Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Heard admits to beating up Johnny Depp

Options

Comments

Mental health is a huge business, not just for Psychologists, but also for the Pharmaceutical companies. It makes sense from a marketing perspective to have people assigning, this and that, for someone's behavior because it keeps mental heath foremost in everyone's minds (thus reinforcing the marketing campaigns). It's also connected to the attitude that victims are completely blameless for what happens, and anyone with a mental condition is similarly a victim (while also being almost insulted for having that supposed mental illness).

Very interesting. There are many who have mental ill health and who use it to avoid taking any responsibility for themselves or their behaviour. Now I'm not referring to psychosis or a personality disorder such as NPD, in fact I'm not really talking about anything diagnosable, I don't like diagnoses.
    We can struggle hugely in life, so much so that we need professional help. Within that struggle there are those who will use their pain as an excuse to behave badly and like above take zero responsibility.

At the end of the day the buck stops with each individual.

There are those however who work in mental health and can recognise what I wrote in my previous post as being an issue with some. They can work with the client to support them to move in to a place of self responsibility and autonomy. There are also those who have no interest in being part of a vast marketing scheme of, I don't know, "let's keep everyone feeling they have a pathology so we can have work". Instead they care. They care about people and they care about each person having a decent shot a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or - and this is just my humble of course - because we have medicalised damned near every aspect of human behaviour we have fallen into the trap of trying to apply labels to the normal spectrum of human behaviour all over the place. The milder the "symptoms" the more likely this will happen. Well it does keep researchers and therapists and therapies going. It certainly hasn't helped with mental health overall as the incidence of mental illness has gone up. Which is the opposite of what usually happens when conditions are identified and treatments developed, the number of sufferers goes down.

again, fair points but id have to largely disagree, ive been interacting with mental health professionals since my diagnoses, research is only pouring in over the last couple of decades regarding the complexity of such disorders, professionals now only realizing, milder cases were completely overlooked, such a myself. the educational psychologist that assessed myself explained they knew there was a small group, which included myself, simply didnt fit the criteria and understanding of dyslexia at the time, but research eventually caught up with us, and we re starting to be picked up now. unfortunately you ll find many of these milder cases on the dole and in prison, if theyre lucky.

im personally glad of my diagnoses and subsequent medication, as ive been struggling with mental health issues since childhood, experiencing periods of fairly serious depression and anxiety, and the sad truth was, i was actually unable to communicate this to anyway. my father was the same, unfortunately he died without being diagnosed, i personally believe he was unable to communicate his fears of being ill, he died of cancer, by the time he was diagnosed, it was too late. communication issues being one of the main issues with autism.

i have my own ideas on why mental health issues are growing globally, i suspect its largely to do with the fundamental ideas and ideologies of how we have designed our economies and societies, in particular the neoliberial/neoclassical ideology, but that really is a whole other tread. i class this ideology as anti-human and anti-environmental in nature, its dangerous for all humans, including the wealthy. but i will admit there is an element of truth in what you re saying regarding medication, our economic systems are hard wired for profit maximization, we ve codded ourselves into thinking things such as trickle down etc, this isnt fully true. unfortunately this sets off a chain reaction of events whereby maximizing profits sometimes exceeds human needs, some called this 'gresham's dynamic', its a human behavioral issue.

the modern society is very poorly setup for people on the spectrum, we generally tend to be want to be left alone, but the modern world constantly wants/needs/demands your attention, phones being an example, im largely uncontactable, common with autism.

i suspect those that firmly believe in ideologies such as neoclassical suffer from
    'dichotomous thinking', and i have noticed their default position, particularly when failure occurs is, 'personal responsibility', not realizing the system failures that have lead to the individual 'failing', what if you re not able to communicate your struggles effectively!

believe it or not, the above took me an hour or so to put together, welcome to the world of developmental disorders and learning disabilities, baring in mind, im on the mild end!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ultrflat wrote: »
    You sound like you have no idea what your talking about.

I'm Dyslexic, in person I'm probably as intelligent as any one else my motor skills, problem solving skills are ridiculously fast my reaction speeds are disgusting.

Yet I struggle with punctuation, grammar and miss small mistakes. If I'm told, I've made a mistake but I can't see it. It just will not register.

Explain to me how you think seeing somebody can some how highlight dyslexia more?

If you look at how a dyslexic thinks, you'd understand a lot more to why they can asses dead peoples work and say that person is/was dyslexic. We naturally problem solve inherently we are outside of the box thinkers. It's why dyslexics are so amazing. :cool:

The point is forming a diagnosis of dyslexia in the first place does require an examination by a person who is qualified to do so. Most people simply aren’t, but that doesn’t stop some people from projecting their own ideas on others with no qualifications to do so.

That’s why the idea of diagnosing people who are dead as being dyslexic or autistic or anything else is something of a fools errand. It’s also why contrary to your opinion the vast majority of people who are dyslexic aren’t the least bit amazing, they’re ordinary as anyone else.

There are numerous different types of dyslexia so even imagining they all share similar characteristics in common such as being natural problem solvers or outside the box thinkers is nothing more than fanciful nonsense.

As for whether Depp may be autistic or not, there’s simply no way of knowing one way or the other, but a lifetime drink and drugs habit certainly wouldn’t make any possible diagnosis of anything any easier even by a professional who is qualified to do so, never mind ordinary people projecting their own ideas onto Depp.

The only thing I do know for certain is that none of the above excuses his behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Mental health is a huge business, not just for Psychologists, but also for the Pharmaceutical companies. It makes sense from a marketing perspective to have people assigning, this and that, for someone's behavior because it keeps mental heath foremost in everyone's minds (thus reinforcing the marketing campaigns). It's also connected to the attitude that victims are completely blameless for what happens, and anyone with a mental condition is similarly a victim (while also being almost insulted for having that supposed mental illness).

Mental Health has as well just become an 'in' thing that's lots of the young, girls specially I think like to think they have. Being unhappy, mediocre or unable to live a fantastic Facebook life isn't an ilness. But it gives them something to be a comfort that they are fantastic but just are being held back by their mental ilness issues. It's a load of balls really and they just neee a good shake and be told to get on with their lives and stop kidding themselves someone should be helping them or listening to them moan and be responsible for making their lives extraordinary and fantastic and unique and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Mental Health has as well just become an 'in' thing that's lots of the young, girls specially I think like to think they have. Being unhappy, mediocre or unable to live a fantastic Facebook life isn't an ilness. But it gives them something to be a comfort that they are fantastic but just are being held back by their mental ilness issues. It's a load of balls really and they just neee a good shake and be told to get on with their lives and stop kidding themselves someone should be helping them or listening to them moan and be responsible for making their lives extraordinary and fantastic and unique and stuff.

This is bullsh1t, and it’s exactly the kind of narrative that held me back from going to the doctor and getting the help I needed for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you look at how a dyslexic thinks, you'd understand a lot more to why they can asses dead peoples work and say that person is/was dyslexic. We naturally problem solve inherently we are outside of the box thinkers. It's why dyslexics are so amazing. :cool:
    This is yet another example of this kind of thinking around different conditions and it's about as scientifically valid as a horoscope, though it shares one similarity; that is that the label/star sign claims traits that are said to be a given for said label. Which is a bloody nonsense. I've known dyslexics that are bright, dyslexics that are thick as bottled pig poo and dyslexics that are average. Same as any other bunch of people. I was told I have dyscalculia by someone considered well versed in the field. A "dyslexia" of numbers as it were(literally in that for me mathematical concepts I understand, but the figures themselves nope, or much less so). However I don't have any of the other symptoms of same. One is an inability to read analogue clocks. I actually got into analogue "old watches" as a kid when the digitals were king precisely because I found digital time harder to read requiring much more concentration. It's just a basic quirk of my wiring, maybe I was dropped on my head as a child because both my parents were quite gifted mathematically. I have no insights or superpowers, beyond the ability to have kept it hidden during my schooldays(easier than having difficulties with reading as many people will happily admit to be crap at maths). In short I'm pure dense at maths, but get by and modern tech helps enormously. No further comment or therapy required really.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    my father was the same, unfortunately he died without being diagnosed, i personally believe he was unable to communicate his fears of being ill, he died of cancer, by the time he was diagnosed, it was too late. communication issues being one of the main issues with autism.
    Or more simply your dad was a Typical Man™ who avoided thinking about such health things and putting them on the long finger. An attitude that's easing but not nearly as much as women's basic attitudes to similar. Hell I've been there myself. Indeed in longevity studies married men were more likely to live longer because it was their partners who kicked them up the arse to get attention earlier.
    i have my own ideas on why mental health issues are growing globally, i suspect its largely to do with the fundamental ideas and ideologies of how we have designed our economies and societies, in particular the neoliberial/neoclassical ideology, but that really is a whole other tread. i class this ideology as anti-human and anti-environmental in nature, its dangerous for all humans, including the wealthy.
    I'd agree with that alright. Expectations both personal and societal are off the scale compared to the past. One example would be personal skills. In a tribal society chances are you'd be the best or nearly the best at something and be valued for it, but in today's society you are constantly reminded of more people being better and apparently doing much better than you. Problem is we still have in many ways a Stone Age brain.
    the modern society is very poorly setup for people on the spectrum
    Pretty much everyone.
    we generally tend to be want to be left alone, but the modern world constantly wants/needs/demands your attention, phones being an example, im largely uncontactable, common with autism.
    The same goes for most people out there, even those who appear to thrive on this contactablity. It's stressful. Your introverts may notice it more keenly, but it's there for most.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Or more simply your dad was a Typical Man™ who avoided thinking about such health things and putting them on the long finger. An attitude that's easing but not nearly as much as women's basic attitudes to similar. Hell I've been there myself. Indeed in longevity studies married men were more likely to live longer because it was their partners who kicked them up the arse to get attention earlier.

no, he more than likely was autistic, as its genetically passed on and we truly do struggle to communicate effectively when distressed, we shut down, i suffer from selective mutism in certain situations, and i suspect he did to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Little Johnny is a proper little siht

1985 Version- Little Johnny is a disobedient little prick who needs a few good clouts around the back of the head to set him straight. Parents let him get away with murder.

2020 Version- Oh poor little Johnny. He must have I]Insert condtion of choice[/I. Sure it's not his fault.

Ultimately everyone is different and not eveyone fits into nice neat boxes.

Little Johnny is a proper little siht

1985 Version- Little Johnny is a disobedient little prick who needs a few good clouts around the back of the head to set him straight. Parents let him get away with murder.

2020 Version- Oh poor little Johnny. He must have I]Insert condtion of choice[/I. Sure it's not his fault.

little johnny needs help and support to elevate his abilities to meet his peers milestones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wouldnt expect autism to be a good trait in an actor (playing conventional roles)? his first major acting role was 21 Jump Street, there was nothing quirky about him back then

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I wouldnt expect autism to be a good trait in an actor (playing conventional roles)? his first major acting role was 21 Jump Street, there was nothing quirky about him back then

autism is common enough in the arts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You sound like you have no idea what your talking about.

I'm Dyslexic, in person I'm probably as intelligent as any one else my motor skills, problem solving skills are ridiculously fast my reaction speeds are disgusting.

Yet I struggle with punctuation, grammar and miss small mistakes. If I'm told, I've made a mistake but I can't see it. It just will not register.

Explain to me how you think seeing somebody can some how highlight dyslexia more?

It may not be apparent to you from my post but I wasn't just referring to diagnoses of dyslexia in it but rather all posthumous diagnoses.

You do seem to contradict yourself there though; you say "If you look at how a dyslexic thinks" and also ask "Explain to me how you think seeing somebody can some how highlight dyslexia more?". If you want to understand how someone thinks, surely meeting them might and interviewing them about that might be illuminating, no?

You can get some idea about how Yeats thinks from his biographies and accounts at the time and you can examine his writings for spelling mistakes but I'm skeptical you can come to any solid conclusions based on that.

And just for clarity, I'm well aware dyslexia doesn't mean people can't achieve great things, that's not what the issue is for me here.
    and absolutely everyone was apparently in the closet as well. OK Leo DaVinci was, though not so much in the closet for his time. Though his private writings reveal he thought nookie of any sort was tremendously icky and that if there weren't beautiful faces the human race would die out. :D

A friend of mine studied English at Oxford and when I said to her that despite my interest in literature I was glad I hadn't because I thought a lot of academia was bullsh*t she basically said there was no famous author without a body of literature claiming they were gay. There's obviously some where the evidence is clear but the rest is speculation.

Of course, a big part of the problem here is the "publish or perish" nature of academia but if they're all right then it seems remarkable when you compare it to the rate in the general population!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The most toxic couple since Farrow/Allen. Awful, awful people.

It is a pretty sad reflection on the rest of society that anyone who is perceived to be any bit 'different' is automatically labelled and neatly boxed off. The primary purpose seems to be to help the rest of society deal with 'difference' rather than to help the individual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

autism is common enough in the arts
    Not particularly. It's far more common in the sciences. It's been unhelpfully called "nerd" or "geek" syndrome because of it. Go into a room full of computer programmers and you'll find way more than background levels of folks on the spectrum, walk into a room full of painters not nearly so much.
    The most toxic couple since Farrow/Allen. Awful, awful people.
    I dunno, while I think the pairing was a disaster(up and coming(ish) starlet and middle aged midlife crisis very successful star) Depp comes across as someone still living out a rebel adolescence fantasy in lieu of personal growth with the money to be allowed do that and some aspects of fandom that expect him to do so. None of his previous partners, most of whom were long termers have said he was aggressive towards them, quite the opposite actually. They've been lining up to defend him on that score. Even his ex wife and mother of his kids of many years he dumped for the Younger Model™. And it's not exactly as if he's still flavour of the month in Hollyweird at the moment.

Heard on the other hand apparently has had previous as far as aggression with partners goes and has even been arrested for it and she has admitted she thumped him, even laughed at him over it.

There's definitely a pair of them in it and by god he listened to his little head hoping to recapture lost youth or whatever, but she appears to be the more dodgy overall. At least with him. Maybe she would be grand with another and they just rubbed each other up. I've seen that myself with some couples over the years. Otherwise fine people, but a bad mix.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Not particularly. It's far more common in the sciences. It's been unhelpfully called "nerd" or "geek" syndrome because of it. Go into a room full of computer programmers and you'll find way more than background levels of folks on the spectrum, walk into a room full of painters not nearly so much.

I dunno, while I think the pairing was a disaster(up and coming(ish) starlet and middle aged midlife crisis very successful star) Depp comes across as someone still living out a rebel adolescence fantasy in lieu of personal growth with the money to be allowed do that and some aspects of fandom that expect him to do so. None of his previous partners, most of whom were long termers have said he was aggressive towards them, quite the opposite actually. They've been lining up to defend him on that score. Even his ex wife and mother of his kids of many years he dumped for the Younger Model™. And it's not exactly as if he's still flavour of the month in Hollyweird at the moment.

Heard on the other hand apparently has had previous as far as aggression with partners goes and has even been arrested for it and she has admitted she thumped him, even laughed at him over it.

Actually, Heard’s ex defended her too. Why are accounts from his exes taken seriously but not hers?

We have newspaper reports to go on and then statements from the exes. I don’t recall any reports of Depp assaulting any exes but I do recall a story about him destroying a hotel room in a rage when he was with either Moss or Ryder. And for Heard, there was a report of an assault on her ex but the ex then denied it.

You can’t disregard what her ex says if you are going to take seriously what Depp’s exes have said.

Johnny Depp ain't winning this case and he is now at a very very serious risk of becoming an irrelevance.

Even if he technically wins he loses.

whats your experience with autism and folks with it? according to autism expert clinical psychologist tony attwood, in his 40 odd years of working in the sector, the most common careers are science, engineering and the arts.

Actually, Heard’s ex defended her too. Why are accounts from his exes taken seriously but not hers?

We have newspaper reports to go on and then statements from the exes. I don’t recall any reports of Depp assaulting any exes but I do recall a story about him destroying a hotel room in a rage when he was with either Moss or Ryder. And for Heard, there was a report of an assault on her ex but the ex then denied it.

You can’t disregard what her ex says if you are going to take seriously what Depp’s exes have said.
    Oh sure OD, but just on the numbers more exes are willing to step up for Depp and like I say his career is pretty much fecked because of all this and this trial will likely nail that coffin shut, so it's not like there's much in it for them.

If the numbers were reversed I'd certainly be more in Heard's camp. The ex denied it after she was arrested, but she was arrested for it. And yep he went "rock and roll" and destroyed a hotel room like a muppet, but - and like you I can't recall which one it was - he didn't go for her. At this stage given his decades long profile and high visibility relationships with other high profile stars if there were shenanigans the floodgates would open as they usually do, especially these days of the hashtag twitterati with people coming forward around past indiscretions, but nary a sniff on that score. If anything more are coming forward to support him on this(while saying he's an addict). Now he could well be a wife beater, but if he is it's been extremely well hidden over the last 30 years.

• Advertisement

whats your experience with autism and folks with it? according to autism expert clinical psychologist tony attwood, in his 40 odd years of working in the sector, the most common careers are science, engineering and the arts.
    I have no doubt there are folks on the spectrum in the arts, Anthony Hopkins one good example, but "common enough" I'd have doubts about.

Too often and like other conditions there is a lot of backward remote "diagnosis" of the spectrum with artists of the past looking for diagnostic criteria of the condition and only that condition as a reason for creativity or personality types, but that's extremely unscientific and complete conjecture with a large side order of confirmation bias, objectivity bedamned. Like I said over the years depending on the condition of humanity de jour I've seen Leonardo DaVinci being the poster boy for autism, closeted homosexuality, ADHD, dyslexia, bipolar disorder, atheism and so forth. Hell when the Shroud of Turin was the mystery de jour he was wheeled out as the artist forger who did it(pity it was around before he was even born). Outside of him almost certainly being Gay(or asexual) the rest is complete conjecture, or a provable nonsense.

Now it's understandable human nature for us all to feel somehow connected however shakily to some great person or other, doubly so if we have a condition that marks us out, but it's at best a delusive fancy.

I have no doubt there are folks on the spectrum in the arts, Anthony Hopkins one good example, but "common enough" I'd have doubts about.

Too often and like other conditions there is a lot of backward remote "diagnosis" of the spectrum with artists of the past looking for diagnostic criteria of the condition and only that condition as a reason for creativity or personality types, but that's extremely unscientific and complete conjecture with a large side order of confirmation bias, objectivity bedamned. Like I said over the years depending on the condition of humanity de jour I've seen Leonardo DaVinci being the poster boy for autism, closeted homosexuality, ADHD, dyslexia, bipolar disorder, atheism and so forth. Hell when the Shroud of Turin was the mystery de jour he was wheeled out as the artist forger who did it(pity it was around before he was even born). Outside of him almost certainly being Gay(or asexual) the rest is complete conjecture, or a provable nonsense.

Now it's understandable human nature for us all to feel somehow connected however shakily to some great person or other, doubly so if we have a condition that marks us out, but it's at best a delusive fancy.

please bare in mind, you ll generally find, most of us on the spectrum have always known we were different from childhood, i have, we rarely feel like we fit in anywhere, we struggle with understanding body language, where the majority of human communication occurs, this all leads to us 'masking' those around us in an attempt to fit in, i.e. generally copying others, because we struggle to understand whats going on around us, what is expected of us, and how to behave, i.e. we re natural born actors, according to professionals such as attwood, autistic people can in fact be some of the finest actors because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I've listened to most of the voice recordings and in every single one Heard sounds like a f*cking psycho. How could either of them stay in a marriage like that? It was toxic. Both of them drinking and taking drugs when both could have done without either of them. She continuously lied and proved them to be incorrect herself. The deposition for example, she contradicted her statements and herself in the voice recordings. When she spoke at the metoo march and wrote that article in vanity fare, was the nail in the coffin for me. She toxic and vile. I see a lot of my ex in her, the manipulation, the lies, the guilt-tripping, and physical abuse.

I've listened to most of the voice recordings and in every single one Heard sounds like a f*cking psycho. How could either of them stay in a marriage like that? It was toxic. Both of them drinking and taking drugs when both could have done without either of them. She continuously lied and proved them to be incorrect herself. The deposition for example, she contradicted her statements and herself in the voice recordings. When she spoke at the metoo march and wrote that article in vanity fare, was the nail in the coffin for me. She toxic and vile. I see a lot of my ex in her, the manipulation, the lies, the guilt-tripping, and physical abuse.

yea id say theres a possibility of bpd on her side, and autism on his side, throw in alcohol and drugs into the mix, and you ve a big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

silverharp wrote: »

My oldest son is autistic and also acts. You could say autistic people act and mimic all their lives. My son has no stage fright, no problems with public speaking etc. because he has his lines.
    He is terrible at math, well above average at English, arts and languages + very artistic, likes to draw etc.

My other son, also autistic, wouldn't be caught dead on stage, has zero impulse control, and yet, he's IQ is through the roof in pretty much all tests. Absolutely zero imagination.

The only thing they have in common is a black and white opinion of everything, there are no grays for either of them. Something is either bad or good.

My oldest son is autistic and also acts. You could say autistic people act and mimic all their lives. My son has no stage fright, no problems with public speaking etc. because he has his lines.
    He is terrible at math, well above average at English, arts and languages + very artistic, likes to draw etc.

My other son, also autistic, wouldn't be caught dead on stage, has zero impulse control, and yet, he's IQ is through the roof in pretty much all tests. Absolutely zero imagination.

The only thing they have in common is a black and white opinion of everything, there are no grays for either of them. Something is either bad or good.

dichotomous thinking is common with disorders such as bpd and autism

I do find it most peculiar the sheer number of photos taken of Depp while he is "asleep". What type of wife does that? Seems rather calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

yea id say theres a possibility of bpd on her side, and autism on his side, throw in alcohol and drugs into the mix, and you ve a big problem

Heard is still responsible for her actions regardless of any diagnosis. An example must be made of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

You can't mix crazy with crazy and expect anything positive to come from it.They both have ruined any career prospects by airing their dirty laundry to the public,just to make a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

dichotomous thinking is common with disorders such as bpd and autism

We are very well aware of this, which is not the point I was trying to make. It's a spectrum, and people on it can be affected in different ways.

It's the people that go through life, knowing they they are different, but not knowing why they're different that get my sympathy.

Advertisement