Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Lower Decks (animated series)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I hated this. Initially. Watched the first episode, terrible, and took me a while to bother with the rest, and I did so reluctantly. Now that I've finished it, I find its the better of the new treks. I'm very surprised by this realisation. Looking forward to season 2 now.

Nate

Me too. Exactly. What a turnaround in one season. It almost seems like it was done deliberately, the character arc etc

They took a big risk though. I very nearly dropped the show after episode 2

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ixoy wrote: »
    I've watched four episodes - Does Mariner get any less bloody annoying? Her hyperactivity and "always right" approach makes her like a manic version of Burnham. She's almost ruining the show for us.
    So the next episode the turnaround happened and the show suddenly got a hell of a lot better. By the end, it's my favourite of the new Trek series. The fact Mariner was deliberately annoying initially but developed and addressed this - going so far as to dedicate a whole episode to it - shows that this show has a far better grasp of character growth than 'Picard' or 'Disco'.
    It really felt like they had the spirit of Trek too and its ideals and yet managed to be funny about it.
    Contender for one of the best turn arounds within a season that I've seen of any show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

*Patiently awaiting Justin Credibles input......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

For anyone who held off on Lower Decks until there was more...legitimate...means to watch it, it's coming out on Amazon Prime in January! https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-lower-decks-transports-to-amazon-prime-in-multiple-international-territories

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

For anyone who held off on Lower Decks until there was more...legitimate...means to watch it, it's coming out on Amazon Prime in January! https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-lower-decks-transports-to-amazon-prime-in-multiple-international-territories

Excellent can't wait to watch it, I've heard great things. :pac:

Joking aside I'll wait to give it a rewatch to help along the ratings - assuming Amazon Prime is still a thing in Ireland after 01012021.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For these kind of shows, there really should be a way to mark series' point where they "get good". Cos persisting with something that starts so poorly as Lower Decks did can be a big ask.

pixelburp wrote: »
    For these kind of shows, there really should be a way to mark series' point where they "get good". Cos persisting with something that starts so poorly as Lower Decks did can be a big ask.

It gives you false hope too. In that Discovery or Picard will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Best news all day.

All power to badgey!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Rawr

Best news all day.

All power to badgey!!

You fool! Giving power to Badgey will doom us all! :P

I’m actually looking forward to more. Season 1 was the most fun I’ve had with Trek in a very long time. They provided a very welcome respite from the disappointment that was Picard, and the contious piss-take that is Discovery.

However, given that Secret Hideout are involved at some level, I can’t eliminate the possibility of them somehow ruining it in Season 2.

I really hope not, because I fear this is our last shot of getting *any* decent Trek in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Rawr wrote: »
    However, given that Secret Hideout are involved at some level, I can’t eliminate the possibility of them somehow ruining it in Season 2.
    I can imagine Kurtzman thought it would fail so had no interest in it but now that it's the most liked of the current series he'll be all over it with mystery boxes and ninjas everywhere in season two.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    I can imagine Kurtzman thought it would fail so had no interest in it but now that it's the most liked of the current series he'll be all over it with mystery boxes and ninjas everywhere in season two.

This is my real worry.

Instead of learning why this is being so well received (especially after a really rough start off) he will want to take control.
    He'll pack it full of the same nonsense destroying the other shows

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Equally: the reverse could be true. The success of Lower Decks amongst fans a wake-up call that the live-action stuff needs to step things up. As popular and lauded as many cartoons are these days, it's still often seen as a "lesser" media, so might be sticking in Disco/Picard's craw a little that LD is such a hit with "Fans".

pixelburp wrote: »
    Equally: the reverse could be true. The success of Lower Decks amongst fans a wake-up call that the live-action stuff needs to step things up. As popular and lauded as many cartoons are these days, it's still often seen as a "lesser" media, so might be sticking in Disco/Picard's craw a little that LD is such a hit with "Fans".

I can not see Kurtzman being that aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Can someone give him the Roddenberry treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Kurtzman having watched LD: ..Hmm...Needs more Michael Burnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ixoy wrote: »
    So the next episode the turnaround happened and the show suddenly got a hell of a lot better. By the end, it's my favourite of the new Trek series. The fact Mariner was deliberately annoying initially but developed and addressed this - going so far as to dedicate a whole episode to it - shows that this show has a far better grasp of character growth than 'Picard' or 'Disco'.
    It really felt like they had the spirit of Trek too and its ideals and yet managed to be funny about it.
    Contender for one of the best turn arounds within a season that I've seen of any show.

Yeah, I couldn't have taken much more of early Mariner's annoying insubordination but did enjoy the show. Was quite surprising at times with the death toll. Plus, let's see a bit more of Riker. Don't over-use him. A cameo or 2 each season. (Last animated thing I heard Frakes do was Disney's Gargoyles in the 90's - Which basically used all TNG actors at some stage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Just binged it all in a day with a few beers. It's great. Totally gets the trek spirit, some genuinely funny beats and best of all, no crying!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Just binged it all in a day with a few beers. It's great. Totally gets the trek spirit, some genuinely funny beats and best of all, no crying!

EhlvFbgVoAAvkTi.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Happy Lower Decks on Amazon Prime day everyone! Will be rewatching over the weekend to make sure I'm counted in Amazon's viewer numbers.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Watched the first 2 and a bit. Think I'm enjoying it more on the second viewing :). Now that I know the characters a bit better and in particular Mariner's backstory, makes it a lot less grating.

Good show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Any idea when it will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A short period of C 19 self isolation (negative thankfully) gave me the opportunity to binge the lot.
    To quote Kirk's dying words. "That was fun."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I started watching this on Prime when it became available, I got to episode 6 only to find episodes 7,8,9 were unavailable. Initially thought maybe they were releasing it on blocks of episodes, but nope can't be that as the Final episode is available. I looked up the issue online and the common answer is its a copyrights issue, but how can they buy the rights to a show that doesn't include that sort of stuff, it certainly never an issue with netflix .

Anybody else had similar issues watching it on Prime ?

Really enjoying it, I thought Trek to Po faced to be so self referential and it wouldn't work , but it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's weird, I watched episode 7 on Prime yesterday :confused:

Just double checked and I can still see all episodes. Amazon's user interface can be a bit crocked sometimes, I accidentally watched the first 3 episodes of the Expanse season 5 in reverse order because of the way they presented the episode list to me.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

It's all there for me (Prime de), is it possible by accident that you skipped a few episodes ahead and now it's starting on the final episode (I have done this before on Primes awful, awful interface)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

It's all there for me (Prime de), is it possible by accident that you skipped a few episodes ahead and now it's starting on the final episode (I have done this before on Primes awful, awful interface)?

No definitely watched them in order, had the same deal with Vikings random episodes showing up as unavailable, really fecking annoying. If it gets any worse I'll end up cancelling prime and going back to using other methods of procurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

So I see two options one Roi prime, one with all episodes, the other with missing episodes.

This is a common issue on prime, sometimes it’s just a case of searching again as things can be listed multiple times for some reason

No definitely watched them in order, had the same deal with Vikings random episodes showing up as unavailable, really fecking annoying. If it gets any worse I'll end up cancelling prime and going back to using other methods of procurement.

I uses to get that all the time using the app or going to prime through amazon.ie, but when using primevideo.com had no issues

I uses to get that all the time using the app or going to prime through amazon.ie, but when using primevideo.com had no issues

Just Prime video doing what it does...there's a reason I source some of the Amazon stuff I have access to through Prime elsewhere at times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I only realised it’s on Prime. So i watched episode 9 again, ‘Crisis Point’ the one with the holodeck movie. I can safely say it’s the best Trek episode produced since Deep Space Nine.

Advertisement