Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy farm worker

Options
  • 09-06-2020 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi
    What's the wage for a dairy farm worker, short term and long term.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

poorer than it was pre covid I'd say. have noticed alot of lads advertising themselves available for work on donedeal with a focus on dairying in recent months.
    €10 ahour nett if your familiar with dairy farming and thats with someone who knows the value of another's labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

ruwithme wrote: »
    poorer than it was pre covid I'd say. have noticed alot of lads advertising themselves available for work on donedeal with a focus on dairying in recent months.
    €10 ahour nett if your familiar with dairy farming and thats with someone who knows the value of another's labour.

Not great so.

Would be interested to hear about long term prospects if anyone has any info

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What’s the going rate for a school lad doing a days work on a dairy farm? About the 12 hours including meals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What’s the going rate for a school lad doing a days work on a dairy farm? About the 12 hours including meals?

If he's good,I'd give him €80 to €100 net including meals
    The higher rate if he's really good
    Depending on age and ability

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Stan27 wrote: »
    Not great so.

Would be interested to hear about long term prospects if anyone has any info

Could get on to local teagasc office or people you may know. All depends on experience really. You could offer labour yourself at a rate to multiple farms if you have experience. Set up as a sole trader and need to do your own accounts. May suit if there are smaller farms near you where you could spent a day or two on each farm. That way farmer isn't under pressure paying fulltime work and you may get a rate you would be happy with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Mortelaro wrote: »
    If he's good,I'd give him €80 to €100 net including meals
    The higher rate if he's really good
    Depending on age and ability

Things are gone mad if a school kid should get €100 /day and be fed no wonder they are all walking the road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

cute geoge wrote: »
    Things are gone mad if a school kid should get €100 /day and be fed no wonder they are all walking the road

Ah now - have you bought 20 Silk Cut recently??;)

I always associated the farm hands on my Grandmothers place with various cig brands - Silk Cut for the younger lads, Sweet Afton for the old timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

12 hours a day? What age is he? If you're an employer then make sure your compliant with the maximum number of working hours for young people, here's a guideline:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/young_people_at_work/rights_of_young_workers.html#:~:text=The%20maximum%20working%20week%20for%20young%20people%20aged%2016%20and,work%20between%206am%20and%2010pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrtm17

Surely ud want to be taking home 600 a week after tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    Surely ud want to be taking home 600 a week after tax?

For what hours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I think you have to be fair,treat them right,be a good employer etc
    Paying 6 or 7 euros an hour would not be that

@Timmay plenty lads 16 and 17 years of age at silage all hours in past few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think you have to be fair,treat them right,be a good employer etc
    Paying 6 or 7 euros an hour would not be that

@Timmay plenty lads 16 and 17 years of age at silage all hours in past few weeks

There is a 16 and a 17 year old working for the summer, in the building site I'm on. Start at 7:30, finish at 5:30. 1 hour breaks, they get paid for 9&1/2 hours. 14 euro an hour. So they have €133 a day.

In reality that is a very good wage for them. But 12 hour an hour is the minimum any young person would be on, on a building site

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter is 16 working in local shop on minimum wage 7euro an hour

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter is 16 working in local shop on minimum wage 7euro an hour

It shows how big the wages disparity is between different job sectors. Retail, agriculture and Construct are world apart by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

It shows how big the wages disparity is between different job sectors. Retail, agriculture and Construct are world apart by the looks of it.

Tho. To be expected, fair difference in lifting 4 inch blocks onto scaffolding compared to loaves of pat the Baker onto shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not the case everywhere but the amount of cash work going around in the construction industry is ridiculous as well, an area that could well do with being clamped down on

Mooooo wrote: »
    Not the case everywhere but the amount of cash work going around in the construction industry is ridiculous as well, an area that could well do with being clamped down on

The only cash work would be one off houses I'd say. And everyone that did a self build is guilty of "and how much for cash"

Seen a few job advertisements, farmers looking for lads for 39 hours a week for 22k a year. No wonder farmers cant get good labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It's not all about the money, if you want to make money you go working at something else.

As i posted earlier in this thread there is a lot of people,youngsters generally and some maybe not so young on donedeal advertising their labour with a focus on dairying.

This will be the case for quite a while to come with jobs being hard to come by in the times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Seen a few job advertisements, farmers looking for lads for 39 hours a week for 22k a year. No wonder farmers cant get good labour.

Can he do whatever he wants for the second half of the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Genuinely though....with any time worked over the 39 hours, it could still run to 600 a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Cost to employer for above salary when holiday pay and prsi etc is factored in is over 13 euro a hour for hours worked by employee for year, once the wage subsidy scheme is pulled and the covid payment finishes next April the above salary will be seen as a alright wage all things consider

alps wrote: »
    Genuinely though....with any time worked over the 39 hours, it could still run to 600 a week..

Ye but if a young lad saw those wages, and whats on offer with other sectors, it is a big put off to work in the dairy sector.

Is there not a huge lack of labour in the dairy sector ?

Not in my opinion. i see lots looking for work in it. Good for any youngsters who might be considering dairying at home later on in life. See how others do it and maybe learn something too at same time.

It's good to get away from the homestead when your young.open your eyes.

Op are you planning on dairying at home sometime in the future?or just wanting to work on a dairy farm.

Not in my opinion. i see lots looking for work in it. Good for any youngsters who might be considering dairying at home later on in life. See how others do it and maybe learn something too at same time.

It's good to get away from the homestead when your young.open your eyes.

Op are you planning on dairying at home sometime in the future?or just wanting to work on a dairy farm.

Dont see our farm at home going dairying, it isnt big enough.

Worked on dairy farms in australia and loved it, so when I'm stuck in the office in Dublin, I sometimes do think am I better off having a dairy career.
    Always keeping an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭einn32

Dont see our farm at home going dairying, it isnt big enough.

Worked on dairy farms in australia and loved it, so when I'm stuck in the office in Dublin, I sometimes do think am I better off having a dairy career.
    Always keeping an eye out.

Do a few hours on a farm in your time off? I know a few people that pick up farm work on Saturday and Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Is it really that low? thats mimimum wage, be better of in a tesco at that rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

kerryjack wrote: »
    It's not all about the money, if you want to make money you go working at something else.

if your a worker it is, thats what keeps children fed and rent paid, no farmer can expect quality staff for mimimum wage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya starting out its low paid, but there is opportunities now to herd share or maybe rent your own place. Would I advise my own kids to do it, No way you would be mad.

Advertisement