Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 French Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Comfortable enough in the end for Osaka but she could and probably should have lost that so it doesnt bode well for a charge on the title i feel. Azarenka is not what she needs for a follow up, i think another close contest in store, not sure I fancy Osaka to hold sway there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Comfortable enough in the end for Osaka but she could and probably should have lost that so it doesnt bode well for a charge on the title i feel. Azarenka is not what she needs for a follow up, i think another close contest in store, not sure I fancy Osaka to hold sway there.

If Osaka plays like she did today Asarenka will beat her. Schmiedlová inexperience cost her today, Asarenka has the experience and will take her chances if she gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Floppybits wrote: »
    If Osaka plays like she did today Asarenka will beat her. Schmiedlová inexperience cost her today, Asarenka has the experience and will take her chances if she gets them.

Yeah, if osaka doesn't improve she isnt likely to beat Vika. Although i think she probably will. Still havent really figured naomi out yet. She looked proper clutch when beating Serena in queens, yet there was that major wobble against Kvitova in the final in melbourne and watching the highlights today, she looked very on edge at times mentally in the second set. I guess she's still young so you might expect that.

One thing she does have is a serve and thats a powerful weapon on the womens tour. It gets her out of trouble so many times and, outside of Serena, i dont think there's many better out there. Bertens possibly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Nike gear that Edmund was wearing yesterday was awful, who ever is designing that stuff is stealing a living.

It looks grand. Bit different, sure, but no biggie there.

Popular enough, as Nike have sent out a few players in the same garb. Khachanov in the mens and Garcia in the ladies to name but two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Out of all the next-gen players, Zverev is by far and away the most fustrating to watch. He has all the ability and weapons (seve, backhand, movement for a big man, even touch has improved) but can't seem to put it together and make a meaningful run at a GS. I don't know is it a mental issue or not, but you get the feeling that once he starts winning Grand Slams, he could win a few of them.

He's still young, give him a few years. It takes some players longer to put the pieces together.

• Advertisement

Ivo Karlović won today. At 40 he is the oldest player to win a match at a grand slam since Jimmy Connors in the US Open back in 1992. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Its easy when you have a serve like that though, none of Karlovic's matches are ever taxing. That serve can win matches on its own

Zverev is around a few years now, I don't think its at all unreasonable to expect him to be doing way better in Majors by now. I can't take him seriously as a top player until he starts doing it in the big events

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

If we are honest the standard of the tour has steadily declined with the injection of the Next Gens. I think it has anyway and the few big players have fell away with injuries

Harsh for Bertens I'd of had her in as a favourite.

Good start here by Vika. 4-0 lead in the first.

• Advertisement

Osaka starting to fire now. Serving at 5-3 to Vika, Osaka was 5-1 down.

Vika serving for the set. Cmonnnn

Vika takes the first set and has 2 break points at the start of the second. Vika needs a good start here to keep Osaka from getting a foothold in the match.

Osaka taking control now.

Vika now 4-2 up in the second. Come on Vika. She weathered the Osaka storm at the start of the second set.

Cirstea going out, and Osaka just about gone. Great day for women's tennis hahah

Big battle in this game on Vika serve. Either a 5-3 lead for Vika or 4-4.

4-4 now. think there were about 10 Deuce points in that game. Vika serves a double fault. :(

Big battle in this game on Vika serve. Either a 5-3 lead for Vika or 4-4.

Fight on now

4-4 now. think there were about 10 Deuce points in that game. Vika serves a double fault. :(

I'm split screening with Vika and Them game. Bublik showing some great heart

• Advertisement

5-5 now. The tension in this set is unreal.

Did Edmund retire?

Did Edmund retire?

Yeah 2 0 down

Think Vikas race is ran here.

The standard of this game is actually really bad

What shenanigans is going on here?

What shenanigans is going on here?

She took a toilet which was then a. mTO with out informing

Vika missing BP after BP here she is gonna get smashed this set I think

Vika is at self implosion stage so time to switch off.

• Advertisement

Well that was a disappointing end to the Vika/Osaka match. Had a feeling that Osaka would win the match when she won the second set. Vika had her chances in the second set and there was one game that had 10 or so dueces that I felt if she had won that she would have won the match.

Osaka though could step it up when she needed too. She put pressure on Vika's second serve by stepping up in the court, this seen Vika double fault twice a crucial stages.

Advertisement