Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

devnull wrote: »
    The model of ticket machine DB are using is approx 20 years old and can barely cope with functionality it has now.

They had Travel 90 tickets years ago.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

They had Travel 90 tickets years ago.

Travel 90 was a completely different product, that required you to pre-purchase your tickets from a newsagent with cash, rather than getting it automatically, was valid on only one mode and applied only for 90 minutes rather than 90 minutes after each transfer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

L1011 wrote: »
    Rather different calculation basis and realistically the machines are at their limit.

I really don't see how it's that different. The criteria stays the same, currently it discounts a transaction by €1, with this change it just doesn't charge for it at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a developer so I have seen situations where a change seems pretty straight forward from the outside but once you start digging into the code it becomes a nightmare. However, nothing you have pointed out so far illustrates why this change is impossible.

You've said that the machines don't have the storage or processing power to work out who needs to be charged and who doesn't. It already does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

devnull wrote: »
    Travel 90 was a completely different product, that required you to pre-purchase your tickets from a newsagent with cash, rather than getting it automatically, was valid on only one mode and applied only for 90 minutes rather than 90 minutes after each transfer.

Not to mention the stamping machines which have been removed for a long long time now. Also, I don’t think it’s going to be 90 minutes after each transfer? I always assumed it was 90 minutes from the start of your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

TheChrisD wrote: »
    For anyone who can't quite visualise the changes listed in the big post... here's a custom map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ilVsfzuzRQ7flK6arBnXwmllnuK1uqBa

Think I have everything reported in there. Only missing the locals because the fate of most of them has not yet been reported bar my own one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deadly! Not to be pedantic but I think the O is missing, but the Heuston side is a mystery to us at this stage so understandable if it was left out intentionally. Thanks though, it’s really helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Slightly disappointed with the H spine, to be honest. I can see why they kept those buses, but I guess that I'm disappointed that they didn't do more with them than just replicate what they've already got.

If they sent them down Marlborough Street, over the bridge, onto Hawkins St, Townsend St, and then Tara St before heading back out onto their normal route northside, then they'll take in a section of the southside, with another Dart Station (which, if Metrolink is built, will be a massive interchange station), and continue to include both Bus Aras and Connolly Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

The machine needs to be able to work out whether someone is to be charged or not, store details of who has been charged and so on. They really don't have the processing power or storage to do this already yet alone another layer of complexity

It can't just take notes and charge later as the transaction has to actually be written to the card and anyway it hasn't got the storage to keep track

It can 100% do that already, it's really not a complicated thing to implement for leap cards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

CatInABox wrote: »
    Slightly disappointed with the H spine, to be honest. I can see why they kept those buses, but I guess that I'm disappointed that they didn't do more with them than just replicate what they've already got.

If they sent them down Marlborough Street, over the bridge, onto Hawkins St, Townsend St, and then Tara St before heading back out onto their normal route northside, then they'll take in a section of the southside, with another Dart Station (which, if Metrolink is built, will be a massive interchange station), and continue to include both Bus Aras and Connolly Station.

Agreed, Talbot/Abbey is a silly place to terminate buses from the north east, it makes interchange very awkward when coming from the opposite side of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

cgcsb wrote: »
    Agreed, Talbot/Abbey is a silly place to terminate buses from the north east, it makes interchange very awkward when coming from the opposite side of the city.

Thought the whole idea of the spines was that they were all cross city but this H spine is not cross city. They could have at least had it run further south perhaps to the likes of Merrion Square.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Thought the whole idea of the spines was that they were all cross city but this H spine is not cross city. They could have at least had it run further south perhaps to the likes of Merrion Square.

Yeah, it's a pretend spine, likely to just get rid of the complaints. I'd worry that the frequency is going to be exactly the same or only just improved a little. Hopefully they take on board comments about it in the second round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Qrt wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic but I think the O is missing

It is there, but since it's a looping route I accidentally turned it into a polygon rather than a line, and to undo that I have to remake the entire line at some point :o

I think a better implementation for them would be to basically merge the G and H spines into one long spine, offering more options for cross-city journeys and increasing the potential for interchange through the central area.

I think a better implementation for them would be to basically merge the G and H spines into one long spine, offering more options for cross-city journeys and increasing the potential for interchange through the central area.

Capital idea

Yes, that's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It looks to me like there's not much in that network preventing a College Green plaza - the A spine could be reconfigured to follow the diversion routes that will be used for the trial closures, and the non-spine routes like the 16 could be sent to the Quays/Winetavern Street instead.

The North-South routes through College Green could stay.

I think the routing via wine tavern street is a good thing. This will surely mean a bus gate at the top of the hill which will have a traffic calming affect. They must be pretty confident about the height of the arch being able to accommodate double deckers turning a sharp corner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anything changing on the W2/W4? There was a lot of shouting by locals in Lucan/Clondalkin, espec over the W4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hello again cgcsb. I'm very pleased in hearing about the new 98 route going from Mountjoy Sq to Loughlinstown Drive. What I would like to know is how does it take the route from Rock Rd to Glenageary Rd? It didn't mention Dun Laoghaire in the routing at all. I would assume here that it is like the 4 again along with the new B4 although most of the new 98 route is like the current 7a from Loughlinstown Pk into Mountjoy Sq. Also; do you know what frequency is available for the 98? Thanks.

Hello again cgcsb. I'm very pleased in hearing about the new 98 route going from Mountjoy Sq to Loughlinstown Drive. What I would like to know is how does it take the route from Rock Rd to Glenageary Rd? It didn't mention Dun Laoghaire in the routing at all. I would assume here that it is like the 4 again along with the new B4 although most of the new 98 route is like the current 7a from Loughlinstown Pk into Mountjoy Sq. Also; do you know what frequency is available for the 98? Thanks.

Through Dún Laoghaire and on to Glenageary rd.

Anything changing on the W2/W4? There was a lot of shouting by locals in Lucan/Clondalkin, espec over the W4

Slight change in Clondalkin with the W2 taking Laurel Park/New Rd instead of the Boot Rd. Other than that, identical

cgcsb wrote: »
    Through Dún Laoghaire and on to Glenageary rd.

Oh. That sounds really good. The 98 basically just mirrors the current 7a from Loughlinstown into Mountjoy Sq. It will probably also share most of it's route with the new B3 from Dun Laoghaire out to Jury's Hotel in Ballsbridge which is even more good news. Although what I trying to understand is that when in Loughlinstown Pk, the new 229, from Brides Glen to Dun Laoghaire DART Stn, has a poor frequency of roughly 45 to 60 minutes per bus. Does the 98 get better frequency than the 229? What I understand from reading the google map from one of the other posters here; the B3 will remain on the Blackrock by-pass in both directions. The 98 will probably take the longer illogical route around Newtown Avenue in Blackrock when heading into town. And then from town; it will go through the Blackrock Main St like the current 7 & 7a routes. Is that correct?

• Advertisement

I've thought about this a bit more, and while I'd love it to happen, I don't think it will. Pretty sure that the H has been left as it currently is because there's no real need for the increased frequency that the G spine would have. There just isn't the population in the catchment area, a fair bit of it is the sea, and there's a dart line running most of the length as well.

Still think they can do something with the end in the city centre, but I don't think they're going to combine it with a high frequency spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Not to mention the stamping machines which have been removed for a long long time now. Also, I don’t think it’s going to be 90 minutes after each transfer? I always assumed it was 90 minutes from the start of your journey.

The Travel 90 ticket remains available from the Vending Machines at Dublin Airport. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The current Leap Transfer 90 discount rolls on with each use...so you can get significant useage out of that €1 rebate function ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I've thought about this a bit more, and while I'd love it to happen, I don't think it will. Pretty sure that the H has been left as it currently is because there's no real need for the increased frequency that the G spine would have. There just isn't the population in the catchment area, a fair bit of it is the sea, and there's a dart line running most of the length as well.

Still think they can do something with the end in the city centre, but I don't think they're going to combine it with a high frequency spine.

I'm not sure there's going to be much of a massive difference in the frequency of the main G and H spines in the end. I mean, as it is the G spine is already planned to be the least frequent of them all at 7.5 minutes off-peak/6 minutes at peak.

If we take the current DB timetables for the equivalent H-spine routes:
    • H1 = 29a, 20m off-peak;
    • H2 = 32, 60m off-peak - but very likely to get boosted as it will be the only main bus service to Malahide following the shortening of the D2, so let's instead go with the 30m off-peak service of the 42;
    • H3 = 31/a, 20m off-peak
    then the main H-spine could easily get to a similar frequency as the G-spine, making an even better reason to connect them into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Will the 95 serve spiddal psrk and what will the route be in Ballyfermot. Any idea of frequency?

Hi cgcsb. Do you know how many extra routes were made in this upcoming consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The current Leap Transfer 90 discount rolls on with each use...so you can get significant useage out of that €1 rebate function ;)

This works pretty well actually, I managed to extend it 5 times on Saturday (without actually trying to!) - only missed out by 4 minutes on the 6th time. But then I reached the daily cap anyway.

Now the €1 "discount" is useful, because one often needs to take about three buses to get to a destination, hopefully with Busconnects a single 90 minute ticket will actually be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

The machine needs to be able to work out whether someone is to be charged or not, store details of who has been charged and so on. They really don't have the processing power or storage to do this already yet alone another layer of complexity

It can't just take notes and charge later as the transaction has to actually be written to the card and anyway it hasn't got the storage to keep track

The machines don't need to store that information, it is stored on the card.
    That is how the leap 90 discount works. It reads the card to see when your last trip was and if it was within the last 90 minutes it gives you the discount.
    I'm sure there is work needed to get it to work but I don't see why they would need to replace the readers on the buses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

elmoslats wrote: »
    The machines don't need to store that information, it is stored on the card.
    That is how the leap 90 discount works. It reads the card to see when your last trip was and if it was within the last 90 minutes it gives you the discount.
    I'm sure there is work needed to get it to work but I don't see why they would need to replace the readers on the buses.

They are too slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

They are too slow.

Probably more to do with the connection speed than the actual readers

Advertisement