Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Ughh McNerny on Drivetime. Thought Wilson was very good, enjoyed listening to a mix of Yates, herself and Cooper.

Now Cooper is the only listenable option and it's still hit and miss with the likes of gannon and roe mcdermott on there sometimes.

Not a fan of McNerny, feels like she's doing a show rather than having a conversation with people.

I am actually the opposite - been with Cooper all the time but I liked Sarah during the Today Show stint & I might jump from TodayFM to RTE, will listen to both for a while (mix of podcasts and live radio)

I would have liked to see a shake up of the schedule, like move things around a bit? Not sure what and where at the moment, but I think a shake up of Tubs, Ronan Collins, Liveline, Ray Darcy would be interesting and maybe the Today Show with Claire Byrne moving to 11:30am to 1:30pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Happy enough to see Aine Lawlor back though, always liked her in that slot before.
    Me too. Competent, skilled and engaging interviewer. Was excellent also on 1 o'clock news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Me too. Competent, skilled and engaging interviewer. Was excellent also on 1 o'clock news.

I've liked her on everything, bar that Down on the farm rubbish she did. Loved waking up in the morning to herself and David Hanly on the radio back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

So the current affairs lineup on Irish Radio is:

Early Morning (6am-7am)
    6am Newstalk: Breakfast Briefing
    6:30am Newstalk: Breakfast Business with Vincent Wall

Morning (7am-9am)
    7am Morning Ireland with Mary Wilson Rachael English Audrey Carville & Gavin Jennings
    7am Newstalk: Breakfast with Ciara Kelly & Shane Coleman

Mid-Morning
    10am RTE: Today with Claire Byrne
    9am Newstalk: Pat Kenny Show

Lunch time
    1pm RTE: News at one with Bryan Dobson
    12pm Newstalk: Lunchtime Live with Andrea Gilligan

Drive Time
    RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney and Cormac Ó hEadhra
    Newstalk: The Hard Shoulder with Kieran Cuddihy
    TodayFM: The Last Word with Matt Cooper

Evening
    10pm Late Debate with Katie Hannon

Saturday
    8am Newstalk Breakfast with Susan Keogh
    10am Newstalk Down to Business with Bobby Kerr
    10am RTE The Business with Richard Curran
    1pm Saturday with Katie Hannon

Sunday
    10am Newstalk Taking Stock with Vincent Wall
    11am On the Record with Gavin Reilly
    1pm This Week David McCullagh, Carole Coleman and Justin McCarthy.

Looking at that in my opinion
    Early Morning: No opposition to Newstalk from 6am to 7am
    Morning: The morning Ireland crew will wipe the floor with Ciara Kelly. I feel sorry for Shane Coleman being tied to a sinking ship.
    Mid-Morning: Pat Kenny unopposed from 9am to 10am but then Claire Byrne will win that battle.
    Lunch Time: I think Andrea Gilligan is good but Ciara Kelly killed that slot with her inability to talk about anything but health and wellbeing. Andrea had a big job to rebuild listeners and now with Brian Dobson in that slot RTE will be impossible to topple.
    Drivetime slot is shaping up to be a ding dong battle. I think Sarah McInerney and Cormac Ó hEadhra will be formidable and win that for RTE.
    Evening: No competition to Late Debate. Newstalk desperately need to move Tom Dunne to Today FM where his 90s Irish CD collection belongs.
    Saturday & Sunday: Newstalk have the edge in the morning with only Richard Curran and "The Business" winning his slot. Brendan O'Connor is dead weight dragging the RTE weekend schedule down. But then amazingly Newstalk concede the airwaves at 1pm. But that said It's hard to beat long established shows like "This Week" and "Saturday".

RTE lack a good daily business show. They should tap Shane Coleman to jump ship on that one if he would do 6am-7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Someone in RTE is trolling the country

Sarah Mc on drive time. Christ all mighty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

robo wrote: »
    maybe the Today Show with Claire Byrne moving to 11:30am to 1:30pm?

Absolutely Not.
    Ronan Collins, or music from an established music presenter from 12 Noon - 1 pm is essential for RTE Radio 1.
    News at 1 is nicely timed too...

...RTE Radio 1 is not Newstalk !!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Interesting comment from Clare Byrne. According to journal.ie said that the Cliden dinner “should not have gone ahead” but that it is a “sensitive issue” because of her friendship with O’Rourke.

“I’m really reluctant to talk about individuals, because of the position that I hold now on the one hand, on the other hand, you know, I’ve known Sean for a long time.

He’s been through a difficult time and I don’t think anything that I will say will help his situation at the moment, and what he’s going through, so I’m going to leave that one there."

Interesting comment from Clare Byrne. According to journal.ie said that the Cliden dinner “should not have gone ahead” but that it is a “sensitive issue” because of her friendship with O’Rourke.

“I’m really reluctant to talk about individuals, because of the position that I hold now on the one hand, on the other hand, you know, I’ve known Sean for a long time.

He’s been through a difficult time and I don’t think anything that I will say will help his situation at the moment, and what he’s going through, so I’m going to leave that one there."

Both from Laois. Maybe S O'R had a part in getting CB into RTE??

Either way, I wonder if her comments mean it would be difficult for her to interview him as thoroughly as the likes of Sarah McInerney would.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think Sean is from Galway or at least grew up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Why is a standard daily news show being described with a presenters name? "RTÉ News at One with Bryan Dobson" Public Service News should be about the news not the presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Very surprised to get rid of Mary Wilson at this stage. She should have been gotten rid of years ago, what's the point now, and what's the point in putting her on the morning show instead?

Was any reason given for moving her, for what is surely a demotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Morning Ireland is the most listened to show on irish radio so I'm not sure it's that much of a demotion. Maybe having to co-host could be considered a drop, not sure, but she'll be as near doubling her listenership at that hour so that would be some compensation at least.

Morning Ireland is the most listened to show on irish radio so I'm not sure it's that much of a demotion. Maybe having to co-host could be considered a drop, not sure, but she'll be as near doubling her listenership at that hour so that would be some compensation at least.

That's very relevant. Thanks. Although, her interview skills on important subjects are well placed on current affairs shows. She talked about redefining the show with Cormac so hopefully we'll see more of what we've seen recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

by Cormac you mean Shouty McShouty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

touts wrote: »
    So the current affairs lineup on Irish Radio is:

Early Morning (6am-7am)
    6am Newstalk: Breakfast Briefing
    6:30am Newstalk: Breakfast Business with Vincent Wall

Morning (7am-9am)
    7am Morning Ireland with Mary Wilson Rachael English Audrey Carville & Gavin Jennings
    7am Newstalk: Breakfast with Ciara Kelly & Shane Coleman

Mid-Morning
    10am RTE: Today with Claire Byrne
    9am Newstalk: Pat Kenny Show

Lunch time
    1pm RTE: News at one with Bryan Dobson
    12pm Newstalk: Lunchtime Live with Andrea Gilligan

Drive Time
    RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney and Cormac Ó hEadhra
    Newstalk: The Hard Shoulder with Kieran Cuddihy
    TodayFM: The Last Word with Matt Cooper

Evening
    10pm Late Debate with Katie Hannon

Saturday
    10am Newstalk Down to Business with Bobby Kerr
    10am RTE The Business with Richard Curran
    1pm Saturday with Katie Hannon

Sunday
    10am Newstalk Taking Stock with Vincent Wall
    11am On the Record with Gavin Reilly
    1pm This Week David McCullagh, Carole Coleman and Justin McCarthy.

Looking at that in my opinion
    Early Morning: No opposition to Newstalk from 6am to 7am
    Morning: The morning Ireland crew will wipe the floor with Ciara Kelly. I feel sorry for Shane Coleman being tied to a sinking ship.
    Mid-Morning: Pat Kenny unopposed from 9am to 10am but then Claire Byrne will win that battle.
    Lunch Time: I think Andrea Gilligan is good but Ciara Kelly killed that slot with her inability to talk about anything but health and wellbeing. Andrea had a big job to rebuild listeners and now with Brian Dobson in that slot RTE will be impossible to topple.
    Drivetime slot is shaping up to be a ding dong battle. I think Sarah McInerney and Cormac Ó hEadhra will be formidable and win that for RTE.
    Evening: No competition to Late Debate. Newstalk desperately need to move Tom Dunne to Today FM where his 90s Irish CD collection belongs.
    Saturday & Sunday: Newstalk have the edge in the morning with only Richard Curran and "The Business" winning his slot. Brendan O'Connor is dead weight dragging the RTE weekend schedule down. But then amazingly Newstalk concede the airwaves at 1pm. But that said It's hard to beat long established shows like "This Week" and "Saturday".

RTE lack a good daily business show. They should tap Shane Coleman to jump ship on that one if he would do 6am-7am.

I'd share most of your observations in that comprehensive post.
    I am also amazed RTÉ Radio 1 did not see the merits in an earlier start to it's daily news/business/current affairs when it's closest speech-driven national rival opens an hour beforehand with it's 06:00am "Breakfast Briefing" to be followed by it's "Breakfast Business" slot at 06:30am. The national broadcaster has RTÉ lyric fm, 2fm, RTÉ RnaG along with it's digital radio stations (still on the air) if folk want music played at that hour on RTÉ Radio.

I think they should have better balance on Morning Ireland following the staff reshuffle (i.e.) 2 male & 2 female presenters on rotation, now you have 1 male & 3 female? Why so?

I wonder if Brian Jennings will return as newscaster on the revamped RTÉ News at One with Bryan Dobson? In recent years we've had multiple presenters in the slot whereas it had been Sean O'Rourke with Gavin Jennings as relief presenter pre-2013. Before this I think it was Shane Kenny who was there when RTÉ Radio 1's lunchtime news switched from the old "News at One Thirty" to the "News at One" a change which also ensured that it became a much longer programme. If I recall the tea-time news bulletin had been the "News at Six-Thirty" for many years.

RTÉ's Business News coverage on weekdays seems to be snippets here and there with Brian Finn & Company. They definitely need to up their game on weekday radio alright. I'm not sure Shane Coleman would jump at working at RTÉ unless he had similar control and superior remuneration package. I've not heard Shane ever covering Business on NewsTalk as he strikes me as more focused on political developments/current affairs. Possible contenders for such a role might come from one of these individuals:
    Robert Short, Richard Curran, George Lee, David Murphy, John Murray etc;

Sat/Sun 11:00am-1:00pm slot (which the late Marian Finucane had owned) currently presented by Brendan O'Connor will take time to bed in although; Brendan had often replaced Marian on annual leave in the past. Not sure if they got this one right.

Today with Claire Byrne weekdays from 10:00am-12noon has yet to impress me having tuned in several times since she commenced. Sarah performed well when you consider much of her time would have been with the Dáil in recess.

If RTÉ had originally intended to have Sean O'Rourke do Saturdays, I wonder could they still not look towards other retired staff such as: David Davin-Power, Cathal McCoille, Richard Crowley, Charlie Bird...

Not sure if "Drivetime with Sarah McInerney and  Cormac Ó hEadhra" now has two co-presenters alongside each other or if it's a case of Sarah or Cormac presenting on a given weekday?
    What happens Philip Boucher-Hayes who used deputise for Mary Wilson on Drivetime?
    Did Brian Dowling retire from RTÉ?

As for The Tom Dunne Show on NewsTalk - it makes little sense as NewsTalk's signal is not ideal for listening to music. I would have thought that sister station Today fm would have been better suited. I still recall "Late Night Live with Declan Carty" on NewsTalk which was an enjoyable live phone-in show on weeknights after Off The Ball - later Marc Coleman had a live mid-week evening slot and there was also a show on Sunday nights back in the day. NewsTalk was far better when it first went national in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ah, poor Sean, god help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Demotion for Mary Wilson? She certainly lacks appeal and listenability.

Mary Wilson is an excellent broadcaster. Sarah Mc Inerney may have the intellectual and debating ability but her voice is not perfect. I hope Ray Darcy and Tubridy would take early retirement.

AJB39 wrote: »
    No mention of Rachael English or Audrey Carville either?
    Both excellent broadcasters. Rachel sounds so likeable and Audrey a little posh.One or was it both stood in for Marian F a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Sarah Mc Inerney may have the intellectual and debating ability

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe.

She has the emotional intelligence of a brick.

She cannot string coherent sentences together.

She just shouts over guests like a spoiled child.

Intellectual debating ability ? Are you for real?

• Advertisement

^^^^ Well, clearly, everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that Sarah McInerney is a breath of fresh air on RTÉ, and I’m glad that she’s going to be on the drive time Show. I occasionally listen to Matt Cooper, but that’s got so stale, formulaic and woke, instead of just turning the radio off, I will now tune to RTÉ Radio 1.

She’s bright, articulate, speaks clearly and has a personality. In my opinion.

It’s a cheap shot to label her as you have done. Again, that’s just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Changes?

I think Sarah is a great broadcaster. She perseveres and asks the hard questions when others like Claire Byrne might toe the line ( who I never warmed to) might pull back.

I think Sarah's downfall may be her voice. I think she can appear hesitant or appear to lack gravitas. Other RTE presenters have an edge on her over this like Mary Wilson who has a stronger Radio voice. That's just my impression.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I think Sarah is a great broadcaster. She perseveres and asks the hard questions when others like Claire Byrne might toe the line ( who I never warmed to) might pull back.

I think Sarah's downfall may be her voice. I think she can appear hesitant of appear to lack gravitas. Other RTE presenters have an edge on her over this like Mary Wilson who has a stronger Radio voice. That's just my impression.

Yes her voice grates on me after a while.

I can't quite explain why. It's like her voice is so deep is vibrates everything :pac:

You'd wonder why they'd need a roster of 5 for a 90 minute show. Plus, I've heard both Catriona Perry and Samantha Libreri presenting it just in the past couple of weeks. I know it's holiday season, but still. Happy enough to see Aine Lawlor back though, always liked her in that slot before.

If Joe Duffy can manage(often poorly) 75 minutes on his own, surely Catriona Perry could do 90 minutes in her sleep?

Is Drivetime going to be a double show with Sarah McInerney and  Cormac Ó hEadhra?
    ...or is it each a week on week off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is Drivetime going to be a double show with Sarah McInerney and  Cormac Ó hEadhra?
    ...or is it each a week on week off?

Saw a little clip on twitter and she mentioned it'll be a new show with people who haven't worked with each other before. I took this to mean that they will be on together.

dulpit wrote: »
    Saw a little clip on twitter and she mentioned it'll be a new show with people who haven't worked with each other before. I took this to mean that they will be on together.

Oh so Mary Wilson is gone from Drivetime I enjoyed he headmistress voice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I know I'm a little bit biased as a Galwegian but I think Cormac and Sarah Jay will be an ideal combination for Drivetime.
    Sorry Judge Judy, it's not you it's me.

• Advertisement

I know I'm a little bit biased as a Galwegian but I think Cormac and Sarah Jay will be an ideal combination for Drivetime.
    Sorry Judge Judy, it's not you it's me.

Sarah Jay?

Advertisement