Grass is in need of some feeding but have noticed this plant has started to sprawl in every direction over the last 2 weeks. Anyone recognize it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some sort of vetch.

Looked that up just now in google images and yea, it seems to be what you say it is. I'd already tried the reverse image search and although some of the images in google look very similar, it didn't return results.
    Thanks for the assist.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Looks very like a type of escallonia, but I wouldn't be sure what type.

Something like that perhaps yes, but it's 100% not evergreen, I'm left with a bare hedge come winter..

Might take a clipping down to the garden center and see what they make of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi!
    Made short video posts of two plants in the garden that I'm not sure what they are. Any help identifying them would be appreciated.
    Pink flowered wild flower.
    Yellow flowered wild flower.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭standardg60

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Something like that perhaps yes, but it's 100% not evergreen, I'm left with a bare hedge come winter..

Might take a clipping down to the garden center and see what they make of it .

It's definitely escallonia, maybe you're in a very cold area which causes it to deleaf in winter.

macraignil wrote: »
    Hi!
    Made short video posts of two plants in the garden that I'm not sure what they are. Any help identifying them would be appreciated.
    Pink flowered wild flower.
    Yellow flowered wild flower.
    Thanks!
    1. is Cut-leaved Cranesbill
    2. is Wood Avens

1. is Cut-leaved Cranesbill
    2. is Wood Avens

Just checked the images for those two and you're spot on. Thanks very much!

I think the first one is some kind of geranium or cranesbill, and the second is geum or wood avens. I can't guarantee either of those!

Just a point m, not sure about others but I find it easier to identify plants from a couple of good photos where you can see the flower in detail, the shape of the leaf clearly and whether it grows in twos opposite or alternately on the stem, and preferably a bit of the stem too. Also a little more distant shot so the shape of the plant can be seen.

Edit - ah, too late! Blaris got it while i was nattering on! At least we agree.

It's definitely escallonia, maybe you're in a very cold area which causes it to deleaf in winter.

This makes more sense now alright, usually the first frost seems to kick it in to loosing it's leaves. such a shame, but i can only blame the previous owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats this...

id1.jpg

and whats this...

id2.jpg

thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ash seedling and a willowherb, by the looks of it. the ash tree is not one you want to leave where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

willow herb and herb robert are two entirely different plants?

fryup wrote: »
    willow herb and herb robert are two entirely different plants?

Yes. They are different plants. The herb robert has leaves that are much more segmented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I found a plant like the one in the pic attached, last Autumn in the garden. Without knowing what it was and the pod open, I scattered the seeds around. Lol? I had spread wildflower seeds in the previous Spring and thought it was just another normal wildflower.
    Now I've spotted, I think, another one growing.
    I don't know if more are coming up.
    Should I leave them be?
    I took a pic at the time last year but I've lost it.
    Datura..

Are you absolutely sure it is datura? If it is, I presume you know how poisonous it is? (at very least an hallucinogen, reputed to be dangerous and unpredictable).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

I noticed this when walking through Trinity College Dublin and it was absolutely swamped with bumblebees (which is great!)

Can anyone tell me if it's catmint? or something else?

Reverse image search just threw up lavender but I don't think that's correct.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Yes definitely Catmint..its a magnet for Bees and and later in the season Butterflies, I've been growing it for years, its one of those bulletproof plants

looksee wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure it is datura? If it is, I presume you know how poisonous it is? (at very least an hallucinogen, reputed to be dangerous and unpredictable).

Well the seed pod last year was identical to that in the image.
    I had never seen anything like it. So searching online I learned its deadly potential.
    It was in a corner of the garden with high walls, so well sheltered. It's where we feed the birds so presumably it came in with them.
    When I handled it, the plant was dead - woody, luckily. The seeds don't germinate easily but can remain viable for a long time but for how long in this climate is a guess I suppose.
    I better keep gloves to hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

auspicious wrote: »
    Well the seed pod last year was identical to that in the image.
    I had never seen anything like it. So searching online I learned its deadly potential.
    It was in a corner of the garden with high walls, so well sheltered. It's where we feed the birds so presumably it came in with them.
    When I handled it, the plant was dead - woody, luckily. The seeds don't germinate easily but can remain viable for a long time but for how long in this climate is a guess I suppose.
    I better keep gloves to hand!

If you can keep some, I'd love some seed of that. Dry, warm garden. I love exotics.

• Advertisement

Day Lewin wrote: »
    If you can keep some, I'd love some seed of that. Dry, warm garden. I love exotics.

Will have to wait a few months to see. But sure np.

Advertisement