Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Last Stop wrote: »
    The M17/18 underwent a full cost benefit analysis before getting the green light. Ironically because it’s a PPP the government are doing exactly what you say and paying for this over a 30 year period.
    Charging more if less people use is senseless economics 101.

A photo a given time does not offer a true reflection of the road as a whole.

Might I also add that a significant cost of the scheme as the provision of a rail bridge over the WRC at Tuam. The WRC also increased the cost of N63 upgrade.

I’m not against the WRC, but I don’t think it’s justifiable at present. North of Tuam and in particular north of Claremorris was never designed as a main rail line and instead to serve local traffic. Upgrading it to current standards would be very expensive.

Likewise the whole NTA obsession with conducting a rail census every year. Running the census on a midweek in mid winter was the classic Beeching tactic, now wholly discredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Likewise the whole NTA obsession with conducting a rail census every year. Running the census on a midweek in mid winter was the classic Beeching tactic, now wholly discredited.

From a transport point of view, mid week in November is the best time to do a survey as it is the best representation of the year. Other parts of the year have reduced demand due to school holidays etc and mid week is best as Monday/Friday have different effects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

https://connachttribune.ie/cannon-rails-against-reopening-the-line-190/
    "
    A Government Minster has claimed that there are less than 40 people using the Athenry to Ennis rail connection on a daily basis.

..."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sligo eye wrote: »

If you want to get low figures you go for early August. Mid November has all education facilities back, Dail and Courts in session, very few people on holiday etc etc. Midweek avoids people taking long weekends which is a distortion factor

Are you advocating they do it on a bank holiday Friday or what? Realistically the only busier time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »
    If you want to get low figures you go for early August. Mid November has all education facilities back, Dail and Courts in session, very few people on holiday etc etc. Midweek avoids people taking long weekends which is a distortion factor

Are you advocating they do it on a bank holiday Friday or what? Realistically the only busier time

Why not base figures on the ticket sales?

(if any)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Cannon" - thought at first the clergy were intervening again!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

"Cannon" - thought at first the clergy were intervening again!

Reopening Athenry-Claremorris will take a miracle alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

"
    A Government Minster has claimed that there are less than 40 people using the Athenry to Ennis rail connection on a daily basis.

..."

Yeah. Ciaran Cannon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah. Ciaran Cannon.

Is he wrong though?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CatInABox wrote: »
    Is he wrong though?

from what i understand yes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

from what i understand yes.

How far out are his figures?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why not base figures on the ticket sales?

(if any)

Not accurate enough. Nowhere close.

So many stations have no or often open gatelines; or have exits that don't require passing a gateline. Plenty of legit passengers don't actually get counted that way as well as fare evaders both intentional and not (expecting to buy on board and nobody asks)

Counting sold tickets would be a overcount in many cases - not everyone with a season pass travels every day

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

"

..."

This could be an accurate representation of the amount of people who use the 3 stations between Ennis and Athenry daily(I can't remember how many it was for sure), but according to the figure for all passengers using the line in 2018, the patronage was much higher, and something like 390 journeys daily was what I think I remember the figure to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I read that as saying less than 40 people use the line on a daily basis as their everyday transport.

Isambard wrote: »
    I read that as saying less than 40 people use the line on a daily basis as their everyday transport.

I think the relevant phrase starts with the words “pulled out of his....”

The data is freely available, go ahead, show he is wrong.

yes I think you're right.If it was not, he would have quoted an average usership

The data is freely available, go ahead, show he is wrong.

Go up and down the line *on the train* a few times and have a look. You might enjoy it

Go up and down the line *on the train* a few times and have a look. You might enjoy it

So no data then?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Isambard wrote: »
    yes I think you're right.If it was not, he would have quoted an average usership

He did.
    “If we forensically examine the figures, the numbers using the Athenry to Ennis section average out at 39 people per day. That is horrendous. It is not sustainable,” Minister Cannon said.

• Advertisement

This could be an accurate representation of the amount of people who use the 3 stations between Ennis and Athenry daily(I can't remember how many it was for sure), but according to the figure for all passengers using the line in 2018, the patronage was much higher, and something like 390 journeys daily was what I think I remember the figure to be.

390 journeys daily is low. Factor in that 350 of them are probably on a SW pass and it's even worse. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

390 journeys daily is low. Factor in that 350 of them are probably on a SW pass and it's even worse. :D

Whether people travel on a FTP (SW pass) is irrelevant as it should be (and is) deemed a person on a FTP has a paid fare - albeit paid by the Social Protection Dept. FTP passengers have to obtain a ticket before travelling.

However, providing a costly but poor, slow, and infrequent service that would be better provided by buses on the new M18 is more to the point.

Whether people travel on a FTP (SW pass) is irrelevant as it should be (and is) deemed a person on a FTP has a paid fare - albeit paid by the Social Protection Dept. FTP passengers have to obtain a ticket before travelling.

However, providing a costly but poor, slow, and infrequent service that would be better provided by buses on the new M18 is more to the point.

I agree. Without the subvention of those on SW passes, the line couldn't exist

a service wouldn't be better provided with busses on the m18 for rail users.
    a better service dispite it's flaws is provided by rail and that is the only way a service can be provided for those users.

a service wouldn't be better provided with busses on the m18 for rail users.
    a better service dispite it's flaws is provided by rail and that is the only way a service can be provided for those users.

When the line was closed due to flooding, buses were OK then.

If you must provide a rail service for rail users, the yes, rail is the only way. However, a faster and more frequent bus service might suit all of them if they are not out on a day out on the railway.

Does IR get paid per journey or is it a lump sum they receive?

When the line was closed due to flooding, buses were OK then.

because the rail service was being returned. so not a case of buses being okay, but a case of well i can put up with it short term.
    If you must provide a rail service for rail users, the yes, rail is the only way. However, a faster and more frequent bus service might suit all of them if they are not out on a day out on the railway.

if buses suited them they would be using what bus services that exist instead of the railway.

because the rail service was being returned. so not a case of buses being okay, but a case of well i can put up with it short term.

if buses suited them they would be using what bus services that exist instead of the railway.

Normally, there would be figures for how many travelled on such a service. There would be surveys as to how to improve the service offered. There are no figures for passenger numbers, despite that they need a ticket to travel. Buses from BE and private services currently compete on this route (or into Galway). It would be interesting to know how many take the train rather than the bus.

I wonder who does not want the information released?

Normally, there would be figures for how many travelled on such a service. There would be surveys as to how to improve the service offered. There are no figures for passenger numbers, despite that they need a ticket to travel. Buses from BE and private services currently compete on this route (or into Galway). It would be interesting to know how many take the train rather than the bus.

I wonder who does not want the information released?

Don't underestimate the lack of capability of Irish Rail or Bus Eireann to count the amount of passengers that actually use their services. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

providing a costly but poor, slow, and infrequent service that would be better provided by buses on the new M18 is more to the point.
    There are two cheaper, good, fast and frequent services on the M18 now, and they have been there since before the final section was complete - Bus Eireann's X51 and Citylink's Galway->Limerick->Cork service. Both take about 1:15 to 1:20 to do the intercity journey.

The X51 has the advantage that some of the services stop at Shannon Airport, which the train will never do. The Citylink service does Galway->Cork direct at weekends in two and a half hours - and that's even before the M20 is built.

Advertisement