Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Ernesto) Warning for High Intensity Rain Sat 18 PM / Sun 19 AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Will the worst of the rain pass over the Northern half of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

This weather / warning / advisory lark protocol in MET eireann needs serious revision , it s beyond a joke now .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oops69 wrote: »
    This weather / warning / advisory lark protocol in MET eireann needs serious revision , it s beyond a joke now .

Really? Twas an advisory ffs.

I'd counter that with the faux outrage and inability to comprehend that it was a yellow advisory is beyond a joke.

Last advisory from the NHC.

458695.png

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

So sky news are saying that this storm could contain smoke and ash from the wildfires in north America. Strange.

https://news.sky.com/story/storm-ernesto-set-to-bring-wildfire-smoke-to-britain-11475479

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This rain moving in, looking at the models doesn't appear anything noteworthy.

Widespread 10mm of rain surely should be welcomed - but it doesn't even look like that, although some localised spots could hit 20mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Advisory is back:
    Met &#201 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Rain moving eastwards across Ireland this evening and tonight will give heavy / intense bursts of rainfall in places for short periods with a risk of spot flooding.

Issued: Saturday 18 August 2018 10:00

Updated: Saturday 18 August 2018 10:00

Valid from Saturday 18 August 2018 18:01 to Sunday 19 August 2018 04:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I think some of these warnings are becoming totally unneeded.

The idea of a warning system is that you want people to take notice. It won't work if 'wolf' is being constantly cried for minimal "events".

There is nothing that suggests to me any warning level is justified here.

Aside from some normal marine warnings this is nothing out of the ordinary.

I think that ship has sailed. Way too many warnings for mediocre events.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A normal bit of wind and rain for the NW, nothing out the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

From what I'm seeing on the sat the 'blob' in the Atlantic is heading for the north of country so little rain in the southern half of Ireland is how I'm seeing it at the moment.
    23.3c now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Any chance the mods could set up a dedicated thread for the people who want to discuss how wrong or right Met Eireann are? And keep threads like this for weather discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Natibaby wrote: »
    Any chance the mods could set up a dedicated thread for the people who want to discuss how wrong or right Met Eireann are? And keep threads like this for weather discussion

There already is for the warning system: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105643561

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good opportunity to see how the models perform.

3hkLpsp.png

aromehd-25-26-0_hvs1.png

nmm_uk1-25-26-4_lkj4.png

arpegeuk-25-26-0_eoc3.png

hirlamuk-25-26-0_ylk5.png

iconeu_uk1-25-23-0_tbu1.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Moderate / heavy rain approaching the W' NW now.

fWm0tmG.gif

Pd4l5wl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Going by those charts the South will see very little if any rain.
    Why don't Met Eireann mention that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks.... off out to house the hens and walk the dog without getting soaked.... West |Mayo. offshore island ;):D

EX Ernesto approaching the W coast. Not a huge feature, moving through quickly but interesting nonetheless to see how much precipitation falls.

NpQG2xW.gif

CdpIZpk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well at least its bringing some lovely warm air with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

fryup wrote: »
    well at least its bringing some lovely warm air with it :)
    Indeed it's balmy here in south laois, kk city even hotter.....

A windy night across the country more so on coasts. Feeling very mild and humid.

tempresult_byg6.gif

nmm_uk1-41-20-4_opt2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »

Thanks.... off out to house the hens and walk the dog without getting soaked.... West |Mayo. offshore island ;):D

Just back in before the deluge started..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It’s been misting down here all day in coastal west cork. Seems to be getting a bit heavier. Not very windy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Getting quit breezy in Cork city, still warm and humid, has a bit of tropical storm feel with grey clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Reached 26C here in Kilkenny. Pity it looks like we will miss the main rainfall from Ernesto, we need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

RobertKK wrote: »
    Reached 26C here in Kilkenny. Pity it looks like we will miss the main rainfall from Ernesto, we need it.
    Terribly disappointing but not surprising, the pattern of recent weeks with all the rain moving northeast over Connacht and Ulster and little in the east and south continues.
    24.2c here and sunshine now hazy through the cirrus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Will it hit Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

You should remember that,being summer, there will be more pleasure craft at sea than during the winter months, so a warning for higher winds than normal is justified.

My garden could do with rain, we have a new lawn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ophelia approached us from the south-west though, so it transitioned around 45 degrees:

MET-EIREANN-UPDATE.jpg

I believe the actual transition ended up occurring somewhere overnight on the 16th (US time), so still quite well south of the latitude Ernesto is at.

Ah, my mistake was forgetting that it maintained its hurricane force winds for a time after becoming post-tropical.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

screamer wrote: »
    I think Ophelia became extra tropical about 24 hours before it hit. Doesn't mean anything to me but I remember that Donnelly girl on the weather at pains to explain that it would not be a hurricane any longer but an extra tropical storm packing hurricane force gusts......

That was due to media misunderstanding of transition - the same thing happened with Hurricane Sandy. Headlines started talking about how it was being "downgraded" from a hurricane to a post-tropical storm, even though this is only relevant to meteorologists and has little bearing on the effects on the ground re wind speeds and rainfall. A lot of people were saying "pah, it's not a hurricane anymore so I guess this was all hype" and Met Eireann had to go to great lengths to get the message out that aside from a technical change in designation, the transition was so recent that wind speeds etc wouldn't change much by the time it hit Ireland, so it would still be a 'hurricane' event in all but name.

I often wonder how bad it might have been if such warnings hadn't been issued and the country hadn't shut down the way it did. Where I was in Dun Laoghaire, the amount of damage was genuinely unbelievable - I've never seen so many trees felled in a single day, and some of them fell strongly and heavily enough to smash through brick garden walls, leaving gaps in the walls and bricks scattered around the place. Within a one minute walk from my gaff I think I counted six very large trees having been felled, and one or two overhanging shop signs in the main street as well - if the town had been as busy as it usually is, there's absolutely no doubt that there would have been numerous serious injuries at the very least.

Maybe it wasn't as epic an event as forecast for the West coast, where stormy conditions are more frequent, but I can tell you that for an East Coast town it really was a once in a lifetime event. I can't remember any storm doing as much surface damage since we moved here in 1995.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looks like the worst of the rain will just go north of us
    Hopefully !

Advertisement