Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Green Plaza -- public consultation open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

The traffic around the rest of town was pretty bad today, was this because of the new road closures or was it just a particularly busy Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

MovieFest wrote: »
    The traffic around the rest of town was pretty bad today, was this because of the new road closures or was it just a particularly busy Sunday?

It's because of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's because of cars.

Most of the cars were from Donegal and other places due to the GAA games on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Who's the 'we' that binned computer modelling? There's an entire industry out there of human behaviour modelling in building design, evacuation design and more.

A large venue in Dublin. It became clear after a few large events that the plans (particularly on egress) that were based on computer models were not working.

So they went in the bin and some people sat down and came up with a new plan to reflect what the humans were doing, not on what they should be doing. Still using it today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Such a contrast between this and South William Street yesterday. I was there til 2:30 and it was bleak. I heard it got a little better later on before it ended at 4.

The steel barriers were just depressing. I realise that it was designed as an event and DCC had to do crowd management with the Gardaí for it (and all the health and safety that came with it) but that only explains the barriers near the tents. The steel barriers in the middle of the road on Dame Street were a ****ing joke. I know it's not on the pedestrianisation proposal but why close off the road and then funnel pedestrians into the sides of the road? The barriers meant you couldn't even cross the road like you could when it was full of cars! I'm glad they got rid of half of the barriers early in the afternoon.

Let's hope they take some of the feedback onboard for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Peregrine wrote: »
    I know it's not on the pedestrianisation proposal but why close off the road and then funnel pedestrians into the sides of the road? The barriers meant you couldn't even cross the road like you could when it was full of cars!

This felt really dangerous to me and I was really uneasy at this point on the street. I was glad to leave the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Unfortunately in the times we live it has become standard to place barriers across any street expected to be packed with pedestrians.

In the past, Dublin Fire Brigade would park an appliance across the road. I'm sure DCC can come up with a more elegant temporary solution for these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Wonder what department in the council is responsible for this? Roads/Traffice/Events?

Anyone have a better email than this one? customerservices@dublincity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wonder what department in the council is responsible for this? Roads/Traffice/Events?

Anyone have a better email than this one? customerservices@dublincity.ie

Maybe the people mentioned in this?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0721/1064382-plans-for-new-plaza-on-college-green/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

stop wrote: »
    Unfortunately in the times we live it has become standard to place barriers across any street expected to be packed with pedestrians.

In the past, Dublin Fire Brigade would park an appliance across the road. I'm sure DCC can come up with a more elegant temporary solution for these events.

Security is not a reason for the mess up today. All they needed was one or two concrete barriers at end of George St and any side street solve all security issues and not barriers on the side of a footpath. Pinning people in with barriers like those used would cause a bigger problem if there was an event with a car/van etc.

Today was totally pointless for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

is_that_so wrote: »
    And unfortunately indicative of what they are likely to do if they make it permanent.

I doubt that they're going to put up permanent pedestrian barriers

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

donvito99 wrote: »
    It's because of cars.

Ha good one.

To actually answer the question asked, I would say that this definitely had an impact on traffic in the surrounding areas. Traffic on the north quays seemed particularly bad at lunchtime while the pedestrian area was extremely quiet.

Another interesting aspect of today was how quiet Westmoreland and D’olier St were, in the event that college green pedestrianisation does go ahead (a long way away based on today’s shambles) there is potential for much wider footpaths on both these streets with a reduction in the number of lanes. That would mean you could have a nice wide pedestrian route from St Stephens Green all the way to the top of O’Connell subject to church lane being closed too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fairly awful showing to be fair. Went in for a walk and it seemed like it was setup to be as unappealing as possible.

As others said, SWS yesterday was better, A DCC organised event today in St.Annes was miles better. I see Dublin Town are orgnising a street party on Henry Street next Saturday.

I left kinda wondering what the point of the trial was. If its to show what the plaza could become, well it's not really going to show that is it? The plaza isn't going to be nice just by closing the roads, it's not until a bit of work goes into it that it'll become sightly or useful. And if the purpose is to show the traffic impact, well a Sunday is never gonna show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Fairly awful showing to be fair. Went in for a walk and it seemed like it was setup to be as unappealing as possible.

As others said, SWS yesterday was better, A DCC organised event today in St.Annes was miles better. I see Dublin Town are orgnising a street party on Henry Street next Saturday.

I left kinda wondering what the point of the trial was. If its to show what the plaza could become, well it's not really going to show that is it? The plaza isn't going to be nice just by closing the roads, it's not until a bit of work goes into it that it'll become sightly or useful. And if the purpose is to show the traffic impact, well a Sunday is never gonna show that.

Funny I’ve literally just said the same thing over on the other infrastructure thread. My understanding was the trial was to “gauge public opinion of the the scheme” and based on today that will be pretty negative I would say.

If that was the aim, I didn’t see a single person out doing surveys etc. which would have got some good feedback even for next week. I did see film crews which were a little OTT and will no doubt be used as propaganda going forward. Sure they could have got some college students to survey people as they walked by to see what they thought etc? The fact they have effectively 3 trials means they can learn something each week although I fear that the one on the August bank holiday is going to be even worse than today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Security is not a reason for the mess up today. All they needed was one or two concrete barriers at end of George St and any side street solve all security issues and not barriers on the side of a footpath. Pinning people in with barriers like those used would cause a bigger problem if there was an event with a car/van etc.

Today was totally pointless for pedestrians.

I have a funny feeling the barriers were there for insurance/liability reasons. Its a road and is maintained with vehicles in mind not pedestrians.

If someone tripped on a pothole or stepping from the pavement to/from the road away from a designated crossing point, DDC would be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Shedite27 wrote: »

I sort of disagree with your point when Grafton Street was first pedestrianised it wasn't paved at first. After the barriers were taken down it properly displayed what the true potential of the plaza even if it isn't as aesthically pleasing as what it will end becoming the concept is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

When I saw the tents and the security I thought here come the overpriced bratwursts and the other crap usually assoicated with these types of events. At least it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would imagine the plethora of barriers can be attributed to our old friend Compo Culture. DCC gets the arse sued out of it on a daily basis. If barriers offer them some protection, they'll lash out the barriers. this is why we cant have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cgcsb wrote: »
    I mean the closure of College Green but DCC could really do anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I would imagine the plethora of barriers can be attributed to our old friend Compo Culture. DCC gets the arse sued out of it on a daily basis. If barriers offer them some protection, they'll lash out the barriers. this is why we cant have nice things.

Not sure if true but has been mentioned on Twitter that the barriers were the Gardais idea, possibly they thought the area would be swamped with a large crowd or something.

In any case i think barriers, and especially the protruding legs on them, are a bigger trip hazard than anything else on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Those barriers are an unthinkable nuisance for pedestrians. DCC did not have to go that level of excess to hold that event for the public yesterday. It was completely stupid & unnecessary. A minimal amount of barriers placed on roads via side streets either end of College Green & near the Luas line & at the Dame St traffic lights would have been enough. If DCC think that placing barriers around the footpaths of College Green to Dame St is going to be attractive to members of the public for attending these summer sundays as a trial for a public plaza in our own capital city; well they will definitely need to think again. What a complete joke of a setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 celtcia

The number of half truths this project is based one that leaves a lot to be desired.

The idea was first proposed in 2016 and sought to ban all traffic in College Green, before being rejected by An Bord Pleanála last year over traffic concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If they're making it permanent they should do it properly and install electric bollards like the dutch use to provide filtered permeability and which can be lowered for emergency services.

They definitely need something to stop entitled motorists doing the usual "the rules don't apply to me" nonsense we get here.

I seen the permanent right turn filter lights from Dame st to George's street are now covered with one of those orange bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is suffolk street definitely going to be pedestrienised regardless? Because it always seems to be closed to cars the last few times Ive been in town

Suffolk st is already effectively pedestianised, except cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Suffolk st is already effectively pedestianised, except cyclists.

Yeh, thats what I mean like it does feel pedestrianised but are they planning on going the full way and landscaping it to make it look like other pedestriniased areas, level surfaces,stone paving etc

I think suffolk st like all of Dublin City Centre is landscaped to 'temporary' standard.
    At the mine we cant do anything because we don't know what's going to happen with College Green, Bus Connects, liffey cycle route, metrolink etc. everything just feels up in the air at the min so nothing can be done, and that's why so many streets are like the surface of the moon.

EDIT: also in terms of things being up in the air, if DCC could remove that, so called, 'paving' from Grafton st(and surrounding streets), issue an apology, fire who ever's fault it was and go about doing it properly, that'd be great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Who supplied all the barriers to DCC? Was it siteserv?

Advertisement