Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017/18 Off Season Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

A bit of action at last.....

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/956663800123613184

Brewers 1 and 9 prospects going the other way.

and in less exciting news, the broke NYM sign Jose bloody Reyes again.

Brewers have also signed Lorenzo Cain for 5 years at 80 million. The Brewers are amassing a nice little outfit.

I can see the logic to Reyes. He'll be a handy utility player if nothing else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ShyMets wrote: »
    Brewers have also signed Lorenzo Cain for 5 years at 80 million. The Brewers are amassing a nice little outfit.

So, at this point, 2018 Mets are the 2017 mets less Neil Walker, with the addition of Adrian Gonzalez (who the Braves DFA'd immediately), and someone named Anthony Swarzczuk in the bullpen. Minus a few bench players and poor-quality bullpen arms.

Yep, can't wait to reserve my 2018 playoff tickets (/sarcasm.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just two of the Marlins 2017 opening line up left on the roster now.

https://twitter.com/stephenjosiah13/status/956669013412712449

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, at this point, 2018 Mets are the 2017 mets less Neil Walker, with the addition of Adrian Gonzalez (who the Braves DFA'd immediately), and someone named Anthony Swarzczuk in the bullpen. Minus a few bench players and poor-quality bullpen arms.

Yep, can't wait to reserve my 2018 playoff tickets (/sarcasm.)

Yep. Sums it up nicely. The Mets seem to be placing all their eggs in the Mikey Callaway to work his magic with the Picthers basket

Yep. Sums it up nicely. The Mets seem to be placing all their eggs in the Mikey Callaway to work his magic with the Picthers basket

Which is all well and good until mid May when half of them are on the DL.

That’s the big problem with the Wilpon’s master plan. If the 5 starters can be healthy and each pitch 35 games, the Mets are in business. However anyone with half a brain knows that no team ever goes through a season without some disruption to their starters and especially this team, with their injury history..???? There’s not a chance that will happen.

Which is all well and good until mid May when half of them are on the DL.

That’s the big problem with the Wilpon’s master plan. If the 5 starters can be healthy and each pitch 35 games, the Mets are in business. However anyone with half a brain knows that no team ever goes through a season without some disruption to their starters and especially this team, with their injury history..???? There’s not a chance that will happen.

But you're forgetting that Sandy has assured us that the Mets have overhauled their medical protocols. The DL is now a thing of the past🀣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Brewers have signed Lorenzo Cain - $80mm/5years.

Unfortunately the knock on effect of the Reyes signing is that space is needed on the 40 man for him and Josh Smoker had to be DFAd. Which begs the question, why the hell wasn't it one of the other 10 infielders they have on the roster at the moment? Matt Reynolds would have been the prime candidate I would have thought? And if it really had to be a pitcher, why the hell wasn't it Montero or Robles? 2 awful pitchers whose ability to stay on the roster amazes me. Now only 1 lefty reliever on the roster which is a bit ridiculous.

I thought this was interesting, a team of free agents*

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/01/25/free-agent-all-stars?utm_campaign=si-mlb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

* Reyes signed since so new backup infielder required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anyone taken a look at the Marlin's outfield depth chart?

Should be called a shallow chart.

8-10 wrote: »
    Anyone taken a look at the Marlin's outfield depth chart?

Should be called a shallow chart.

Well as long as Jeter's getting his $5m a year, all is good in Miami!

I’ve no interest in becoming an umpire or anything but I’m certainly interested in hearing from one and how they work so this looks very interesting.

https://twitter.com/baseballireland/status/958299205814181888

Interesting graphic on how the game's getting longer

https://twitter.com/mikemayermmo/status/959403975585001472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I've mostly slept-walked through this off-season I have to say. All my interest has been in the young, fast, resurgent Maple Leafs and the Raptors. It's probably the first time in a long time I'm not keeping up with baseball news. Any great, big, whopping trades? Any blockbusters?

mod9maple wrote: »
    I've mostly slept-walked through this off-season I have to say. All my interest has been in the young, fast, resurgent Maple Leafs and the Raptors. It's probably the first time in a long time I'm not keeping up with baseball news. Any great, big, whopping trades? Any blockbusters?

Some guy called Stanton got traded to the Yankees from the Marlins. I hear he's half decent:)

Though on a serious note. The Hot Stove has been colder then the surface of Pluto

• Advertisement

Interesting graphic on how the game's getting longer

https://twitter.com/mikemayermmo/status/959403975585001472

Interesting, so even with the clock between batters, the clock between pitching changes/innings, the average game is still getting longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Though on a serious note. The Hot Stove has been colder then the surface of Pluto

And on that note:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/02/02/agent-brodie-van-wagenen-accuses-mlb-owners-collusion-threatens-spring-training-boycott/300994002/

No idea why owners wouldn't want to negotiate with this guy
    Van Wagenen, who has negotiated nine-figure contracts for the likes of Ryan Howard

8-10 wrote: »
    No idea why owners wouldn't want to negotiate with this guy

The sabers are being rattled. I just don't see how you make the owners pay the prices the agents want

Mets sign Todd Frazier to a two year deal for 17 million.

Very happy with that

• Advertisement

Mets sign Todd Frazier to a two year deal for 17 million.

Very happy with that

Yeah, I’m happy with that too. Despite the pessimism about the Wilpons opening their wallets, they haven’t been as stingey as we thought they would be. Ok, they aren’t shopping at the top end of the market but it’s better than nothing.

Will probably mean Matt Reynolds getting DFAd but I won’t be too upset over that.

Russell Wilson's of Seattle Seahawks fame has been traded from the Texas Rangers to the New York Yankees.

Apparently he has no interest in doing a Deion or a Bo so no idea what the point of this is, apart from selling a few spring training tickets as he's due to appear in a few games.

Russell Wilson's of Seattle Seahawks fame has been traded from the Texas Rangers to the New York Yankees.

Apparently he has no interest in doing a Deion or a Bo so no idea what the point of this is, apart from selling a few spring training tickets as he's due to appear in a few games.

From reading the article, he is apparently 'fulfilling a dream' by getting a chance to play Baseball and helping flog a few tickets and jerseys in the process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Darvish to the Cubs

6 years for $150 million

Darvish to the Cubs. Six years and 126 million

Maybe it's because not much has happened, but this off-season has felt longer than usual. But.....

https://twitter.com/mlbonfox/status/963142718158352384

Ok, it's only pitchers and catchers reporting and there's still another 7 weeks before a ball is pitched in anger but it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well this is a funny one. I got an email about MLB.tv last night to tell me my subscription was auto renewing.:confused: I was sure I cancelled this and the NBA auto renewal on the subscriptions for 2017 in 2016. We'll it appears I was charged for it I think. And I never went near it as I assume I'd cancelled it. And I got rid of BT sport so I didn't have that option. I emailed them to check did I have it or not. I'm 99% sure I didn't have it. The lads that do have it what does it come up as on your bank statement as ? I can't find anything from that time last year saying MLB or anything like that.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well this is a funny one. I got an email about MLB.tv last night to tell me my subscription was auto renewing.:confused: I was sure I cancelled this and the NBA auto renewal on the subscriptions for 2017 in 2016. We'll it appears I was charged for it I think. And I never went near it as I assume I'd cancelled it. And I got rid of BT sport so I didn't have that option. I emailed them to check did I have it or not. I'm 99% sure I didn't have it. The lads that do have it what does it come up as on your bank statement as ? I can't find anything from that time last year saying MLB or anything like that.

Shows up as MLB.com on my statement. It was taken on the 28 Feb. and was for $138.88

Shows up as MLB.com on my statement. It was taken on the 28 Feb. and was for $138.88

Well no nothing like that. 28th February 2017 ?

Mine shows as PayPal MLB ADVANCED

• Advertisement

Well no nothing like that. 28th February 2017 ?

Yeah, 28 Feb 2017.

I paid using my Revolut pre paid CC.

Slight increase this year too. Only $3 so not the end of the world.

I've re read the email I got and it says the amount will be $115.99. That seems low considering what ye are saying. So does that $115.99 convert to euro from my account. I think it looks like I had the subscription all year and didn't know it. And here was me watch the highlights on MLB.com of the Mets and other stuff. If I'd have known that I had the access I'd have bothered to post on this forum. I cancelled the autorenew two years ago so I think I assumed it was off going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just if anyone is interested in potentially getting mlbtv cheaper, last year I didn't renew my subscription and about 2 weeks into the season they emailed me an offer of 50% off the original price. Not bad for only losing two weeks of the season. Hoping they do the same again this year.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Just if anyone is interested in potentially getting mlbtv cheaper, last year I didn't renew my subscription and about 2 weeks into the season they emailed me an offer of 50% off the original price. Not bad for only losing two weeks of the season. Hoping they do the same again this year.

I cancelled by auto-renew this season because i just haven't used it enough and can still stream games elsewhere. But if it's half the price in May I could easily see myself going for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I did the same last year. I wouldn't watch much of Spring training anyway and can make do with the free games they give non subscribers until I pick up a subscription.

I've re read the email I got and it says the amount will be $115.99. That seems low considering what ye are saying. So does that $115.99 convert to euro from my account. I think it looks like I had the subscription all year and didn't know it. And here was me watch the highlights on MLB.com of the Mets and other stuff. If I'd have known that I had the access I'd have bothered to post on this forum. I cancelled the autorenew two years ago so I think I assumed it was off going forward.

23% tax is added on behalf of the good folks in our government so the actual total will be up around the $142-143 mark.

Last year because of the terrible exchange rate, the $139 cost me around €130. This year, even with the $3 increase, it should come in around €115-116.

Diamondbacks are installing a humidor to store baseballs in, which should lead to a decrease in home runs hit at Chase Field

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2018/02/13/diamondbacks-track-unveil-humidor-2018/335957002/

Andrew Cashner to the Orioles for 2 years at 16 million.

A decent deal for both sides.

• Advertisement

Red Sox resign Eduardo Nunez to a one year deal

Vargas to the Mets. 2 years, $16m. Good addition when the inevitable injuries start to happen

Vargas to the Mets. 2 years, $16m. Good addition when the inevitable injuries start to happen

Agree. Happy with that signing. You know I'm starting to think that if things break are way we can make the playoffs.

Agree. Happy with that signing. You know I'm starting to think that if things break are way we can make the playoffs.

Ah Jaysus, don't be saying things like that in February...!!!!

To be honest, they have brought in more players that I thought they would, even if they have been at the cheap end of the scale but there seems to be some depth there now. Still need a lefty for the bullpen and plenty of prayers that everyone stays healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ah Jaysus, don't be saying things like that in February...!!!!

To be honest, they have brought in more players that I thought they would, even if they have been at the cheap end of the scale but there seems to be some depth there now. Still need a lefty for the bullpen and plenty of prayers that everyone stays healthy.

Well it's a signing, probably the #3 starter. All good. I doubt it scares the Nationals, though, so it's on to chase the wild card.

And health, as it is every year, is critical.

Padres sign Eric Hosmer to eight year deal

• Advertisement

CJ Cron to the Rays, Odorizzi to the Twins

Corey Dickerson designated for assignment which is a bit of a strange one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

8-10 wrote:
    Corey Dickerson designated for assignment which is a bit of a strange one

Oh there's something fishy going on there..

Never gonna happen. More hype to try and sell a few tickets. Sure they're starting him out at AA this season despite him not being able to master either A or A+.

• Advertisement
Advertisement