Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Let's all talk about Lewis?

1101112131416»

Comments



  • If you compare Lewis to Bottas during the latter's Merc career (2017+), Lewis has had only one technical DNF in that time compared to Bottas' eight. Add in Bottas' awful luck on many occasions (Baku puncture, Silverstone puncture a few laps before Lewis, pit fcuk-ups at Sakhir and again last week, etc.). Yes, Lewis is a better driver than Bottas, but damn does he get all the luck going.

    And I could make excuses for Hamilton’s luck in 2007 and 2016. It’s part of racing.

    Bottas isn’t in the same league as Rosberg, never mind Hamilton. On raw speed he isn’t far off, but he just doesn’t have enough fight in him and he’s also clearly suffering right now from a complete lack of confidence and it’s a shame to see.




  • Faugheen wrote: »
    And I could make excuses for Hamilton’s luck in 2007 and 2016. It’s part of racing.

    Bottas isn’t in the same league as Rosberg, never mind Hamilton. On raw speed he isn’t far off, but he just doesn’t have enough fight in him and he’s also clearly suffering right now from a complete lack of confidence and it’s a shame to see.

    its very easy to end up like that when you have very bad luck and are constantly reminded that you are second fiddle to lewis. valteri its james etc

    i agree he isnt championship winning level




  • Faugheen wrote: »
    And I could make excuses for Hamilton’s luck in 2007 and 2016. It’s part of racing.

    Bottas isn’t in the same league as Rosberg, never mind Hamilton. On raw speed he isn’t far off, but he just doesn’t have enough fight in him and he’s also clearly suffering right now from a complete lack of confidence and it’s a shame to see.

    If he's so bad, how come he's finished second in the championship the past two seasons (with 3 DNFs)? That's to do with the car, is it, whereas with Lewis it's not?




  • If he's so bad, how come he's finished second in the championship the past two seasons (with 3 DNFs)? That's to do with the car, is it, whereas with Lewis it's not?

    I guess you clearly missed the part where I said Bottas is very fast.

    I also made the point to highlight how Hamilton has performed against team-mates because there are two drivers in every car. It’s obvious the Mercedes is the fastest car on the grid but it’s up to the other driver to challenge him. He has had Alonso, Kovalainen, Button, Rosberg and Bottas as team-mates - three World Champions.

    Of course the car has helped Hamilton but there’s a reason that except for Rosberg in 2016 that nobody has been able to lay a glove on him. He has a team-mate in the same care since 2014 and has lost once, which you could argue was part in down to bad luck with his engine going in China (or was it Malaysia?).

    Bottas made life difficult for Hamilton in Barcelona. He should have been doing that in 2017/2018, not when his confidence is shot and he’s already accepted his place as Hamilton’s number 2. Like I said, no fight, no bite, everything Rosberg had and everything Rosberg gained after losing to Hamilton.




  • I don't follow the race thread but was there any discussion about Sainz reversing onto the track within a couple of feet of Giovinazzi?



    From the Imola thread;


    Are you allowed reverse onto the track?
    They should make a rule where you are not allowed to reverse during a race. During practice it would be fine, but during the race, that's your bad!!
    How was Hamilton not punished for reversing the car back onto the track. There was definitely cars coming through (McLaren)?
    That was my first thought as well, I'm sure there was something about that a few years ago, but I'm also thinking that it might be that your not allowed any reverse movement in the pits
    Oh I am after seeing the footage from Vettels car with Lewis reversing onto the track , that does not look good. I know there are yellow flags but that should be looked at.


  • Advertisement


  • It definitely looked very dangerous when he reversed out just as (I think) Mazepin was taking the corner. Surprised he didn't get a penalty for it.




  • barryribs wrote: »
    I don't follow the race thread but was there any discussion about Sainz reversing onto the track within a couple of feet of Giovinazzi?



    From the Imola thread;

    I don't believe it was mentioned




  • skipper_G wrote: »
    I don't believe it was mentioned

    Of course it wasn’t.




  • barryribs wrote: »
    I don't follow the race thread but was there any discussion about Sainz reversing onto the track within a couple of feet of Giovinazzi?
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Of course it wasn’t.

    They are so obviously different, if only because Sainz isn't fighting for the championship.

    I can't wait till Hamilton retires and this insane sensitivity around criticism of him can disappear with him.




  • barryribs wrote: »
    I don't follow the race thread but was there any discussion about Sainz reversing onto the track within a couple of feet of Giovinazzi?



    ...

    I wasn't participating in the race thread but I was watching the race with a friend and we both said it. The commentators also said it. Surprised there wasn't a penalty for it. Seemed dangerous to me.


  • Advertisement


  • They are so obviously different, if only because Sainz isn't fighting for the championship.

    I can't wait till Hamilton retires and this insane sensitivity around criticism of him can disappear with him.
    The actions of the drivers in question are not that different at all, in fact the speed at the top hairpin in Imola is much lower than the turn where Sainz went off today. Its just the reaction that one gets on here vs another is very different.




  • They are so obviously different, if only because Sainz isn't fighting for the championship.

    I can't wait till Hamilton retires and this insane sensitivity around criticism of him can disappear with him.

    So it’s ok for Sainz to do it and not Hamilton because of the fact the latter is fighting for the title?

    That isn’t criticism, that’s literally applying rules to him that don’t exist and letting everyone else away with it.

    All I ask for is those who make such a furore about anything Hamilton does to apply that same anger and shock when other drivers do it.

    You have confirmed that it’s an outrage because it’s Hamilton, not because you actually care about the rules and safety of the sport.




  • Faugheen wrote: »
    So it’s ok for Sainz to do it and not Hamilton because of the fact the latter is fighting for the title?

    That isn’t criticism, that’s literally applying rules to him that don’t exist and letting everyone else away with it.

    All I ask for is those who make such a furore about anything Hamilton does to apply that same anger and shock when other drivers do it.

    You have confirmed that it’s an outrage because it’s Hamilton, not because you actually care about the rules and safety of the sport.

    You are literally doing your usual again, and answering a question that wasn't asked.

    The question was: "Was it mentioned"

    Someone else said probably because Sainz isn't battling for the championship..

    You accuse that person of applying different rules to Hamilton and Sainz.

    If the question above was "Should Sainz have received a penalty" and received the reply about not battling for the championship, then your point would stand. But you have twisted it again as you did all the day yesterday. It is just bizarre.

    You seriously need to take off your blinkers, it is literally stifling any kind of rational debate. This forum gets more and more like the football forum every day.

    For what it is worth... It was incredibly dangerous, and worse than Hamilton at Imola. But truth be told, with everything else going on, I had forgotten about it.

    And also, as an example, compare the coverage of Ocons retirement, or Russel not taking the restart (it wasn't even mentioned) to Hamiltons lockup... In general, incidents out front receive more coverage and discussion. If you can't cope with that, then you need to find someone else to follow.




  • 2011 wrote: »
    So essentially you are saying the years he didn’t win the world championships are the years that he didn’t have the best car?
    You have just made my point.

    How have I made your point?

    You could say he had the best car in 2007 and threw that away as well, he had one of the best in 2010, didn't win. One of the best in 2012, didn't win then either. 2016 springs to mind as well...




  • That was an absolutely incredible drive, I didn't see him catching the Ferrari even after bottas letting him through. One of his biggest strengths we've seen time and time again is his ability to recover from bad situations -albeit with luck today with the red flag.

    I'm on the fence about the penalty, max got his elbows out plenty earlier in the lap and I suspect he was going to run wide to hold the position anyway, as he did at turn 1. Both red bull and Mercedes behavior around it is less than ideal. Horner complaining that noboy overtakes into copse and Perez did exactly exactly that about 20 minutes later.





  • Daily Mail: Lord Hain accuses Christian Horner of giving 'racists an excuse to let fly' after Hamilton criticism.

    I disagree with Lord Hain on this. There is room for legitimate criticism of Hamilton and the consequences of his crash with Max. If some racists want to have a go at Lewis about his race, that doesn't mean Christian Horner was in the wrong to criticise Hamilton about the incident which had absolutely nothing to do with his race.

    Every criticism of a black person isn't automatically a racist attack. Nor should horner refrain from criticising Hamilton about a legitimate mistake he made, just in case racists will chime in with racist sentiment.

    You can't account for racists and normal people can't refrain from legitimate criticism of a black man in case racists get involved and make it about race.





  • Agree with you on this. It does seem to be a massive leap on Hains part that if you criticise Hamilton you are racist or giving power to racists.

    Racists will be racist regardless of what a team boss says, that is what makes them so repulsive.





  • Wrong. He never said you shouldn't overtake at copse, he said you shouldn't stick a wheel up the inside a copse, especially when the overtake isn't even on.





  • Your right, thats what he said. I was recalling it straight after the race. After the 3 weeks, 400 comments and 45 different angles on it, I still think its a racing incident.





  • In my opinion, Bottas is playing it very smart right now. The perfect number 2 driver to Hamilton. Why would Merc risk taking on Russel who might compete with Hamilton, when they have such an ideal 2nd place driver who doesn't interfere with Hamilton's championship charge in any way, in fact seems to compliment it nicely.



  • Advertisement


  • Because Red Bull have brought in a more competitive no. 2 in Perez.





  • And they know Russel is so desperate to get Into the Mercedes that he would probably sign a contract saying he has to support Hamilton. He knows he can bank on waiting a couple of seasons and he'll be the no.1 in the team when Hamilton retires.





  • He's been managing the battle with Perez pretty comfortably, despite what the standings show. He always seems to be on the pace and looked to have turned a corner after France, before the brain fade in Hungary. Over the course of the season, I expect him to finish 20-40 points ahead. If I were in Mercedes shoes, I'd be looking to extend for a year and then bring Russell in.





  • It's not a popular opinion but I agree that Bottas has the measure of Perez. But that's not the only consideration. They also have to manage the future and coach their team leader for the future. They might prefer to have a clear no.1 and no.2. and avoid the Rosberg-Hamilton situation. But this is different. That involved 2 drivers who were young and at their peak. Now we have a team leader and a young challenger.

    Mercedes prefer to avoid intrateam battles but in the interest of continuity, they will most likely bite the bullet and bring in Russell for next year- even if that brings some problems with it, it's the right decision for the future.

    Hamilton will advocate for keeping Bottas, as he has Bottas in hand -like the way Vettel famously advocated for kimi when Ferrari wanted to promote Leclerc. It makes sense for the lead driver to protect their lead. But I still think Mercedes will promote Russell.



Advertisement