Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changes to RTE Radio 1

Options
  • 20-08-2020 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭

Apart from CB moving to "Today with.." show, who else is moving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Apart from CB moving to "Today with.." show, who else is moving?

Well I would love to hear Sarah McInerney in another current affairs slot. Her "Jaysus" comment this morning really captured the national mood and will make it into reeling in the years yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Other Changes on the way on RTÉ Radio 1 ?

Well I often wonder how long more Joe Duffy will want to occupy the chair on LiveLine as there must be some days when it's hard to keep listeners engaged. I gather he has been off to concentrate on another series which some have speculated might be "The Meaning of Life" which the late Gay Byrne had hosted although; this has not been confirmed.

Will the Ray D'Arcy Show and Ryan Tubridy shows continue as is? Perhaps all other changes will apply to the weekend schedule?

Other programmes likely to resume may include all or some of following:

(1) "The Late Debate" on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday night at 10pm due back once the Dáil resumes?
    (2) Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadhra at 1:00pm?
    (3) Restoration of final 30 minutes segment on "Drivetime with Mary Wilson" which was cut short since "Des Cahill's Island Discs series began during the Coronavirus pandemic..So strange when major news developments were breaking live on Drivetime that they still had to go to Des's Island Discs! It's the national radio station!
    (4) Return of "Callan's Kicks" (Oliver Callan) on Friday evenings at 6:30pm?
    (5) More hours of sport covered in the weekend radio schedule ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Baron Gerry Adams to get his own advice show.

People ring him up:
    -What should I study in college Gerry

-I witnessed a) a robbery
    b) a murder
    c) a miscarriage of justice
    Should I go to the Gardai Gerry.

It could happen.:pac:

We also know that Sarah McInerney will form part of RTÉ Radio 1 in the schedule and I would be surprised if she does not slot-in as part of a political/current affairs/news programme following her success doing mid-morning show since Sean O'Rourke retired last May. Maybe she will end up on Morning Ireland if a vacancy arises, the News at One or perhaps This Week? If I recall she has previously done "The Late Debate" so will expect to be promoted I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

imme wrote: »
    Baron Gerry Adams to get his own advice show.

People ring him up:
    -What should I study in college Gerry

-I witnessed a) a robbery
    b) a murder
    c) a miscarriage of justice
    Should I go to the Gardai Gerry.

It could happen.:pac:
    Needs to test the waters on a regional first. Perhaps BBC radio Foyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Other Changes on the way on RTÉ Radio 1 ?

(2) Saturday with Cormac Ó hEadhra at 1:00pm?

Looks like he was all set to lose his slot to Sean O'Rourke... thankfully thats now in serious doubt

Pete2k wrote: »
    Looks like he was all set to lose his slot to Sean O'Rourke... thankfully thats now in serious doubt

I was surprised to hear Brendan O'Connor mention this proposal today, that Sean O'Rourke would present a 1-hour Saturday 1pm radio show.

The slot has been floating around for many years.

Cormac O'hEadhra and his predecessors are all quite forgettable.

What did they in mind that retired Sean O'Rourke could bring to the slot?

I understand that Sean O'Rourke was said to have expressed some regret via twitter although; he was one of those invited over the airwaves to come on the air on "Today with Sarah McInerney" show before the weekend but the request seems to have fallen on deaf ears. The Saturday 1-2pm slot for news & current affairs was not due to resume until after mid-September which would coincide with the return of the Dáil session after such a strange Summer 2020 thanks to Coronavirus. Not sure if the Saturday programme will be returning earlier than intended in the event of the Dáil back sooner. The slot has had numerous presenters unlike the old days when it had been called "Saturday View" with one anchor in the form of Rodney Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

I guess Opus Dei had approved the move to the Saturday slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I could easily see them trimming half an hour off Ballsy's show without too much of an outcry.

Some of the filler in that second hour is pretty shameless most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Confirmed now that O'Rourke isn't coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He is having a period of reflection. He'll be back next year, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

He'll be a long time looking in the mirror. He'll probably end up writing for The Mirror actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I don't think so. I think his career with RTE is finished. The longer Golfgate rolls on, the more divisive it is becoming, it's a bit of a seachange, so RTE can hardly take him back.

Anyway, they have shown with Sarah McInerney that there are plenty of other talented broadcasters in the country* and they should be given a chance.

*Who are not related to others in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Would be a big coup for Newstalk if they could get O Rourke but he'll have to hide in the wilderness for a while yet until things die down.

Sarah M goes to drivetime RTE Radio 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Demotion for Mary Wilson? She certainly lacks appeal and listenability.

shockwave wrote: »
    Would be a big coup for Newstalk if they could get O Rourke but he'll have to hide in the wilderness for a while yet until things die down.

Sean O'Rourke had replaced Pat Kenny when Pat moved from RTÉ to NewsTalk in 2013 after over 40 years at the national broadcaster. It would be ironic if O'Rourke was to take up an anchor role on a rival talk based station like NewsTalk should Kenny decide to retire in the next 12 months or so as Pat was 72 years of age last January and may want to slow down.

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Demotion for Mary Wilson? She certainly lacks appeal and listenability.

Who Mary or Sarah about the appeal etc?

McInerney filled in for Wilson on a few occasions. I thought she was quite awkward.
    Maybe the team or time of day.

Leave Mary where she is I say.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Was she not tried in that slot for
    Newstalk and quickly dropped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Cormac o'headhra is not very easy on the ear and too aggressive sounding.
    He sounds like he suffers from a constant cold.

BTW where is Gavin Jennings, Morning Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

BTW where is Gavin Jennings, Morning Ireland?
    No mention of Rachael English or Audrey Carville either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Does anyone know if Late Debate is coming back? It is a cinderella programme which RTE seldom talks about. I suspect that the radio bigwigs want it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

AJB39 wrote: »
    No mention of Rachael English or Audrey Carville either?

Presumably Jennings, Carville and English remain in situ. Wilson and Lawlor replacing Dobson, so the show will have 5 presenters instead of 4, with 3 of the 5 not working on any given day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

amlinopta wrote: »
    Presumably Jennings, Carville and English remain in situ. Wilson and Lawlor replacing Dobson, so the show will have 5 presenters instead of 4, with 3 of the 5 not working on any given day.

If they are remaining, you would have expected them to be mentioned in the new line up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Details here: https://www.thejournal.ie/rte-autumn-winter-season-launch-2020-5186714-Aug2020/

Late debate is on Tuesday to Thursday with Katie Hannon. She will also present the Saturday show that SOR was going to present (I assume this is Cormac O'hEadhra's old show?).

Dobbo at lunchtime is a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Thanks, Dulpit, I missed that.

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

amlinopta wrote: »

You'd wonder why they'd need a roster of 5 for a 90 minute show. Plus, I've heard both Catriona Perry and Samantha Libreri presenting it just in the past couple of weeks. I know it's holiday season, but still. Happy enough to see Aine Lawlor back though, always liked her in that slot before.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Ughh McNerny on Drivetime. Thought Wilson was very good, enjoyed listening to a mix of Yates, herself and Cooper.

Now Cooper is the only listenable option and it's still hit and miss with the likes of gannon and roe mcdermott on there sometimes.

Not a fan of McNerny, feels like she's doing a show rather than having a conversation with people.

Advertisement