Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Sarah Jay?

"Jaysus".

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

"Jaysus".

God I cant stand listening to Claire Byrne on today. I preferred Sarah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I’m pretty sure the Simpsons pizza boy delivered the 12 midnight news just there. To say it was the worst rte news delivery ever puts it mildly . Christ it was brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Just missed it. Are you sure it wasn't Homer?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure the Simpsons pizza boy delivered the 12 midnight news just there. To say it was the worst rte news delivery ever puts it mildly . Christ it was brutal
    I just listened to the 1am bulletin. It sounded like they had dragged someone off the street who had a few drinks on them to read the bulletin. It was truly awful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bureau2009

AJB39 wrote: »
    I just listened to the 1am bulletin. It sounded like they had dragged someone off the street who had a few drinks on them to read the bulletin. It was truly awful!
    Anybody got a link? Would be interested to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Heard it also - is it a new newsreader? I felt bad for him. You just wanted it to end and then he did the weather & that was as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Anybody got a link? Would be interested to hear it.

If you find Late Date on the RTÉ Radio Player for Sunday August 30th you can listen to both the Midnight and 1 am news bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I've noticed that the standard of late night newsreaders is not great. The established newsreaders won't do this overnight shift. The people who do will probably never be put on the earlier shifts.

In fairness the main RTE Radio 1 newsreaders do a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

ITV2 wrote: »

Either a scratch on the record or he was nervous:D

It did sound a bit sub local radio tbh.

There is an English accented newsreader who does the late night radio news sometimes.
    Bob something maybe?

He makes me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Red Fred

imme wrote: »

There is an English accented newsreader who does the late night radio news sometimes.
    Bob something maybe?

He makes me smile.

Think you are referring to Nick Adams. He used to read news on 98FM in its early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

RTE lads thats shocking RTE like , you would give out if it was local radio in lietrim but rte...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Red Fred wrote: »
    Think you are referring to Nick Adams. He used to read news on 98FM in its early days.

Noel Fogarty also is a regular Newsreader Overnights

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

Do RTE not pre-record the news at that hour of the night / morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

imme wrote: »
    Either a scratch on the record or he was nervous:D

It did sound a bit sub local radio tbh.

Bob something maybe?

He makes me smile.

Nick Adams is the English accented newsreader. Unless there's another one now. Nick has a very pleasant tone.

I can't see any info about him, such as where he broadcast from before.

Do RTE not pre-record the news at that hour of the night / morning ?

I don't think they prerecord the news in the early hours.

What if Malta was to invade Croatia and you lead with the Christmas message from an t-Uachtaran. :D

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Nick Adams is the English accented newsreader. Unless there's another one now. Nick has a very pleasant tone.

I can't see any info about him, such as where he broadcast from before.

I think this is Nick Adams the newsreader

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0011245/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr109

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Other Changes on the way on RTÉ Radio 1 ?

Well I often wonder how long more Joe Duffy will want to occupy the chair on LiveLine as there must be some days when it's hard to keep listeners engaged. I gather he has been off to concentrate on another series which some have speculated might be "The Meaning of Life" which the late Gay Byrne had hosted although; this has not been confirmed.

Will the Ray D'Arcy Show and Ryan Tubridy shows continue as is? Perhaps all other changes will apply to the weekend schedule?

Other programmes likely to resume may include all or some of following:

(1) "The Late Debate" on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night at 10pm due back once the Dáil resumes?
    (2) Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadhra at 1:00pm?
    (3) Restoration of final 30 minutes segment on "Drivetime with Mary Wilson" which was cut short since "Des Cahill's Island Discs series began during the Coronavirus pandemic..So strange when major news developments were breaking live on Drivetime that they still had to go to Des's Island Discs! It's the national radio station!
    (4) Return of "Callan's Kicks" (Oliver Callan) on Friday evenings at 6:30pm?
    (5) More hours of sport covered in the weekend radio schedule ?

Callan subbed for Ryan Tubrjdg during the summer. The man is a genius. Yes, more of Callan’s Kicks please

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not getting the Sarah & Cormac Ó hEadhra combo on drive time, Sarah did a tremendous job in the morning slot but Cormac is just, well pretty hard to listen too. Mary Wilson move to morning Ireland also very odd albeit her drive time show was tired & dated, Dr Gavin must feel somewhat overlooked, first Dobo and now Mary Wilson getting all the headlines on morning ireland. During lockdown I found myself watching on News Now, it's comedy gold and its as of the presenters are not Awre they are live on TV also, Dobson at 1 o clock seems a good move. Just amazed Ray D'Arcy not moved to some obscure late time slot, just an awful show that's all about him really, just a very odd show, thankfully at a time I'd rarely come across it. I've line remains and no doubting it's going to be as painful as ever, I think Oliver Callan would be a good choice on liveline.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

When does Drivetime get its new presenters; anybody know please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

RTE announce a reshuffle for radio 1 but don't tell us the date of when the new hosts start on drive time for example, what kind of Mickey Mouse organization is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

When does Drivetime get its new presenters; anybody know please?

Sooner the better. Anyone would be better than PHilip Boucher Hayes? Anyone hear him have a go at Jack Chambers during the week? It degenerated to something akin to a headmaster admonishing a school pupil. Awful to have to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not getting the Sarah & Cormac Ó hEadhra combo on drive time, Sarah did a tremendous job in the morning slot but Cormac is just, well pretty hard to listen too. Mary Wilson move to morning Ireland also very odd albeit her drive time show was tired & dated, Dr Gavin must feel somewhat overlooked, first Dobo and now Mary Wilson getting all the headlines on morning ireland. During lockdown I found myself watching on News Now, it's comedy gold and its as of the presenters are not Awre they are live on TV also, Dobson at 1 o clock seems a good move. Just amazed Ray D'Arcy not moved to some obscure late time slot, just an awful show that's all about him really, just a very odd show, thankfully at a time I'd rarely come across it. I've line remains and no doubting it's going to be as painful as ever, I think Oliver Callan would be a good choice on liveline.

I agree with your sentiments about Ray D'arcy. He is painful to listen to and should be moved to a night time slot. I can not understand how he can command such a salary from Licence Fee payers.The current presenter of Drivetime Philip Boucher Hayse is I think absolutely superb razor sharp intellect ( although can be over exuberant at times such as his relentless grilling of Jack Chambers.) Never the less I think hes fully in charge of his brief.

Sarah and Cormac start new Drivetime on Monday. I copped this by looking at the player schedule. Haven’t heard it announced but it might have been by PBH yesterday. I’ve never bothered listening to it before but will certainly give it a go, based on Sarah’s performance on the Today Show. (Which I don’t listen to at all now it’s been dumbed down)

There is a promo running for the new show....sounds very hyper and not great sound quality!

Or whatever the 'new' 1pm Saturday show is called is in its second week.

Last week they played a promo in the morning.

It was portraying Katie as a ceaseless seeker of truth and justice, she won't give up, ever, or some such drivel. :pac:

The show is the exact same as the one it has replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Just listening to the radio there and the same newsreader on again. I know its another Saturday night but is nobody in RTE listening and making a decision that this guy's talents lie elsewhere.

Actually feel sorry for him but pictured him with his finger underneath every word and stumbling over every 2nd word. Also called the Taoiseach Micheal Vradakar - I am sure this wasnt in the script.

It really is not fair on him or the listener

Clon63 wrote: »
    Just listening to the radio there and the same newsreader on again. I know its another Saturday night but is nobody in RTE listening and making a decision that this guy's talents lie elsewhere.

Actually feel sorry for him but pictured him with his finger underneath every word and stumbling over every 2nd word. Also called the Taoiseach Micheal Vradakar - I am sure this wasnt in the script.

:D

• Advertisement

Clon63 wrote: »

He's on again reading the news this morning.
    Truly shocking.
    He must know someone in RTE who got him the gig.
    I'm sure many better newsreaders were declined the job in favour of him

Advertisement