Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The subscription sounds good for business, but I guess that would make the life span of the OS's shorter overall. I imagine it would be update after update instead of Win X and then Y and then Z... I suppose radical change would be slower as Corporates might have to update regularly for security reasons but wouldn't like surprises. It would just be Windows Forever, forever....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah but thats also good for regular consumers, particularly ones who get ingrained with one OS and run it into the ground. And then the new one comes along theyre forced into and they scream bloody murder because its so different. But its not. Vista looked different to XP, 7 was the 8.1 of Vista, etc. and if they just followed along with updates they wouldnt be this lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

They should make this a very cheap, if not free, upgrade from Windows 7. Its a great opportunity to ensure that Windows 7 doesnt become the new Windows XP for Microsoft.

The problem I could see with a rental model for Windows, such as with Office 365, is what would happen when you stop paying the subscription? Would the OS stop booting?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Anyone claiming WIN8 is no good basically proves himself to be a parrot and clueless. By making these nonsense claims you are also basically saying you are not using WIN8 so really have no idea what you are talking about.

WIN8 is fine and has been from the start. It got even better over the past two years. I really have not had any problems with it and installed the WIN10 TP as it became available without any issues.

• Advertisement

• Have been using Windows 8 since 2012 and it really is a good OS if people would just spend some time with it.

I had a conversation with someone before who I showed Windows 8 for the first time and here is how it went:

Me: This is Windows 8, its got a number of improvements and is much faster.
    Mr X: Ok, where is the start button
    Me: They removed that but you don't really need it once you spend a little time with it.
    Mr X: But why did they remove the start button?
    Me: They just did, you can download a free program to bring back the start button if you want.
    Mr X: I don't like that they have removed the start button.
    Mr X: What are these things? (referring to the metro tiles)
    Me: Those are various apps you can use.
    Mr X: I don't like those
    Me: You don't have to use them, they are there if you want to use them.
    Mr X: Nah, I don't like all these changes. Its crap
    Me: (sigh, I give up)

Its conversations like this that prove people just won't give it a chance because it looks different to the previous versions of Windows. People are fixated on the fact that there is no start button and can not see past that.

^^ THIS ^^

It's also real depressing that while WIN10 is really bringing some seriously innovative and new ideas and features to the table way too many people seem to only talk about how the start menu is back..

I'm just real thankful I can keep it disabled in favour of the start menu.

Its conversations like this that prove people just won't give it a chance because it looks different to the previous versions of Windows. People are fixated on the fact that there is no start button and can not see past that.

Yet the same people would be the type to say "screw this, I'm getting a Mac", then have to deal with another learning curve. I'm blue in the face telling people to unpin the Metro stuff if they don't want it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I'm getting this error when trying to upgrade from Win 8.1 - any idea how to get around it or do i have to do a clean wipe?

0vH1hMB.jpg

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I'm getting this error when trying to upgrade from Win 8.1 - any idea how to get around it or do i have to do a clean wipe?
    Are you booting from the DVD?

Normally you'd get this message if you boot from the DVD and attempt an upgrade; you have to run setup.exe from the DVD within your current version of Windows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Karsini wrote: »
    Are you booting from the DVD?

Normally you'd get this message if you boot from the DVD and attempt an upgrade; you have to run setup.exe from the DVD within your current version of Windows.

Ahhhhhhh.. I was booting from USB, but ok I did not know this. Can you do the same with USB? I'm now trying to do a clean install from the USB, formatted the hard drive. But now I'm getting a message after the first restart of the install, saying no boot device available. Help!

Zascar wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhh.. I was booting from USB, but ok I did not know this. Can you do the same with USB? I'm now trying to do a clean install from the USB, formatted the hard drive. But now I'm getting a message after the first restart of the install, saying no boot device available. Help!

Check your partitions on the disk, make sure they're marked as active if MBR. Do you know if the system is doing a UEFI or BIOS ("legacy") boot?

I mean, just pointing out Z, that's exactly what the error tells you to do: boot from within windows :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

For those that didn’t bother to read the terms of service and privacy policy of W10 TP. :cool:
    This week Microsoft announced the next version of its Operating system, dubbed WIndows 10, providing Windows 10 Technical Preview release under its "Insider Program" in order to collect feedback from users and help shape the final version of the operating system, but something really went WRONG!
    “Inside Microsoft’s Insider Program you'll get all the latest Windows preview builds as soon as they're available. In return, we want to know what you think. You’ll get an easy-to-use app to give us your feedback, which will help guide us along the way.” Microsoft website reads.
    Well, how many of you actually read the “Terms of Service” and “Privacy Policy” documents before downloading the Preview release of Windows 10? I guess none of you, because most computer users have habit of ignoring that lengthy paragraphs and simply click "I Agree" and then "next", which is not at all a good practise.
    Do you really know what permissions you have granted to Microsoft by installing Free Windows 10 Technical Preview edition? Of Course, YOU DON’T. Well, guess what, you've all but signed away your soul !!

PERMISSION TO KEYLOG

If you are unaware of Microsoft’s privacy policy, so now you should pay attention to what the policy says. Microsoft is watching your every move on the latest Windows 10 Technical Preview, Thanks to portions of Microsoft's privacy policy, which indicates that the technology giant is using keylogger to collect and use users’ data in a variety of astounding ways without the user being aware.
    “If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features,” the privacy policy states.
    Essentially by accepting the Windows 10 privacy policy you are allowing Microsoft to screen your files and log your keystrokes. This means, if you open a file and type, Microsoft have access to what you type, and the file info within.
    This could likely one of the reasons why the company insisted that Windows Technical Preview not be installed on computers that are used every day.

OTHER DATA COLLECTION

But Wait! Wait! Not just this, Microsoft says it may collect even more data. The company will be watching your apps for compatibility, and collect voice information when you use speech to text. This information will be used to improve speech processing, according to Microsoft.
    "When you acquire, install and use the Program, Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks," the privacy policy states. "Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."
    Though, technology companies continue to develop a fine line on the issue of privacy and data collection and based on the information which the Microsoft collects, it could have thousands of username and password combinations stored in a database somewhere. But we may well see a public feedback to this newest attempt to mine users data.
    However, it is clearly known that they are not going to use those data to access users’ bank accounts or company's private network, but the fact that the company is collecting data by all means, could possibly open a way for someone to steal and misuse the information for their own purpose.
    Although the feedback being collected in the Windows Technical Preview will only occur within the Technical Preview period, reported by WinBeta. Once Windows 10 launches to the public as RTM, the data Microsoft collects will be removed from the operating system.
    http://thehackernews.com/2014/10/download-Windows-10-keylogger.html

This is not news and not a secret. If you feel this is unacceptable I strongly urge you stop using anything related to the internet, Google, Apple and several other companies.

From the outset MSFT has made it very clear that this preview is intended for them to gather information on how it performs and under what conditions it performs a certain way. That's the whole idea of this preview. If you do not agree with that then do not use it.

Oh and they also VERY clearly stated this preview is NOT made available with the end user in mind. Obviously they know it will be used en mass by that exact group but they told you this is not really for you (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ha I love the tone directed at me, like I was one silly end user. If you read my comment, this was directed at those that didn't bother to read the TOCs, No fear of me bucko, I am a root administrator on one of the worlds most powerful top 20 supercomputer clusters. You needn't urge me to do anything. You sound like a fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Ha I love the tone directed at me, like I was one silly end user. If you read my comment, this was directed at those that didn't bother to read the TOCs, No fear of me bucko, I am a root administrator on one of the worlds most powerful top 20 supercomputer clusters. You needn't urge me to do anything. You sound like a fanboy.

Do you have a t-shirt saying that, and maybe a shiny crown?

Overheal wrote: »
    I mean, just pointing out Z, that's exactly what the error tells you to do: boot from within windows :P
    I know, doh. Did not read it properly. Anyway after a lot of fiddling I got it. I had to change my boot to legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dcully wrote: »
    Windows 8.1 is great, i dont use the tile bull**** so its a turbo version of windows 7 to me as it operates exactly the same once you bypass the metro tile crap apart from games performing better,no going back to 7 after 8.

ditto, running 8 and then 8.1 since they were released and aside from one or two niggles initially which i've since ironed out, it's easily as fast as win7 in day to day use (some games even perform better) and boots much faster.

add the classic start menu and you've basically got a faster version of windows 7 with a bit more polish. :)

Ha I love the tone directed at me, like I was one silly end user.

No fear of me bucko, I am a root administrator on one of the worlds most powerful top 20 supercomputer clusters.

You needn't urge me to do anything. You sound like a fanboy.

1. You act like you are

2. Who gives a cr*p, if it makes you feel any better enjoy it..

3. Probably been in the business and around computers since before you were just a string of genes in your daddies ball sack so I'd watch your foot before it lands in your mouth again..

These T&C reflect the use if the feedback mechanism in the preview for which they make perfect and complete sense. The usual suspects seem to be trying to make much more out of them then what they are and you as this "super-duper-experienced-wannabe-important-deskjockey-sitting-behind-a terminal-connected-to-a-big-computer-to-compensate-for-other-shortcomings" guy just flatout fall for the sensation seeking article posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

You sound very important, we're lucky to have you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hang on whilst i rustle you up a medal.

I'm liking windows 10 so far. Seems super fast. I like the multitasking but not sure I like the Start menu, I was using Pokki or Start8 on Win 8 - find it much better. Maybe I just need to get used to it but after installing some programs I could not find them again. Had to go hunting in the c drive. I'm sure someone will come out with a better one anyway. I like the idea of the search, but not how it goes to Bing. The apps take a bit too long to load I find, I'd prefer to sue the browser. It does not really seem all that different to me - I need to find out about whats new and explore a bit

That's good feedback and I mostly agree with it. Make sure you share it with MSFT!

I tried the start menu but went back to the start screen since yesterday as that works much better for me..

paulheu wrote: »
    I tried the start menu but went back to the start screen since yesterday as that works much better for me..

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought this. :)

paulheu wrote: »
    That's good feedback and I mostly agree with it. Make sure you share it with MSFT!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought this. :)

tumblr_lwg6i8oZFq1qzjix8.gif

I thought you of all people would have been somewhat okay with that. Going back to a Start menu after using the screen feels like a step backwards for me; so now I have to retrain myself to do things the old way again. Don't get me wrong because I probably will, but it's a bit of a pain that I tried to be progressive (for once, as I was a diehard XP supporter) and now have to work back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

I installed W10 on a VM and have been using it on and off for the last few days. So far I have been impressed with the new features. MS seem to have hit their goal of combining the good from both W7 and W8 and adding a few new features. I am running it on a laptop so haven’t tried any of the tablet / convertible specific features yet.

Considering we are 6-12 months from an actual release, I was surprised at how stable the build is. I have tested about 75% of the programmes and applications that I use and what I have found so far is that if it worked with W8 then it works with W10 (not surprising since the backend is mostly the same).

The Start Menu is a welcome return. To my surprise the new Metro style section of it works well and is a good alternative to desktop shortcuts to commonly used apps. The Live Tiles look good for weather, news, etc. but I don’t see much use for them in enterprise.

The new Snapping features, windowed Modern Apps and Virtual Desktops are all amazing. There are a few small tweaks to be made (e.g. moving applications between desktops) but I assume they will be sorted in the final release.

My biggest con with the OS is the unavoidable confusion that will occur between Traditional "Desktop" and Modern "Metro" apps. There are 2 versions of Skype, VLC, Office soon, etc. and since Modern Apps can now be windowed this will only lead to confusion especially since features in both versions are not always equal.

Another big negative for me is the mess that is the Windows Store.

One thing they seem to have done nothing to fix is the fact that they still insist on having two areas for Settings (the Control Panel and the Modern style “Settings” app). Like above, the problem with this is they are not feature equal, again only leading to confusion among the end user.

All in all I think the OS is a definite step in the right direction. Going forward, MS really need to hit two more features for me to upgrade my network.

The first is the upgrade price has to be cheap if not free. I have no problem paying traditional pricing to upgrade my personal machine but for businesses I don’t think W10 is enough of an improvement over W7 to justify the any expense. Considering there are still business running XP I think they will feel that W7 is good enough (which it is).

The second point is they need to do away with all the different versions of the same OS. If you have features developed then why cripple your user by offering a reduced OS (W7 Starter, W7 HP, W8 Core, etc.). There should be just one version of the OS (maybe a second for enterprise). Encryption, Remote Desktop, VPN, Group Policies, etc. should all be available to all users out of the box.

I thought you of all people would have been somewhat okay with that. Going back to a Start menu after using the screen feels like a step backwards for me; so now I have to retrain myself to do things the old way again. Don't get me wrong because I probably will, but it's a bit of a pain that I tried to be progressive (for once, as I was a diehard XP supporter) and now have to work back again.

Its not that Im not OK with it but it just feels bewildering given people were so adverse to the changes in start, saying "woah, I don't like this new start I miss the old start" now they are reverting to a more classic start and people are like "woah, I don't like this old start, I miss the new start"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Installing it now. I will report back soon.

Advertisement