Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Smacruairi wrote: »
    True, and I hate to deal in binaries, but is the opposite not 50/50 booking then? The only person I can think of who could suffer a few losses and still stay at the top was Angle, but that's because he was so gifted in terms of being legit, but also at going face to heel to face as required.

Even Angle was made look pretty bad that first year Cena had the title. He lost to him multiple times and was generally made to look insignificant iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wonder if you look at The Rock's personal wealth and that of all his different production companies an income streams is he worth more than the McMahon's.

As it stands right now I would have to say Vince has more. As Forbes states Vince has 1.8 billion. While the WWE is believed to be valued at 5.71 Billion. Which Vince owns 42% of so .... 2.4 billion is his.

The Rock is believed to have 320 million. His production company, Seven Bucks Productions which appears to be named after how much The Rock had after his Football Career (seriously! that's what it says :pac: ) is hard to get a value on as no one knows.

Now all that is guess work on everyones part. Only Vince, Rock and their accountants could actually tell you how much they have.

That said, give it a couple of years and the rock will surely surpass vince. If the XFL takes off he will be an instant multi-billionaire alone. Let alone any movies that he will get a percentage of profits, production company involved as you say etc.

... But Billions huh? Put's all us Joe Soaps to shame :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think if the rocks companies were worth a billion we would have a Instagram video of him promoting his tequila and telling his seven bucks story

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Has he had any failed business ventures that we've heard of? XFL doesn't count yet. And I know he's made questionable film choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Omackeral wrote: »
    It fits Jericho’s character perfectly. It’s all a very witty moniker. I’m convinced the man can get nearly anything over. A bloody pen click was getting massive pops from him. He’s one of the best ever at entertaining segments.

As the OSW boys said on one of their reviews. Nobody "gets" Pro Wrestling quite as good as Chris Jericho. He has always been gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ShagNastii wrote: »
    As the OSW boys said on one of their reviews. Nobody "gets" Pro Wrestling quite as good as Chris Jericho. He has always been gold.

He constantly reinvents himself and gets himself and others over consistently. No one else comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭briany

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And I know he's made questionable film choices.

His bank account ain't questioning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reigns should reinvent himself for when he returns

Can see him returning and winning the rumble

PTH2009 wrote: »

Like Cena, many have wanted a heel Roman Reigns for ages now, for mainly a change if anything. Difference is that Cena had more of a character to engage with fans.

Reigns could take a leaf outta Jerichos book and try something new. Is he capable? Who knows.

Will Vince be open to the idea? Probably not.

But one thing is for sure, Reigns is stale and has been for sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Like Cena, many have wanted a heel Roman Reigns for ages now, for mainly a change if anything. Difference is that Cena had more of a character to engage with fans.

Reigns could take a leaf outta Jerichos book and try something new. Is he capable? Who knows.

Will Vince be open to the idea? Probably not.

But one thing is for sure, Reigns is stale and has been for sometime.

If he came back as the Uso's did with the Uso penitentiary stuff and became an arsehole heel with new wrestling attire and music and just beat people up, doesn't even need to talk, then he might actually get over. Similar to how becky got over when she went heel. Hell I might even start cheering for him if he did that and I don't like him at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

PTH2009 wrote: »

If he returns for the rumble he won't be repackaged.

They need the recognition pop from his music.

(this is assuming there is a crowd which may not be the case)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Roman doing a Hogan - NWO turn on his return would be pretty cool. He could easily do the legitimate grievances angle against the WWE and/or the fans, as the leader of something similar to the new almost-terrorist faction

Roman doing a Hogan - NWO turn on his return would be pretty cool. He could easily do the legitimate grievances angle against the WWE and/or the fans, as the leader of something similar to the new almost-terrorist faction

he's the third man

Yeah they could something like that but who be involved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

But does Roman really need to win the Rumble on his eventual return?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,288 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looking forward to seeing Morrison vs Ziggler fight and oversell and overbump in RAW Underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just rewatched Austin vs Bret hart from mania 13 and my god does that match hold up 23 years after the fact. Along with the steamboat vs flair trilogy in 1989, and the macho man vs DDP feud in WCW this is on my list of favourite wrestling matches ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

If he returns for the rumble he won't be repackaged.

They need the recognition pop from his music.

(this is assuming there is a crowd which may not be the case)

He needs new music though. You hear the "duh nah duh nah" and you instantly want to boo even if you like the guy. It's like Angles "you suck".

So who was the worst WWE/WWF world champion of all time? :p
    Well I just read that according to Jim Cornette the companies worst year was 1995 and Vince lost 6 million that year.

None other than Diesel was champ for nearly all of that year with Bret Hart taking the title away from him at Survivor Series. So yeah... Nash, you're the worst champion of all time :pac:

So who was the worst WWE/WWF world champion of all time? :p
    Well I just read that according to Jim Cornette the companies worst year was 1995 and Vince lost 6 million that year.

None other than Diesel was champ for nearly all of that year with Bret Hart taking the title away from him at Survivor Series. So yeah... Nash, you're the worst champion of all time :pac:

in that sense does that make Drew the greatest champion of all time with the record profits in Q2

It depends how you measure it?

Live attendance figures,

Merch sales?

Company yearly earnings?

Ppv buys, network subs?

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    It depends how you measure it?

Live attendance figures,

Merch sales?

Company yearly earnings?

Ppv buys, network subs?

i actually think its a hard thing to measure as each era is different has its own difficulties in how you judge

sky88 wrote: »
    i actually think its a hard thing to measure as each era is different has its own difficulties in how you judge

Surely for longevity, sales, cultural impact etc it's either Austin or Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,288 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you put longevity then Hogan wins hands down Austin burned bright give or take 3 years Hogan shined for two decades and had a bigger cultural impact as well I would say.

If you asked the average person on the street now who is Steve Austin and who is Hulk Hogan I would say 99% would have heard of Hogan over Austin.

The Rock would be well known and by non wrestling fans (as the rock)

John Cena and Batista are becoming big names in Hollywood. You'd almost forgot how popular Cena was in the wrestling world a couple of years ago

Just watched Keith Lee Vs Adam Cole at the great american bash.

I am not trying to come off as smart (you know smart mark) I am not trying to come off as some know it all. But they hit every classic beat in a title match and or main event.

To the point I could predict a comeback, a hope, a falsie and even the finish. Not saying 100% but vast majority of the beats. Again I do not say this as some 'know it all' but fuc*ing hell ... This ****e is insane. People watch this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If you asked the average person on the street now who is Steve Austin and who is Hulk Hogan I would say 99% would have heard of Hogan over Austin.

This reminded me of what an older cousin thought when I was first getting into wrestling

She watched Hogan Knows Best on MTV, that was about as much as she knew about wrestling. One time she asked me my favourite wrestler, my answer being Triple H at that time, and she says "oh so Hogan", and I'm like "no?.....Triple H"

Long story short she thought Triple H stood for Hollywood Hulk Hogan and she picked that up at some stage through Hogan Knows Best, was a weird argument to be having

This reminded me of what an older cousin thought when I was first getting into wrestling

She watched Hogan Knows Best on MTV, that was about as much as she knew about wrestling. One time she asked me my favourite wrestler, my answer being Triple H at that time, and she says "oh so Hogan", and I'm like "no?.....Triple H"

Long story short she thought Triple H stood for Hollywood Hulk Hogan and she picked that up at some stage through Hogan Knows Best, was a weird argument to be having

Would you Brooke, though!?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Justin Roberts was in his WWE run and now his AEW run the absolute worst ring announcer in wrestling. That stupid way he used to say John cena was and is annoying. He makes Lilian Garcia look like the second coming of the fink and I may be in the minority on this but I think Lilian got better.

I don't know how the people in power at AEW can listen to dasha ring announce and Justin Roberts do it and somehow think he's better. As far as I know none of the top brass in AEW have had hearing issues in their lives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Justin Roberts was in his WWE run and now his AEW run the absolute worst ring announcer in wrestling. That stupid way he used to say John cena was and is annoying. He makes Lilian Garcia look like the second coming of the fink and I may be in the minority on this but I think Lilian got better.

I don't know how the people in power at AEW can listen to dasha ring announce and Justin Roberts do it and somehow think he's better. As far as I know none of the top brass in AEW have had hearing issues in their lives.

Having had to listen to Josh Matthews and Michael Cole commentate for years and years I've come to the conclusion that yes, most top brass in wrestling do have hearing issues

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

even that week Brandi did the announcing in AEW honestly cant remeber when that was think march or something the gulf in class between him and brandi was clear to see hes horrible

Advertisement