Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where are all the jobs?? (NO CHAT - Read post #481 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Reynolds newsagents on Abbey st (opp luas) had a 'staff wanted' sign up this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

best thing to do is go into the shop (tescos,dunnes ect.) and ask for the manager and give them ac.v,i got a job in tescos that way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The Good Food Company on South William St are looking for a Barrista. I dropped a CV in last week but found work in the mean time. Ask for Eamon!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not Dublin City, but the Pharmacy at the main entrance to The Square in Tallaght is looking for a part-time worker. Experience in a Pharmacy is desired according to the notice on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 up_the_dubs

there are loads of IT type jobs on monster.ie and recruitireland.com, accounting, project mgmt, call centres, admin work etc. bunch of cafe and hotel jobs over at jobs.ie as well. butlers chocolate cafe is always looking for staff as well. not the best salary but at least it's something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Saw an advert up in the Starbucks in the CHQ building that Starbucks are recruiting for managers and assistant managers at a number of Dublin locations.

Not sure if they're still looking, but the off license in the Ashleaf in Crumlin were looking for staff.

Paddy Power are also looking for a mountain of people, from computer techs to sales assistants.

http://www.workwithpaddy.com/search.php?org=PADDYPOWER&cws=1&act=search&WebPage=JSRCH&WebVersion=0&keywords=Keywords&CUSTOM_810=1326&CUSTOM_812=&submit=

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Just wondering, does anybody know where would be hiring specifically for the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

aine92 wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anybody know where would be hiring specifically for the summer?

A lot of the bookmakers take on extra summer staff. The best one is the clerical civil service and revenue jobs for the 3 months but I think they have a freeze on any more recruitment for the future, worth looking up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

A lot of the bookmakers take on extra summer staff. The best one is the clerical civil service and revenue jobs for the 3 months but I think they have a freeze on any more recruitment for the future, worth looking up though.

Yeah I think I'll send a slightly pleading email to the revenue commissioners and the civil service offices! How come bookies take on more staff?

• Advertisement

How come bookies take on more staff?

Good racing season. Sure for Cheltenham Festival next month Paddy Power are taking on sh*t loads of extra staff for shops and phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Yeah I think I'll send a slightly pleading email to the revenue commissioners and the civil service offices! How come bookies take on more staff?

The late night racing starts at the beginning of the Summer. Should be starting around April time. This means that the bookies would be opening till 9.30pm at night. Hell is a long day10am till 9.30 pm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

There are TCO jobs on the go in the Civil Service for the Summer:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/star/goToJobDetails.do?id=1057

Shop opposite Specsavers in the GPO arcade looking for staff, evolution I think it was called, bright purple shop.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

spar on d'olier street are looking for deli staff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I saw a sign in Eddie Rockets on Parnell Street looking for staff today

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

carl scarpetta (sp?) on Grafton Street looking for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Lush on Henry St. Looking for a trainee manager - sign in window yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I'd say clothes shops. Places like Penneys and Dunnes definitely. i'm sure other shops like forever21 and river island will too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

neil_18_ wrote: »
    I'd say clothes shops. Places like Penneys and Dunnes definitely. i'm sure other shops like forever21 and river island will too

Doubt it to be honest. Most of those shops took staff in the winter for seasonal work and had to lay them off after. The good staff layed off after the winter period will be the first priority for the shops to hire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I wouldn't count on it. With the exception of Christmas there isn't much of a need for large numbers of extra staff to be taken on. Of course there's always needed but not any more than any other time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

RMD wrote: »
    Doubt it to be honest. Most of those shops took staff in the winter for seasonal work and had to lay them off after. The good staff layed off after the winter period will be the first priority for the shops to hire.

Not true. All of the people taken on in my penneys over the last year were completely new. At least 80 new people last summer and probably more than 100 new people at christmas. Pretty much all had no previous connection to penneys. I actually know a good few people who were laid off and re-applied and were rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Not true. All of the people taken on in my penneys over the last year were completely new. At least 80 new people last summer and probably more than 100 new people at christmas. Pretty much all had no previous connection to penneys. I actually know a good few people who were laid off and re-applied and were rejected.

Bit of hope out there then. My comment is based on what I was told by a friend who manages 1 of the larger Topman stores, said it's the same throughout the well known shops unfortunately, they're always one of the first stops for people who want to work in clothes retail, so even if they're not hiring laid off staff, you're competing with a lot of people.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Lemon Jelly In Latin Quarter (I think, if not one of the other coffee shops on that side!) looking for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The 'Beaumont House', corner Beaumont Road/Shantalla Road, Dublin 9, are looking for 'experienced staff', they have a sign in the window, asking people to apply inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Pet shop on camden street are looking for full time staff and the newsagent near Tesco on camden street, Spar i think. They had a sign up for Deli staff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Many bar jobs going in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

fas wpp scheme is basically legalized slavery

jobs.ie / irishjobs.ie / monsterjobs.ie rarely have real jobs on it

most companies have abandoned recruitment agencies in favour of direct recruiting again cos its cheaper and less hassle than using agencies.

Agencies have a tendancy to send just about anyone for a job even when they have no relevant qualifications and experience.

Employers have gotten fed up with this and so rarely use agencies anymore.

for me its like this.... if you see lots of posts and they all lead to an agency -- its likely its not a real job but rather a CV phishing attempt by the agencies.

if it is a email / post directly to a company ...send in your cv its a real job vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

I don't think you'll be out of a job for long. With the right attitude you'll always get something, even if it's not your dream job n it's just to pay the bills. Better than sitting at home all day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RecklessJ

There are plenty of jobs.

The amount of turnover here is large due to people travelling/working here. People are leaving all the time freeing up jobs but at the same time people are also coming and trying to get the same jobs you are.

Job boards are GREAT but I wouldn't rely on sitting around and emailing out Cv's. Keep in mind that employers are receiving at least over a hundred (I bet). If you see an opening online GO to the store at a good time a manager would be in or call in and speak with the manager.

Things that make you stand out are initiative and drive. If you're capable of doing the job and you want it show them it should be yours.

Advertisement