Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 French Open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Roger is playing well ,backhand is holding up well .
    Not sure how Nadal won that first set, Federer played the better tennis.
    Played well for the first half of the set but was very passive in the last few games. Thought he would be doing a lot more serving and volleying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Pighead wrote: »
    Played well for the first half of the set but was very passive in the last few games. Thought he would be doing a lot more serving and volleying.

Doesnt work aswell on the clay as on clay players stand way back of the baseline on receiving so send it long it's alot harder to volley on a heavy clay court with the distance quite far off the net.

Now go Roger go go go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,152 ✭✭✭✭josip

Broke Nadal in the 2nd, 2-0 up and serving.
    (That's 5 games to Federer :))

Doesnt work aswell on the clay as on clay players stand way back of the baseline on receiving so send it long it's alot harder to volley on a heavy clay court with the distance quite far off the net.
    Yeah but he's been doing it all tournament to great effect.

Yeah but he's been doing it all tournament to great effect.

A little against Rafa I'd imagine though haha

Can play be suspended due to wind or just rain?

josip wrote: »

Break back bloody hell

Wind can suspend it on player request and agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Roger will have to win this set to have a chance.
    Ah Roger you clown ,40-0 up and you blow it.

That was a disgusting way to choke that game

That was a disgusting way to choke that game

He threw that game and set away ,just when it looked like he was getting on top.
    His volleying is awful today,he plays a good drop shot ,Nadal does well to scoop it back and Roger continuously makes a mess of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Seemed like that horrendous first serve at 40-0 up killed all his momentum. Didn’t hit another first serve after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can Federer take 3 games in this set is about the only interesting thing left here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Fed is too nice. If that were me at the net in those conditions the other guy would be getting the ball hit right through him!

• Advertisement

Who do people think has the better chance of beating Nadal in the final? Djokovic or Thiem?

Thiem has beaten Nadal 3 times on clay in last 3 years including this season but was pummeled twice at RG during that time. Djokovic on other hand lost to Nadal in Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Who do people think has the better chance of beating Nadal in the final? Djokovic or Thiem?

Thiem has beaten Nadal 3 times on clay in last 3 years including this season but was pummeled twice at RG during that time. Djokovic on other hand lost to Nadal in Rome.

In a 5 set match? Djokovic.

He threw that game and set away ,just when it looked like he was getting on top.
    His volleying is awful today,he plays a good drop shot ,Nadal does well to scoop it back and Roger continuously makes a mess of it.
    Jesus, it wouldn't kill you to give Nadal a bit of credit! He's played some unreal tennis today.Bit of a stretch to say that Roger threw both sets away.

Wilander is obsessed with serve and volley .
    Does he realistically think that will work on Clay against Nadal ?

Jesus, it wouldn't kill you to give Nadal a bit of credit! He's played some unreal tennis today.Bit of a stretch to say that Roger threw both sets away.

Federer was 4-4 and 40-0 up on serve and he lost the game mostly due to unforced errors ,he threw that game away and in doing so the set was gone.
    I see nothing wrong with my statement .
    I never mentioned anything about throwing away the first set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

How does Rafa just keep getting the ball back in the court. Some of those shots from roger are so far out wide, they'd be winners against anyone else

Federer was 4-4 and 40-0 up on serve and he lost the game mostly due to unforced errors ,he threw that game away and in doing so the set was gone.
    I see nothing wrong with my statement .
    I never mentioned anything about throwing away the first set.
    My point re the first set is that you didn't give Rafa any credit there either! You said you weren't sure how Rafa won the first set. Answer to that question is he played some pretty good tennis and forced Roger into making mistakes! I'm guessing you're not a big Rafa fan!

Ooh, EagererBeaverer looking good

Dominant from Rafa. He looks in great nick. Will be very interesting to see if he can maintain this level through the grass and hard court swings.

Next match should be a cracker. Novak narrowly beat Thiem in Madrid but he had lost his previous two matches on clay against him. Tough to call. I'm edging towards Thiem.

Dominant from Rafa. He looks in great nick. Will be very interesting to see if he can maintain this level through the grass and hard court swings.

Next match should be a cracker. Novak narrowly beat Thiem in Madrid but he had lost his previous two matches on clay against him. Tough to call. I'm edging towards Thiem.

I don't think it was dominant at all. Both under ,70% first serve winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic doesnt like windy condtions, not sure how Thiem feels about them but it might give him a chance. Otherwise Djokovic should be too good over best of 5.

I don't think it was dominant at all. Both under ,70% first serve winners.
    He won it at a canter! Fed knew the game was up after the second set. Most of the key moments were won by Rafa. Thought he served very well today when he needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What really hahah. You bets lost

Oh hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Well done on your bet mate. But fed threw the second set away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Haha thought of you when I saw the score - well played :) was fairly sure Nadal would thump him myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Managed to watch the second set on ITV. Nadal will face either of his toughest challengers on clay on Sunday. I'd like to see him win a twelfth title but the final may see a change in clay court dominance.

Cool cool, I'll file "Fed threw the second set away" in my "things I don't give two ****es about" box.

Cool cool, I'll file "Fed threw the second set away" in my "things I didn't give two ****es about box".

You can file it away in whatever you like.

Its disappointing that Federer almost threw in the towel in the 3rd set .
    Is it mental ,you'd expect more fight out of arguably the GOAT ,guys like Jimmy Connors ,Djokovic would fight to the end.

Ruiz Jr wrote: »
    He beat Nadal the previous 5 times in a row, I don't think it's mental anymore, he's simply playing a formidable clay court player that. The windy conditions also helped Nadal in this match up.

Which would have been 6 in a row had Nadal not pulled out of IW.

It’s hardly a surprise that Rafa beats him on clay.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Which would have been 6 in a row had Nadal not pulled out of IW.

It’s hardly a surprise that Rafa beats him on clay.

Yes thats true ,it was always going to be a huge ask for Federer to win on clay.
    I thought he played fairly well in the first two sets ,backhand was not letting him down ,volleying was poor today though.

Who was the person that thought Tsistipas was the new "Guard" because he won a match a few matches at the Australian open?

Tsitsipas is clearly part of the new guard. He's the youngest player in the top 10 by over a year, has been consistently on the rise. He made the last 16 here, in line with his ranking and only losing to a three time GS champion. What more do you want from him before he can be part of the new guard?

Tsitsipas is clearly part of the new guard. He's the youngest player in the top 10 by over a year, has been consistently on the rise. He made the last 16 here, in line with his ranking and only losing to a three time GS champion. What more do you want from him before he can be part of the new guard?

I don’t class the “new guard” as much. Sasha, Tsitsi and Dom haven’t stepped up yet I’m my opinion.

How exactly will it be "very interesting" to see if he maintains his level on grass and hard court.

We already know he won't from the past 7 years and from the hard court earlier this year.

Nadal peaked in 2008-2013, he's 6 years past had best. It's unlikely he gets past the first week at Wimbledon and it,'s unlikely he wins any hard court tournaments this year. This is the same old boring story we've seen for the last 7 years. It's not interesting at all.

You know he got to the Wimbledon semifinal last year, losing 9-7 to Djokovic in one of their best matches, yes?

• Advertisement

I don’t class the “new guard” as much. Sasha, Tsitsi and Dom haven’t stepped up yet I’m my opinion.

Surely new is simply a matter of time and generations rather than success though. Will they be as good or successful as the big three? No. Or as good as Murray or Stan? Perhaps. They're definitely way more talented then Raonic, Cilic, Kyrgios etc.

Thiem an early break up. Complete collapse coming I expect.

Thiem an early break up. Complete collapse coming I expect.

Looks like it, will serve now for the 1st set.

tough conditions at RG.

Djokovic not handling them well so far and wants play stopped!

Looks like it, will serve now for the 1st set.

I'd still favour Nole but this makes it very interesting alright.

If thiem was to win, I don't think the final would be as one sided as some of their previous RG meetings.

as regards people bemoaning the lack of new generation grand slam winners the fact that sportspeople in certain sports and particularly in tennis have changed their mindset and motivation on retirement age and on age-ability to compete (barring injury).

people used say and players believed that you were pretty much finished at 30/32 in terms of winning grand slams. only Agassi to a certain extent proved that wrong before. that is obviously not the case as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have proven. Although Fed is probably finished now at GS winning level but still very competitive. this is a recent enough development.

these guys are obviously very exceptional players also so that mindset change coupled with sports science advances (smarter training, diet etc) has produced longevity not seen before with these exceptional players and meant that it has been harder for the younger guys to mark their mark.

the newer guys are not as exceptional as the out-going guys either so that is also a factor.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    tough conditions at RG.

Djokovic not handling them well so far and wants play stopped!

Yeah, his head is gone

Surely new is simply a matter of time and generations rather than success though. Will they be as good or successful as the big three? No. Or as good as Murray or Stan? Perhaps. They're definitely way more talented then Raonic, Cilic, Kyrgios etc.

I'd have Del potro, Raonic(Fit) above them with Cilic and a prime Tsonga at their level currently.

I feel it's a huge mental block for the nxtgens to Excell while the usual suspects are around cause maybe too much respect is shown.

It will be great to see Andy playing doubles at Queen's hopefully he doesn't rush it.

It will be great to see Andy playing doubles at Queen's hopefully he doesn't rush it.

is there any serious hope of Murray getting back to the highest level - not really seeing anything approaching that hope being expressed?

would love to see it but looks all rather like a ceremonial type return at this point - we'll see.

what happened Goffin - he used to be neck-and-neck with Thiem in the rankings.

down at 29/30 in the world now

glasso wrote: »
    what happened Goffin - he used to be neck-and-neck with Thiem in the rankings.

down at 29/30 in the world now

Injured his knee on clay 15 months ago hasn't gotten back there yet. Regarding Murray he's playing doubles in Queens and Wimbledon but possibly WC for Wimbledon depending on queens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement