Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most pain you've ever endured?

• 23-03-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I'm talking physical, but emotional is also accepted.

Mine was "just" facial cleansing.

I know it sounds trivial but I swear to god it was extremely painful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

There is no pain comparable to stepping on a plug. I've considered throwing out all appliances to prevent it ever happening again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

A knee to the balls is no picnic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Lego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Childbirth.

I had to listen to her moan, scream and go on and on about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Kidney stone. Was so bad that I started to question was it pain at all, was delirious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

How dirty was your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A knee to the balls is no picnic.

Was training for a tag rugby match one evening and one of the girls miskicked the ball... I tried not to drop to the ground, stayed standing and tried to pretend I hadn’t just taken a rugby ball into the goolies with a fair degree of force behind it, that she’d missed me by inches. The humiliation was almost as painful - “I’m fine, I’m fine, close one”... :pac:

Being trodden on by a horse as a child ranks well up there, I remember the pain at the time, can’t really remember much else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Had minor surgery on my eyelid last year. Had to get 2 injections into my eyelid / eyeball beforehand.

I roared in pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Dry socket after a tooth extraction . OMG it was like an electric drill into my jaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Waiting for an operation to put my pelvis back together. I spent four days being rolled every so often to prevent bed sores and could feel the broken pieces of my pelvis moving and scraping off each other. Even full of morphine it was agony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Going over on ankle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Torn ACL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Liechtenstein 0 - 0 Republic of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

That intense pain when you twinge your neck is probably the sorest but it's so short lived.

Lumbar puncture headache was up there. If cracking open my skull would have relieved it, if probably have done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Damaged nerve and leg unable to straighten after 7 days in hospital bed.

I was straightened out for the MRI machine by 4 nurses and the pain was so bad I crapped myself and nearly passed out.

I'd have a high pain tolerance but that was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Getting the top of my fingers caught in a motor, only missing the top of 1 of them thankfully but the pain is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Tooth nerve pain, I never knew a human could endure such pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Torn ACL

I've torn both ACLs wasn't too bad for me

Gout when you cant take painkillers, that's quite the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Gout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Corneal ulcer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Kidney stones about forty years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Broke my arm and it was twisted around the wrong way, doctors gave me morphine but I had an allergic reaction to it, so they had to set the bone back and put a cast on it without any painkillers, that totally redefined pain for me, I "blacked out" about 30sec onto it, except I could only see all white instead of black ha.

Was back on the bike 9 or 10weeks later thankfully also ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Had an internal abscess burst and erupted through the skin ripping open an old surgical wound from the inside outside lots of blood lots of pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Falling off a badly placed ladder. I only feel about 2 feet but because the ladder moved away from the wall my legs slipped through the rungs and I skinned about a foot up the front of each shin. Pain was so bad I just crawled to a comfortable spot and laid there for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

SPD/PGP.
    Sitting down hurts, standing hurts, lying down hurts. Every single movement feels like your pelvis/hips are about to snap leading to the necessity of a walking stick/crutches just to be able to walk.

Second to that was a bad lung infection. Couldn’t even sleep with the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

A cut across the surface of my eye with a hard plastic edge.i could see a line down my pupil and fluid came out of it.i never ever felt pain as intense or a feeling so uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

ACL/PCL and medial.

Wisdom tooth extraction was tough also.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Gallstones and accompanying gallbladder attack. Worst experience of my life so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Inflamed testicals
    things were like tennis balls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Got most of my foreskin and a small bit of ball skin stuck in the zip of me chinos in the jacks in Harry Byrne’s in Clontarf when I was in a rush to go back out and watch a Liverpool game.

Agony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Childbirth for me but I never had any other operation/broken bone/ligament damage/stones (kidney or gall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've had a wide range of painful incidents.
    Tonsillectomy as an adult, followed by haemorrhage due to Luis Garcia 😉
    Ruptured appendix removed and drain in for a few days.
    Double pneumonia partially self inflicted ;) was very painful too!
    Multiple broken bones of which the most recent was the most painful.
    December 2017 I had a subluxed dislocation of my thumb with a volar plate fracture and torn ulnar and radial ligaments.
    Simple things like turning a key became an endurance challenge.
    Only had surgery to fuse the thumb in December and it's finally becoming less painful.

For all the lads on about a knee in the nuts...
    A gentle flick is so much worse, it sneaks up and leaves you almost vomiting.

But the most intense physical pain I've ever had, Kidney Stones!

Got to 30 before I ever encountered pain that made me collapse!
    I was literally having a pee, pain hit me and I blacked out!
    Came to a bit later and picture a post goal knee slide with a knee either side of the jack's!
    Me on my back still pissing all over myself and honestly incoherent from pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Gallstones. Definitely. Made childbirth with no pain relief seem like a walk in the park!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

The late late show. Ten minutes is all I could take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anaesthetic before a circumcision, 3 injections into the penis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Knine wrote: »
    Gallstones. Definitely. Made childbirth with no pain relief seem like a walk in the park!

I thought that gallstones pain was terrible... until I work up after getting the gall bladder out!

Turns out they had to abandon the keyhole surgery half way though and cut me open instead. Annoying thing was that not only did I now have a 12 inch wound. I also had 3 others where they had attempted the first operation!

13 months on and I am still not recovered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Caught my finger in a blender and took a big flap of skin off in a spiral down to the first knuckle, that stung.

Waking up to the painkillers wearing off after getting two wisdom teeth out. Went to sleep all happy and loopy :(

But I've had period pain worse than both, spinning that roulette wheel every month does keep life exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Anaesthetic before a circumcision, 3 injections into the penis

We have a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

FitzShane wrote: »
    Had minor surgery on my eyelid last year. Had to get 2 injections into my eyelid / eyeball beforehand.

I roared in pain!

This. Have had the same multiple times. No one, and I mean no one, can explain the pain of having a needle inserted into ones eyelids. I say this having had multiple broken bones, dislocations etc - none of them come near to that level of pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Appendicitis. The initial pain was bad enough, got sick on the farm I was working on at the time. Then it got horrible so we drove up to Sligo General, got some morphine to quell it. I see the opioid appeal now :D

Operation went grand, but the opening got infected a week after leaving the hospital. This bit was the real pain. Consultant initially said they'd clean it out under general anesthetic, then changed his mind to local anesthetic.

The next morning he did neither, and effectively stabbed me. That hurt, you bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had a kick in the balls once when play-fighting with a mate, was no joke how painful it was. I threw up and everything..

Cracked a tooth and exposed the nerve, couldn't even think straight for pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Fortunately I havent had anything too bad. Breaking my wrist was quite sore. I fell on my way into work. When I got up, I immediately felt this huge surge of nausea. Went on into work and sat at my desk looking at it for about two hours without moving it and convincing myself that it was grand even though it was about three times the size of my other wrist :/

Also when your leg locks up/cramps. I remember the first time that happened me and I stupidly thought relaxing it was the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

Dislocated Shoulder. Sore even thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭shannonman81

Spent nearly thirty years playing soccer as a goal keeper... Broken fingers cracked ribs broken wrists dislocated fingers broken nose.
    I broke the top of my tibia where the ACL attaches and has to have a screw put in...
    But none of this pain comes anywhere close to the kidney stone I got last year. The pain is on a different level to anything I had experienced before. I was physically sick from it (I thought that was a myth)
    Morphine did nothing except make me want to get more sick.

They put a stent in and then I had six blasting sessions (which are fine)
    Then they have to take the stent out...😳
    Lie down and the nurse rubs a numbing cream into your bits(it does nothing)
    Then the doctor goes up with a long tweezer thing and at one point he bursts through there sphincter of your bladder and pulls out the stent... While you watch it on camera (it is just a feeling of pure violation)

If you ever wonder are you drinking enough water... Your not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

He drags it out because he loves hearing himself talk so much.

Climbing a lampost as a young fella to hang out of the right angle part ( that was the dare at the time) then sliding back down, my feet slid either side of the wide part at the bottom that was meant to stop me and absolutely busting my rib cage off it, lay there for about 10mins roaring, before realising my Ma might hear me. Still get the heeby - jeebies thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Coming off the anaesthetic after my brain surgery- sick as a dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

stepping on a piece of Lego.
    also some posts on boards.. different type of pain but pain nevertheless

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I went all the way up to 11 once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Kick in the coccyx, ridiculous amount of pain despite its puny size. Also came down on the ankle at nearly 90 degrees. Two weeks on crutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

Having a 9lb 13oz baby with no pain relief ... I was like the girl from the film the exorcist !!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement