Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning Ireland.

Comments

We should replace highly qualified and experienced journalists/presenters on the radio show with the biggest listenership, and get in some some of the punters around here to present it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

We should replace highly qualified and experienced journalists/presenters on the radio show with the biggest listenership, and get in some some of the punters around here to present it instead.

The biggest listenership only because of its time slot, I'd hardly call Dr Gavin highly qualified unless your referring to his PhD in arrogance. The harsh reality is Morning Ireland has become a pasture for winding down RTE presenters.

It once had excellent and highly experienced presenters

David Hanly
    Cathal Mac Coille
    David Davin Power etc.

I'll grant you current long term presenters Rachel and Audrey excellent too

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Ish66 wrote: »
    Gavin Jennings is from the north not so Brian, sounds Dublin.
    I'm pretty sure Gavin Jennings is from Kildare or Meath, he's definitely from the east/ midlands.

Their voices sound different alright, so probably just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'm pretty sure Gavin Jennings is from Kildare or Meath, he's definitely from the east/ midlands.

Their voices sound different alright, so probably just a coincidence.

Meath....Navan ,apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Michael McNamara...yawn:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Good to see that MLM was asked no tough questions this morning. (Not that she would have answered them.)

Lol, Donnelly is some chancer, we wanted to give people more time to book mandatory Hotel Quarantine? Should he not have said, we wanted to give people more time to avoid it.

An absolute shambles and now judicial appeals to add to the mix, who paying for that? I assume if people win appeals, the state pays legal costs. This is just becoming more ludicrous and expensive.

O dear, Donnelly struggling to explain the Irish Times article, quite strange given he's clearly adept at monitoring social media commentary, indeed he was moaning about Ministers getting very personal criticism over the weekend. Seems astonishing he didn't see the Irish Times article this morning, surely he was getting sms"s and calls from his PR team from early this morning about the article ??

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Lol, Donnelly is some chancer, we wanted to give people more time to book mandatory Hotel Quarantine? Should he not have said, we wanted to give people more time to avoid it.

An absolute shambles and now judicial appeals to add to the mix, who paying for that? I assume if people win appeals, the state pays legal costs. This is just becoming more ludicrous and expensive.

Thought Donnelly handled the interview with Wilson very well.

She tried to ‘nail him’ on numbers and the usual hypothetical issues re vaccine numbers but he ripped her a new one on that.

Only stumble was some kind of a Twitter survey which has really no significance.

Seems there is a propensity of requests under freedom of information for all kinds of spurious reasons these days from media hacks who just want a bit of ‘pseudo controversy’ to sell their rags for a day or two.

Whole thing just a bottle of smoke .....

Thought Donnelly handled the interview with Wilson very well.

She tried to ‘nail him’ on numbers and the usual hypothetical issues re vaccine numbers but he ripped her a new one on that.

Only stumble was some kind of a Twitter survey which has really no significance.

Seems there is a propensity of requests under freedom of information for all kinds of spurious reasons these days from media hacks who just want a bit of ‘pseudo controversy’ to sell their rags for a day or two.

Whole thing just a bottle of smoke .....

We'll see if its a bottle of smoke or even a bucket of steam, I'm not sure why you feel this interview went well, he couldn't answer the query re possible new decision on AZ and its consequences, Wilsons query about being a "Man with a plan", kind of said it all really, the Mandatory Hotel Quarantine answers where actually excuses and just bizzare. He changes listed countries after a successful appeal by two people in the high court and says the decision was delayed due to a lag? Seriously?

Seems to me the High Court will be a very busy place in the coming weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

We'll see if its a bottle of smoke or even a bucket of steam, I'm not sure why you feel this interview went well, he couldn't answer the query re possible new decision on AZ and its consequences, Wilsons query about being a "Man with a plan", kind of said it all really, the Mandatory Hotel Quarantine answers where actually excuses and just bizzare. He changes listed countries after a successful appeal by two people in the high court and says the decision was delayed due to a lag? Seriously?

Agreed 100%. Wilson really showed his resolve with that statement. He's a clown.

Dee, slow down a little bit, he did the right thing, you see the tactic is from Wilson try to pin him down on numbers and I don’t need to explain why that foolish.

Joe Namath got lucky when he ‘guaranteed’ when he guaranteed a win for the Jets in SBIII when he was pissed In Miami.

Donnelly wasn’t in that state of sobriety so correctly did not speculate on the unknown.

We need to realise here that ‘stuff’ cannot be arranged at the drop of a hat.

There are complex issues and they take time to arrange, needs time.

I can’t suddenly jump out the front door , fire up the slab and take off for three or four days with arranging things.

Wise up lads, if you ever had to handle big issues and large crowds you would know that to get anything done you need to PLAN a bit.

Not point going off half cocked.... recipe for disaster.

I heard the Donnelly interview and thought he did fine (the Twitter thing not so much but who really cares). All of the trying to nail him down on really specific numbers/dates and "what if" scenarios is getting lazy...the covid context makes it fairly reasonable not to be able to definitively answer some of these questions.

Stephen Donnelly has developed the reputation of being a waffler (what politician isn't?) and some of that is deserved, but it's got to a stage where no matter what he says it's dismissed as waffling or being a clown.

Not directed at anyone in particular on here, but sometimes people just hear what they want to hear...and Donnelly's become an example of that.

Dee, slow down a little bit, he did the right thing, you see the tactic is from Wilson try to pin him down on numbers and I don’t need to explain why that foolish.

Joe Namath got lucky when he ‘guaranteed’ when he guaranteed a win for the Jets in SBIII when he was pissed In Miami.

Donnelly wasn’t in that state of sobriety so correctly did not speculate on the unknown.

We need to realise here that ‘stuff’ cannot be arranged at the drop of a hat.

There are complex issues and they take time to arrange, needs time.

I can’t suddenly jump out the front door , fire up the slab and take off for three or four days with arranging things.

Wise up lads, if you ever had to handle big issues and large crowds you would know that to get anything done you need to PLAN a bit.

Not point going off half cocked.... recipe for disaster.

Isn't it the Job of Wilson to pin down interviewees on facts? Maybe I miss understand what their role is?

Personally I don't blame Donnelly for the mandatory Hotel Quarantine fiasco, the opposition pushed for it, got it and with the best will in the world no one can make this work. I've said before, Just stop people coming in the first place, Harsh yes but easier to manage and update as required. I'm just amazed no one in government saw the pitfalls of such a scheme. Its unmanageable, un workable and will ultimately cost the state dearly.

Cole wrote: »
    I heard the Donnelly interview and thought he did fine (the Twitter thing not so much but who really cares). All of the trying to nail him down on really specific numbers/dates and "what if" scenarios is getting lazy...the covid context makes it fairly reasonable not to be able to definitively answer some of these questions.

Stephen Donnelly has developed the reputation of being a waffler (what politician isn't?) and some of that is deserved, but it's got to a stage where no matter what he says it's dismissed as waffling or being a clown.

Not directed at anyone in particular on here, but sometimes people just hear what they want to hear...and Donnelly's become an example of that.

All fair points but I'd just say in response, Donnelly brought a lot of this on himself and it seems its he who's obsessed with it image as reported this morning in the Irish Times.

I'm not doubting the tough job he and others have but over time, his and others arrogance and willingness to pass the buck have led to mine and I dare say many others distain.

What is it about this public service unions that gives them an interpretation that they are entitled to more than than rest of us. This prison officers rep (John Clinton) is quite simply on another planet and actually has an incredible knack of being annoying, delusional & silly at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

This interview with the 2 whackers from the supporters club is a real struggle

neris wrote: »

Like digging up rocks with a teaspoon.

Poor Audrey was struggling big time.

Sounds like around 23.45 after the gallon- + ,would be their best time:D

neris wrote: »

I was half listening, but I think i heard the (Irish) Man Utd fan moan about the clubs focusing on foreign fans rather than the "home grown" ones...said the fella from Dublin. It was probably best that Audrey Carville just let it slide and let him off...the same lad reckons that because he's been supporting Man Utd since the 1950s, it's part of his DNA.

Jaysus...the Ebun Joseph interview this morning. Leaving aside the wider issue of racial discrimination and injustices, which most listeners (I assume) agree with, but the absolute train wreck of a completely disjointed and somewhat incoherent analysis of the George Floyd case.

The absolute mortification for UCD. A good example of a PhD not always equating to academic competence...or even intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Jaysus...the Ebun Joseph interview this morning. Leaving aside the wider issue of racial discrimination and injustices, which most listeners (I assume) agree with, but the absolute train wreck of a completely disjointed and somewhat incoherent analysis of the George Floyd case.

The absolute mortification for UCD. A good example of a PhD not always equating to academic competence...or even intelligence.
    Well, she did accuse a hotel in Salthill of racism when they gave her blackcurrant MiWadi instead of red wine. She is a perennial victim.

A rare bit of Jovial banter between Michelle O Neill & Arlene foster, and over what? A F******* hairdo. Meanwhile RTE"s norther editor reporting live from a barber shop? Jesus wept what a sad country we've become

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Was one of the presenters this morning aonghus cox pronouncing Chernobyl incorrectly?.

He pronounced it as Cher"knob"yl ??
    The audio piece he introduced (from a reporter) pronounced it as "Chernobyl"(the way we are used to).

So we heard the 2 versions, which was annoying.

Was one of the presenters this morning aonghus cox pronouncing Chernobyl incorrectly?.

He pronounced it as Cher"knob"yl ??
    The audio piece he introduced (from a reporter) pronounced it as "Chernobyl"(the way we are used to).

So we heard the 2 versions, which was annoying.

Probably Aengus Cox, who is ‘new ‘ to the job.

Now I thought he did well and shows promise, but..........

For fuhherke sake would RTE on a prime time serious news show not tell these presenters how to pronounce these place names and stick to them.

This stupid a la carte pronunciations stuff is ridiculous.

Is there not a hombre in there with the cahunas to tell people in there , you pronounce Chernoble like thus.......

If you want to work on this desk you do it this way.

Surely that is not too difficult a task to put in place.

Cut out this ‘ whatever your having yourself’ attitude.

I agree totally with the boy ‘Ford fiesta’

I think we can soon expect the same incisive reporting from Dublin, Cork etc. that we're hearing from Belfast this morning...interviewing people queuing at Penneys and giggling about buying socks and underwear.

I think we can soon expect the same incisive reporting from Dublin, Cork etc. that we're hearing from Belfast this morning...interviewing people queuing at Penneys and giggling about buying socks and underwear.

The new Brian Lally, John Cooke,will be to the fore on the evening shows, asking all the difficult questions.

Man of the People John boy will be asking:

What are you all queuing for.

What are you looking forward to most.

Where will you have your “first pint” and who will you have it with.

Etc etc..... as if they were locked up like Terry Waite for the last five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

For fuhherke sake would RTE on a prime time serious news show not tell these presenters how to pronounce these place names and stick to them.

This stupid a la carte pronunciations stuff is ridiculous.

Is there not a hombre in there with the cahunas to tell people in there , you pronounce Chernoble like thus.......

If you want to work on this desk you do it this way.

Surely that is not too difficult a task to put in place.

Cut out this ‘ whatever your having yourself’ attitude.

I agree totally with the boy ‘Ford fiesta’
    Speaking of cutting things out.

I've noticed a marked increase in presenters referring to colleague's programmes by their first name only.

"This was discussed on Claire's show earlier", "Joe had an hour long debate on this yesterday ", "Minister you said the complete opposite when on with Katie" etc etc.

Not really sure what to make of it to be honest.

Cliquey? Possibly.

Annoying? Yes.

Unprofessional? Absolutely.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Speaking of cutting things out.

I've noticed a marked increase in presenters referring to colleague's programmes by their first name only.

"This was discussed on Claire's show earlier", "Joe had an hour long debate on this yesterday ", "Minister you said the complete opposite when on with Katie" etc etc.

Not really sure what to make of it to be honest.

Cliquey? Possibly.

Annoying? Yes.

Unprofessional? Absolutely.

Wouldn’t bother me too much but I can see how it would annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

He is the son of Valerie Cox who was complaining that her services were no longer required by RTE when she turned 65

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/rt%C3%A9-ordered-to-pay-50-000-to-former-employee-valerie-cox-1.3435712

• Advertisement

That's a bit of a surprise coming from the Netherlands, postponing re opening albeit primarily because of Hospital admissions not reducing as quickly as hoped.

I was struck at the comments re cold weather, I think Our own governments notion that out door dining, drinking is viable is just dillusional given our own climate.

Curious also Denmark removing J&J vaccine completely along with the AZ, raises a genuine question regarding liability here if there is any issues.

Advertisement