Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide... TV's Greatest Action Kick Ass Crime Fighting Star Character

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Final

Lieutenant Columbo Columbo

th?id=OIP.MgS11wElmFgZHZsB0d7vQgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Vs.

Dean Winchester Supernatural

th?id=OIP.6eKZ6949AtJTpPj_KPM7twHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=304&h=172

Vs.

William Bodie The Professionals

th?id=OIP.RViqkRh4ylNZFgjR2fGpIwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=256&h=167

Reason(s) appreciated please

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Dean! Apart from the obvious (sexy AF)! He’s a great character, can fight, kick ass, save the world (many times), go to hell, eats pie, drinks beer, gets battered and gets back up, has a heart, did I mention the sexy bit? Not many shows can
    Go 15 seasons (Most of them good) and to be fair if this was real life he’d be fooked with concussion from all the ass kicking and battles. But hes still smiling and even singing! He fights everything from angels, demons, vamps, werewolves and even Gods. So do the right thing, he is the all encompassing kick ass crime fighting winner. One of my nominees

And

he’s a ride ;)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Final

Vs.

th?id=OIP.6eKZ6949AtJTpPj_KPM7twHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=304&h=172

Vs.

you &%$£@*(£;$%^£;£% :P

It's too early to choose between Bodie and Columbo

It's a tough one. Bodie or Columbo. Need thinking time.

When is voting over JP Liz?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

JP Liz V1 wrote:

Dean Winchester because he's badass and kills monsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,239 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I've not seen any of the finalists 😭

:D Too true Plenty - but watching the reruns on ITV4 this poster gets the impression that there are a few seconds cut here and there and some words dubbed over perhaps :pac:

Bloody "brigades". Cowley wouldn't stand for this pc rubbish :pac:

There's a good spoof of the show on youtube that pays homage using montages - it's dubbed over. If you have a spare 25 mins or so it might give you a laugh if you've not seen it before.

]

I'll take a look when I've time.

However, I've watched the full Professionals on said ITV4- (and the Sweeney too indeed, another cracker of a show)- don't think they were over-dubbed or "cut" within episodes compared to original, although there might be one or two episodes no longer shown due to nature of content (racism etc- not that the episodes themselves were being racist, but more that they dealt with racist issues in a certain way which may not be appropriate today). There's certainly 1 episode I think that's been withdrawn - might be Northern Ireland related, I just can't remember.

Final

Columbo had a kickass mind- But Bodie was just undiluted Kickass, with a pure 1970's non-PC approach to getting the bad guys- there's no room for sensitivity, feelings, psychobabble or in some cases, the law- KickAss just doesn't come more concentrated- oh yeah, and he was also once totted as the next James Bond after Roger Moore- Licence to Kill X 2!

Bodie- Final Answer

It's a tough one. Bodie or Columbo. Need thinking time.

When is voting over JP Liz?

I will leave open for 24 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Final

Columbo for the win.

Doesn't need to use a gun, always gets his man ( or woman), lovely dog, great stories about his family etc.

great character and a great series.

Decent opposition he is up against, each who could easily win if Columbo was not nominated for the competition, but , alas, he was, so, that's that then.

Is this the first of a few finals or is it the Final-Final? What happened Jim Rockford? Magnum? Are they all gone? Is this the end? :P

If this is the final final, final :P , then getting 2 1970's characters into it, just shows how dammed good The Professionals and Columbo actually were. Would have placed Kojak before Columbo personally, in terms of "kickAss"- but i'm happy out just seeing Bodie and Columbo beat all the others that they did.

I've not seen any of the finalists ��

Vote Bodie so- women love him- men want to be him. :D

Infacta, some women want to be him and some men also love him- however, I do believe, if he were around today, he'd identify as "kickass".

Is this the first of a few finals or is it the Final-Final? What happened Jim Rockford? Magnum? Are they all gone? Is this the end? :P

This is the final, others were knocked out not enough votes

Thanks JP Liz and ta also for putting Bodie back in the comp :)

Can't make my mind up yet, but Bodie never got old - unlike Columbo who went on into his sixties. Bodie slight favourite at the minute but undecided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Dean Winchester because he's by far the best and it will annoy the fans of '70s '80s cop/detective type shows of a 21st Century Character wins.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

William Bodie - One of my nominations, but also the very essence of kick-ass who'll resort to whatever he has to to get the bad guys. He's about as politically incorrect as you'll get, but smooth enough to be a hit with the ladies. He's basically who James Bond would be if he came from a less privileged background.

Dean Winchester because he's by far the best and it will annoy the fans of '70s '80s cop/detective type shows of a 21st Century Character wins.

It actually won't. We've two 70's shows in the final- all those 80's, 90's, 00's and 2010's shows and two are from the 70s?

Naw:;)

2xr0z9.png

(and yes, I know Cheers was an 80's show :P )

Zaph wrote: »
    William Bodie - One of my nominations, but also the very essence of kick-ass who'll resort to whatever he has to to get the bad guys. He's about as politically incorrect as you'll get, but smooth enough to be a hit with the ladies. He's basically who James Bond would be if he came from a less privileged background.

He was Daniel Craig, before Daniel Craig, was Daniel Craig. :pac:

There was definitely Columbo episodes made in the late eighties - maybe even the early nineties.

I think the first episode of Columbo was broadcast in 1970, but pretty sure it was made in 1968.

• Advertisement

There was definitely Columbo episodes made in the late eighties - maybe even the early nineties.

I think the first episode of Columbo was broadcast in 1970, but pretty sure it was made in 1968.

Columbo was a predominently 70's series where it had it's greatest viewership, won most awards and had its heyday. Pilot episodes were broadcast in 1968- and yes, it came back in later 80's and beyond for a number of "TV specials". But the majority of the series and bulk of episodes were all 1970s'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Doesn't need a gun to figure out who done it

Technically doesn't need a gun to figure out who done it

security.png

And Columbo has let too many suspects kill again :(

2nd place goes to lieutenant Columbo.

Columbo, he was a great detective and unassuming; maybe not as intelligent as the villains but he was a hell of a lot smarter. He always liked the perp early on and could lull them into a false sense of security, remain 2-3 moves ahead and eventually catch them because he missed nothing.

He read all the books and he was a true professional. The suspect only had 1 attempt at the crime and Columbo; well he'd seen 100s of crimescenes and did the investigations; so if he liked a suspect for something it was all over only they didn't know it yet. Even if he had no concrete evidence he could figure out a way through deviousness and trickery and count on the confidence/hubris or unawareness of the villain and catch them off guard and game over.

WINNER

William Andrew Philip Bodie

When it comes to being a kickass crimefighter it has to go to 3-7 of the CI5.
    His kickass credentials in TV shows are unparalleled. He was so cool, like a young Paul Newman or Mickey Rourke but in Brit TV land.

He didn't hesitate - not for a second; saved his mate Doyle as often if not more than vice versa. He was proper hardcore and a hothead but even so he could compartmentalize that and be ice cool under pressure. While the show might have been farfetched and slightly comical, nowhere near as gritty as say for example a couple of earlier shows like The Sweeney or Kojak there is no doubt that Bodie as a character was extremely probable.

There is no doubt about it - you would not want Bodie after you :pac:
    He was a James Bond type - rarely phased, cool, pretty as a mofo and a hardcore effin savage to boot. All his fightscenes, carchases and shootouts, as well as his mate Doyle's all looked realistic. I think they made the show what it was and I as a viewer believed what I saw from an action point of view.

Can't ask for much more than that from a "Kick Ass Crime Fighting Star" and that is why WILLIAM BODIE deserves to win :):):):):)

2nd place goes to lieutenant Columbo.

Columbo, he was a great detective and unassuming; maybe not as intelligent as the villains but he was a hell of a lot smarter. He always liked the perp early on and could lull them into a false sense of security, remain 2-3 moves ahead and eventually catch them because he missed nothing.

He read all the books and he was a true professional. The suspect only had 1 attempt at the crime and Columbo; well he'd seen 100s of crimescenes and did the investigations; so if he liked a suspect for something it was all over only they didn't know it yet. Even if he had no concrete evidence he could figure out a way through deviousness and trickery and count on the confidence/hubris or unawareness of the villain and catch them off guard and game over.

WINNER

William Andrew Philip Bodie

When it comes to being a kickass crimefighter it has to go to 3-7 of the CI5.
    His kickass credentials in TV shows are unparalleled. He was so cool, like a young Paul Newman or Mickey Rourke but in Brit TV land.

He didn't hesitate - not for a second; saved his mate Doyle as often if not more than vice versa. He was proper hardcore and a hothead but even so he could compartmentalize that and be ice cool under pressure. While the show might have been farfetched and slightly comical, nowhere near as gritty as say for example a couple of earlier shows like The Sweeney or Kojak there is no doubt that Bodie as a character was extremely probable.

There is no doubt about it - you would not want Bodie after you :pac:
    He was a James Bond type - rarely phased, cool, pretty as a mofo and a hardcore effin savage to boot. All his fightscenes, carchases and shootouts, as well as his mate Doyle's all looked realistic. I think they made the show what it was and I as a viewer believed what I saw from an action point of view.

Can't ask for much more than that from a "Kick Ass Crime Fighting Star" and that is why WILLIAM BODIE deserves to win :):):):):)

*weeps*

its so lovely :D

*weeps*

its so lovely :D

:D:D:D

Thanks, glad you liked it :pac: :pac:

Us action/pretty boy- yet hardcore and rugged action character fans can appreciate proper badasses in a way fans of shows like supernatural (or whatever it's called) can't comprehend. That Dean bloke would leg it if Bodie was after him - he'd probably have some excuse like he's in a hurry for an Estee Lauder commercial.

And proper old school detectives like Lieutenant Columbo too. None of this made up fantasy/cgi malarkey :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That description reminded me of something gritty

David Callan, Callan

That description reminded me of something gritty

David Callan, Callan

I think I saw that recently; last couple of months or so. Was a film I think with Edward Woodward? I don't remember much of it other than Callan was pretty clinical too.

At the height of his powers then - round about the same time as 'The Wicker Man'.

I think I saw that recently; last couple of months or so. Was a film I think with Edward Woodward? I don't remember much of it other than Callan was pretty clinical too.

At the height of his powers then - round about the same time as 'The Wicker Man'.
    The film was wishy washy compared to the series ;)

Very. Very cynical.

The film was wishy washy compared to the series ;)

Very. Very cynical.

Thanks Capt'n. Sounds like one to check out.

Never seen or heard of the series.... I'll have a lookout for it.... Maybe it's on Netflix or something, which I don't have.

• Advertisement

Probably the worst climax ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Columbo.

A legend and never heard of the other two.

In joint second place runner up with 3 votes each is

Lieutenant Columbo

and

Dean Winchester

In first place, winner with 4 votes is

William Bodie

Thanks to everyone for taking part, would have liked a few more votes in but hope ye enjoyed

^^^^^^^

Thanks Liz.

Good comp and my main nom won :pac:

An unexpected, but rightful result :D

Ta for going to the trouble :)

Great to see Bodie has stood the test of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Thanks JP Liz. I've never watched The Professionals.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Thanks JP Liz. I've never watched The Professionals.

I've never seen either, it might get a film remake or series reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Great to see Bodie has stood the test of time

Its on ITV 4 in the mornings during the weekdays. Great to have in the back ground

Any interest in a one hit wonder one season tv series tournament or would Firefly just fly through as the end winner :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Any interest in a one hit wonder one season tv series tournament or would Firefly just fly through as the end winner :p

The greatest one season show is not Firefly... Great as Firefly is, it doesn't come close to Freaks and Geeks!

giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Just the idea of this has inspired me to check out some one season wonders I may have dismissed on account of them being prematurely cancelled, and have started with Selfie, which despite the crap name is actually very endearing and entertaining... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3549044/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Just the idea of this has inspired me to check out some one season wonders I may have dismissed on account of them being prematurely cancelled, and have started with Selfie, which despite the crap name is actually very endearing and entertaining... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3549044/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I really enjoyed that show, the leads had great chemistry and Karen's comic timing was spot on

I might run this so we can discover new or rediscover good one season shows

Advertisement