Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

sky88 wrote: »
    These pat on the back tweets about ratings the last while are just as cringe as all the self congratulations wwe like to give themselves

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1286768978619179009?s=20

This is the new cool in wrestling. Talking about how more people aged 18-49 watch your show than the other. Laughing at one show for having more viewers 50 and over.

Is it any wonder wrestling is dying on it's arse? Imagine how utterly dorky it looks to an outsider or lapsed fans?

Edit: Exhibit A...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDC5QdhD-VX/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Jericho getting exactly the reaction he wanted I see :D The jokes on you if you're giving out about the Demo God!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It fits Jericho’s character perfectly. It’s all a very witty moniker. I’m convinced the man can get nearly anything over. A bloody pen click was getting massive pops from him. He’s one of the best ever at entertaining segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm assuming it's a play on demigod.
    Wonder what was on TNT after AEW. Could be the actual reason people turned over

• Advertisement

Was thinking with their focus more on out of the ring stuff and the need to fill time, I think WWE should use the 24/7 title more. Maybe a compilation of "matches" that took place throughout the week

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Murphy is morphing into Hawkins with that beard and being a sidekick.

Has Ryback had a match since leaving the WWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Has Ryback had a match since leaving the WWE?

He's had a few, nothing since Summer of 2018 that I can recall though.

I remember watching a triple threat between him, Christopher Daniels and Suicide. I also recall a random tag match where he teamed with Lawlor against Robbie Z and someone I can't remember. Pretty sure both are on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bit of a long post ... so bare with me.

So I recently heard that the top 3 actors from The Fast and Furious franchise (Diesel, Rock and Statham) have it in their contracts with the F&F movies that they must deal out equal damage. One man cannot be seen as kicking more ass. (source: whatculture)

Talk about protecting your image right? Which got me thinking about Triple H. Many years ago when a Smackdown vs Raw video game was coming out (IIRC 2007 edition) the developers / publishers (THQ) were told that Trips has to be shown in a 'dominant position' in any marketing material including screenshots and trailers. Ie, again, protecting his image. That for me was like the ultimate thing you could do :pac: because it's a video game. If you're gonna be doing that for video games you just known he was going crazy on WWE TV :pac:

So the question I pose.... Is this behavior actually right?
    For many years I would have said what an ego on Triple H and he was wrong. But I now think he is right. Look at all the main eventers over the years. They all kicked ass and took names. Wrestling just like hollywood (heck even life?) is all about politicing to get what you want. To protect whats yours and what not.

Opinions?

• Advertisement

An ego is needed to be a star. Otherwise you get faces of the company like this...

seth-rollins-d-generation-x-raw-reunion-1180097-1280x0.jpeg

Borrowing a comment from Reddit on that picture; "You think Rock or Austin in 98/99 would've stood there like a dick while stars from the 70s made them look like a dorky fan?"

No chance. I'm not really a fan of Moxley but I like how he had the balls to say "Ye're shíte, I'm leaving."

Loads are happy to be there and collect the cheques and I absolutely will not begrudge them that. I'd happily not wrestle much and collect a few hundred thousand a year too but don't expect me to be interested in someone like Ricochet who is tweeting how "It doesn't matter if I lose, I'm winning at life" a week before a title match against Lesnar.

J. Marston wrote: »
    An ego is needed to be a star. Otherwise you get faces of the company like this...

seth-rollins-d-generation-x-raw-reunion-1180097-1280x0.jpeg

Borrowing a comment from Reddit on that picture; "You think Rock or Austin in 98/99 would've stood there like a dick while stars from the 70s made them look like a dorky fan?"

No chance. I'm not really a fan of Moxley but I like how he had the balls to say "Ye're shíte, I'm leaving."

Loads are happy to be there and collect the cheques and I absolutely will not begrudge them that. I'd happily not wrestle much and collect a few hundred thousand a year too but don't expect me to be interested in someone like Ricochet who is tweeting how "It doesn't matter if I lose, I'm winning at life" a week before a title match against Lesnar.

A very interesting point (your whole reply but that especially)
    Me and my mate have a saying and that's "you would'nt see triple h doing that" which means the same.

I was watching an old Sunday Night Heat recently and Brian Christopher and Scotty Too Hotty were on it. Before the "Too Cool" era. So it was Edge VS Brian and Scotty VS in his WWE debut, Gangrel.
    In the Edge match... well I guess I first have to say a disclaimer I loved Too Cool :) I honestly think especially Brian Christopher was one of the most entertaining heels of all time. That cackle, that walk/dance. Brian should have had his name legally changed to "Brian Entertaining Christopher" (RIP too) - But both men played the role of a "bitch" to edge. Now, again, disclaimer both men were doing their job. Playing the hand they were dealt so nothing wrong on their part. But again You wouldn't see triple h do that . Obviously, neither men had no power to say otherwise but neither guy was never going to be pushed for a main event / upper mid card spot.

Which leads in to exactly what you said. You have to have an ego. You have to push boundaries within the job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But the problem for a long time was we had Trips protecting his image at the expense of others, the opposite of what the movie contracts are about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

But the problem for a long time was we had Trips protecting his image at the expense of others, the opposite of what the movie contracts are about

That is what the movie contracts are about too vin diesel not wanting the rock or anyone else overshadow him or seem tougher and vice versa The rock doing the same

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sky88 wrote: »
    That is what the movie contracts are about too vin diesel not wanting the rock or anyone else overshadow him and vice versa

But it's not at the expense of anyone, so we get 3 cool stars at the end of the movie, in WWE we get awesome Trips and a load of damaged former stars/ prospects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

But it's not at the expense of anyone, so we get 3 cool stars at the end of the movie, in WWE we get awesome Trips and a load of damaged former stars/ prospects

True, and I hate to deal in binaries, but is the opposite not 50/50 booking then? The only person I can think of who could suffer a few losses and still stay at the top was Angle, but that's because he was so gifted in terms of being legit, but also at going face to heel to face as required.

Was only when I saw a photo of her with Kairi a couple minutes ago that I was reminded Ember Moon exists.

Expense of the writers. At the expense of everyone else involved who wants to make a good movie.

Say you were writing a F&F sequel. You create this awesome movie. Each scene building up to the explosive finish. Problem is rock has an issue with the script. He's not kicking ass compared to Vin Diesel. Now suddenly you have to rewrite. Then Statham chimes in. You get the idea.

As for wrestling... Triple H was right to hold everyone back for years. Yes he went overboard. The product suffered. But from his aspect I finally see that he was right.

It is an issue and it's not helped by the existence of MMA. When you see someone like CM Punk who wasn't big go into MMA and see how not great of an athlete he was and think that he was pushed as world champion it really undermines the whole thing. Or Rousey coming in. Fair enough she wasn't a pro wrestler to start with but seeing how quick she was compared to the women who were said to have saved the division was really eye-opening.

I notice AEW is available via sources online quicker than NXT these days if one were going that route. Like this morning, I hypothetically would've had no problem finding AEW but had to look harder for NXT.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The amount of cinematic stuff they could of done with the likes of Taker, Kane, Mankind, Sting etc in 90s if it existed back then

Has a women's match ever used a low blow?

It's pretty common outside of the WWE.

L6xS.gif

Fits with ODB's character!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I used to like MLW when it came up on the wrestling channel. Steve Corino always stood out for me in it. I believe they had a war games match at one stage, blew my young mind

The wrestling channel was great to be fair, i discovered a while new world of wrestling. I was o my ever exposed to WCW and WWE. Heard legends of ECW.

Then TWC came and boom AJ Styles v Johnny Storm in FWA, Johnny Sotrm v Jody Fleisch, CZW, NJPW super J Cup, TNA ultimate x matches, Cage of Death matches, Scramble cage matches in ROH with Jack Evans doing 720 moondaults and a Big push for FWA British Uprising, I believe it had Joe V CM Punk on the card.

I was obsessed with wrestling back then, magazines, games , figures, anything i could get my hand on. But that has waned significantly since maybe I have just grown out of it.

Spoiled by big time production values and becoming desensitized by constant high spots nothing seems to impress me anymore, i believe the last thing to make me go holy **** was Darby Allins coffin drop on the apron and Cody V Goldust match was probably the last real wrestling match I have truly enjoyed and was captivated by (boneyard wasn't really a wrestling match)

As little as a few years ago i was still enthralled by the product, more specifically NXT, the likes of Zayn v Cesaro, Andrade v Gargano, Owens v anybody or American Alpha v The Revival, but now with so much of the product being available my interest is at an all time low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Another random thought.

I think lumis v Wyatt, with Lumis as a face stalking the fiend would work well and a great way to being him up

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sirsok wrote: »
    Another random thought.

I think lumis v Wyatt, with Lumis as a face stalking the fiend would work well and a great way to being him up

Hope Lumis stays down in the NXT for a while and they don't rush him up to the main roster. Can see him becoming a comedy acts (ohh look its the scary staring man with R Truth etc)

Was listening to whatculture and they done a ranking thing with Undertaker vs Kane matches. For me nothing beats mania 20 and the return of the deadman was so surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The amount of cinematic stuff they could of done with the likes of Taker, Kane, Mankind, Sting etc in 90s if it existed back then

Could the Boiler Room Brawl between Taker & Mankind be considered the first cinematic match in WWE/F? Or was Goldust/Piper in the Hollywood Backlot Brawl first?

• Advertisement

I wonder if you look at The Rock's personal wealth and that of all his different production companies an income streams is he worth more than the McMahon's.

Advertisement