Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Ulster, Fri 7th May 8:15pm, Eir Sport

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Looking to next season, Munster should be able to field a very big physical team. Some seriously big men in the squad. Can really see them ramping up the physicality.

What’s your take on the KBA approach that was very evident last night?
    It’s fantastic when the ball goes to hand, but I wonder whether we can actually play like that in important matches against the top European sides.
    If the answer to that is yes, and we also have the physicality to hold up the set piece and not soak tackle too much up front, then I’d back Munster against any side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Shaka Hislop

Seems that after 2 years of coaching Munster, Larkham has adapted his coaching style after watching 2 ROG interviews :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think the provinces are going to struggle in Europe for the next few years. With respect to Munster and Ulster, their packs are inferior to Leinsters by a wide margin. Their tactics work against most Pro 12 sides and some European side, but not against the better European ones. Leinster are similarly starting to struggle against the best French and English (Saracens) packs. We all share the same issue in that we're too rote in our play and can't improvise when our forwards aren't dominant.

Seems that after 2 years of coaching Munster, Larkham has adapted his coaching style after watching 2 ROG interviews :D

Yeah, it does seem that way alright.
    I just think we have the skills to play like that, so why not just go for it.
    Look at what Japan were able to achieve.
    Just needs the coaches to back it, and to change from box kicking by default whenever a big pack drives us backwards.

Just to name check a few skilful guys that are excellent at KBA,
    O’Byrne, Beirne, O’Mahony, Coombes, O’Donoghue, and there are high hopes for the likes of O’Sullivan and Hodnett and more besides.
    The backs have great hands when they decide to play expansively, Murray, Scannell, Goggin, Daly, Haley, Earls, and add in De Allende and Zebo, you’ve got the makings of a champagne rugby back line.
    Again, IF the culture moves to adopt that approach, the coaches have to back it, and it’s very frustrating when they haven’t already just gone for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Pfftt. Munster have been doing KBA since before it was cool and trendy. :P ;)

https://youtu.be/Pzz66JtMoxM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Again, IF the culture moves to adopt that approach, the coaches have to back it, and it’s very frustrating when they haven’t already just gone for it.

To be fair, I think we have seen it in spells this season. Look at the try that won try of the year vs Cardiff; there were more offloads in those few phases than we had in full whole games a couple of years ago. (EDIT: theVersatile got there before me).

We’ve seen John Ryan throw an offload and Archer throw a pop pass off the deck, for example.

It stuck particularly well last night, but I don’t think that means it’s something completely new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Clegg wrote: »
    I think the provinces are going to struggle in Europe for the next few years. With respect to Munster and Ulster, their packs are inferior to Leinsters by a wide margin. Their tactics work against most Pro 12 sides and some European side, but not against the better European ones. Leinster are similarly starting to struggle against the best French and English (Saracens) packs. We all share the same issue in that we're too rote in our play and can't improvise when our forwards aren't dominant.

I think the Munster pack has been in transition. Throw in Knox/Salanoa, Killer, Kleyn, Snyman, Beirne at 6, Coombes at 8 with Fineen/Thomas Ahern/Jenkins on the bench and I doubt Leinster will have the upper hand in physicality at all.

Then you'll have the backs, Haley, Daly, Zeebo, DDA, Farrell / Goggin, Murray (all 6'2+). Give the backs go-forward ball and it will be a long, long day for the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I think the Munster pack has been in transition. Throw in Knox/Salanoa, Killer, Kleyn, Snyman, Beirne at 6, Coombes at 8 with Fineen/Thomas Ahern/Jenkins on the bench and I doubt Leinster will have the upper hand in physicality at all.

Then you'll have the backs, Haley, Daly, Zeebo, DDA, Farrell / Goggin, Murray (all 6'2+). Give the backs go-forward ball and it will be a long, long day for the opposition.

If Knox or Salanoa come good we're only missing a top class hooker in the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

When you say 'struggle' though, the reality is you're really only referring to a few sides that are probably better than Munster. Munster should be making the QF stage, after that comes down to the draw and the performance on the day.

As for the pack, if Snyman can return fit and available and Jenkins is a success, then Munster should be able to compete. We are reliant on Knox or Salanoa making a breakthrough at TH however and I agree with Tom that we are lacking at hooker. I think a NIE signing there will be a priority next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm definitely referring to the better Champions Cup sides in my post. I just don't see where the provinces can make up for the shortfall in power. If it prompts a switch to a more all round style of play then I'm all for it. There's a lack of invention in Irish rugby right now.

I'm more pessimistic on Munster's outlook as I am with Leinster's. Going forward we can't rely on the South African contingent staying long term at Munster and the front row becomes a problem once Kilcoyne starts to decline through age. Leinster similarly lack that bit of power in the second row and other than a top quality signing, which isn't guaranteed to happen, I can't see where that extra grunt comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm definitely referring to the better Champions Cup sides in my post. I just don't see where the provinces can make up for the shortfall in power. If it prompts a switch to a more all round style of play then I'm all for it. There's a lack of invention in Irish rugby right now.

I'm more pessimistic on Munster's outlook as I am with Leinster's. Going forward we can't rely on the South African contingent staying long term at Munster and the front row becomes a problem once Kilcoyne starts to decline through age. Leinster similarly lack that bit of power in the second row and other than a top quality signing, which isn't guaranteed to happen, I can't see where that extra grunt comes from.

I think there will always be a need for Munster to sign powerful forwards from elsewhere. I imagine Munster will try to retain one of Snyman or Jenkins and then look to make a signing in the front row depending on how Wycherley, French, Barron, Knox and Salanoa are performing in their respective positions.

Snyman's loss to Munster this year can't be overstated. Skelton's performance against Leinster was the kind of dominance you'd hope Snyman would have delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,788 ✭✭✭✭phog

Have to say I'm very happy with our performance on Friday evening, weather turned bad during the game but we played good rugby, albeit against a very underwhelming Ulster team. Like others have said the ref was good and has shown he's a capable ref in his previous games, like most officials he missed a few things but in general I think he did a good job. How good is Coombes, he's a beast, a joy to watch.

My motm would have been a forward the pack won that game for us but hard to crib about Haley getting it either.

Rinse and repeat again next week against Connacht and it will be a great start to the competition for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Haley has had a very impressive season, he's far more consistent now and I just love him with ball in hand - great stepper and capable of a bit of magic out of nothing. Zebo has a big fight on his hands for the 15 jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 23,788 ✭✭✭✭phog

leakyboots wrote: »
    Zebo has a big fight on his hands for the 15 jersey

This is exactly what we want for every position, be great if we had players of the caliber of Haley and Zebo fighting it out for places across the starting 15.

There's also a very good chance that Zebo has been brought back as a winger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

There's also a very good chance that Zebo has been brought back as a winger

Missing h there?

Missing h there?

Jerry hAttrick ?

Advertisement