Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

serfboard wrote: »
    Just because he is leading the polls, doesn't mean Nigel Farage is a good man.

Yeah, but my point is that if you listen to RTE you would think that the most critical point is that Sinead O'Carroll and journal.ie think that it's a terrible idea to leave the EU, as opposed to the fact that this is what the British people democratically voted for. RTE seems to prefer to have journalists explain away how people voted, as opposed to respecting the democratic votes of the citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,851 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Yeah, but my point is that if you listen to RTE you would think that the most critical point is that Sinead O'Carroll and journal.ie think that it's a terrible idea to leave the EU, as opposed to the fact that this is what the British people democratically voted for. RTE seems to prefer to have journalists explain away how people voted, as opposed to respecting the democratic votes of the citizens.

The British people 'democratically voted for' a tissue of lies, deception, deliberately misleading bullshyt, and utter hogwash, every element of which can be proved to be so, in retrospect.
    Unfortunately, the majority of the voting public at the time were woefully ill- and under-informed of any semblence of the truth so that they fell for such lies and scurrilous manipulation.
    As always, democracy is shown to have an easily manipulated weak side to it.
    Now, having said all that, I voted for Britain to enter the EEC / EEA in the mid-70s, but I certainly didn't vote for membership of a European Super-State which it set itself on a course towards, quite unapproved by any ordinary Joe Soap voters anywhere in Europe.
    Even so, I'd have voted Remain this time around, in the hope of carrying out some reforms from within.
    Always remember Bertie's words of wisdom; "'Tis better to be inside the tent pissing out."
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The British people 'democratically voted for' a tissue of lies, deception, deliberately misleading bullshyt, and utter hogwash, every element of which can be proved to be so, in retrospect.
    Unfortunately, the majority of the voting public at the time were woefully ill- and under-informed of any semblence of the truth so that they fell for such lies and scurrilous manipulation.
    As always, democracy is shown to have an easily manipulated weak side to it.
    Now, having said all that, I voted for Britain to enter the EEC / EEA in the mid-70s, but I certainly didn't vote for membership of a European Super-State which it set itself on a course towards, quite unapproved by any ordinary Joe Soap voters anywhere in Europe.
    Even so, I'd have voted Remain this time around, in the hope of carrying out some reforms from within.
    Always remember Bertie's words of wisdom; "'Tis better to be inside the tent pissing out."

If I remember correctly the point of the Bertie comment was that if you had them in the tent you could control them and basically neurtalise them .. just saying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The point is, though, why where they open to such lies and manipulation? Because their standard of life has declined, and they wanted to give two fingers to the establishment, who wanted them to vote Remain.

The reason for the decline in their standard of life, of course, has nothing got to do with the EU, and if anything, the Brexiteers will make their lives worse, given the chance.
    I certainly didn't vote for membership of a European Super-State which it set itself on a course towards
    And that's fine - there are some many different levels of arrangement you can have now - EEA/EFTA/Switzerland. Unfortunately, none of these concrete proposals were on the ballot paper. There was no concrete proposal on the ballot paper, and thus the UK has the problem it now has - which type of Brexit do you want?
    quite unapproved by any ordinary Joe Soap voters anywhere in Europe.
    Anywhere except here! We've had referendums at differing stages of deepening European integration, thanks to the Crotty judgement, which itself is a result of having a written constitution (unlike the UK).

Also, changes to the European Union were agreed by democratically-elected heads of state.
    Not a Bertie original, though - in fact originally said by Lyndon Johnson in 1971.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Marion , doing a Darth Vader impression this morning .

• Advertisement

Seamus Mallon , a great man but Jesus he always went on and on and on and a statement was always only the first paragraph in a long monologue .

Oops69 wrote: »
    Seamus Mallon , a great man but Jesus he always went on and on and on and a statement was always only the first paragraph in a long monologue .

One of the bravest & most honourable men Ireland has produced, straight talking, blunt & never obfuscated.

Can't wait to get my hands on his book.

Callan57 wrote: »
    One of the bravest & most honourable men Ireland has produced, straight talking, blunt & never obfuscated.

Can't wait to get my hands on his book.
    straight talking ,yes , but it took him a long time to do it .

Am I right in hearing that RTE had a climate change denier on this morning. Very unusual to have a disparate voice on the subject on. Did he say much, is it worth listening back to?

Am I right in hearing that RTE had a climate change denier on this morning. Very unusual to have a disparate voice on the subject on. Did he say much, is it worth listening back to?

Why would anything a denier had to say be in any way interesting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Holy Jaysus, Bertie Ahern on - again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Anybody else surprised by how little the Maria Bailey story featured today or yesterday? I understand why RTE might not have given it much coverage before polls closed on Friday. However, I think it should be open season yesterday and today; even more so today once her had has been dropped. This is an important political story and deserves comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

boombang wrote: »
    Anybody else surprised by how little the Maria Bailey story featured today or yesterday? I understand why RTE might not have given it much coverage before polls closed on Friday. However, I think it should be open season yesterday and today; even more so today once her had has been dropped. This is an important political story and deserves comment.

Newstalk didn't shy away from it - they asked every FG TD that was on about it (well any I heard) and asked non-FG about it too.
    Also in fairness to Matt Cooper (TLW - TodayFM), he also has been on this a good bit during last week & I'd be surprised if there is no mention or a slot about it next week as himself & Charlie Weston were tweeting about it.

Listening to Marian Finucane over the past while, they really badly need to do a overhaul of the guests, she is not used to chatting to young vibrant politicians, journalists, bloggers or business people - she showed that yesterday with her "talking down, condescending " interview with Saoirse (GP MEP) yesterday! It was embarrassing for a veteran interviewer!

RTE badly need to look at this slot on a Saturday & Sunday and need to open their eyes to a different type of show with more diverse panels and innovative presenters!

robo wrote: »
    Newstalk didn't shy away from it - they asked every FG TD that was on about it (well any I heard) and asked non-FG about it too.
    Also in fairness to Matt Cooper (TLW - TodayFM), he also has been on this a good bit during last week & I'd be surprised if there is no mention or a slot about it next week as himself & Charlie Weston were tweeting about it.

Listening to Marian Finucane over the past while, they really badly need to do a overhaul of the guests, she is not used to chatting to young vibrant politicians, journalists, bloggers or business people - she showed that yesterday with her "talking down, condescending " interview with Saoirse (GP MEP) yesterday! It was embarrassing for a veteran interviewer!

RTE badly need to look at this slot on a Saturday & Sunday and need to open their eyes to a different type of show with more diverse panels and innovative presenters!

Agree completly ... it was cringemaking.
    I don't think there was any shortage of discussion of the Maria Bailey "story" including plenty of jokes but why has there been no mention of the 3 councillors who featured on the Prime Time investigation all be reelected?
    :rolleyes:

"Theresa May made just about every mistake in the book" says Bertie. He really does have some neck given what he presided over.

Anybody else surprised by how little the Maria Bailey story featured today or yesterday?

I think the whole mocking tone of the whole story from the media is really objectionable. The inference of almost every story I've read is that it was essentially her own damned fault and she was trying to pull a fast one for a few quid.

I read this morning that she's dropping the case anyway. She said that she just wanted to get the medical expenses of 7K for something that she thought was negligent on the hotel's part.

An outpouring of sympathy for Maria Bailey here.

"Unfair!", "The visuals were all wrong!", "lack of nuance!"

Jesus, the woman seems to have given false information under oath. In other places, she'd be out on her ear, or up before a judge.

What did she lie about?

(I don't know the full ins and outs)

What did she lie about?

(I don't know the full ins and outs)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057982304

An outpouring of sympathy for Maria Bailey here.

"Unfair!", "The visuals were all wrong!", "lack of nuance!"

Jesus, the woman seems to have given false information under oath. In other places, she'd be out on her ear, or up before a judge.

Bertie said Maria's father is a good man. If the Wikipedia page on him is correct, he is not a good man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

"Theresa May made just about every mistake in the book" says Bertie. He really does have some neck given what he presided over.

I also can't forgive him, but you cannot deny he is one of the shrewdest men around. I thought his thoughts about the current state of the Brexit crisis were very rational. He knows how these things go. Like him or loathe him he has a great political acumen.

What did she lie about?
    She entered a sworn affidavit saying that she had been a keen runner prior to the accident but could not run at all for three months post-accident.

Three weeks after the accident, she ran the Dun Laoghaire 10k race.

She ran it in 53 minutes, which is approximately 11km/ hour.

Edit: I edited my previous post to simply say she gave false information. We can't say that she lied, I suppose.

Bertie said Maria's father is a good man. If the Wikipedia page on him is correct, he is not a good man.
    I wouldn't be too reliant on Ahern as a judge of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I also can't forgive him, but you cannot deny he is one of the shrewdest men around. I thought his thoughts about the current state of the Brexit crisis were very rational. He knows how these things go. Like him or loathe him he has a great political acumen.

He has not, sorry to burst your bubble.

He presided over the greatest boom ever experienced in this country and because he didn’t want to say no or stop he ran the lot of us over a cliff.

That’s what a lot of these stults cannot get their heads around, you have to apply the brakes when things start getting dangerous. You have to take the unpopular decisions at some stage, you can’t be all things to all men at all times.

Watch this Green Wave stuff, everyone gung ho, great stuff.

Wait till the COST of all this stuff seeps down to taxpayer, higher fuel/heating costs,carbon taxes, bus corridors, cycle lanes, conjestion costs, car tax hikes...then the penny will drop

All well and fine to laud this but everyone must buy in, and what’s the chance of that happening.....nil and forkhhe all.

Mom and Apple Pie stuff.

Oh dear God listening to the podcast now & the sniffling and snottering is really difficult to listen to ... I long for someone to hand her the box of tissues

Callan57 wrote: »
    Oh dear God listening to the podcast now & the sniffling and snottering is really difficult to listen to ... I long for someone to hand her the box of tissues

Yeah, I heard the start of the programme and it sounded for all the world as if she was about to hawk up a massive greaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah, I heard the start of the programme and it sounded for all the world as if she was about to hawk up a massive greaser.

Yeah felt like she would leave a ‘taxi-mans omelette’ on the studio floor or a ‘gold watch’

Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

More utter cliches from Marian and co this morning

Such a self satisfied and LAZY broadcaster

You honestly would get more intelligent and interesting conversation in your local nursing home

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The forgiveness of Maria Bailey has begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Great interview atm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement