Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

BillyBird wrote: »
    I'll never understand American's fascination with this "cuck" insult? It seems so bizarrely specific. And now it appears people in Ireland are using it non-ironically? A Starbucks on every corner and we're adopting their insults now as well.

Generally refers to an de-balled ultra liberal woke individual

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hoppy Jack wrote: »

i hope you're joking

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'll never understand American's fascination with this "cuck" insult? It seems so bizarrely specific. And now it appears people in Ireland are using it non-ironically? A Starbucks on every corner and we're adopting their insults now as well.

i agree 100% any irish person using it is a tool

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Hoppy Jack wrote: »

Add "woke" to the list. Are you working through some kind of bingo card?

I'm not down with the kids but do people actually speak like this in the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Add "woke" to the list. Are you working through some kind of bingo card?

I'm not down with the kids but do people actually speak like this in the real world?
    Nobody speaks like this. Its just trying to use Americanisms and coming across very silly in an Irish conext

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the final show hosted by Chris O'Donoghue and Ivan Yates is available online?

I've searched for it, and there's an article about it, whose link has expired; and part of the show is available on Newstalk, but not all of it.. It seems to have disappeared.

I remember listening to the final half-hour of the show back in 2016 (?) and laughing out loud on the way into work. There was a particularly funny bit about a phone ringing in a coffin... It's not possible to do it justice by explaining the joke.

Does anyone know if it's been saved somewhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Things got a little tetchy between Cuddihy and Jeffrey Donaldson this morning. Was rather amusing at the end when Cuddihy effectively cut him off with something like "so Dublin, London and Brussels have it wrong and the DUP have it right? Ok, thanks Jeffrey".

Jeffrey Donaldson this morning.

He seems to be on a lot, but I've never understood what's in appearing on Newstalk for him. Not saying it's a bad thing that we hear voices from the other side of the border/sea but most politicians are a) busy b) use what time they have to talk to/work with their constituents. Is he bigger than all that and just wants to build bridges between communities? Am I too cynical?

He seems to be on a lot, but I've never understood what's in appearing on Newstalk for him. Not saying it's a bad thing that we hear voices from the other side of the border/sea but most politicians are a) busy b) use what time they have to talk to/work with their constituents. Is he bigger than all that and just wants to build bridges between communities? Am I too cynical?

OMG LOL! First time the words “Jeffrey Donaldson” and “build bridges between communities” have been used together! :pac:

OMG LOL! First time the words “Jeffrey Donaldson” and “build bridges between communities” have been used together! :pac:

I know, I know, so we're all agreed it is not bridge building!:)

So why does he come on the show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Things got a little tetchy between Cuddihy and Jeffrey Donaldson this morning. Was rather amusing at the end when Cuddihy effectively cut him off with something like "so Dublin, London and Brussels have it wrong and the DUP have it right? Ok, thanks Jeffrey".

Heard that, whatever about Donaldson, Cuddihy is one ignorant pr!ck of an interviewer. I think they are trying to stir controversy with their recent interviews, but it just comes across as pure and utter ignorance. Their dismissive attitude is unreal.

if you're cynical, I'm probably even more so. Because I've been wondering siimilar - Donaldson must be on RTE a few times every week. Why does a man who is a member of a party that has such thinly veiled contempt for this country so often jump at the chance to appear on various Irish broadcast media?

I think it's because the core, founding principle of hard-line NI Unionism is its contempt for ireland/notions of national or ethnic superiority, and RTE is one of the few media organisations still willing to give them a platform during peacetime. You could interpret it as trolling, or just a need to be confrontational towards Irish republicans/ people in the Republic. Without that confrontation the DUP has no identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm..... I would be of the opinion that Donaldson is one of the more measured members of that Party.

There is always a coldness and thinly disguised contempt when people like Sammy Wilson et al are interviewed by southern media.

Why....

Because that’s what their support base expect, lose that and you will be out of your fat salary for doing little or nothing positive.

Donaldson is far from the worst and in my opinion seems to have softened a bit in the last few years in his approach.

Just my observations.

Dave McSavage on there, apparently the perceived woke PC culture is hodling comedy back. I think the fact that he's only moderately funny is what is holding him back.

Also young comedians have nothing to give because they have no life experience.

He has literally turned into the old pub bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

if you're cynical, I'm probably even more so. Because I've been wondering siimilar - Donaldson must be on RTE a few times every week. Why does a man who is a member of a party that has such thinly veiled contempt for this country so often jump at the chance to appear on various Irish broadcast media?

I think it's because the core, founding principle of hard-line NI Unionism is its contempt for ireland/notions of national or ethnic superiority, and RTE is one of the few media organisations still willing to give them a platform during peacetime. You could interpret it as trolling, or just a need to be confrontational towards Irish republicans/ people in the Republic. Without that confrontation the DUP has no identity.

Is it any wonder that he is always on. RTE has a "thinly veiled contempt for this country" as expressed by it's relentless advocacy of the EU/UN multinational ,open borders agenda. They also treat us all with contempt in how they use taxpayers money to pay themselves huge wages (sometimes for only 4 hours broadcasting a week).
    Yet, they are now looking for more.
    They are a fundamentally discredited organisation.

I'm no fan of Donaldson, but Cuddihy was rude to him yesterday. Was Donaldson being a bit of a twat, yes; but Cuddihy is the host, I'd expect a more professional approach from him in dealing with Donaldson.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I'm no fan of Donaldson, but Cuddihy was rude to him yesterday. Was Donaldson being a bit of a twat, yes; but Cuddihy is the host, I'd expect a more professional approach from him in dealing with Donaldson.

Have to agree there...and was Cuddihy not wrong in what he was stating anyway so couldn't believe the way he treated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The show wants listeners to call in and participate in ongoing news stories of the morning.
    Another Lahvlahn wannabe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Cuddihy and Coleman at it again this morning..
    A woke stand off between the two ladyboys over whether Ireland were better than Wales.....Absolutely insufferable. I had only switched over to fill a break on another channel. Just what I needed while driving into work in the pissing rain on a Monday morning..
    Someone in Newstalk please read this and sack the both of them, liberals on outrage steroids....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, they are atrocious. I remember them having a conversation about toast one morning that went on and on until finally they put it out to the listeners.

• Advertisement

UsBus wrote: »
    Cuddihy and Coleman at it again this morning..
    A woke stand off between the two ladyboys over whether Ireland were better than Wales.....Absolutely insufferable. I had only switched over to fill a break on another channel. Just what I needed while driving into work in the pissing rain on a Monday morning..
    Someone in Newstalk please read this and sack the both of them, liberals on outrage steroids....

I caught that as I was flicking between stations. it was even more farcical when you consider Cuddihy is a hurling fan and Coleman is into soccer and neither has a clue about rugby - as was obvious from their “arguments”. It was so ill-informed it would be akin to Joe Duffy tackling a subject like Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I caught that as I was flicking between stations. it was even more farcical when you consider Cuddihy is a hurling fan and Coleman is into soccer and neither has a clue about rugby - as was obvious from their “arguments”. It was so ill-informed it would be akin to Joe Duffy tackling a subject like Brexit.

Cuddihy thought Schmidt had won 2 Grand Slams and then Coleman corrected him to say he'd won 2 championships.

Joe's actually won 3 Six Nations titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

caught a bit of Alan Quinlan this morning talking about the rugby game. he mentioned that Ireland had 75% possession as opposed to 25%.

fantastic insight there.

They were painful to listen to this morning. Oh Wales are better then Ireland, oh no they're not, oh yes they are, oh no they're not. That was about how insightful the argument was.

caught a bit of Alan Quinlan this morning talking about the rugby game. he mentioned that Ireland had 75% possession as opposed to 25%.

fantastic insight there.

I'm a little surprised he knew that if Ireland had 75% posession that there was 25% left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

As I've said before, I enjoy the program. I like the interaction between the two of them, and while I certainly don't always agree with them, I like it when at least one of them is putting the questions I like to hear asked. What I can't stomach though is the ad breaks. They are interminable and too frequent. I just switch over now when I hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Shane Colman is totally gutless when trying to challenge a guest. He had an anti smoking campaigner on this morning giving out about the main character in Dublin Murders (a brooding detective type) chain smoking his way through the episode.

Shane couldn't lay a glove on the chap even though think of the children was basically his only point. All he could do was read out a quote from the actor about artistic realism, twice, to give the opposing view. Even if not prepared a half decent interviewer should have been able to come up with several counters off the top of their head - the texters did pretty quickly anyway. Cuddihy isn't great but he would have handled that better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fvkcing hell this new phone in portion on a NEWS show is shocking.

They are letting random people on to spout their own uninformed opinions as fact, its like shoving a fork in my ear hearing how awful this show has gotten.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Fvkcing hell this new phone in portion on a NEWS show is shocking.

They are letting random people on to spout their own uninformed opinions as fact, its like shoving a fork in my ear hearing how awful this show has gotten.

Seems to be working well on the Ciara Kelly Show.....:pac:

• Advertisement

Didn't know how many rugby players are on the team this morning. Seriously if you don't know anything about rugby then shut up and don't talk about it. Painful. Seriously painful.

Also arguing with all the interviewees, thinking they are Jeremy Paxman and challenging them straight away about kids education, can they not interview anyone without being rude to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement