Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can’t see that much appetite in this part of the world for the fight, surely less than 50% of the PPVs that the Mayweather one sold. McGregor’s trash talk won’t sell the fight to anything like the extent it did then.
    He’s making a fool of himself, why bother when you have ur money made.

It won’t be near the event/seller that the 2017 fight was

Conor’s trash taking now is met with derision and contempt..

And Manny is not at all like Floyd, who is very unlikable.

It will sell a fair bit, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Can’t see that much appetite in this part of the world for the fight, surely less than 50% of the PPVs that the Mayweather one sold. McGregor’s trash talk won’t sell the fight to anything like the extent it did then.
    He’s making a fool of himself, why bother when you have ur money made.

He will make a few million ppv, sell some whiskey, sell some sponsership, make alot of people rich, he can have another year being Mr Important, its hardly like he is working the saturday night shift in the pheonix park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

walshb wrote: »
    Plenty will care...

Fools and their money are easily parted.

Dana fired back at the UFC 253 post-presser mentioning Conor's retirement. Still convinced Conor likes the big boxing paydays and is not happy to share half with the UFC - hence trying to prove/show that they're in breach re providing him contracted fights, and UFC stating that he's a retired fighter. It'll be messy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

McGregor via text asking Dana to tear up the entire organisations 2020 schedule to fight Diego Sanchez is top level bantz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Dana: "This is some Man code stuff" - McGregor somewhere pissing himself at that :P

I think at this stage Dana has perfected the 'I'm furious with Conor' look and knows he/UFC will be soon be capitalizing on it all at some stage down the road. No doubt this "fallout" will be the main focus of their promo for McGregor's next UFC fight.

Dana: "This is some Man code stuff" - McGregor somewhere pissing himself at that :P

I think at this stage Dana has perfected the 'I'm furious with Conor' look and knows he/UFC will be soon be capitalizing on it all at some stage down the road. No doubt this "fallout" will be the main focus of their promo for McGregor's next UFC fight.

Honestly, I don't think Conor will be fighting in the UFC again. Judging by the timing of all this he's definitely making a case to void his contract so he can make as much as he can from a fight with Manny without paying Dana and WME their cut. The UFC have to offer him 3 fights in a year barring injury. It's been nearly 9 months since his last fight and his screenshots are a pretty bad look for the UFC if he takes them to court to void his contract.

I'm guessing he's either going to be put on standby for the Gaethje/Khabib fight or released from his contract. Dana won't like it but he won't have a choice. The UFC wants everyone to be an independent contractor so they can underpay their fighters and hardball them in negotiations but it also has its downsides for the UFC like what's happening now with Conor. Legally they have to give a timeframe for the contractor to fulfill his contract and judging by Conor's texts they refuse to do that. COVID won't be much of an excuse either. If Messi can't use COVID as an excuse to alter the terms of his contract with Barca then the UFC won't be able to claim that contract law shouldn't apply to them because of COVID.

It's about to get really messy and I love it. Dana has a history of trying to say fighters don't want to fight despite them clearly wanting to, like Poirer only a few weeks back. It's about time someone called him out properly on his BS and he had no real response to the screenshots as he had been caught out lovely. "Conor broke the man code" LOL Even without fighting Conor causes drama and it's great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

McGregors lack of pedigree made no difference at all when it came to the Mayweather fight, in a sense it made it. There may have been a feeling in some quarters that he’d present Floyd with something he hadn’t seen before and might have trouble coping with. Now we know for sure he isn’t a good boxer and certainly won’t win, what’s the point in paying €25 or so?
    I’m sure it’ll be profitable, but will be doing well to get 10% of the audience of the Mayweather fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Dana fired back at the UFC 253 post-presser mentioning Conor's retirement. Still convinced Conor likes the big boxing paydays and is not happy to share half with the UFC - hence trying to prove/show that they're in breach re providing him contracted fights, and UFC stating that he's a retired fighter. It'll be messy...

Conor just needs to ask Ken and others who have sued the UFC and how that turned out for him?

McGregors lack of pedigree made no difference at all when it came to the Mayweather fight, in a sense it made it. There may have been a feeling in some quarters that he’d present Floyd with something he hadn’t seen before and might have trouble coping with. Now we know for sure he isn’t a good boxer and certainly won’t win, what’s the point in paying €25 or so?
    I’m sure it’ll be profitable, but will be doing well to get 10% of the audience of the Mayweather fight.

Mayweather still made a fooking meal out of beating him. He actually lost several rounds as well, and only started getting on top when McGregor got tired...

For me, Mayweather was the loser here. Taking ten rds to finally stop a complete novice, and looking clumsy and awkward and unsure for large parts of it..

And the fight showed clearly that Conor belongs nowhere near a boxing ring against any decent boxer..

• Advertisement

Conor has bigger and better resources behind him than Ken Shamrock (?) - forgot about that one! or Mark Hunt or even Randy Couture (different scenario though) ... Not saying he would or should win or that either side are doing any more than posturing up at this stage, but he got Dana to react publicly so it's on! I would assume they would aim to agree on a discrete deal - and would also assume that Pacquiao will have clauses that he will only deal with "Pacquiao-McGregor ACME" promotion or some such.
    Who knows obvs, and a lot of speculation here, but given the mega $$$ involved there will be a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mayweather still made a fooking meal out of beating him. He actually lost several rounds as well, and only started getting on top when McGregor got tired...

For me, Mayweather was the loser here. Taking ten rds to finally stop a complete novice, and looking clumsy and awkward and unsure for large parts of it..

I can assure you, Mayweather was the winner in every conceivable way.

He has said in interviews since he made it last to put on a show. Might be posturing, but he's arguably the greatest boxer ever so if anyone can mess around in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

He hardly threw a punch for the first two and a half rounds, sure McGregor won them, but by default because Mayweather didn’t try to win them. Completely one sided from then, total farce.
    If he was going boxing again he should have gone for Malignaggi who is long retired and there’s be at least a possibility of a reasonable fight.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I can assure you, Mayweather was the winner in every conceivable way.

He has said in interviews since he made it last to put on a show. Might be posturing, but he's arguably the greatest boxer ever so if anyone can mess around in there...

We know he was the winner officially..

He still looked dreadful in the fight..

Looked even worse in his next outing against the Japanese lad..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

We know he was the winner officially..

He still looked dreadful in the fight..

Looked even worse in his next outing against the Japanese lad..

He probably would've looked a bit better if he'd trained for the fights but guess he didn't need to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It wont be the money maker hes expecting, there will be no circus promo's with Manny, Manny won't be interested in making it look good like mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

rob316 wrote: »
    It wont be the money maker hes expecting, there will be no circus promo's with Manny, Manny won't be interested in making it look good like mayweather.

It won't sell nearly as well but they'll be getting a significant site fee from the Saudi's for staging the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Lads he’s still gonna make a few million from it no matter what, plenty of whiskey promotion along the way and it’s a no brainer for him, we have to accept he is a business man first and a sports star second and is pretty good at both to be honest. I’ve no real interest in the fight but I’m sure I’ll get caught up in the hype along the way like most people weather we like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Would he even be able promote his Whisky in Saudi Arabia if the fight was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

xtal191 wrote: »
    Would he even be able promote his Whisky in Saudi Arabia if the fight was there?

Maybe not in the ring, but on the broadcast all over the world.
    As an aside, I noticed the boxing on showtime this weekend had Proper 12 plastered all over the ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Dont kid yourself. The fight will be massive.

nah. the mayweather fight was massive because a good lot of people actually believed mcgregor had a chance. that illusion is now shattered. mcgregor gets schooled by any high level boxer and most pros. also manny is not good at selling fights like floyd. the lead up to this will be boring as feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

And the fight showed clearly that Conor belongs nowhere near a boxing ring against any decent boxer..

ah come on, you don't think mayweather dragged it out to put on a show??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A selling point for the fight will no doubt be that he approached the Mayweather fight all wrong and now will have a proper boxing coach in his corner, Phil Sutcliffe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ush1 wrote: »

Post fight claims are hardly credible.
    froog wrote: »
    the mayweather fight was massive because a good lot of people actually believed mcgregor had a chance.
    Nobody with half a brain thought he had a chance.
    He fight was massive because despite the skill it was still interesting from a "what will happen" point of view.
    froog wrote: »
    ah come on, you don't think mayweather dragged it out to put on a show??
    No I don't. Because it's not some thing he has ever done. He serves him no benefit. If anything he's bets were a bigger factor than putting on a show.

Nothing about the early rounds look like somebody putting on a show. He shelled up, and was heavy on defense. That's being cagey and smart, not an exhibitionist. Conor had a small window to win. Floyd was letting that window close. That in itself was an achievement that surprised many reasonable posters.

Mellor wrote: »
    No I don't. Because it's not some thing he has ever done. He serves him no benefit. If anything he's bets were a bigger factor than putting on a show.

Nothing about the early rounds look like somebody putting on a show. He shelled up, and was heavy on defense. That's being cagey and smart, not an exhibitionist. Conor had a small window to win. Floyd was letting that window close. That in itself was an achievement that surprised many reasonable posters.

How many other cross discipline fights did he have? He was defensive in the first two rounds so he could gauge McGregors “power” once he realised that McGregor was throwing pillow hands at him he opened up and danced around for a while before finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Dana is not letting that happen in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's a joke at this stage. Thought he was fighting Manny next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ha there is not a hope Dana will let that happen and McGregor knows it, so he'll release his next series of screenshots and say "look I wanted to fight Dustin for free and I wasn't allowed" :rolleyes:

Advertisement