01-10-2014, 21:29   #1
dreamers75

Windows 10

Anyone planning on making the jump from 7 to 10?

I will stick with 7 as long as possible unless 10 improves on 7 somehow. I starting to think Msft only make a decent OS every 2nd time or so.

Im sure they will offer DX17 or something as a W10 only option.

Out today on Insider if anyone on it, havent been arsed downloading it.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/join-win...lds-windows-10
Advertisement
01-10-2014, 21:41   #2
degrassinoel
Assume the position

if it's as bad as 8 was i'll pass - the same way i passed on winMe, 2k XP and vista in favour of 98 for donkeys years
(3) thanks from:
01-10-2014, 23:46   #3
ShadowHearth

Too early to say. If its good, I will jump on it from 7. Most likely I will get a brand new ssd with though as my OS ssd is only 60gb.
Thanks from:
02-10-2014, 02:25   #4
Overheal
Covfefe Connoisseur

Send a message via ICQ to Overheal Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
Windows 8 already loads faster than 7 and doesn't appear to run games any less poorly. You can be guaranteed Dx12 won't be supported by Windows 7, Microsoft has purposefully made no statement about it one way or another and this close to a new OS launch - yeah, its not happening.
02-10-2014, 05:56   #5
Robert ninja

Microsoft been dun' goofing a lot lately. W10 will have what? Ctrl+V in command prompt? Uh... thanks? And finally auto detects whether or not to load the dumb ass touch screen interface or desktop mode based on hardware? Well that is extremely basic and should've been in W8.

The fact that W7/8 aren't getting DX12 but W10 and the bloody Xbox One are really shows MC don't give a feck about us.

I feel no real rush to get W10, hell I've been considering dual booting to Linux and only using windows for gaming.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-10-2014, 12:42   #6
Dcully

Windows 8.1 is great, i dont use the tile bull**** so its a turbo version of windows 7 to me as it operates exactly the same once you bypass the metro tile crap apart from games performing better,no going back to 7 after 8.
02-10-2014, 12:44   #7
Shiminay

I'm running Win 8.1 since I got an SSD earlier this year and have no problems with it once I installed Classic Shell to get that utterly pointless Metro interface. I also needed to remove the fullscreen Skype app, it was just awful having things take over full screens and not letting me have actual WINDOWS of info (and this is a man with 3 screens, I wasn't stuck for places to put it).

I'm not fussed about Win 10, but it was nice to see them acknowledge just how annoying and poorly thought out their design and UI decisions were with Win 8 for those of us who didn't run out to buy a Surface (which is by all accounts a brilliant bit of kit to give them their dues).
(3) thanks from:
02-10-2014, 13:51   #8

I'm on 7. I would like to be able to change my sound output using a hot key, as I change it frequently depending on the content I'm using. It's a pain to have to click the Sound manager and select Playback devices, select the output and click the Set default button. I would also like a shortcut to swap the Desktop from one display to the other. My screens aren't beside each other. It can be done now but you have to cycle through the options on the screen I can't currently see and select the other screen. Just let me keep hitting the shortcut until I get the desired result. I hope I can have a separate Desktop on each screen on 10. I would also like them to fix auto sleep/hibernation. Every now and then I wake to find my PC didn't sleep as it was configured to, such as after media has finished playing.
02-10-2014, 14:07   #9
weisses

If I can get a cheap enough upgrade I will probably get Windows 10 (7 atm)
Advertisement
02-10-2014, 14:45   #10
dreamers75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked.noodle View Post
I'm on 7. I would like to be able to change my sound output using a hot key, as I change it frequently depending on the content I'm using. It's a pain to have to click the Sound manager and select Playback devices, select the output and click the Set default button. I would also like a shortcut to swap the Desktop from one display to the other. My screens aren't beside each other. It can be done now but you have to cycle through the options on the screen I can't currently see and select the other screen. Just let me keep hitting the shortcut until I get the desired result. I hope I can have a separate Desktop on each screen on 10. I would also like them to fix auto sleep/hibernation. Every now and then I wake to find my PC didn't sleep as it was configured to, such as after media has finished playing.
You can do that with the sound, I have it set as my PC is beside the Main TV so handy swap when watching movies.

When I get home later I will post how to do it.

You can also switch monitors its windows key Left and Right (handy for moving programs between monitors. But the below makes that useless as it remembers what screen you want programs to be on.

For the dual monitor I would suggest this

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-...-in-windows-7/

Quite handy.
(3) thanks from:
02-10-2014, 14:49   #11
Nody
Servant of Cthulhu
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisses View Post
If I can get a cheap enough upgrade I will probably get Windows 10 (7 atm)
Same here but I might wait until next major PC upgrade (a year or two down the line) to get the worst bugs out of the way.
02-10-2014, 14:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamers75 View Post
You can do that with the sound, I have it set as my PC is beside the Main TV so handy swap when watching movies.

When I get home later I will post how to do it.

You can also switch monitors its windows key Left and Right (handy for moving programs between monitors. But the below makes that useless as it remembers what screen you want programs to be on.

For the dual monitor I would suggest this

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-...-in-windows-7/

Quite handy.
If you could let me know that would be cool. I heard they purposely gimped the sound control for some reason or another.

If I hold the Win Key and use the arrows it moves the selected program to the other screen. I want the entire desktop to move. I'll look at the link you posted as it would seem to offer a solution. Thanks.
Thanks from:
02-10-2014, 15:14   #13
Shiminay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked.noodle View Post
A friend of mine linked me to this but I haven't had a chance to run it myself. http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/ It's for assigning specific apps to specific sound outputs, so I can send a game to my headphones whilst sending the audio from Media Player Classic to my surround speakers etc.
(3) thanks from:
02-10-2014, 15:22   #14
justjustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by degrassinoel View Post
if it's as bad as 8 was i'll pass - the same way i passed on winMe, 2k XP and vista in favour of 98 for donkeys years
What's wrong with Windows 8/8.1? Great OS IMO.
02-10-2014, 15:58   #15
davo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjustin View Post
What's wrong with Windows 8/8.1? Great OS IMO.
Someone heard from someone they know that their cousin said it was crap, so you know, it must be!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion