Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

(Ernesto) Warning for High Intensity Rain Sat 18 PM / Sun 19 AM

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Rainfall totals for 18 August 2018.

Station|Rainfall total (mm)
    Athenry|13.5
    Ballyhaise|14.0
    Belmullet|16.0
    Claremorris|20.2
    Dunsany|5.4
    Finner Camp|15.3
    Knock Airport|18.0
    Mace Head|18.6
    Malin Head|19.5
    Markree Castle|15.8
    Mt. Dillon|18.6
    Mullingar|8.5
    Newport|19.3

All other stations had under 5mm.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

I checked this late last night and it was showing 19.7 for Mace Head - interesting that it is still showing this on the graph and showing 18.6 on the summary version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maidhci wrote: »
    I checked this late last night and it was showing 19.7 for Mace Head - interesting that it is still showing this on the graph and showing 18.6 on the summary version.

It says 18.6mm on the daily data also: https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was pretty steady heavy drizzle last night in far NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It says 18.6mm on the daily data also: https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

Thanks - I have seen this on a few previous occasions and wonder how it happens - presumably it is some computer glitch somewhere within the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Did many spots get this high intensity rain ? Northern counties maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yesterday evening's total here was 21.8mm, and was very similar to the rain event on July 26th when 2 to 3 hours of heavy rain fell leading to 19.8mm in that time frame.

Have to say, this summer, despite being drier than normal, has brought a number of high intensity rainfall events here locally at least. Yet, despite this, there is a surprising lack of thunder days to go with it. Only one day with observed thunder this summer. Hopefully the coming Autumn and Winter will compensate.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just shy of 24mm in Castlebar, I would not call it high intensity, just stubborn and persistent, Thursday morning had a high rain rate of 157.8 mm/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Xenji wrote: »
    Just shy of 24mm in Castlebar, I would not call it high intensity

Recorded something similar in just 30 mins back in late July. I would call that high intensity!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

1.0mm recorded here in Glasnevin since midnight. 0.4mm recorded before. It's 19.2C here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Recorded something similar in just 30 mins back in late July. I would call that high intensity!

Must of been some deluge, what we got was over 7 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Xenji wrote: »
    Must of been some deluge, what we got was over 7 hours.

I remember that
    Was watching it move JUST north of us that afternoon and we very grateful
    Lot of flooding around claregalwsy out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Claremorris was like a monsoon at 730pm last night.

Rainfall rate must hv been very high

Advertisement