Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I think what bothered me about it was Shane's defence when a listener's s text called out the media on reporting it, he said "it is news and we are obligated to report on it and bring it to you" or something similar.

Its not news, it's nonsense and absolutely not something that needed to be reported on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BillyBird wrote: »

All to generate some outrage and have yer da morons on the Radio forum shouting "PC gone mad" at the radio.

fixed that for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Mispronounced words? Really cutting edge stuff here.

Another opportunity for Cuddihy to sneer. That's the only ability that the guy has, the ability to sneer with his nasal sneery voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mispronounced words? Really cutting edge stuff here.

Another opportunity for Cuddihy to sneer. That's the only ability that the guy has, the ability to sneer with his nasal sneery voice.

He's had a few himself!

The Sports Report this morning with John Duggan (which I admit I was only listening to in the hopes that "Quinny" would be on for some insightful rugby analysis :rolleyes: :pac:) had John come out with a very strange turn of phrase when describing Arsene Wenger's departure from Arsenal a number of years back. It was something along the lines of "the long end of the fag" and then followed it up with something like "and it was the very long end of a long fag" or something like that. Maybe it's an expression I just haven't heard before but I found it very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I hate the listeners call-in slot we’re being subjected to of late. It seems the Newstalk Breakfast team are desperate to improve the show but don’t know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

I love the way Andrea Gilligan says 'adulthood' as 'addled-hood'. That's exactly how it feels sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

plodder wrote: »
    I love the way Andrea Gilligan says 'adulthood' as 'addled-hood'. That's exactly how it feels sometimes.

She’s a good presenter but she does have that slightly stiff “news reader” delivery.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

She’s a good presenter but she does have that slightly stiff “news reader” delivery.

She has awful pronunciation. This thing about dropping ‘g’ at the end of verbs is dreadful ie ‘workin’’ instead it ‘working’

She has awful pronunciation. This thing about dropping ‘g’ at the end of verbs is dreadful ie ‘workin’’ instead it ‘working’
    Accent vs pronunciation.. where do you draw the line? I hadn't noticed it, though I like her accent. Maybe, I spend too long listening to Beth Rigby on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

plodder wrote: »
    Accent vs pronunciation.. where do you draw the line? I hadn't noticed it, though I like her accent. Maybe, I spend too long listening to Beth Rigby on Sky.

I like her accent, too. Apparently she's from Donegal, though I wouldn't have guessed.

Sometimes there is a big difference between a presenter's on air accent and their accent away from the mic. I used to listen to Adrian Kennedy's phone show religiously and always thought he had a mild accent, even though he' from a corpo estate in Ballybrack.

Then I saw him on some chat show on RTE and he had a real thick dub accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Had to switch off this morning with Cuddihy and Coleman in full virtue signal mode regarding asylum seekers, none of the usual apparently taking opposite sides on an arguement.
    Cuddihy thought proposed spending of 320 million on direct provision centres didn't go far enough !. Tell that to people whose carers hours or special needs assistants have been cut due to lack of funding.
    Someone texted in that there was a difference between asylum seekers and economic migrants but Coleman was having none of it.
    "Who would we have staffing our hospitals if it wasn't for economic migrants", thereby putting an East African with no education or English arriving in the back of a lorry on the same level as an educated Filipino nurse who arrived through the legal channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Isn't it funny how people mention carers or homeless only in connection to migrants. Same people who are so worried about them when there is a discussion about migration will call carers or homeless entitled spungers in another thread.

I'm not denying there are issues with migration but stop insulting people's intelligence it's because you are worried about carers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

meeeeh wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how people mention carers or homeless only in connection to migrants. Same people who are so worried about them when there is a discussion about migration will call carers or homeless entitled spungers in another thread.

I'm not denying there are issues with migration but stop insulting people's intelligence it's because you are worried about carers.

Have not done this and tbh have never seen anyone call carers spongers. Unless I know otherwise I take posters posts in good faith

Had to switch off this morning with Cuddihy and Coleman in full virtue signal mode regarding asylum seekers, none of the usual apparently taking opposite sides on an arguement.
    Cuddihy thought proposed spending of 320 million on direct provision centres didn't go far enough !. Tell that to people whose carers hours or special needs assistants have been cut due to lack of funding.
    Someone texted in that there was a difference between asylum seekers and economic migrants but Coleman was having none of it.
    "Who would we have staffing our hospitals if it wasn't for economic migrants", thereby putting an East African with no education or English arriving in the back of a lorry on the same level as an educated Filipino nurse who arrived through the legal channels.

It's the predictability of it all that grates. Always the same narrative repeated ad nauseum, the same debunked talking points reaffirmed, the wishy washy approach adopted by Coleman. When Susan Keogh was in full scale virtue signalling mode last week in relation to Grealish's comments he cut a pathetic figure, barely challenging her in case he fell foul of the woke squad in Digges Lane.

Pathetic stuff.

Didn't hear the piece, but I think the problem is that it's not a choice between spending on asylum seekers or SNA's. We have international obligations to look after asylum seekers when they show up here.
    Given the chance I think asylum seekers would be able to contribute, but I think the point is valid. If there was no difference between asylum seekers and legal migrants then why bother with a system of legal migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Open your ears and eyes for goodness sake! Sexual assault, Russia ties, Ukraine, wakeup man!!

Open your ears and eyes for goodness sake! Sexual assault, Russia ties, Ukraine, wakeup man!!

Think you've got the wrong thread there, Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Were the carers hours and special needs assistants hours cut back due to funding?

We have all sorts of money for bank bailouts, horse racing and greyhounds, more tax free inheritance, fighting the EU so Apple can keep their taxes, unvouched TD & ministerial expenses, funding political parties, shaving a few minutes of a drive between two towns Mayo, paying carbon tax fines, RTE.

Why people are so ready to pit groups in need of help against each other while staying silent on money that is mostly going to the rich is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

BillyBird wrote: »
    Why people are so ready to pit groups in need of help against each other while staying silent on money that is mostly going to the rich is beyond me.
    When one group have be shown to be absolute con artists using asylum as a route to gain entry to this country, when they would never stand a chance through going the legal route!

Lads, come on, there’s the “Current Affairs” forum for this sort of, vicious, nonsense.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

The Breakfast Show spent the morning bigging-up their exclusive and 'extraordinary' story about an Asylum Seeker here from Zimbabwe who 'smuggled' her 6yr old child into Ireland 3 weeks ago to join her.
    The 'smuggling' involved taking a direct flight from Sth Africa into Dublin, probably with the Smuggler the Mother paid, and then the child was presented to the authorities at the airport while the Smuggler jumped back on the next flight home.

Hardly 'extraordinary'.

jay0109 wrote: »
    The Breakfast Show spent the morning bigging-up their exclusive and 'extraordinary' story about an Asylum Seeker here from Zimbabwe who 'smuggled' her 6yr old child into Ireland 3 weeks ago to join her.
    The 'smuggling' involved taking a direct flight from Sth Africa into Dublin, probably with the Smuggler the Mother paid, and then the child was presented to the authorities at the airport while the Smuggler jumped back on the next flight home.

Hardly 'extraordinary'.

The mother didn’t pay, her family did. She didn’t want him sent over as she thought it was too dangerous.

In the end he was at whatever risk she was at so they didn’t think there was any choice but to send him away. She wasn’t expecting it and only found out when she was phoned by the authorities.

The tide is turning…

Ah come on, do you really believe that?

She's in for some surprise on xmas eve when the rest of the family arrive*

*I made that bit up...possibly!

jay0109 wrote: »
    Ah come on, do you really believe that?

She's in for some surprise on xmas eve when the rest of the family arrive*

*I made that bit up...possibly!

It doesn’t matter what I believe, I’m just pointing out what she said.

The way you phased it, and you might well believe it, sounded like that’s how she said it happened but that’s not what she said.

Just working off what the lady said, nothing more.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Callers on this morning in relation to the farmers protest and how it is impacting everyone this morning. Catriona in Ballsbridge went on a huge rant accusing the government of protecting the beef industry because of connections between the head of the beef industry and Simon Coveney.

The panic and scrambling from Coleman while she was ranting was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

Callers on this morning in relation to the farmers protest and how it is impacting everyone this morning. Catriona in Ballsbridge went on a huge rant accusing the government of protecting the beef industry because of connections between the head of the beef industry and Simon Coveney.

The panic and scrambling from Coleman while she was ranting was spectacular.

It was excellent! :D The first time I actually enjoyed that God awful call in segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭RINO87

First time listening today in quite a while, I tried Morning Ireland for a while (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz), but have since settled on Lyric in the mornings!

Today was funny hearing Coleman sweat, he didn't know what to say, was sh1tting his pants

....and then they went on to talk about pavlova or some such nonsense.

RINO87 wrote: »
    First time listening today in quite a while, I tried Morning Ireland for a while (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz), but have since settled on Lyric in the mornings!

Today was funny hearing Coleman sweat, he didn't know what to say, was sh1tting his pants
    That was funny all right. Not the response they were expecting from a 'Caitriona from Ballsbridge'.
    ....and then they went on to talk about pavlova or some such nonsense.
    Yes, Andrea asked the woman what her favourite type was ..
    :o

Has this programme improved since Williams' departure?

I stayed with it for a while when Cuddihy came on board, but his banal, PC views (where do they get these people? Is there a cupboard full of them in Newstalk headquarters; when one of them leaves another one is rolled out with the exact same opinions) were a turn off.

I like Coleman but he seems to be getting weaselier (is that a word?) as he gets older; never really offering a concrete view on anything, always afraid to upset a certain interest group

I've been a radio junkie for as long as I remember but I find the programmes on offer these days to be generally awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Azatadine

No, it's actually, unbelievably, worse. Those two together are terrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement