Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Usisu wrote: »
    Could someone post some pictures or make a Video how streaming with 5mbits should be passable?

I'm still very confused. You're in Germany and have no intention of leaving Vodafone. So why do you want to gather this info and for what purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

Does anybody know what vodafones data fair usage is, i know gomo is 120gb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Usisu

Vodafone don't have one anymore. Thry had it with 100 GB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

I thought the gomo cap is 80gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭nu_90

5mb working fine for me , had the €20 student Vodafone for years switched to this last week. No difference to me. Netflix YouTube all fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

bromley52 wrote: »

Was increased last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I installed this in a router and it ran a firestick, netflix and youtube fine. No problem

I installed this in a router and it ran a firestick, netflix and youtube fine. No problem

Netflix has been known to run on 2/3mb just dont expect to stream UHD or 4K content on 5mb. Netflix will generally adjust the quality to your speed anyway.

bromley52 wrote: »

Eir is 80gb / Gomo is 120gb

Eir is 80gb / Gomo is 120gb

Eir sim only plans have a 120GB fair usage
    13. The fair usage threshold in relation to data usage for the Plans is 120GB. Should your data usage exceed 120GB in a billing cycle and eir Mobile considers that other users are likely to be adversely affected; we reserve the right to limit the data Service. eir Mobile continuously monitors network performance to ensure that the service received by the Customer is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods).

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Eir sim only plans have a 120GB fair usage

increased aswell then

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

Out of interest what router did you use? Looking to do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

im satisfied. hotspot from android works. Youtube 1080 works without stutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

The router is a tplink. Common enough to get. Must be the sim version.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Reda Mohamed

DerMutt wrote: »
    Hotspot functionality hasn’t worked on iPhones for the last few days.

I was on their chat and they said that they were working on a fix with Apple but couldn’t say when it would be back but they will let me know.

They did say they were here for me and to trust them!

I am looking to move clear mobile, can you use personal hotspot on iPhone and how 5mb cap work with you ?

has it solved now with you ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Jesus, I got excited when I read that.
    Vodafone signal is a bit better at my house than others.
    But 5Mbps is a deal breaker. Thats really bad.
    I just did a speed test on gomo from my house on 2 bars. 15mbps.
    I think i'll stay with gomo.

Could you try it out for a while before porting your phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Jesus, I got excited when I read that.
    Vodafone signal is a bit better at my house than others.
    But 5Mbps is a deal breaker. Thats really bad.
    I just did a speed test on gomo from my house on 2 bars. 15mbps.
    I think i'll stay with gomo.

Could you try it out for a while before porting your phone number.

If eir didn't own gomo I'd jump,but anything to do with eir is a no no for me under any circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Is the 5mb speed consistent most of the time?

Do speeds go down at peaks times?

How many signal bars do you need to keep it at 5mb?

If it stayed consistent at 5mb then should be good enough for most things online.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

thebo wrote: »
    Is the 5mb speed consistent most of the time?

Do speeds go down at peaks times?

How many signal bars do you need to keep it at 5mb?

If it stayed consistent at 5mb then should be good enough for most things online.

It's consistent so far, always steady at 5Mbit down and 5Mbit up.

Using speedtest, it starts at 15Mbit then throttles back to 5-6 Mbit

No issues with light browsing and youtube (HD)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Considering getting this plan for a relative due to coverage and them being a mainly non-data user. I'm just wondering about signing up and the options to request new number vs port existing number.

I know with GoMo you could get a new number and port over later which was great if there were delays getting sim etc. Does Clear Mobile work the same way or is it required to agree porting time when signing up if I want to keep existing number?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

westyIrl wrote: »
    Considering getting this plan for a relative due to coverage and them being a mainly non-data user. I'm just wondering about signing up and the options to request new number vs port existing number.

I know with GoMo you could get a new number and port over later which was great if there were delays getting sim etc. Does Clear Mobile work the same way or is it required to agree porting time when signing up if I want to keep existing number?

Cheers
    Yes you agree you a time for porting your current number.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BlueSkys102

When I ported my number over I was able to select the date and time for the switch to happen. I got the sim card a couple of days before the switch so had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BlueSkys102

westyIrl wrote: »

Cheers
    When I ported my number over I was able to select the date and time for the switch to happen. I got the sim card a couple of days before the switch so had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

What do you do if you try out the sim card and its rubbish.
    How do you cancel and tell them not to port your number.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

JimmyVik wrote: »
    What do you do if you try out the sim card and its rubbish.
    How do you cancel and tell them not to port your number.
    You will have to get another sim card from your new provider and get it ported that.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

Keano wrote: »
    You will have to get another sim card from your new provider and get it ported that.

Consider a dual sim phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

Aquos76 wrote: »

In my lifetime I have never seen Vodafone offer a good deal for anything.

Why would you announce to compete with something that offers better features at a better price?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

How would this compare with An Post mobile?, I just received a SIM card from an post and before I activate it , I thought I’d ask. Currently have 3 mobile and it is dreadful inside my house , no signal at all. The only service that seems to work in the house is Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

How would this compare with An Post mobile?, I just received a SIM card from an post and before I activate it , I thought I’d ask. Currently have 3 mobile and it is dreadful inside my house , no signal at all. The only service that seems to work in the house is Vodafone.

Similar for both calls and texts. Data: Post Mobile has 50GB data limit with no speed cap while Clear Mobile has no data limit but a 5Mb speed cap. Both piggy back on the Vodafone network so coverage should be the same. Post Mobile costs €2/month more.

Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If you have WiFi and hence don't need limitless go for PM. If you need limitless internet, go for clear.

Advertisement