Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭macraignil

lottpaul wrote: »
    Plant is a sisyrinchium.

Second one is a weed afaik - can't remember what it is - and could be wrong!

The one in the pot looks like dead nettle/lamium which could be described as a wild flower or a weed depending on whose garden it is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Cody OHare

macraignil wrote: »
    The one in the pot looks like dead nettle/lamium which could be described as a wild flower or a weed depending on whose garden it is in.

having looked it up, I does look like dead nettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Cody OHare wrote: »
    having looked it up, I does look like dead nettle.

Dead nettle is a grand little plant/weed. I have it in patches, it'll spread if you let it but it's easier to control than most other perennials. Nice purple flowers which bees like.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

Can you help with this plant. I have three of them in a shaded area, two of them look dead and this one is struggling.

Anyone?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 28,176 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Anyone?

Poor thing, you should put it out of its misery! Could be a geranium of some sort possibly. Unless it has a mass of buds emerging at ground level at the bottom of all that dead stuff, its a gonner.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Poor thing, you should put it out of its misery! Could be a geranium of some sort possibly. Unless it has a mass of buds emerging at ground level at the bottom of all that dead stuff, its a gonner.

I think your right with geranium (cranesbill). Very few green shoots so I think its a "gonner". Any reason why three plants would fail in the same area?

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I think your right with geranium (cranesbill). Very few green shoots so I think its a "gonner". Any reason why three plants would fail in the same area?

Geraniums hate shade, from competing plants, fences, hedges trees etc and also wet or heavy soil. If you replant them in a very well drained and sunny spot and they might recover.

Could someone please identify the purple plant / weed growing through the Choisya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Looks very like willow herb. Spreads very quickly if allowed go to seed.

I think this is Purple Toadflax, you must be around Dublin, the only place I've seen this.

• Advertisement

I think this is Purple Toadflax, you must be around Dublin, the only place I've seen this.

Yes, Dublin. Is this a weed?

Yes, looked at some images of purple toad flax and very similar. Classed as a "wild flower":confused:

It's a garden flower that has gone wild in places, so a matter of opinion I suppose. I'd love to have it turn up in my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Day Lewin wrote: »
    If you can keep some, I'd love some seed of that. Dry, warm garden. I love exotics.
    auspicious wrote: »
    When I handled it, the plant was dead - woody, luckily. !

https://agrowinggarden.com/blog/angels-trumpet-flower-or-devils-trumpet-flower/

So it may not be datura if it appears.

Meanwhile
    Think this is a queen buff-tailed bumblebee on Red Campions which took a hammering in the rain.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Apologies for the ****e/large pic - car was pulling away when I decided to take the pic. It's a woody hedge of sorts with clusters of pink flowers. Absolutely swarming with Bees.

482209.png

I'd be fascinated to know what that is! Couldn't be a clematis I suppose? It seems to have 5 petals. Clematis flowers don't usually grow in bunches - do they?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Was that photo taken in Ireland?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

New Home wrote: »
    Was that photo taken in Ireland?

Yep. Alfie Byrne Road in Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭standardg60

I would say it's a large flowering variety of escallonia from the leaves and general form.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this one?

weed4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭macraignil

fryup wrote: »
    this one?

weed4.jpg

Is it a type of sow thistle?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here's another one..

weed5.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Horse tail. Or cosmos. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Definitely mare's tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Could anyone ID this please? Saw it growing outside a church in my area recently enough.

482754.jpg

🤪

Looks like osteospermum, aka veldt daisy. They are closed because they need a bit of sunshine to open. Nice plant, vigorous, easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've got scores of Scarlet Pimpernel - Anagallis arvensis appearing at the top of the garden (since I cleared it of brambles over the winter a few hitherto unseen flowers are appearing in the space) are these at all bee friendly or will they just look nice for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Shaunoc wrote: »
    i'm looking at it for 3 years - yet to see it flower. directly in my line of sight from work desk.
    it'll stay for this year

Viola !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Viola !

Looks like some sort of Turk's Cap lily, lovely! Would have thought it might need a bit more light that directly under a tree, could you transplant stone if it in autumn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Speedsie wrote: »
    Looks like some sort of Turk's Cap lily, lovely! Would have thought it might need a bit more light that directly under a tree, could you transplant stone if it in autumn?

we have tormented it in the past few years with heavy machinery and earthworks.
    gets early and late sun directly and must be getting enough throught the Ash canopy which is not that thick.
    I think i'll leave well enough alone as it came good and looks impressive enough for now. not sure if it would/could continue flowering for much of summer...

Advertisement