Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Onto Achill Island, really warm. No waves on the beach almost lake like! Blue skies aswell every direction bar the south and they seem to be not moving and just staying still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pauldry

25c in Sligo now. Dont know if we will beat the 26.8c but will be close :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another lovely day, I could get used to this.

Nice temperature too, enough to enjoy but not that heat which tires you out. Can actually function and do stuff.

If only it was like this all the time.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭compsys

After a dull and cloudy start it's hazy sunshine and temps around 20º just by the coast in Dun Laoghaire in Dublin.

It feels nice but it's actually just normal summer weather for Dublin at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭endainoz

km79 wrote: »
    All we need now is farmers praying for rain Cos the ground is parched and the cycle will be complete once again
    One week of nice weather and people wishing it away again

No fear of that after the mid week thunderstorms, ground is far from parched, and nobody is "wishing it away". The drought like conditions happened early on in the summer because it didn't rain for nearly three months, and once again the west is getting the best of the weather, makes a nice change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

endainoz wrote: »
    No fear of that after the mid week thunderstorms, ground is far from parched, and nobody is "wishing it away". The drought like conditions happened early on in the summer because it didn't rain for nearly three months, and once again the west is getting the best of the weather, makes a nice change.

Certainly no drought here in the east, ground is only starting to get less mucky after the July deluges. The warm spell never really got going at any stage in Dublin and surrounding counties with mostly a cloudy and misty week with temperatures close to average with the exception of maybe Wednesday. The last time we had 2 sunny days in a row was June the 2nd.

I am still trying to figure out how this spell has gone so pear shaped for the Dublin area and it's commuter belt. Hopefully we will get better luck next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Finner 25 degrees at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Gonzo wrote: »
    Certainly no drought here in the east, ground is only starting to get less mucky after the July deluges. The warm spell never really got going at any stage in Dublin and surrounding counties with mostly a cloudy and misty week with temperatures close to average with the exception of maybe Wednesday. The last time we had 2 sunny days in a row was June the 2nd.

I am still trying to figure out how this spell has gone so pear shaped for the Dublin area and it's commuter belt. Hopefully we will get better luck next summer.

Surely with the Eastery quadrant in play the East coast was never expecting much from this spell??!

Been lovely in the West - today was the first fully overcast day but still dry and very warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The cloud began to lift by late afternoon, so very few clouds in the sky this evening. It's a pity we'll back to normal Atlantic conditions soon enough. Another day trip somewhere is in order before Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Ireland is located in the most geographically disadvantaged region on the entire planet regarding climate. The near constant blandness of our weather is almost embarrassing.

Very true. In some ways we are fortunate we don't get extremes, but if you are a weather enthusiast, who likes a bit of action, it is frustrating that we rarely get severe thunderstorms or epic snow events very often.Though, I suppose when they do come along we appreciate them even more as a consequence. I recall DongealStorm mentioned he kind of got complacent about thunderstorms while in Asia because they were a regular occurrence. Would you get bored of severe Wind storms if we were guaranteed them every December and January?

• Advertisement

Tried a few times to hit 26c on home thermometer but got 25.6c Markree got 25c twice
    Finner 25c once

Maybe 25.1c yesterday beaten by Markree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Turned into a lovely evening in Kildare. High of 21.2°c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

highdef wrote: »
    Still dull and overcast in North Kildare but hoping the clearance is imminent as per further south in the county.

Too late for my planned lunchtime sunbathing session though :mad:

Yep. North Kildare was warm and humid but v little sunshine

Driving into Galway it became dull and slate grey skies since along with a bit of mist at some time. Dry at the moment though but warm and humid here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cloud cleared here around 6pm, too little too late temperatures hovered around 16 to 18C for most of today and peaked at 19C as the sun poked out just after 6. It never really felt warm at any point today due to the misty conditions and low hanging cloud. Current temperature 16C.

Tomorrow is basically a repeat of today.

Warmest across the west, North-west and midlands with temperatures in the low 20's there, perhaps 23 or 24C in a few places but 18 to 22C more generally. Cooler across the south and east with temperatures in the Dublin and surrounding areas once again struggling to make it much past 17 or 18C tomorrow with another mostly cloudy day and a cool breeze in from the Irish sea.

A mostly dry day tomorrow but showers across the south will spread northwards towards evening with showers across many eastern areas tomorrow night. Showers may be slightly thundery across the south tomorrow but the risk of thunder is very low risk at this stage.

Another mild day on Sunday then cooler conditions spreading across the country from Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,229 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's currently 21.0°c with a humidity of 92%. West Clare.

Christ. I can't remember such a warm night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Max for today

Markree in Sligo 25.2 degrees
    Oak park in Carlow 24.9
    Newport 23.6
    Shannon 23
    Mount Dillon 22.6
    Mace head 22.3

Wow my back garden was the warmest place in Ireland at 25.6c:cool:

You left out Finner 24.9c

In fact after tomorrow it will have been over 20c in Finner 10 days in a row. Not bad going for one of the coldest wettest stations in July

Max of 24.5°c here in West Clare today, dewpoint maxed out at 21°c.

Currently 20.3°c with 91% humidity. The bedroom is a nice toasty 26°c. Think I might sleep outside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another stunning day today, this has quickly gone from what was forecast to be a brief respite from the atlantic dross last weekend to the best spell of August weather in years. Went for a hike earlier and was drenched afterwards, really humid and sticky heat. Very murky as well and driving home I drove through one random patch of dense fog with blue skies all around. Guessing there was a stream or something in the area but just shows how high the humidity was.

Very true. In some ways we are fortunate we don't get extremes, but if you are a weather enthusiast, who likes a bit of action, it is frustrating that we rarely get severe thunderstorms or epic snow events very often.Though, I suppose when they do come along we appreciate them even more as a consequence. I recall DongealStorm mentioned he kind of got complacent about thunderstorms while in Asia because they were a regular occurrence. Would you get bored of severe Wind storms if we were guaranteed them every December and January?

Yep, when you're guaranteed a thunderstorm almost every day and one that would go down in Irish folklore every couple of weeks I found even the spectacular ones eventually lose their novelty factor.

The problem I have with our climate though is we so rarely get anything of interest that it just wears you down as a weather enthusiast, we can go an entire year where the most talked about weather event is an unusually breezy day in January!

There's definitely a middle ground between something losing its magic for being too frequent and being so rare that you start losing interest in it as a hobby. I think maybe the near continent is a sweet spot, bland and forgettable much of the year but always at a reliable risk of big thunderstorms/heatwaves/snow etc if things are just right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cloud cleared here around 6pm, too little too late temperatures hovered around 16 to 18C for most of today and peaked at 19C as the sun poked out just after 6. It never really felt warm at any point today due to the misty conditions and low hanging cloud. Current temperature 16C.

Tomorrow is basically a repeat of today.

I really feel sorry for yea Meath lads. Like the west Waterford lads, yea miss out on everything Irish weather has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

94-99% humidity reported in most met eireann stations.
    Whats the story with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sweet_trip wrote: »
    94-99% humidity reported in most met eireann stations.
    Whats the story with that?

There's nothing unusual about that. It's a relatively moist airmass now, with dewpoints around mid-teens. With relatively clear skies (or mainly high cloud) the air cools down and when it reaches the dewpoint the r.h. values tends towards 100%. Most stations are currently reporting mist and fog as a result.

High r.h. has no real meaning unless the temperature is known for context. We can get 100% at any time of the year, but how "humid" that feels depends on the temperature (or more importantly, the dewpoint).

523029.png

523030.png

523031.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It was a very wet night here in West Cork. HEavy rain and thunder and lightning, Lots of places badly flooded
    http://https://twitter.com/SouthernStarIRL/status/129453345962970317

Looks like I missed another big thunderstorm in West cork, sister was texting me about it. Plenty of lightning and bangs of thunder, heavy rain and lots of roads down west are once again impassable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Finally some nice sun here on NCD.

I hope it lasts!

first sunny day here in a whole week, real sun and not the very hazy type that only shines for a few seconds at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Grey and heavily overcast in Galway yet again. Even under the easterly flow, that would normally bring the best of the conditions here, we end up with just a repeat of the what we had during the westerly July.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Warm and hazy Doolin

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Grey and heavily overcast in Galway yet again. Even under the easterly flow, that would normally bring the best of the conditions here, we end up with just a repeat of the what we had during the westerly July.

had a whole week of that here in Meath without any break and it was most frustrating, yet the cloud would break up at night and reform by daybreak. It's back proper strength sun here for the first time since last Saturday. We did get a few glimses of sunshine earlier in the week but it was too late in the evening and it was very hazy/milky stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Been dull in the Deise bar the odd moment since Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Heading west to the in-laws today. The sun has been stone-splitting all week where they are. Until today. Of course. At 36, I feel like I should be used to our aggravating weather by now. Nope. Still pisses me off.

Slate grey skies in Galway today, humid aswell and around 21 degrees.

After the thunderstorm in West cork last night a lot of houses by our house down there are flooded around them, lots of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Feels very warm and humid in Dublin 5

• Advertisement

Feels very warm and humid in Dublin 5

Today is probably the first real day of summer we've had in well over a month. Last Saturday was lovely and sunny but it wasn't that warm, today has similar levels of sunshine but it is definitely warmer even with that stiff breeze. The few short lived bits of sun we had this week were after 6pm and wasn't much warmth left by then either. Definitely making the most of today's warm and sunny weather.

Light shower in west Clare, 21.2°c humidity 89%. Stubbornly overcast again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I detest this type of dull low grey cloud day with such oppressive humidity.

The worst of the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely day up north again, a thin veil of cloud today but the sun is still shining through and feeling nice and warm again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Lovely day up north again, a thin veil of cloud today but the sun is still shining through and feeling nice and warm again.

I envy you. Wet, dull and extremely humid the last few days in Wexfprd.Very little sunshine. Raining right now

• Advertisement

Today most likely looks like a one day wonder for the Dublin/Meath area with lovely sunshine and relatively warm temperatures. There will be more cloud and showers around tomorrow and temperatures will be back down into the teens again for many places tomorrow.

A big change for all of us from Wednesday with the Atlantic roaring back in and this time it looks like it will have it's game face on as the gates of Autumn swing open from midweek.

24°c in west clare now, overcast but some blue spots visible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few breaks in the cloud thankfully to let out the steam so to speak and helped dry up the air a bit. Had to put on the dehumidifier to try and dry up the house , not a puff of air .

With all the heat and damp and light wind condition's there has been an explosion in the fly and insect population, have a lot of trees around my house and they are full of them, the tree creepers and willow warblers are having a field day.

Clouded in again and 20.8C after getting up to 21.1C

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A grey slate of cloud all day in Castlebar, it did get over 23C but very humid out.

Today most likely looks like a one day wonder for the Dublin/Meath area with lovely sunshine and relatively warm temperatures. There will be more cloud and showers around tomorrow and temperatures will be back down into the teens again for many places tomorrow.

A big change for all of us from Wednesday with the Atlantic roaring back in and this time it looks like it will have it's game face on as the gates of Autumn swing open from midweek.

Wow, we're coming into autumn already.... this year has gone fast. Hopefully we'll get some nice weather in september

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

The sun in Dublin today has just been glorious.

I've made sure I'm topping up my Vitamin D here all day + barbecue time now.

Bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Another scorcher of a day in Donegal.

It's great getting the daily dose of Vit D and Sea. We are all in much better form and ready for bed at the end of the day.

I'll be sad when this weather changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is the screen at the RTÉ weather studio green or blue? Either way it didn't particularly react well with Jean Byrnes dress this evening.

Pouring rain in wexford now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Massive thunderstorm in Tipp/Limerick area. Red dots all over the radar.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement