Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning Ireland.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

At least the team on MI can do objective interviews and show some balance unlike the chancers on later programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

Mary Wilson interrupting Niamh Smith TD practically non-stop this morning. What is the point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

I listened to Morning Ireland this morning.

Audrey Carville is a brilliant interviewer and very fair in how she treats people.

I agree with your assessment…..and have mentioned it many times.

Others however think the hostile abrasive approach is better………. Those are the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The whole lineup is very strong in fairness. Rachel English is also top class and doesn’t rely on the bull in a china shop approach. Much more effective interviewing style than those from the Vinny Browne School of tutting, sighing and trying to become the focus of listener attention.

Correct Bobby..talking at warp speed and trying for a “head” duddn't cut the for this poster.

The auld clapped out VB tactic of not letting the interviewee finish a sentence is well rattled at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Tow

RTE staffers don't understand that Kippure is the main 50kw transmitter. While 3 Rock is a smaller 5kw fill in site required to cover East Dublin, as the Kippure transmitter is blocked by the mountains.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I can hear both Kippure and Three Rock in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Kippure transmitter was suffering from bad audio drop-outs this morning. Morning Ireland advised listeners to retune from 89.1 to 88.5 instead. On car radios you would also have to (temporarily) disable RDS AF (if you know how) otherwise it would just jump back to 89.1 if that was stronger.

Of course in other parts of Kippure service area further away from the Pale , there would be better luck trying other frequencies such as 89.6

Post edited by Antenna on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I noticed Kippure glitching out for a couple of days before 'Morning Ireland' mentioned it. Here in North East Wicklow, RDS AF is essential to hop around the transmitters needed to keep coverage while in a moving vehicle in the area. Going from Newtownmountkennedy to Dublin, it can switch between Kippure, Three Rock and the Greystones filler on Kindlestown hill, in a very short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

I listened to Today on BBC Radio 4 this morning, a similar show to Morning Ireland on RTE Radio 1, you could call it their equivalent show, and I found Today a lot more interesting to listen to than Morning Ireland. Their reporting on world news was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Morning Ireland stuck in another era with their format.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Hasn't changed in years but still the most listened to program. Five presenters to cover it and still need to draft in extras like Cian McCormack, Samantha Libreri, Justin McCarthy etc. Par for the course in RTE, seem to be so many on 3 day weeks or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they do news and sport and then go for an ad break? It's like ten past seven before they kick off.

Can't deal with the deliberately slow and dreary way they have of speaking. I swear they're still trying to imitate the BBC voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Baseball72

I sometimes watch Morning Ireland on the news channel, and as the various staff come and go to the mikes, the programme (in front of camera) looks overstaffed.

Audrey Carville and Rachel English conduct interviews better than some of the other presenters - who seem to be just looking for the one sound bite or "gotcha" moment - but that approach does not serve the listeners, or get to the (whole) truth of the matter.

And they still persist with the It Says in the Papers rubbish.

So yeah it might be quarter past the hour before they get to an interview.

Terrible radio.

I've said it before. I don't know why they need so many presenters particularly when the station is broke. Why can't one of the presenters just read out the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is massive overkill in the new reporting in rte.

The presenter of Morning Ireland gives you a quick headline at the top, then hands over to Brian Jennings. He then reads the same news story again with a tiny bit more detail. In each story,Brian Jennings then hands over to another correspondent who adds another few bits of detail.

Could all be done so much quicker. It's very verbose.

• Advertisement

Not only is it overkill, it's just old fashioned at this point.

The Today Programme on the BBC runs for 3 hours for starters. Morning Ireland only runs for 2 hours. I think they started at 7.30 up to about 15 years ago when they finally had to be embarrassed into lengthening the programme because of commercial radio.

RTE get away with murder because they know the government will bail them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Today Programme is not doing well in the listening charts.

"Radio 4 has lost over a million listeners in the last year, a loss of 11.4% of its total audience. Most dramatic of all has been the fall in the audience for Radio 4’s flagship programme, Today. In the first quarter of 2023 it registered only 5.76 million listeners, its smallest audience in almost 25 years."

This very damning headline from November 2022 explains why, at least in the eyes of that columnist. Many Radio 4 types bemoan Amol Rajan coming in when John Humphrys threw his toys out of the pram.

"The unbearable complacency of the Today programme

Arch presenters, clichéd reporting, soft interviews: no wonder BBC Radio 4’s stale morning show is rapidly losing listeners."

It follows a formula just like Morning Ireland. It has its Angelus equivalent at 07:50 with Thought for Today. Something which RTE probably wouldn't get away with, is the daily horse racing betting tips. It also has its equivalent of It Says in the Papers, which includes material from online publications.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It Says In The Papers is my favourite bit, I make sure to tune in for both of them if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

they can’t move It Says In the papers as that is basically a free 5 minute ad for the newspapers and they would go full attack mode on Rte if the slot was canned. It’s a way of keeping the paper proprietors sweet

I would suggest Mishal Hussein , Nick Robinson, or Martha Kearney don’t hold back on interviews.

Amol Rajan has a diction I find hard to understand unless one listens very carefully.

There’s a new female presenter coming on air soon, can’t remember her name but was mentioned this

morning

Edit

It’s Emma Barnett who will eventually replace Martha as she leaves the programme.

Advertisement