Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all talk about Lewis?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

This post has been deleted.

At least, Alonso never sacked his own father as his manager :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Seannew1 wrote: »
    At least, Alonso never sacked his own father as his manager :pac:

I think neither Vettel or Hamilton have managers and they are doing fine. So maybe he didn't need him, Verstapen was also advised by the team to leave entourage at home after his troubles at the beginning of the season. Sometimes family members accompanying sports people cause more damage than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Hamilton has under-achieved. He's been in the best car for the last 11 years and has won 4 world championships. He missed out to Raikkonen, Button and Rosberg, three distinctly average drivers. He is a talented driver. I would rank him equal to Hakkinen for that mixture of aggression and consistency. Alonso is slightly better. The likes of Schumacher, Prost are well ahead of him.

As for the man himself, he's been in this game since he was a child, so I don't have any problems with him being arrogant, he's never known any other life. He's also the first successful black driver, so I put him there with Tiger Woods as a role model. It can't have been easy for him going to social events surrounded by rich white males in places like Monte Carlo, where you are looked down upon for your clothes, never mind your race.

You have to be an arrogant POS to be in F1. They all were, some were just better at hiding it than others...!

One thing I don't like about him is criticising the team over the radio, for the benefit of the TV audience.

Other than that, I can see him winning 6 championships, maybe 7, and he will be remembered as a great. Stats aren't everything in F1 though, few consider Schumacher and Fangio as the best drivers of all time.

Yeah because distinctly average drivers win world championships all the time. Absolute nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Gamb!t wrote: »
    TCP/IP wrote: »
    What Lewis said about Nico's clothes at the British GP interview just summed him up to be a terrible bitter human being.
    I can admit that I am 100% not a fan of Lewis but I respect his four championships but he is a completely horrible human being.

Also, I am not one of the people that buy into this Fernando hype that he is one of the GOAT honestly I don't see it or even close to it.
    I think in equal cars over a season Vettel wins every time over Lewis as he is a smarter racer.
    Now that the Mercedes party modes are less effective we are seeing Hamilton struggle slightly whereas before he was pretty much guaranteed pole and the race win.
    What did he say ?

He made a comment about when he steps away from the sport he will never be back and even if he did you would not be like a certain ex driver who turns up every race weekend wearing the same clothes. Truely shows the exact prat he his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I thought it was interesting at the last race in Hungary.
    I think it was Pinkham for sky before the race asked Kimi could he get get the jump on the others at the start?
    Queue several seconds of Kimi walking along in silence apparently ignoring her before grunting we'll see.
    Everyone is ho ho what a character Kimi is, great for the sport, etc.
    If it was Hamilton it would have been oh my god what an entitled **** to respond that way, hang him!
    Also Alonso has had long tiresome rants at his team and engineer for the last few races but also gets praised as some sort of race driver/stand up comedian.

As for one of the greats? Well the record speaks for itself doesn't it.

All F1 champs have been total twats, it seems to be a requirement, except Hakkinen of course, the exception that proves the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Good chance he will win his 5th championship title this weekend.
    I'm starting to think he might might actually beat Schumachers record of 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Good chance he will win his 5th championship title this weekend.
    I'm starting to think he might might actually beat Schumachers record of 7.

Match maybe but not outright beat. LeClerc and Verstappen are possible usurpers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

flazio wrote: »
    Match maybe but not outright beat. LeClerc and Verstappen are possible usurpers

Possible being the main word in that sentence. That does not mean they will do it just they might. If the Mercedes is still the best car the next two years there is no doubt it will be Hamilton more than likely winning again unless Ferrari and Vettel get on form and stay on form for most of the year. Vettel need to get ahead of Hamilton next year and stay there if he wants to win the WDC next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I'm bringing this thread back up because clearly some people think they have new points to make. Or perhaps they'll read through this thread and realise it was all said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm bringing this thread back up because clearly some people think they have new points to make. Or perhaps they'll read through this thread and realise it was all said before.

Aw man, did you have to :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

He's in the best car. I can't recall any moments where skill or nous got him out of trouble. No Schumacher at Hungary 98 moments. Bottas doing as well this year shows it all. I'm sure the bias within the team is in his favour too.

He's also annoying. I think he could have mourned lauda in a less conspicuous manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Oh dear, why did you have to bring up the thread again? It only fuels those who want to bash him.

I have my preferences on drivers, but I know I'm better than that to feed or encourage this.

The thread is best locked imo.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

astrofluff wrote: »
    Oh dear, why did you have to bring up the thread again? It only fuels those who want to bash him.

I have my preferences on drivers, but I know I'm better than that to feed or encourage this.

The thread is best locked imo.

Absolutely not a good thing to lock this thread it’s the perfect place to discuss all things Lewis the other thread was not so totally agree with Lightings decision to clean it up.

I love reading this forum. The Hamilton stuff, well, meh at this stage.

So here's the question some people need to ask themselves; if they dislike Hamilton, why follow them on social media? Clearly that's how they get their gold.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Absolutely not a good thing to lock this thread it’s the perfect place to discuss all things Lewis the other thread was not so totally agree with Lightings decision to clean it up.

To discuss him? Yes. For "he's in the best car" type conversations though, god no. How many times have the same old nonsense posts been posted, that people just can't be arsed refuting with actual evidence anymore? It's all been said, those who have a bias against him will continue to grind their axes no matter what anyone else says...last week it's what he wore to Lauda's funeral, next week it'll be some other tripe. What's the point of any of it?

As for being in the best car, it's been posted time and again how he's won races in cars that have been anything but the best at that time. Yes he's been in a dominant car for a few seasons now, but of course, everyone knows Senna, Schumacher, Prost, et all, always drove backmarker cars didn't they :rolleyes: Anyway, I think I'll bow out of this one, it's only going to end one way, and that's the same way it always ends - pages and pages of the same ****e that was posted this year, last year, the years before that, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Hamilton was being primed by mcclaren from an early age, given the best cars, best equipment, best of everything . It turned him into a good driver and a horribly spoiled man who acts like a sulky teenager .

A good driver not the best. He's never had to face adversity on the track

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Let's talk about Lewis, baby (sing it)
    Let's talk about you and me (sing it, sing it)
    Let's talk about all the good things
    And the bad things that may be
    Let's talk about Lewis (come on)
    Let's talk about Lewis (do it)
    Let's talk about Lewis (uh-huh)
    Let's talk about Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hamilton was being primed by mcclaren from an early age, given the best cars, best equipment, best of everything . It turned him into a good driver and a horribly spoiled man who acts like a sulky teenager .

He had talent but no money, a black kid from a council estate. His (and his father's) single minded determination and persistence eventually was rewarded when Ron Dennis - who was sceptical of his ability - gave him his chance. I think the path that has led to his superstardom has been strewn with more obstacles than those of most previous champions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Lewis has great fingernails, need to find out where he gets them done and does he have the best nails by all drivers? Discuss

What about Max? He's much more annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I find it hard to describe why I dislike Hamilton...I feel the same about him now as I did about vettel from 2011 to 2013. Seb has grown on me in fairness since he moved to Ferrari. I think Lewis just comes across as an arrogant self obsessed child who throws his toys out of the pram when he’s not happy. I also dislike his image and the way he talks. Comparing his interviews from 2007 and now it seems he’s morphed into a different person. Simply put, I think he’s become a dose to be honest. End rant.

weekaizer wrote: »
    I find it hard to describe why I dislike Hamilton...I feel the same about him now as I did about vettel from 2011 to 2013. Seb has grown on me in fairness since he moved to Ferrari. I think Lewis just comes across as an arrogant self obsessed child who throws his toys out of the pram when he’s not happy. I also dislike his image and the way he talks. Comparing his interviews from 2007 and now it seems he’s morphed into a different person. Simply put, I think he’s become a dose to be honest. End rant.

After multi 21 I lost a lot of respect for Seb. Tbh, there are few likeable drivers nowadays. LeClerc, Kimi I suppose. Lewis is a product of his time

After multi 21 I lost a lot of respect for Seb. Tbh, there are few likeable drivers nowadays. LeClerc, Kimi I suppose. Lewis is a product of his time

Kimi is an absolute knob half the time, if Hamilton spoke to engineers the way Kimi can do, we'd never hear the end of it.

Lewis was quite personable in today's drivers' conference (last interview).

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

astrofluff wrote: »

Lewis was quite personable in today's drivers' conference (last interview).

To be fair I agree with Lewis in that the sport needs to be more entertaining and that the cars should be more difficult to drive. I would love all the traction control and launch controls to be banned from 2020 along with much simpler aerodynamics. It probably won’t happen though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

chicorytip wrote: »
    He had talent but no money, a black kid from a council estate. His (and his father's) single minded determination and persistence eventually was rewarded when Ron Dennis - who was sceptical of his ability - gave him his chance. I think the path that has led to his superstardom has been strewn with more obstacles than those of most previous champions.
    It's easy to overstate the impact of meeting Ron Dennis on Hamilton's early years.

He was effectively a works kart driver from a very early point. The McLaren deal helped secure that into the long term to the point that the team he and Rosberg had for their two years at senior karting level was something beyond what the works teams were capable of.

He's an unapologetic Social Justice Warrior. And as such will always alienate a big chunk of Formula 1 fandom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He's an unapologetic Social Justice Warrior. And as such will always alienate a big chunk of Formula 1 fandom.

That social justice doesn't include Malaysia though because they own one of his teams main sponsors

Think hypocrit is more appropriate word

Advertisement