Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 Off Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hot stove finally seems to be heating up

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/952320068582453248

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Addison Reed to the Twins. 2 years $17m. Good pitcher and nice deal for him too.

Really had hoped that the Mets would resign him.

In other Mets news they have signed Adrian Gonzalez to a minimum salary deal.

ShyMets wrote: »

Low risk move I suppose but not good news for Dom Smith. I think Gonzalez is done so I can't see it working out to be honest.

Low risk move I suppose but not good news for Dom Smith. I think Gonzalez is done so I can't see it working out to be honest.

Agreed. Can't see Gonzalez having too much of an impact. I'm more concerned with what the moves say about Smith. Not exactly a vote of confidence in him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

SF Giants acquire OF Andrew McCutchen from the Pirates (MLB.com)

• Advertisement

Curtis Granderson signs with Toronto. Don’t know how much he has left but it’s only a one year deal so low risk move.

SF Giants acquire OF Andrew McCutchen from the Pirates (MLB.com)

McCutchen and Longoria. Giants wishing it was 2013 again.

Curtis Granderson signs with Toronto. Don’t know how much he has left but it’s only a one year deal so low risk move.

Its a nice deal for Granderson. 5 million for one year plus some additional incentives.

He'll make a decent platoon option

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Really had hoped that the Mets would resign him.

In situations like this, why is it better for the Braves to pay for him to play for another team next year? If they are going to pay more or less all of his salary in 2018 would it not be better to just keep him and see what he does?

In situations like this, why is it better for the Braves to pay for him to play for another team next year? If they are going to pay more or less all of his salary in 2018 would it not be better to just keep him and see what he does?

No room on the roster maybe? There’s only 25 spots and to move him to AAA would mean he’d have to go on waivers and they’d end up having to release him anyway.

And he’d have to be added to the 40 man roster which would mean taking off a prospect and leaving him vulnerable to a waiver claim.

The trade was a salary dump from the outset so they knew what they were doing.

• Advertisement

Looks like Baseball is getting a Pitcher's call this season if the below report is accurate.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22146240/players-association-rejects-mlb-proposal-institute-20-second-pitch-clocks-limits-mound-visits

Looks like Baseball is getting a Pitcher's call this season if the below report is accurate.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22146240/players-association-rejects-mlb-proposal-institute-20-second-pitch-clocks-limits-mound-visits

This will be fun as they try to implement this with the players being totally against it.

This will be fun as they try to implement this with the players being totally against it.

They've had a pitching clock in the Minor Leagues for a couple of years now. Any Picther recently called up into the Majors shouldn't have an issue with it. But I can see senior players kicking up a fuss.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

They've had a pitching clock in the Minor Leagues for a couple of years now. Any Picther recently called up into the Majors shouldn't have an issue with it. But I can see senior players kicking up a fuss.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out

Especially in a league where the enforcement of unwritten rules and acting like a teenager are in full effect.

Good article worth reading while nothing else seems to be happening

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-baseballs-economic-system-might-broken-224638354.html

Good article worth reading while nothing else seems to be happening

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-baseballs-economic-system-might-broken-224638354.html

I think it's a combination of factors. Agents over valuing Free Agents or the service term left on players contracts. Sabermatrics influencing how teams value players. Some teams tanking and staying out of the Market. And then there is the Luxury tax, which seems to be acting as a salery cap.

Players and agents are going to have to be more realistic and adjust their asking price accordingly.

A bit of action at last.....

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/956663800123613184

Brewers 1 and 9 prospects going the other way.

and in less exciting news, the broke NYM sign Jose bloody Reyes again.

Just two of the Marlins 2017 opening line up left on the roster now.

• Advertisement

A bit of action at last.....

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/956663800123613184

Brewers 1 and 9 prospects going the other way.

and in less exciting news, the broke NYM sign Jose bloody Reyes again.

Brewers have also signed Lorenzo Cain for 5 years at 80 million. The Brewers are amassing a nice little outfit.

I can see the logic to Reyes. He'll be a handy utility player if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Brewers have also signed Lorenzo Cain for 5 years at 80 million. The Brewers are amassing a nice little outfit.

So, at this point, 2018 Mets are the 2017 mets less Neil Walker, with the addition of Adrian Gonzalez (who the Braves DFA'd immediately), and someone named Anthony Swarzczuk in the bullpen. Minus a few bench players and poor-quality bullpen arms.

Yep, can't wait to reserve my 2018 playoff tickets (/sarcasm.)

Just two of the Marlins 2017 opening line up left on the roster now.

https://twitter.com/stephenjosiah13/status/956669013412712449

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, at this point, 2018 Mets are the 2017 mets less Neil Walker, with the addition of Adrian Gonzalez (who the Braves DFA'd immediately), and someone named Anthony Swarzczuk in the bullpen. Minus a few bench players and poor-quality bullpen arms.

Yep, can't wait to reserve my 2018 playoff tickets (/sarcasm.)

Yep. Sums it up nicely. The Mets seem to be placing all their eggs in the Mikey Callaway to work his magic with the Picthers basket

Yep. Sums it up nicely. The Mets seem to be placing all their eggs in the Mikey Callaway to work his magic with the Picthers basket

Which is all well and good until mid May when half of them are on the DL.

That’s the big problem with the Wilpon’s master plan. If the 5 starters can be healthy and each pitch 35 games, the Mets are in business. However anyone with half a brain knows that no team ever goes through a season without some disruption to their starters and especially this team, with their injury history..???? There’s not a chance that will happen.

Which is all well and good until mid May when half of them are on the DL.

That’s the big problem with the Wilpon’s master plan. If the 5 starters can be healthy and each pitch 35 games, the Mets are in business. However anyone with half a brain knows that no team ever goes through a season without some disruption to their starters and especially this team, with their injury history..???? There’s not a chance that will happen.

But you're forgetting that Sandy has assured us that the Mets have overhauled their medical protocols. The DL is now a thing of the past🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Brewers have signed Lorenzo Cain - $80mm/5years.

Unfortunately the knock on effect of the Reyes signing is that space is needed on the 40 man for him and Josh Smoker had to be DFAd. Which begs the question, why the hell wasn't it one of the other 10 infielders they have on the roster at the moment? Matt Reynolds would have been the prime candidate I would have thought? And if it really had to be a pitcher, why the hell wasn't it Montero or Robles? 2 awful pitchers whose ability to stay on the roster amazes me. Now only 1 lefty reliever on the roster which is a bit ridiculous.

I thought this was interesting, a team of free agents*

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/01/25/free-agent-all-stars?utm_campaign=si-mlb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

* Reyes signed since so new backup infielder required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anyone taken a look at the Marlin's outfield depth chart?

Should be called a shallow chart.

Advertisement