Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

nee wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    I'm scared :eek:
    After the heat of Sunday, I think I got some salty irritation,

Huh Huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It was even hard to read that.

My sister is one of those people. If someone or something (cattle, horses, dog etc.) have a skin/boil thing she's all over it. Skin things are one of the few things that make me want to puke.

I've drained an infected big toe nail a few times.

A candle and a needle and a steady hand is all that is required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

a few years ago, a friend told me about a subgenre of videos on youtube featuring bursting of everything from pimples to cysts. apparently it can be quite cathartic. i will leave the conclusion on whether that is true as an exercise for the reader.

National Sales Manager in my old workplace used to watch those videos to relax himself when stressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

ford2600 wrote: »
    I've drained an infected big toe nail a few times.

A candle and a needle and a steady hand is all that is required!

Oh sweet jesus make it stop :eek:

I did once have a paronychia that required my nail to be lifted off and the underneath being scraped out. *Shudder*

Get well soon dahat and Enfilade, it's one of my greatest cycling fears

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing like lancing a golfball attached to your gooch :pac:

I also had a knee issue as a teenager, girl in my class had surgery for the same thing. I cut open the side of my knee and pulled out what looked like an overcooked string of white spaghetti.

I am quite lucky I haven't had some sort of major infection in retaliation.

Nee will sleep better knowing she's not in the at risk catagory for them.

The pilonidal one isn't even the one I'm having nuked. Had that looked at years ago and the consultant told me it wasn't bad enough. I still get a flair up maybe once a year for a few days but I've been lucky it's never grown and is really just a pea sized amount of scare tissue now if that.

I'll still be off the bike though as I won't be able to shoulder check due to the stitches on my back and neck which the consultant gleefully said "oh nice big ones" it's about an inch wide :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Speaking of suppurating wounds, Niall Ring will be the next Lord Mayor of Dublin.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nothing like lancing a golfball attached to your gooch :pac:

I also had a knee issue as a teenager, girl in my class had surgery for the same thing. I cut open the side of my knee and pulled out what looked like an overcooked string of white spaghetti.

I am quite lucky I haven't had some sort of major infection in retaliation.

What the actual? *puke rises in mouth*
    Nee will sleep better knowing she's not in the at risk catagory for them.

The pilonidal one isn't even the one I'm having nuked. Had that looked at years ago and the consultant told me it wasn't bad enough. I still get a flair up maybe once a year for a few days but I've been lucky it's never grown and is really just a pea sized amount of scare tissue now if that.

I'll still be off the bike though as I won't be able to shoulder check due to the stitches on my back and neck which the consultant gleefully said "oh nice big ones" it's about an inch wide :D

Fecin hell. Well that's tonight's nightmare sorted :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

scare tissue
    Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Any other cycling Boardsies going to Roger Waters tonight?

I'm bringing my 16 year old daughter. She's become a bit of a Floyd head recently. Looking forward to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

My dad waved a spare ticket under my nose on Sunday only to confirm yesterday he'd heard back from one of his mates who he had invited but not heard from.

Kinda annoyed!

I'd love to be going but have a prior engagement unfortunately

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm bringing my 16 year old daughter. She's become a bit of a Floyd head recently. Looking forward to it. :)

Am jealous, Mrs' Fowl laughed when I asked and 12 yr old not interested and 16 yr old would go but not with me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Thud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hey you I asked my mother if I like his songs, she though the time and money weren't worth it despite my high hopes. I was lost for words and marooned for a while but coming back to life now.

There'll be nobody home in your place and hopefully ye won't be amused to death and it'll be one of the happiest days of our lives..

Don't forget your cigarette lighter ya relic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Don't forget if you want to see the Orica GreenEdge film, it's on next Wednesday in Rathmines, tickets available at https://tickets.demand.film/event/5010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gmacww

Has anyone else used any of the ANT+ HR straps from aliexpress or other site. Garmin one gave up the past couple of days and 40 for a new one is a touch much. Lots of alternatives ranging from 15-60. Anyone tried an alternative paired with a garmin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

gmacww wrote: »
    Has anyone else used any of the ANT+ HR straps from aliexpress or other site. Garmin one gave up the past couple of days and 40 for a new one is a touch much. Lots of alternatives ranging from 15-60. Anyone tried an alternative paired with a garmin?

I had one for a few years. I think the brand was Cagoo. Never had a problem with it and it seems to compare well with the Apple Watch heart rate sensors. I gave it to a mate recently and it’s still working.

Multiple world and Olympic champion Kristina Vogel is in a serious condition following a crash on track:

www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-champion-vogel-seriously-injured-in-track-crash/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think they changed a typo in the URL above so it doesn't work - this one does though:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-champion-vogel-seriously-injured-in-track-crash/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Excellent parental guidance, sir (or madam)! :-)

All this weather and I've no bike, Di2 is being fitted today and the second bike is waiting for the Ultegra bits that are being removed from the first. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

All this weather and I've no bike, Di2 is being fitted today and the second bike is waiting for the Ultegra bits that are being removed from the first. :(

This is why I have 4 bikes, or is it 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is why I have 4 bikes, or is it 5?
    To lend one to Jimmy? That's very generous of you :pac:

If he can cycle a 54 and collect in town by 4, then yes, why not (seriously). It's been locked in work for a few months now, , so probably in need of tlc. Keep one here in case I ever have to dash off on a day I've walked in, though stupidly still have mtb pedals on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

gmacww wrote: »

I have a wahoo one now and it works fine with my garmin.

Weepsie wrote: »
    If he can cycle a 54 and collect in town by 4, then yes, why not (seriously). It's been locked in work for a few months now, , so probably in need of tlc. Keep one here in case I ever have to dash off on a day I've walked in, though stupidly still have mtb pedals on it.

Very generous of you but I should be back on the road tomorrow and shall take this evening for a few beverages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

apparently tar is melting in places. Something to watch out for, apart from the potential danger i imagine it would destroy bicycle tyres.

Saw this on reddit earlier

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    apparently tar is melting in places. Something to watch out for, apart from the potential danger i imagine it would destroy bicycle tyres.

It's happened to me twice already this tear. Tyres were fine, you just scrape the tar off. Getting it stuck inside forks and brakes however is a pita and requires a good scraping.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nico Roche with a KOM on the (Enniskerry) Poggio today..stealing the crown from a boardsie too! https://www.strava.com/segments/6911387 — Poggio climb

Fian wrote: »
    It's requires more energy to cycle on as the tyres stick to the road but it's not actually dangerous. It's a bit like cycling on Sellotape.

Apart from tar sticking to the tyres, the biggest problem is that it drags up all the loose chippings and stones which stick to the frame/brakes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Saw this on reddit earlier
    Not all the bikes get through a change, and jeepers the shoaling!

Had a good one yesterday (I'm over in the Netherlands): car waiting at lights for as long as I can see, I rock up beside, press the bike button, it goes green and off I go. Had to laugh.

colm18 wrote: »
    Nico Roche with a KOM on the (Enniskerry) Poggio today..stealing the crown from a boardsie too! https://www.strava.com/segments/6911387 — Poggio climb

An average of 31km/h on that! Fcukin hell!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Idleater wrote: »
    Not all the bikes get through a change, and jeepers the shoaling!

Some of the shoaling on the right-hand side of the screen is people coming from the left stopping to do box-turns, I think.

I expect it was started by some of the little s*its who often hang around there.

not the first time it's happened, if it's in the spot it happened before.

• Advertisement

i think there's zero information content in that statement.

Looks like he was out training with the bro as well ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Saw the fire brigade coming back down by Hellfire as I went up and was still smouldering when I got up there. Crashed and burnt out car along the side...I assumed that was the ignitor, but looks like it was someone that got caught up/distracted by the fire and ended up crashing.

Anyone else go into all his PR's to see how many of the segments they're faster than Nico on? :pac:

Kristina Vogel is now in a serious rather than critical condition. An initial statement said her spinal cord was severed, now changed to severely injured. Doesn't look good :( Makes me sick thinking about it. If only thoughts and good wishes could heal.
    https://twitter.com/WestemeyerSusan/status/1011952115256832000

Definitely off the bike for a while, was ok after the surgery this morning then the drugs wore of and now I have to twist my body to look right to avoid tugging the stitches in my neck. Only got one cyst done so a return visit needed.

Out for a walk this evening and I swear I don't think I've seen as many out on bikes of an evening, lucky so and so's . LBS must be selling Trek's like they are going out of style I've seen that many of late.

....Anyone else go into all his PR's to see how many of the segments they're faster than Nico on? :pac:
    Eh, no. He's done the Poggio in less than half my time. I don't wish to have my mediocrity highlighted any further.

• Advertisement

S<snip>
    Anyone else go into all his PR's to see how many of the segments they're faster than Nico on? :pac:

I don't get the strava thing. I never have. I've never put anything on it nor have I ever measured a ride that way, or ever had the urge to. I do look on it if I've been out of a spin with someone, one of my friends puts cool names on his rides, that's entertaining. But generally it seems boring and pointless to me. I can see the point of it for training, but I have a wee computer that can measure my heart rate, cadence, speed and distance and I have never felt like I needed more than that. Something that gives you directions would be handy, I get lost a lot.

I know that makes me some sort of fake / not-real cyclist. I don't drink coffee, and have never had a cup of coffee either. I might not be a real person :D
    Definitely off the bike for a while, was ok after the surgery this morning then the drugs wore of and now I have to twist my body to look right to avoid tugging the stitches in my neck. Only got one cyst done so a return visit needed.

Out for a walk this evening and I swear I don't think I've seen as many out on bikes of an evening, lucky so and so's . LBS must be selling Trek's like they are going out of style I've seen that many of late.

Oh no get well soon Enfilade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

Swift recovery to you..

I think herself is excited for changing of the dressing etc so she can use her nurse skills while on maternity leave. She has actually stitched me up twice in the past, pain and no anaesthetic was worth not having to go to A&E and sit there for hours let me tell you

....I know that makes me some sort of fake / not-real cyclist..
    Quite the opposite in fact - it's something to be admired. I'm a bit of a slave to Strava myself yet some of the best cyclists I know don't use it. I go to the Alps each September with a bunch of lads and only two of us upload rides. The rest, who have been doing it for 30 years can't see why we need to.

Quite the opposite in fact - it's something to be admired. I'm a bit of a slave to Strava myself yet some of the best cyclists I know don't use it. I go to the Alps each September with a bunch of lads and only two of us upload rides. The rest, who have been doing it for 30 years can't see why we need to.

Yeah I just don't see the point personally, but maybe someday I'll suddenly get it and strava up. It just doesn't do anything for me at the moment.
    I joined it initially to find routes, but they're all ridiculously short and discordant segments with leaderboards and that make no sense to me. I kind of gave up on it then and there tbh. Although I'm odd in my lack of love for numbers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement