Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 Off Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Awful news again today.

Roy Halliday died in a plane crash. Great pitcher. Terrible news.

Edit - Just read he was the only person on board and apparently had only bought the plane about month ago

https://deadspin.com/roy-halladay-killed-in-plane-crash-1820229860
    Shocked...this is so tragic :(

Seen him pitch one of his many complete games for the Phillies while is was still great. An incredible pitcher who gave everything everytime he took to the mound. RIP Doc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Christ, I'm gutted. My favourite pitcher. A really nice guy too, on and off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Horrible news.

He was a big hero of mine - https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057076299/6/#post87920262

I can't even...

Tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Can't believe it. So many Saturday and Sunday evenings watching him on mlb.tv, and a good few at Skydome too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Didn't follow Baseball when he pitched but heard about him alot since moving to Toronto. RIP Roy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

We'll probably hear Stanton linked to most teams at some stage before he's traded (if he is) but the Red Sox are the latest team to be linked.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/giancarlo-stanton-rumors-saturday.html

We'll probably hear Stanton linked to most teams at some stage before he's traded (if he is) but the Red Sox are the latest team to be linked.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/giancarlo-stanton-rumors-saturday.html

JD Martinez is the bat they want I think, Stanton would be huge but I'd imagine there's a significant cost difference

Apparently JD wants 210/7 years. I'll have what he's smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Corey Kluber wins Cy Young for second time. Well deserved.

Mad Max won the NL for the second year in a row. Only the 6th time in history its happened. Both well deserved.

• Advertisement

Stanton wins NL MVP
    Altuve wins AL MVP

Can't argue with either selection.

Stanton wins NL MVP
    Altuve wins AL MVP

Can't argue with either selection.

Altuve comes across as so loveable. Delighted for him.
    Big fan of Stanton too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Surprise, surprise, all nine players who received Qualifying Offers have rejected them.

Atlanta Braves getting hammered for international signing indiscretions.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/report-braves-lose-least-four-players-after-mlb-probe/k4qgwNcZ3LglzB5Tay43ZM/

It'll be interesting to see where the free agents end up.

Atlanta Braves getting hammered for international signing indiscretions.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/report-braves-lose-least-four-players-after-mlb-probe/k4qgwNcZ3LglzB5Tay43ZM/

It'll be interesting to see where the free agents end up.

MLB absolutely hammering them. I wonder are any other teams a little worried at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,902 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting interview with the GM of the Mariners and how they're going after Ohtani. I'd love for the Mets to get him, that ain't gonna happen, but the Mariner's would be my 2d choice. And then every other team in baseball before the Yankees.

This isn't the big race though, that'll happen when he becomes FA eligible. I think that's after 2018, so imagine that FA class, wow.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/370930/dipoto-opens-up-about-mariners-pursuit-of-shohei-ohtani/

Igotadose wrote: »
    Interesting interview with the GM of the Mariners and how they're going after Ohtani. I'd love for the Mets to get him, that ain't gonna happen, but the Mariner's would be my 2d choice. And then every other team in baseball before the Yankees.

This isn't the big race though, that'll happen when he becomes FA eligible. I think that's after 2018, so imagine that FA class, wow.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/370930/dipoto-opens-up-about-mariners-pursuit-of-shohei-ohtani/

Heard mummers that the Mets were looking at him. But as you say not a hope in hell they'll sign him.

The FA class of 2018 is going to be insane. Harper, Machado & Kershaw to name just a few.

Mets can only offer him something like $250-350k. Yankees can offer $3m or something and the other 28 teams are somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭boccy23

Mets can only offer him something like $250-350k. Yankees can offer $3m or something and the other 28 teams are somewhere in between.

I don't think that money will be his main motivation. He could stay in Japan for 2 more years and come over as an FA. Also, he will be a FA in a couple of years anyway.
    The DH has to be the attraction for him and as a LHB Boston should be his choice. Look what Fenway did for Big Papi.

Yankees can offer $3.5 million, Rangers can offer $3.535 million, Mariners can offer $1.55 million from my reading

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-mariners-plan-on-bringing-the-a-game-to-recruit-shohei-ohtani/

Mariners do have a lot of history with Japanese players (Ichiro being the most obvious) so that might help.

• Advertisement

Here's a list he sent to teams that he wants to hear from them about;

- An evaluation of Shohei’s talent as a pitcher and/or a hitter;
    - Player development, medical, training and player performance philosophies and capabilities
    - Major League, Minor League, and Spring Training facilities
    - Resources for Shohei’s cultural assimilation
    - A detailed plan for integrating Shohei into the organisation
    - Why the city and franchise are a desirable place to play
    - Relevant marketplace characteristics

Nice podcast in the 30 for 30 series about Wrigley Field getting floodlights up now. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,902 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice podcast in the 30 for 30 series about Wrigley Field getting floodlights up now. Well worth a listen.

AFAIR the first night game @ Wrigley was... your New Yawk Mets vs. the Cubbies.

Great place to enjoy a game, Wrigley. Went there in 1990, sat near the field, sang along with Harry Caray, ate bad food. Joy.

Igotadose wrote: »
    AFAIR the first night game @ Wrigley was... your New Yawk Mets vs. the Cubbies.

Great place to enjoy a game, Wrigley. Went there in 1990, sat near the field, sang along with Harry Caray, ate bad food. Joy.

While I did know there were restrictions on night games, I wasn’t aware of the history or the battle there was to get lights that’s still going on today.

I was there once myself back in ‘09. It was a freezing cold day and the Cubs beat my Mets. The thing I remember most from the day was the banter with the ushers who must have been all in their 70s or older. Unfortunately I also remember having to experience the troughs!

I agree it’s a great place for a game.

Would love to catch a game at Wrigley. Bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

As for the Rangers we need pitchers pitchers and more pitchers. Other than that we should be ok

spud06 wrote: »
    As for the Rangers we need pitchers pitchers and more pitchers. Other than that we should be ok

Hope Darvish goes back to ye, and doesn't get a deal from the Dodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

bazwraf wrote: »

I hope not after what i saw from him in the world seriesðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭boccy23

bazwraf wrote: »

Reading that Darvish is being linked as bait to Shohei Ohtani.

Certainly Texas should be seen as a leading landing spot for Ohtani.

• Advertisement

Looks like Giants are winning the race for Stanton.

Advertisement