Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning Ireland.

• 01-02-2017 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭

Spent the whole morning on about the immigration ban,two day old news that deserves a single segment at best.
    Dedicating an entire show to one subject is piss poor lazy programming,thing is it's quite common for them . Items such as Brexit,Martin Mac Guinness retiring,The Immigration Ban or the death of some former politician are newsworthy but giving them start to finish coverage is bizzare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's called creating hysteria, fear & scaremongering. Rte are great at trying to do that. Sure months on and they're still in sick that trump was elected and can't understand why the yanks didn't vote the way they wanted them to

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RTE always have a hard on for the Democrats in the US so anything that is anti GOP they will jump all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Having watched on webcam I couldn't help but notice that there were large gaps where the presenters weren't on air so I had a closer look this morning Tuesday Feb 28th. I calculated that Gavin Jennings did just under 20 minutes of interviewing during the 120 minute show. His co presenter Rachael English did slightly less including an interview with a chef on how to make pancakes!! How come other presenters like Sean O Rourke Pat Kenny, Mary Wilson can do a 2 hour show on their own and yet these two presenters could only manage 40 minutes between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Having watched on webcam I couldn't help but notice that there were large gaps where the presenters weren't on air so I had a closer look this morning Tuesday Feb 28th. I calculated that Gavin Jennings did just under 20 minutes of interviewing during the 120 minute show. His co presenter Rachael English did slightly less including an interview with a chef on how to make pancakes!! How come other presenters like Sean O Rourke Pat Kenny, Mary Wilson can do a 2 hour show on their own and yet these two presenters could only manage 40 minutes between them.

Weather,news,sport,business reports and ads make the vast majority of it,plus the fact they speak so slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, they are anchors, not presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

On the RTE website they are described as presenters. No mention of the word anchor

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

On the RTE website they are described as presenters. No mention of the word anchor

Fair City is described as entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

They should only have the business news on once during the show and reduce the time the paper review gets, then they'll have more time for interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

they should get rid of 'the papers' segment , pointless and irrelevant then Cathal might be less breathless and stop saying " this is an important issue i'm sure well have to come back to again"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Absolutely bizarre piece just there where they admit lads living rough on the streets.

Ya know "the homeless"

AREN'T actually included in our homeless figures.

Mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bizarre morning on MI this am.

We had a Freudian slip when the It says in the Papers reader said of the Pres debate “When all the shyting is over”.

Very apt....

Then you had Minister Josepha Madigan and Prof. Colum Kenny slugging it out over the blasphemy referendum.

Both shouting each other down and in my opinion Kenny came across as a smug arrogant sleeve who wanted his own way.

At the end it degenerated into a cacophony of unintelligible sound, even the presenter had to snigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I came here to post about the 5hiteing, thought it deserved a shíte shout out. You could hear Clodagh feeling a bit chagrined when she finally got the sentence out :)

Will it be on Playback next Saturday I wonder.

Well done to Clodagh, she took it well.

Let’s hear Cahill talking thru gritted teeth in the sports bulletins this morning.

He will imply the penalty decision was questionable.

Listen out......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Let’s hear Cahill talking thru gritted teeth in the sports bulletins this morning.

Listen out......
    He'd be right.

Listen out......

I wasn’t disappointed.... Cahill speaking thru clenched teeth.

Made sure to emphasize he thought the penalty was harsh

If it was Liverpewell he would be coming out through the mic.....

Great to hear it being driven up him.. criticized Neville yet he does the same after a Liverpewell win

And don’t give me the West Ham fan bunkum :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭plodder

I wasn’t disappointed.... Cahill speaking thru clenched teeth.

Made sure to emphasize he thought the penalty was harsh

If it was Liverpewell he would be coming out through the mic.....

Great to hear it being driven up him.. criticized Neville yet he does the same after a Liverpewell win

And don’t give me the West Ham fan bunkum :D:D
    Ah, a bit unfair really. It was in good spirits. What did he say .. something like he agreed 'Man U are actually likeable now'. I wasn't expecting that.

plodder wrote: »
    Ah, a bit unfair really. It was in good spirits. What did he say .. something like he agreed 'Man U are actually likeable now'. I wasn't expecting that.

Said through gritted teeth though, “First time in 25 years I wanted them to win”

Next bulletin should be interesting.

I expect VAR to come under pressure along with Gary Neville.

;):D

Said through gritted teeth though, “First time in 25 years I wanted them to win”

Next bulletin should be interesting.

I expect VAR to come under pressure along with Gary Neville.

;):D

Heheh prediction spot on, bulletin delivered in deadpan fashion, Gary Neville targeted for a “giddy” or “giddee” in Des speak, interview.

No fear of Dezzie getting “emotional” over this one.

Made my morning boiled egg taste verrry good....very good indeed.:D:D

I hear the “noos” person is back.

Wait till we hear Cahill this morning after the ‘Liverpewell’ win.

Guy will be gushing through the mic.!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

New presenter yesterday & today called Maggie. Sounded like a good addition from the bit I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

honeybear wrote: »
    New presenter yesterday & today called Maggie. Sounded like a good addition from the bit I heard

Who of the regular crew weren't there ? Is that Maggie Doyle who filled in for Tubs the week before last I think it was. I heard her on the monday morning and she was a bit overly enthusiastic.

honeybear wrote: »

Not new, has done a few stints before, for me, she is a bit ‘pressing’ tends to force things a bit and can get a bit strident.

Hasn’t got the easy calm of Audrey C and Rachel E.

Wouldn’t like to have her buzzing in my ear for too long.

Seems to have a feminist kind of attitude, but I could be wrong.

Has promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

It was Gavin Jennings and Maggie Doyle. Bryan Dobson, Audrey Carvill and Rachael English all missing, Rachael seems to disappear for weeks at a time. I think Samantha Libreri has been sprung from the replacements bench as well recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

amlinopta wrote: »
    It was Gavin Jennings and Maggie Doyle. Bryan Dobson, Audrey Carvill and Rachael English all missing, Rachael seems to disappear for weeks at a time. I think Samantha Libreri has been sprung from the replacements bench as well recently.

I’d love to know their wages - have often suggested here that RTE make it look like their presenters have seen a drop in their salaries, however, from what I can see, their workload also appears to have lessened

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Often trotted out that wages have dropped but days worked drop accordingly. Finucane and Duffy both cases in point. John Murray seems to do one Morning Ireland sport per week. Then maybe a Saturday or a Sunday. Handy number with a 2 day week

Jaysus, to hear Cahill this morning you’d be forgiven for thinking Liverpewell won instead of getting thrashed 5-1..

I never heard such spin on a beating in fairness.....

And I know they were reserves....... and I know he’s supposed to support WHU....

Good lad Dezzie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Gavin Jennings
    Brian Jennings
    Brian Finn
    Bryan Dobson

Must be confusing for them in there at times

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I have a question, I'm not sure if it has been asked or mentioned elsewhere.
    Dr. Gavin Jennings, is a qualified medical doctor and he uses the dr title on his twitter handle . Does anyone know if he still works in medicine as well as presenting Morning Ireland?

• Advertisement

Absolutely farcical interview with Pearse Doherty on MI just now.

Playing cat & mouse with Gavin Jennings over a long delay on a satellite/zoom call.

Hello?
    YEAH ANYWAY AS I WAS SAYING
    Hello? Pearse Doherty can you hear me?
    HELLO?
    Hello?
    HELLO?
    Oh, uh, sorry listeners.Pearse Doherty?
    Pearse Doherty, there is a delay on the line
    HELLO?

Pick up the Goddamn landline lads. Phones still work.

Advertisement