Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Brad Pitt is starting to look his age, although he looks good for it. That's a rare thing, like most relationships with decades between the couple. Most people pair off within their own age group but exceptions occur and it's often where extreme beauty or wealth are factors.

Melania wouldn't be with Donald if he was penniless, and likewise Donald wouldn't be with Melania if she was plain. If they're both getting what they want out of it then it's no-one elses business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

it's a lot to do with genetics. some people in their 50s look great while some in their 20s are wrote-off. but then the amazing looking 50 plusers look "amazing" because they look young.

YOonE74.jpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

My first, and pretty much only, reaction to Monsieur Moix is...Oh, my goodness, what the hell is going on with your Neanderthal forehead, you poor lad.

Zorya wrote: »
    My first, and pretty much only, reaction to Monsieur Moix is...Oh, my goodness, what the hell is going on with your Neanderthal forehead, you poor lad.

Same thing that goes on in most mens heads. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/style/dating-apps-online-men-women-age.html

We all know some men who will speak a good game about equality and attraction but when acting as anonymous individuals on a dating site they'll prefer younger women nearly every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That isn't remotely true, either in France or Ireland.

Ever notice Donald Trump is married to someone who looks-wise seems to be out of his league? It's a mystery and yet, it's common, if only there was an explanation...

Yet most of us know hardly any 50 year old man dating a 25 year old

Im nearly 25 and the chances of most of my female friends dating a man that old is pretty much zero, people as young as that do not care about money. When women start settling down, then sure, money is a big advantage to men in the dating scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a very French point of view it should be said. Anyone who knows anything about French culture knows that the mature woman is considered "hot" :D Catherine Deneuve and others of her generation are walking goddess's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Rory28 wrote: »
    Not every woman and its not just women. There are sugar daddys a plenty on the gay scene as well.

Also Bradd Pitt is 55.

So what? Should I be willing to sleep with Brad (it's one d, by the way) Pitt at any age just because he is Brad Pitt??

Men twice my age have never been not on my radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You've really got a chip on your shoulder about women, if you think that's what would happen.

Ignoring the lazy ad hominem: it's not about thinking it would happen, it would happen, and it wouldn't be just women that would say it either, there would be plenty of men that would have a go at any guy that suggested that there was something wrong with an older woman saying she preferred younger guys... and rightly so too, don't see what's wrong with either gender having a preference for younger men or women.

Older guys who like younger women are usually referred to as dirty old men, whereas women who like younger guys are referred to as cougars. Hell, they even had a TV show called Cougar Town. It's just not socially acceptable for men to say they prefer young women as it is for women to say they like young men and yes the latter is celebrated.

Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:

https://theweek.com/articles/502298/why-candace-bushnell-prefers-younger-men

Same thing that goes on in most mens heads. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/style/dating-apps-online-men-women-age.html

We all know some men who will speak a good game about equality and attraction but when acting as anonymous individuals on a dating site they'll prefer younger women nearly every time.

Hahah no not IN his Neaderthal forehead, I mean his actual Neanderthal forehead :D Have you seen the state of that ridge?

I don't care what he thinks about women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Men twice my age have never been not on my radar.

lol

When aspiration and expectation collide with reality.

What they prefer, and what they can attract are often rather different. Most people have unrealistic expectations when talking about their ideal partner, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think if you're talking purely sexual then looks matter more than anything and that goes for women too. Long term though it's not that important, if you plan on building a life with someone there are higher priorities than what they look like naked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ignoring the lazy ad hominem: it's not about thinking it would happen, it would happen, and it wouldn't be just women that would say it either, there would be plenty of men that would have a go at any guy that suggested that there was something wrong with an older woman saying she preferred younger guys... and rightly so too, don't see what's wrong with either gender having a preference for younger men or women.

Ah here. It's hardly an ad hominum to say you seem to have your chip on your shoulder about an issue that seems to have gotten you het up. That's the very definition of having a chip on one's shoulder.

Anyway no, that's not what I think would happen. I'd say the reaction would be much the same.

Older men have regularly been celebrated for chasing after young women and they still are fairly regularly.

I think you're seeing what you want to see here, letting your prejudices get in the way of objectivity.

Rory28 wrote: »
    lol

I'm pretty sure you worked out that was a typo from previous posts ðŸ˜

Didn't realise women have a hive mind.

On this issue it would seem they do

The average marriage across almost all of the western world consists of a woman approximately 2-3 years younger than the man

Regional singulate mean age of marriage (SMAM) difference between males and females
    Eastern Europe 3.1 yrs
    Northern Europe 2.3 yrs
    Southern Europe 3.3 yrs
    Western Europe 2.7 yrs
    Caribbean 2.9 yrs
    Central America 2.5 yrs
    South America 2.9 yrs
    Northern America 2.3 yrs
    Australia/New Zealand 2.2 yrs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships

Anyway you dont even need statistics, look around you you just never see a 50 year old man dating a 25 year old under normal circumstances ever, men who think theyll have 25 year olds interested in them at that age have their head in the clouds

eviltwin wrote: »
    I think if you're talking purely sexual then looks matter more than anything and that goes for women too. Long term though it's not that important, if you plan on building a life with someone there are higher priorities than what they look like naked.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

tenor.gif

I'm gonna disagree there. :) It's still there on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I'm pretty sure you worked out that was a typo from previous posts ðŸ˜

hey now you called me out on a typo. Freudian slip perhaps? :p

I'm only messin

Just because they don't couple up doesn't mean they aren't shagging.
    The average 50 year old Irish man could have the pick of the litter if he walked into coppers on freshers night Im sure yeh

Arghus wrote: »
    In some other quotes he acknowledges that he wouldn't consider himself to be a catch either.

I agree with him on that. I just googled him and he is odd looking to me.

Sure the place is just littered with couples like that. Everywhere they are. Literally clogging up the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mods endorsing posts which attack a user personally now.

Have you read the charter?
    Oh bollocks to that, I can read posts. Personal abuse, get out of it.

And stop trying to mod the forum yourself while you're at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Prefer the cougars myself

Ah here. It's hardly an ad hominum to say you seem to have your chip on your shoulder about an issue...

Nope, you didn't say that I had a chip on my shoulder about the issue (as you're now claiming). You said I had a chip on my shoulder about women. Here's the quote:
    You've really got a chip on your shoulder about women....

And if that is not attacking a poster and not the post, then I don't know what is.
    ..an issue that seems to have gotten you het up. That's the very definition of having a chip on one's shoulder.

I'm not 'het up'. I just have an opinion you don't agree with. Maybe just argue it next time rather than posting insults.
    Anyway no, that's not what I think would happen. I'd say the reaction would be much the same.

Prove it then. Show us an example of a woman getting a similar reaction to the chap referenced in the OP.
    I think you're seeing what you want to see here, letting your prejudices get in the way of objectivity.

Nope, not at all. In fact it's something of a cliche at this stage of men being told they are intimated by powerful successful women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fantastic.

Let the battle to the mutliquote death begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I'm 41. I can certainly understand where he's coming from.

He's simply expressed his preference.

I wonder if he would have received the same reaction if he were anything other than a straight white middle aged man.

Arghus wrote: »
    You gotta love how you saw an opportunity for some wimmin bashing in even this subject.

"Wimmin bashing"? Strange given that some women thanked the post. Maybe you just misunderstood the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

"Wimmin bashing"? Strange given that some women thanked the post. Maybe you just misunderstood the point.

We'll agree to disagree.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm not 'het up'. I just have an opinion you don't agree with. Maybe just argue it next time rather than posting insults.

Disagreeing with you isn't insulting you.

I'll leave it there, since you're clearly not for turning, in the shameful knowledge that we've both already contributed to the ****storm of publicity this chap clearly hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I'm 46 and his comments don't bother me. I look after myself, feel young, never had children (personal choice) and am often mistaken for much younger. I'd say my body is in great shape and certainly don't feel invisible.

As a 25 yo would I be attracted to a 50-year-old man? Never.

We clearly weren't meant to be 😂

Pics or GTFO 😀😀😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Funny how people keep bringing up Trump and melania as an example of an older man with a hot way out of his league younger wife. Sure she's almost 50 herself. Suppose he'll be due an upgrade as soon as she hits the big 5-0 as she'll be consigned to the scrap heap immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

He's right. Good on him if in his 50s he can get a 25 year old beauty.

Who wants a nagging Aul wan when you can get a woman in her prime.

OldRio wrote: »
    And what about the Multi millionaire 50 year old French Author?

But she’s well past 25, 46 to be exact so I don’t see how she can make that assumption at this late stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

DS86DS wrote: »
    He's right. Good on him if in his 50s he can get a 25 year old beauty.

You're only as old as the woman you feel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

25 year olds can nag too. In the top three of best figures I've observed in the nip one was 40 and there are an awful lot of out of shape 20 odd year olds.

Meh, in shock news men tend to prefer younger women, women tend to prefer taller more successful men. In other news water is wet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Funny how people keep bringing up Trump and melania as an example of an older man with a hot way out of his league younger wife. Sure she's almost 50 herself. Suppose he'll be due an upgrade as soon as she hits the big 5-0 as she'll be consigned to the scrap heap immediately.
    In fairness his Orangeness is in his 70's.

Disagreeing with you isn't insulting you.

Of course and I have no issue with you disagreeing with me, just with your ad hominem remark.
    I'll leave it there, since you're clearly not for turning...

Why would I be? So you're not going to provide an example of a woman getting lambasted in a similar fashion for saying she likes younger men? Ah well, in that case I'm going to have take that as you conceding you were wrong :)

Anyway, moving on.... see on GMTV his comments were even called "disgusting".

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1082549568645017601

Utter nonsense and there's no way an older woman in the public eye making similar comments about young guys would receive the same sort of scorn.

By the way, I vehemently disagree with him... but they're his preferences and so be it.

Of course and I have no issue with you disagreeing with me, just with your ad hominem remark.

So you're not going to provide an example of a woman getting lambasted in a similar fashion for saying she likes younger men? Ah well, in that case I'm going to have take that as you conceding you were wrong :)

Utter nonsense and there's no way an older woman in the public eye making similar comments about young guys would receive the same sort of scorn.

No wonder there is outrage on GMTV, they completely misrepresented what he said.

It would be outrageous to suggest any group is unlovable but he wasn't saying that, he was giving his own personal opinion, not speaking for men as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Why would I be? So you're not going to provide an example of a woman getting lambasted in a similar fashion for saying she likes younger men? Ah well, in that case I'm going to have take that as you conceding you were wrong :)

By the way, I disagree with him... but there his preferences and so be it.

Who cares what chattering Aul wans like Lizzie Cundy think. If a man can get a prime aged woman in her 20s, then he is going to.

No amount of virtue signalling from a bunch of middle aged feminist battleaxes is going to change that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Candie wrote: »
    I hope he's okay with being deemed unlovable too. Plenty of people in the age group he's attracted to wouldn't be remotely interested in a guy as old or older than their dad.

He's entitled to his preferences, but how you state them (if you really must) can make you sound like a boor.

Which aspect of what he said was boorish ? He prefers a younger woman what is so bad about that?

Wibbs wrote: »
    25 year olds can nag too. In the top three of best figures I've observed in the nip one was 40 and there are an awful lot of out of shape 20 odd year olds.

Meh, in shock news men tend to prefer younger women, women tend to prefer taller more successful men. In other news water is wet.

Jaysis, you're a right oul man-whore :D

Some people won't be happy until men are completely policed in what they say.

Who cares what chattering Aul wans like Lizzie Cundy think. If a man can get a prime aged woman in her 20s, then he is going to.

No amount of virtue signalling from a bunch of middle aged feminist battleaxes is going to change that

exactly the auld bags who feel threatened with irrelevance.

love the way that they trot out the exact same names of 4 or 5 women that have actually managed to stay attractive - what about the 100's of millions of other ones...?

Candie wrote: »
    When aspiration and expectation collide with reality.

What they prefer, and what they can attract are often rather different. Most people have unrealistic expectations when talking about their ideal partner, to be fair.

In a way, your post is far more depressing than the original comment as in most people would rather be with someone hotter but settle for whoever they can get.

Which aspect of what he said was boorish ? He prefers a younger woman what is so bad about that?

He had to tell the world about it, say something shocking to get yourself in the limelight.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    He had to tell the world about it, say something shocking to get yourself in the limelight.

It's shocking to the easily offended and predictably, the media know this and use it for clicks.

glasso wrote: »

love the way that they trot out the exact same names of 4 or 5 women that have actually managed to stay attractive - what about the 100's of millions of other ones...?
    Sure all 25 year old women are beauties. Would you rather be with a 25 year old ugly woman or a 55 year old beautiful woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You wouldn’t kick Terri Hatcher out of bed for baking a bad cake.

glasso wrote: »

why do you have to talk about women like that? Do you look at the older women in your life as "aul bags"? So what if there are women out there who are not as attractive as a 25 year old, it's called ageing and it happens to all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There you go folks. If you have only learned one thing today it's "don't have an opinion on ANYTHING because it will offend someone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The theres Sandra Bullock.