Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

profit for dairy leased land

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »
    Up front answer in fairness..

It makes sense though for someone who can establish payments on this clean ground and it will converge towards the average.

In effect you are collecting some of his new payment also..

This is why I suggest, that as long as there are 2 people interested in the ground, the landlord will always recieve the BP...maybe not all, but certainly the higher share of it..

And while the landlord recieved the BP, the tenant will just have to get over it...sure it mightn't be too long before the tenant becomes the landlord..

Or he is collecting some of my payment, after all I own the entitlement.
    As for the land that I set without the entitlement, I'm getting a percentage of HIS entitlements and a percentage of the entitlements that I've rented out.
    It's rented to someone that would've got no subsidy for the last few years if I hadn't been so generous :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭alps

wrangler wrote: »
    Or he is collecting some of my payment, after all I own the entitlement.
    As for the land that I set without the entitlement, I'm getting a percentage of HIS entitlements and a percentage of the entitlements that I've rented out.
    It's rented to someone that would've got no subsidy for the last few years if I hadn't been so generous :rolleyes: :D

Exactly.....and this is why the payment will continue to go to the landlord..its a pointless arguement otherwise..

As long as their is a link to the Ha of land, the landlord will get it.

Can the whole thing start from scratch again and link it in some way to the output of a farmer? Hardly...but it would be the only way of directing a payment to the producer and not the landlord..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »
    Exactly.....and this is why the payment will continue to go to the landlord..its a pointless arguement otherwise..

As long as their is a link to the Ha of land, the landlord will get it.

Can the whole thing start from scratch again and link it in some way to the output of a farmer? Hardly...but it would be the only way of directing a payment to the producer and not the landlord..

The rents will reflect the income available on the land whether the money comes from product price or subsidy. EU is unlikely to go back to subsidising production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm paying nice money plus giving back all his entitlements which are low value. He was getting disadvantage which he wont now as my home place has it. Hes getting similar money to wranglers, but it's one big field where I can spread slurry on the 15th of january if needs be.

They lease is up after 5 years so, if the system changes hel be looking for more rent I'd imagine of his entitlements are lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

kevthegaff wrote: »
    They lease is up after 5 years so, if the system changes hel be looking for more rent I'd imagine of his entitlements are lost

Depends on how you look at it but the value of the entitlements is effectively rent. He might own them but they're worthless without you activating them on the land he's leased you.

If I understand correctly department pays you and you pay him, I'm sure this is accounted for in your accounts as rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm paying nice money plus giving back all his entitlements which are low value. He was getting disadvantage which he wont now as my home place has it. Hes getting similar money to wranglers, but it's one big field where I can spread slurry on the 15th of january if needs be.

With the next round of CAP entitlements will do verge towards the national average. At a guess they will all be in a price range of 200-500 by 2025. The greening element which is about 30% will not be automatically ensured as green by definition especially for farmer with derogations may be changed. This will reduce rental costs but also reduce EU payments.

The market will have to return more to keep milk production viable

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Cant really help OP on costs but young farmers will always find it hard to compete for land with established farmers ( have cows, good facilities etc). Around here any new land ( scarce ) is taken for zerograzing, silage, rearing heifers or just having an eye on nitrates issues in future by already sizable setups. Plenty subs, grants for buildings is keeping beef farming going ( including myself ) and supply of land down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Its cheap really,set up a nice simple one show with 250 cows and followers . Alot easier than hardship here with land all over the place tight gaps,small roads,steep hills and bogey corners a d higher rainfall. Not a place id buy but a long term lease would be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

K.G. wrote: »
    Its cheap really,set up a nice simple one show with 250 cows and followers . Alot easier than hardship here with land all over the place tight gaps,small roads,steep hills and bogey corners a d higher rainfall. Not a place id buy but a long term lease would be ok

Sounds like there’s salt water underneath. So what would the bill for mains water cost for that size of a dairy farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

Life is too short, hard enough to make a good living on my own land than be paying a big lease. As well. House is getting old, are the Slats replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Life is too short, hard enough to make a good living on my own land than be paying a big lease. As well. House is getting old, are the Slats replaced.

Half of them are broken as far as I'm.aware
    The water table there would be very close to the surface, I don't know how you'd graze it during spring and autumn

Not worth what price has being talked about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭straight

Wasnt that place up to lease recently enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

4km from the sea and being protected by a pumping station.

What the crack with that. Why would opw be doing that and at what cost ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Sounds like there’s salt water underneath. So what would the bill for mains water cost for that size of a dairy farm.

€1.30 per 1000 litres used is the standardized charge that irish water use for farms, ballpark you would be using around 17000 litres a day of a average alot higher in summer could be up over 30000 litres a day, around 6-8 k a year for water charges ballpark, but then you have the issue of low pressure flagged in that article so your going to need a savage reserve in place by having a huge buffer tank and rainwater harvesting, easily another 15k their to put it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Cant see that yard passing a cross compliance inspection, the neck of wanting 220 plus a acre rent and to retain the 60 odd k of entitlements and expect the tenant to fix the place up to standard and maintain it is a pisstake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

_Brian wrote: »

Big farm in Donegal that was sold a few years ago had the same setup pretty much lowering the water table to allow it to be farmed I would think . Would land like that not be very fertile anyone know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If anyone's been to the Bannow show it's on the land side of the showgrounds.
    The famous saying is it never rains on show down there and they have their own microclimate like Buford in Kazakhstan.

It would be great early ground and probably best suited for grass. If tillage guys like gtm above suggested are out then the next best offers could be from dairy farms in the area which are few and far between. There is a few though could be interested even for silage ground.

I was down in Bridgetown last week and livestock are gone scarce with straw bales on fields all over.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »

There's a big area there protected from the sea.
    If you Google maps Cullenstown, Co.wexford and follow the waterway back to Bridgetown that was all manmade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Ah lads 70 year old milking 220 cows and his son milking 160 on a leased block farming near here are doing a swap.the son is coming home to milk 300 + cows and the old fella is retiring to milk the 160.what s wrong with ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭straight

Ah lads 70 year old milking 220 cows and his son milking 160 on a leased block farming near here are doing a swap.the son is coming home to milk 300 + cows and the old fella is retiring to milk the 160.what s wrong with ye

Poor owl creature knows nothing else after devoting his life to the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

straight wrote: »

And probably paying the tax man well for the privilege

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Grueller

And probably paying the tax man well for the privilege

Only if he is actually making a profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Big farm in Donegal that was sold a few years ago had the same setup pretty much lowering the water table to allow it to be farmed I would think . Would land like that not be very fertile anyone know ?

Sounds like Inch island - basically the Donegal version of the Wexford Slobs

I suppose u could say it was better than another cause :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Stockholm Syndrome i think it’s called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Institutionalised Dairying

Advertisement