Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

As we approach the end of august, how would everyone rate Sumner of 2019. From a dublin perspective I would probably give it a 6.5 or maybe 7. Last summer was probably a 9. June was a write off this summer but July was very warm and august has been a mixed bag though it is finishing strong. I would probably verge closer to 7 as it's been pretty warm since end of june with majority of days over 20 degrees.

Well short of the summer of 2018 though which was phenomenal
    4/10, June poor, July decent but not amazing, August okay. June is really dragging the score down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think 5/10 is a fair rating for my locality of Dublin this summer and my preferred weather.

June was so bad (2/10) and one of the worst summer months I have experienced, not exceptionally wet but wet nevertheless and pretty chilly. It was also generally very dull but some sunnier days saved it from being quite a dull month statistically wise and that's why it's not a 1.

July was alright (6/10) with a lot of warm days but not all that sunny which was disappointing to me.

August (5/10) a great first week with plentiful sunshine and pleasantly warm temperatures, mediocre middle period with some really rubbish days especially 9th, 20th and 21st, disappointing so far for this spell. One of the better Augusts I've seen but is that saying much?

Overall, a summer I'd rather forget than remember to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As we approach the end of august, how would everyone rate Sumner of 2019. From a dublin perspective I would probably give it a 6.5 or maybe 7. Last summer was probably a 9. June was a write off this summer but July was very warm and august has been a mixed bag though it is finishing strong. I would probably verge closer to 7 as it's been pretty warm since end of june with majority of days over 20 degrees.

Well short of the summer of 2018 though which was phenomenal

By Irish standards last summer would have to be close to a 10/10, especially if you include take it as May-July and exclude August. First time since 1995 we had proper Mediterranean weather for weeks at a time.

Here in Donegal for this summer I'd go with a 3/10, June was cold and grey with frequent rain and drizzle. July a mixed bag, plenty of crap days with cloud almost every day but a couple of warmer and drier weeks. August has been a washout as usual though relatively warm and some nice evenings

My overall memory of this summer will be the lack of sunshine. We haven't even had one single clear sunny day all summer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

5/10 for North Dublin

June and August were very poor. July was at least warm but it was largely overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Artane2002 wrote: »
    4/10, June poor, July decent but not amazing, August okay. June is really dragging the score down though.

4/10 in dublin!!?? Crikey you have high standards!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful sunshine here now after a cloudy start and hot sun. Loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

July was very good in fairness, between 20-25 degrees every day and quite sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

7/10 for me , very pleased once we can get out and about and enjoy it once its dry . Plenty of dry days some nice sunshine and oodles of strawberries . I was happy with it in south Dublin this year

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

very stubborn cloud in Dublin today!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is very disappointing, wall to wall cloud and not even a break in the cloud to let the sun through.

As for this summer.

June: Cold, wet, cloudy, murky, rubbish,many atrocious days. We had warmer days in February and struggled to get above 14C for the first 20 days of the month with only the final 3 days of June finally reaching 20C. 1/10

July: Decent temperatures, low 20's most days. Nice sunny spells, very little rain. 7/10.

August: Great first week with low 20s and plenty of sunshine. Poor 2nd and 3rd week with the odd decent day but mostly cool and unsettled and lots of rainfall. Final week is a bit of a letdown too, high pressure moved too far east putting curtains on high temperatures and gin blue skies. Final few days of August will be relatively cool and unsettled. 5/10

Overall: One of the worst starts to summer I can ever remember since the late 1970s, I thought June 2019 was worse than June 2012. I never want to experience a June as bad as this for a long time to come. July was decent we missed out on all the heat and records been broken that effected every other European country. August a very mixed bag, the first week was the highlight of the month.

High rainfall totals in June and August makes this a fairly wet summer. A complete lack of any real heat as Ireland failed to tap into proper heat, 24C is the highest temperature recorded this year at Dunsany, a very poor temperature high for the summer. Overall this evens out to be a very average summer with no real highlights or memorable hot days so summer finishes on a 5/10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    completely cloudy here in Meath, hopefully the sun will shine later.

Sun is still shining here, was cloudy for about an hour but its clearing away now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

4/10 in dublin!!?? Crikey you have high standards!!!

I'm using a different (confusing!) system to what others here seem to be using.

Technically it's 4.333 so I guess I'll give it a 4.5! Breaking it down individually, June gets a 1, July a 7 and August a 5 so far, maybe I'll bump it up to a six depending on how the rest of the month pans out.

5 is ok, 10 exceptionally good and 0 is exceptionally poor so actually 4.5 would be a nearly ok summer. This system is basically what I'd use to judge the weather in any country.

In terms of an average Irish summer, I guess I'd give it a 5.5, 7 would be what I'd call a decent Irish summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sun is still shining here, was cloudy for about an hour but its clearing away now

still completely cloudy here at Dunshaughlin, sun disappeared at 4pm yesterday and haven't seen any since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Another dirty grey day in Galway. Haven't seen sun in weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

England have had an amazing summer. Another scorcer there today 26 odd degrees

Andrew00 wrote: »
    England have had an amazing summer. Another scorcer there today 26 odd degrees

The difference between their summer and ours this year is almost chalk and cheese. We got really unlucky with the Atlantic clinging on to our coastline preventing any real heat or proper sunshine this summer. They've had plenty of heat records broken in various parts of mainland UK throughout this summer and are on track to break their August bank holiday heat records today and tomorrow. It's currently 32C across the SE of England and high 20's through much of England, eastern Wales and southern Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The difference between their summer and ours this year is almost chalk and cheese. We got really unlucky with the Atlantic clinging on to our coastline preventing any real heat or proper sunshine this summer. They've had plenty of heat records broken in various parts of mainland UK throughout this summer and are on track to break their August bank holiday heat records today and tomorrow.
    Already have for the whole weekend, 31.5c previous record in 2001 and 33c at Heathrow and Northolt.

Think one thing I'll remember about this summer and on here is that it was very polarising. We all have different opinions on each summer but I don't think I recall such a summer with very varied opinions. Also, the extreme southerly plumes that Europe has had which Ireland got a glimpse of on 27 June in terms of 850hPa temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 21C now in Castlebar, still quite overcast but the sun is poking through every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would have to give the summer in Castlebar a 4/10 as June was on average 3.0C colder than June last year and was wetter as well, July was also wetter than last year and the temperature was quite similar, August has also had a similar temperature and was drier than last year, but we did have nearly 200mm last August.

The lack of sunshine has been another factor, I don't remember as dull a summer in quite sometime, it was not all bad though as you could still get out and do stuff for most of July, but our Summer really ended on the 2nd of August and we have had close to 160mm of rain since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'd give the summer in Dublin a 4 or at a push 5. Pretty poor overall

• Advertisement

still completely cloudy here at Dunshaughlin, sun disappeared at 4pm yesterday and haven't seen any since.

Clouded over here now to, i think its to clear again around 6'ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I'd give this summer an 8
    Plenty sunshine
    Just enough rain to keep the grass going,but a bit more would have helped
    Last year,I'd give a 6 ,losing points for too much sun and not enough life giving rain
    Theres a happy medium and this summer hit that spot in my local area regardless of the colder interlude very early in play but at least that had some sun

Today like yesterday and Friday has been lovely with a high of 23c in Arklow
    Still sunny as I type

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was out pottering in the garden then just sitting, soaking up hot sun for a couple of hours.... wondering now re a shower as else will need to water the garden!

This summer far better than last year, frankly. No complaints at all and some lovely days

west mayo offshore ,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd give the summer in Dublin a 4 or at a push 5. Pretty poor overall

Gosh we all have such different expectations ! I would give Dublin a 7 ! Then again I know its not the Med and just take each good dry day and embrace it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Turning into a scorcher in Dublin this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nicest weekend of the year in Cork anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's mostly sunny here now that the cloud's gone. It's 20.3C. I'd say the summer's probably a 7, let down by June and the middle of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

lovely day in west cork / cork city today. Nearly all blue sky with some clouds about and currently around 20/21 degrees. First in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Lovely afternoon in Salthill today...Blackrock was busy, great heat in the sun with just a few clouds in the sky. Conditions remained the same for our journey back home to north Clare. Looks like a super evening too.......happy days!

• Advertisement

Clouded over here now to, i think its to clear again around 6'ish

Cloud clearing, sun is starting to appear again

Advertisement