Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 French Open

Options

Comments

Konta has a good chance of making the final now. The other side of the draw is much stronger and the winner will most likely come from there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Would definitely expect Konta to make the final on that showing. She'll be warm fav whomever she faces. 20-1 on her own serve in second set and point she lost was a df. That's seriously I impressive by any standard. Sloane can put in the odd stinker but she was simp!y blasted away today, not a lot she could do about it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Death, taxes and Kei Nishikori rolling over for Rafael Nadal.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd actually have more faith in Federer beating Nadal than I would Wawrinka. Incredibly, this will just be their second match on clay since they last met at RG eight years ago. Nadal hasn't beaten Federer in over five years, so Federer will probably never have a better chance of beating him at RG than this. Has the potential to be interesting, but I can't see past The Balding One winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Federer has done well to get this far, can't see him getting any further.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Federer has done well to get this far, can't see him getting any further.

I think he really tests Rafa here. He needs to play the waiting game with him where so many fail

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I dunno. I think after so many years Rafa will be out to prove a point. I think we're gonna see some savagery from him in this semi.

If on form Roger from the last few weeks shows up then I give him a set but only that. He looked tired today while Rafa has had it easy so far. Once Rafa decides enough is enough that'll be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Nadal is 1/10 with most bookies

Federer may take a set at best but in fairness it's been a very positive tournament for him regardless. He may take a bit of beating at Wimbledon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You couldn't really bet against Nadal.

As it is rumoured to be Fed's last appearance at RG then I suppose it might as well be his old rival that knocks him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Halep in trouble a set down and 4-2 down in the second.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    Halep in trouble a set down and 4-2 down in the second.

If she holds for 5 5 now she wins the set I think

Well done anisimova , Halep and Keys gone in straight sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Havea bet with one of the lads that Fed takes no more than 9 games off Nadal.

What really hahah. You bets lost

Oh Halep. Ah well, Amanda played great. Hoping for an Anisimova-Konta final now.

Well its not that outlandish to be fair

Might only require Nadal to break Federer 4 times all match, out of potentially 13 service games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Federer only won 4 games in the 2008 final. Almost 40 years old now.
    I wouldn't think it's that unlikely tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

6-3 6-3 6-3 is that outlandish? Really?

This will surprisingly be Djokovic and Zverev's first meeting at a slam. H2h is 2-2, with Zverev winning the last one and their only clay meeting. Having said that, I think this'll be pretty routine for Djokovic, but who knows.

Zverev will serve for the set

Interesting start

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Zverev will serve for the set

Interesting start

And ends up losing the set 7-5. Zverev...

Capitulation from Sasha.

And ends up losing the set 7-5. Zverev...

Yep and basically had his teeth in every Djokovic service game in that set - I think basically all went to deuce, with plenty BP chances missed too

How frustrating

Worth mentioning this will be Thiem's 4th French Open semi in a row. Great going by him

I assume this is the first time in yonks a non-big 4 player has reached 4 consecutive semis in the same major tournament?

Even the big 4 guys don't do it as much anymore.

Murray made 4 consecutive semis here between 2014 and 2017
    Djokovic last did it at US Open 2016
    Nadal French Open 2014
    Federer I can't even remember

Serving for the first set at 5-4, Zverev only manages to win another 4 games in the whole match. Annihilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Zverev flattters to deceive again. Something mentally blocking Zverev from taking the next step. The first 4 service games of the first set Djokovice was struggling in each one and Zverev couldn't take advantage and then he losses the set serving 3 doubles faults. He needs to see a sports psychologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

The big 3 are all 32 or over and are still dominating.

Back in the 90's early 00's 32 was considered to be ancient for a tennis player and most top players were well gone by then.

Shows how great and unbelievably competitive the 3 of them are that they are still the best players in the world after all these years.

While its amazing what they're still doing in their 30s, the world of sport is light-years away from the early 00s tbf

Sport science has evolved so much, and people are simply looking after themselves much better

Most top level sports have players excelling well into their 30s anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

jr86 wrote: »
    While its amazing what they're still doing in their 30s, the world of sport is light-years away from the early 00s tbf

Sport science has evolved so much, and people are simply looking after themselves much better

Most top level sports have players excelling well into their 30s anymore

They're not merely excelling though they're dominating and I'd say Tennis is a bit harder than most other sports to keep going at long term due to it being an individual sport and the schedule and amount of travel involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

They're not merely excelling though they're dominating and I'd say Tennis is a bit harder than most other sports to keep going at long term due to it being an individual sport and the schedule and amount of travel involved.

what it says to me is that, ok, the top 3 are all time greats, but we may need to re-evaluate the quality of the lads who filled out the rest of the top 10 behind them when they were in their prime.
    Its hard not to come to the conclusion that, say, tjonga or ferrer were better than all of the current under 30 gang. and some of those gang are going to win a lot of slams...

hard not to see nadal cleaning federers clock again tomorrow
    and hard to see thiem getting the better of djokovic, though it will be closer.

Advertisement