Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Ernesto) Warning for High Intensity Rain Sat 18 PM / Sun 19 AM

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like it could go through very quickly. Just some drizzle / light rain here in Tralee.

itBJrqN.png

caPAYC7.gif

1tfHYOm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is it a bit ahead of schedule too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

km79 wrote: »
    Is it a bit ahead of schedule too?

I think so.

stPDbRU.jpg?1

tempresult_dnf6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Long loud deluge non stop since my last post just after 6 pm. Dare not look outside.. Must be sodden and a small lake out by the door .

West Mayo;offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dark wet evening here in Castlebar. However the Guinness and crack in the pub is good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

should the wind along the south coast have arrived by now or is that coming later? Has only slightly picked up but not a massive amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

Graces7 wrote: »
    Long loud deluge non stop since my last post just after 6 pm. Dare not look outside.. Must be sodden and a small lake out by the door .

West Mayo;offshore island

But why would you not dare not look outside? Sure you love when nature provides a watery bounty. I would have imagined you looking out in awe at the spectacle of the remnants of a tropical cyclone passing right over your home but without the dangers associated with a powerful storm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

screamer wrote: »
    I think Ophelia became extra tropical about 24 hours before it hit. Doesn't mean anything to me but I remember that Donnelly girl on the weather at pains to explain that it would not be a hurricane any longer but an extra tropical storm packing hurricane force gusts......

Does anyone know what category winds where in Orphelia when it hit the south coast, had it still been classified as a hurricane?

Looks like most of the rain gone through by around 04.00. Looks like no surprises.

PDpjkyl.png

07Xrm1K.png

JMI8mk7.png

rZmI7qi.png

Getting quite windy now here in Kerry. Just a bit of mist and light rain not even registering.

YXmhrwe.png

z0oc3zN.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

8.6mm of rain in Castlebar since 18.00, not a puff of breeze though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Does anyone know what category winds where in Orphelia when it hit the south coast, had it still been classified as a hurricane?

As far as I remember, gusts were up to around 96mph, which would have made it a Category 2 hurricane, but sustained winds were in the high end of tropical storm force in and around 70mph. The ten minute sustained wind speeds we use in Ireland were lower and would have put it in the tropical storm category, but since Atlantic tropical cyclones are measured using the US system by the NHC, only one-minute sustained winds over 75mph are required for hurricane status. Our one-minute sustained winds were close to 85mph, so by the NHC's standards, Ophelia was at Category One Hurricane strength as an extratropical cyclone, hence justifying forecasters calling it an "extratropical hurricane" as opposed to simply an extratropical storm.

still deluging here and no wind. .... West Mayo offshore island. nearly dark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

alright the wind has now suddenly picked up and its starting to mist again, directly across from the ocean with only sand dunes in between.

Looking forward to see how this pans out. Still only around winter level winds though, if even. Getting there however. Seems to be getting stronger with each gust nearly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

As far as I remember, gusts were up to around 96mph, which would have made it a Category 2 hurricane, but sustained winds were in the high end of tropical storm force in and around 70mph. The ten minute sustained wind speeds we use in Ireland were lower and would have put it in the tropical storm category, but since Atlantic tropical cyclones are measured using the US system by the NHC, only one-minute sustained winds over 75mph are required for hurricane status. Our one-minute sustained winds were close to 85mph, so by the NHC's standards, Ophelia was at Category One Hurricane strength as an extratropical cyclone, hence justifying forecasters calling it an "extratropical hurricane" as opposed to simply an extratropical storm.

Cool, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

From what I'm seeing on the sat the 'blob' in the Atlantic is heading for the north of country so little rain in the southern half of Ireland is how I'm seeing it at the moment.
    23.3c now.

Where are you watching the satellite?

highdef wrote: »
    But why would you not dare not look outside? Sure you love when nature provides a watery bounty. I would have imagined you looking out in awe at the spectacle of the remnants of a tropical cyclone passing right over your home but without the dangers associated with a powerful storm.

Here it is just rain is all ..nothing awesome.... puddles and mud. mud and puddles. no ocean or mountains to be seen.. just rain and mud..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Torrential rain has arrived in Cavan town

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

It did indeed go JUST north of us
    Delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    screamer wrote: »
    I think Ophelia became extra tropical about 24 hours before it hit. Doesn't mean anything to me but I remember that Donnelly girl on the weather at pains to explain that it would not be a hurricane any longer but an extra tropical storm packing hurricane force gusts......

No it wasn't a hurricane any more, because even though it had hurricane force gusts, they were only gusts and not sustained speeds, hence it was no longer a hurricane. I think it had around the category 2 gusts when it landed, but again to be a hurricane the winds have to be sustained and not just gusts. HTH a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Squally showers here in Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

2forjoy wrote: »
    Squally showers here in Tipperary

Which part of tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind really picking up in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Still calm in Dublin with broken clouds.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Still calm in Dublin with broken clouds.

Raining now :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Raining now :confused:

It's been raining here for over 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Last time I checked there was over 21.0mm in the bucket from this evening's rain. Heavy drizzle still and a warm wind picking up.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Attempts of rain in D18.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's been raining here for over 10 minutes.

I didn't even know that it was raining until I smelled it. It got heavy for a bit but it stopped now.

Advertisement