Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most pain you've ever endured?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Calf cramping and tightening itself against my fibula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Compound ankle fracture. Both fib and tib broke, Was horribly painful when it happened, got more painful when I seen the angle and bone jutting out but the worst pain of it all was been carried into the office in school from the yard with my foot hanging in the air. It felt like someone was hanging an anvil off my ankle and yanking down on the already broken bones.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Having ankylosing spondylitis and all the wondrous f*cking predominantly spinal pain that entails. Especially when in a flare, like now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

A dry socket after a wisdom tooth had to be broken in to pieces to remove it. I was awake so could see the worry in the dentists eyes as he couldn't get it out in one piece. I was absolutely fine after it but the next day the dry socket kicked in and it felt like I was being kicked in the face. The only thing that numbed it a bit was holding a mouthful of whiskey around it :). I have had 3 C sections and I'd have another before I'd suffer that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

A 5 cm bladder stone in 2008.
    I used be on my knees crying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Kidney stone was a clear winner for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

Ive suffered from kidney stones since my early 20’s. Every ten years or so I have to go into get blasted. The urology dept in James have a new scope that can bend around corners.

Got both kidneys done last year at different times. It’s a morning surgery out by 2-3pm. But when I got right kidney done it was the worst I’d experienced as I’d normally only have stones in left.

Wifey brought me home after right kidney was done, she said I was on floor sobbing with pain. I think I passed out, can vaguely remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I've good pain tolerance. Once had a stomach endoscope done with no sedation because I'd rocked up with no one to drive me home and I was in no mood for going back a second time.
    One time after I gave birth, however - with no pain meds to a whopping 10 lb baba - the nurse told me I had also managed to give birth to an enormous pile, which would have to be immediately lanced. (Sorry lads, the romance of womanhood :rolleyes:.) Because it was so huge I could not be given an injection for pain relief - no room! - and so straight after they rolled the baba off with Himself to the nursery they laid me on my side and lanced this yoke with no anaesthesia. I had been quiet enough while giving birth but I fcuking roared the hospital down while they did that and the bed looked like they had gutted an animal after they were finished. Anyways, there ye go, enjoy yer tea. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

^^ close thread, clear winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Cellulitis two years ago at Christmas time 2017. I had to spend a few days in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Trigemminal Neuralgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭smallgarden

shingles was bad. Got a really bad dose when I was 12 which lasted a whole summer.
    But nothing compared to a bad gallbladder attack where I was writhing in pain all night, vomiting. It felt what I’d imagine poison would feel like like. My whole body was on fire. I was genuinely saying my last goodbyes as knew something was seriously wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mary Ellen Moffett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Root canal infection.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I'm lucky enough in that I've never broken anything or had any serious medical incidents. I'm prone to what you might call idiotic episodes though where I injure myself in ways you would think are impossible.

The most painful was running into the end of my squash racquet when the head of it kind of got stuck against the wall as I was still running flat out. I looked like I'd been branded on my thigh for a couple of weeks afterwards. Absolute agony though. Drove home and the feel of my shorts rubbing off the wound had tears streaming down my face. Thankfully it didn't last all that long but the instant it happened and the half an hour afterwards was the worst pain I'd ever felt. I was laughing through tears trying to explain to my opponent how it had happened though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Pulmonary embolism in the car on the way to work bloody stung, although I once took a lacrosse ball to the nads which I don't recall much of except the 6 weeks of agony after.

We were showing off to some ladies and I went in nets without a box or throat guard thinking "no one's being serious". One lad wound up from the middle of the week before and let fly....

Pulling lasses was off the cards for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Appendicitis. Foolishly ignored the pain for 2 days thinking it’d go away, by the morning of day 3 I was struggling to get out of bed.

Managed to drag myself to the hospital where I was rushed into surgery to remove my ruptured and gangrenous appendix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Snapped bango-string!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,822 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dislocated knee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Torn ACL

Yup, did this and meniscus during a match about 15 months ago. Knee didn't like me changing direction too quickly (won the ball and all). Went down with a howl. The crunching sound inside my knee did not help.

Weirdest thing though, 5 mins later I was sitting there cracking jokes, pain was more or less gone, my leg completely didn't work but that initial pain had subsided.

Anyway still not back properly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Testicular torsion was quite bad. I don't think I've felt anything worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

Watching Crystal Swing perform The Hucklebuck on Ellen would have to be way up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I had ear bone drilled out due to surf's ear. In aftercare the doctor would push medical gauze down into the ear canal with what looked like a knitting needle. He said on the last visit he really wanted to give it a go. I nearly passed out with the pain. I
    had a 10 min walk back to the car and paid the parking ticket sat in the car and couldn't remember how i got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Watching Ireland play Gibraltar tonight, the mental anguish is unbearable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Many years ago when out playing outside around my house i found an old lighter(Which wasn't refillable) I in my moment of wisdom thought i'd refill it with lighter fluid, Tried once only sparks but the second time it just exploded in my hand and from my hand all the way up to my elbow was on fire but at that time i remember that i didn't panic and felt no pain but calmy walked to the kitchen sink and submersed my arm in water and told my mother i was washing my hands!:P

Shortly after the pain kicked in and was extremely sore and went to hospital. I'm not scarred or anything but i remember them prodding away at massive blisters and covered my arm in a cast for a good one. I also pour boiling water all over my chest twice on two separate times and also got blisters nearly two inches cut/punctured but the pain i felt from the lighter exploding was way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Three injections into my breast in preparation for a state of the art cat-scan in a local hospital. The pain was so bad, the assistant radiographer held my hand right through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

Quinsy, I waited a few days to go the doctor because I was too stubborn, breathing was painful at that stage, too painful too swallow my saliva so was literally pooling in my mouth I was almost dribbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

2 broken legs and set them myself (well, two reductions, severe, in a confined space which I was blocking the door to. Not compound breaks. I've done it a few times and the same result as going to hospital but with less stress. I could walk sooner after doing it myself ) but it's not pain that bothers me it's other factors like helplessness or the disgust /horror. I've only had worse pain once . I would find waiting for help harder than that . I'd other injuries with that . Still have a ridiculous phobia .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

teenage heartbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Appendicitis.

I don't think I'll ever forget it.

• Advertisement

2 broken legs and set them myself .

:eek:

Zorya wrote: »
    :eek:

haha i have to admit im starting to enjoy telling people this .
    better than hyperventilating about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Had a motorbike accident years ago. Landed on my knees and hands for 20 foot or so.

4 hours later in A&E when the wounds where dry they SCRUBBED the road and dirt out of me.

I moaned and cried so much the nurse rubbed my hair and said shhhhh its OK its for the best !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

migraines :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Childbirth was a walk in the park compared to that pain. I have a relatively high tolerance to pain, but that was the worst I have ever experienced.

I accompanied my relative (RIP) for tests about ten years ago . She was a nurse in WWII and not faint hearted , and she'd had other procedures . She was upset afterwards and told me to ''never have an angiogram ''.

Surprising how subjective pain can be, though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Before I went in to have my appendix out I told the nurses I didnt want any painkillers. When I came round the pain was horrible felt like i was on fire inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Surgical wound dressing. I had sepsis from an abscess 25cm deep inside my leg/ass area.

So that HAD been the worst pain of my life (I literally couldn't walk, sit or lie down by the time i got to hospital, I was given a bed within 5 minutes of arriving to a packed a+e).

Until after my operation. Holy mother of God. They had to leave the 25cm deep surgical wound open to heal, and pack it with internal dressings. They gave me Oxy and told me they'd do it in half an hour when the Oxy kicked in.

First time they did the dressing, I didn't scream or anything but i lay there alternating between quietly sobbing and not being able to breathe. Horrible experience.

And I get to do it all over again for my next op :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

17 stitches in my heel with no anesthetic last summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Motorcycle crash. Over a bonnet @40mph and landed on my hip. Needed morphine in the hospital for them to be able to position me on the X-ray table the pain was so bad......the morphine was great though!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Root canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Fractured back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My OH snapped the top of her femur up at the her pelvis a few years ago.

What convinced me that "she" is not of this world is the fact that she survived for about 36 hours without any pain relief.

I was working away from home at the time and arrived back to the house to find her shivering from what I think was shock.

Paramedics spent twenty mins working on her in the ambulance before they headed to the AE.

36 hours without any pain relief .. nothing .

:( I feel bad thanking all these posts telling of excruciating pain and ever more novel ways of injuring the body, so if ye don't mind I'm just gonna look on in slack jawed horror....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Having a catheter pulled out after having surgery on kidney stones - which involved a camera, various surgical implements, a stent and a lazer all being shoved up my japs eye into my kidneys - the catheter was there to help release all the bits of a huge stone, but if you have had that burn - you know the feeling, when yer wan pulled it out (yanked) i made a sound i have never heard before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Had surgery to remove a tumour on my spine. Didn't know it at the time but they knicked my spinal cord resulting in the fluid leaking. When they tried to sit me up the next day,I thought my head had explored Pain was like nothing I could describe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Heartbreak.

Physical pain is only temporary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Grueller

Soulsun wrote: »
    ACL/PCL and medial.

Wisdom tooth extraction was tough also.

Medial for me was waaaaay worse than the cruciate. Have done both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Kidney stone. Was so bad that I started to question was it pain at all, was delirious.

Kidney stone, and also pancreatitis, equally agonising, wanted to be put down both times. Pure agony. Way more than childbirth.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Discography, a procedure on the l5s1 disc on my lower back.
    After a crash in 1999
    The pain was 11 out of ten, I was 22 and nearly passed out during the procedure....

• Advertisement
Advertisement