Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most pain you've ever endured?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

800m race.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Was out on a hack years ago when I was 16 came off the horse but unfortunately my boot (and me) got caught in the stirrup and was dragged by a galloping horse for about 20 yards that was both very painful and terrifying!

Have also had 3 c sections open gallbladder removal (9inch scar) had half my large bowel removed due to Crohn’s disease and kidney stones but they weren’t nearly half as bad as that time on a horse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

A lorry crushing my legs. Also the pain that losing a pet brings, both physical & emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

When I tripped, fell and subsequently found out I had completely torn my right subscapularis tendon, and dislocated the long head of the biceps tendon.

Resulting surgery and a 12 month recovery 6 months of that I wasn’t aloud to use my right arm.

Two years on I have about 70% of the motion. Occasionally my shoulder aches, and it’s difficult to exert the kind of strength needed to open stubborn jars or screws as the pain is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Out of curiosity ...For those of you with surgical scars, how long did yours take to fade ?

Mine's hip-to-hip but barely visible and only shows up under bright light . It's been like this from about 8 months after surgery .Surgeon was neat, it's just a very fine white line , but is that normal, fast , or slow ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Out of curiosity ...For those of you with surgical scars, how long did yours take to fade ?

Mine's hip-to-hip but barely visible and only shows up under bright light . It's been like this from about 8 months after surgery .Surgeon was neat, it's just a very fine white line , but is that normal, fast , or slow ?

Those scars stay for life. I have one from when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eggbread

TMJ headaches.

One time it hurt so bad I went temporarily insane and started screaming and thrashing around on the floor. I hit my face on the ground and gave myself a massive nosebleed. Blood everywhere. It was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Testicular torsion., Jesus i still wince thinking about it.
    Had to get one removed.

mzungu wrote: »
    Those scars stay for life. I have one from when I was a child.

oh, sure . I know it can't totally vanish . It's already as good as I could've hoped for .And I don't mind it. I'm just surprised because I expected it to be visible for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭holliehobbie

My scar from the TAH is very neat and fine. I even have one little spot about a third of the way down where there is no scar visible even though it had been 'opened up'. Dissolvable sutures are good. Staples are good too for leaving a very narrow scar. Had them in after c-section and neck scars. Bio-oil is your friend too!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Went to the dentist years ago to get an extraction.
    The dentist was having trouble pulling the tooth and for some reason pushed the tooth up and then pulled it again. It eventually came out. I didnt feel it really as she had numbed the gum before hand. Usual noises etc.

Fast forward about an hour later when I was at home. My GF was at work at the time, I had the day off for the extraction. I was at the sink doing the dishes when a dull ache started. What it was, was that the anesthetic was wearing off.

Over the next 5ish hours, I was actually close to ending it. The pain I felt going from the bottom of my jaw to the side of my eye was something that I have never felt since. It was so bad I was actually screaming. I could only describe it as something like someone with a small rock hammer smashing the side of face while I was also being electrocuted. I had a sinus infection for about 2 months afterwards.

I finally found out that a piece of the tooth's root was lodged into the nerve ending of my jaw. A different dentist found it on a xray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A full force kick off a bullock into the stones was probably the most painful thing I’ve experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I was hung, drawn and quartered for high treason in 1708.
    Having my head hacked off was the most painful part of the process - the axe was dull and the eyesight of its wielder duller.

Luckily I'm a quick healer and I'm as right as rain now. No more treason for me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Having my head hacked off was the most painful part of the process - the axe was dull and the eyesight of its wielder duller.

Luckily I'm a quick healer and I'm as right as rain now. No more treason for me though!

The bastards would only love for you to quit now.

Don't give them the soot of it.

Ach, that's just a flesh wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

When I was a kid I slammed a car door on my finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Worst pain I ever enjured was 6 days in hospital with a cluster headache with stroke like symptoms felt like my side of the head was in a serious tight clamp and my body being pressed against a whole bed of needles couldn't move my body or eat and drink for 5 days. I was In pitch black room and nothing would ease the pain wouldn't wish it on worst enemy

Some of these are giving me the cold grues.

Was with a class trip to the beach and one of the girls shouted and went down on the sand but she got straight up again and wanted to go straight in and surf. Turned out she'd been stung by a weever fish. One of the other st's was a surfer or lifeguard himself and knew what to do. Which was handy as I felt like an ass looking into a well. Without him, we'd probably have ended up googling it. He told me those stings are extremely painful so she must be a tough cookie. A shoes-on-the-beach rule was implemented after that .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,906 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

coconnellz wrote: »
    Worst pain I ever enjured was 6 days in hospital with a cluster headache with stroke like symptoms felt like my side of the head was in a serious tight clamp and my body being pressed against a whole bed of needles couldn't move my body or eat and drink for 5 days. I was In pitch black room and nothing would ease the pain wouldn't wish it on worst enemy

It’s very hard to convey how debilitating servere headaches can be not only in terms of extreme discomfort, pain and the general impact that those symptoms bring to your quality of life. I’ve know people with heart problems and even cancer go work, play golf, walks, go to parties and live relatively normal lives. Which is great. With headaches and me having been a sufferer..while supposedly less cronic and not life threatening at all the impact of only being able to stay home in a dark room at times when the onslaught of the symptoms is at its worst is basically brining you to a state of existing rather then living. Not fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Esel wrote: »
    Are the majority of strokes caused by a bleed or a clot?

Edit: Twice as many caused by clot (ischaemic) as by bleed (haemorrhagic).

I know Aspirin is not contraindicated in cases of suspected heart attack.

In the case of a stroke, only a MRI can see if its a bleed or clot. Even an ambulance crew would not give Aspirin. If its a haemorrhage Aspirin would make it worse and could kill them.

Off topic, but I think basic first aid should be taught in all schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

dragona wrote: »
    Kidney stone, and also pancreatitis, equally agonising, wanted to be put down both times. Pure agony. Way more than childbirth.

ooops I forgot to add...a broken rib, caused by my son hugging me after I took him out for a birthday lunch. I heard it crack, that was 7 weeks ago and it still pains me to breathe.

Both my daughters have been taught basic first aid, one in school in transition year and one with the scouts and the Irish Red Cross. They may need it if my health deteriorates and I have a heart attack or stroke in the future. I've had two DVTs and high blood pressure and palpitations because of a rare Endocrine disorder that causes low blood phospate levels and high blood calcium levels. If your calcium gets too high you can have a stroke or heart attack.

dragona wrote: »
    ooops I forgot to add...a broken rib, caused by my son hugging me after I took him out for a birthday lunch. I heard it crack, that was 7 weeks ago and it still pains me to breathe.

Have you ever had your blood calcium levels checked? The Endocrine disease I have can cause osteoporosis, pancreatitis and kidney stones due to high calcium levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Nothing worse than the pain of a toothache imo.

left a chest infection develop into pneumonia that saw me spend a week in james's. was back walking on day three and allowed myself to cough while en route to the jacks, woke up on the floor with a cracked rib as a result.

collateral and medial ligaments of the left knee, jesus i made some noise about that but what i remember most now is the sound and the feel of it happening.

i sprained ankle ligaments once badly enough to get to a&e and it was going ok until the doctor, bent over, managed to hook his stethoscope between my toes on the affected foot without either of us noticing. when he straightened up he took me with him and the full weight on the sprain and if i was only able to catch him id have killed him but he made tracks before i composed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 danny28ryan

When I was 19 I had meningococcal septacemia. I had been misdiagnosed by GP and an A+E doctor.
    The pain in my head was indescribable. I was lucky as I only had a few hours left to survive before I was correctly diagnosed after my 2nd visit to hospital. I knew I was dying and will remember the pain forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

A crohn's flare when I was 18. Ended up in hospital with it. Barely slept for weeks, lost two stone and I was pretty skinny at the time. Was basically stabbing pains within my gut, I've had other ones since but none that were so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Fractured coccyx...... everything around it went into spasm - unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Had my rib cage pulled apart and a guy playing with my heart for a few hours.

They told me he was the surgeon B-)

Advertisement