Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eusap wrote: »
    I bought two, I had to actually change the light switch from a 30 year old one to one I picked up in B&Q for €2 because there was not enough clearance. But after that they are perfect for the Guest Bedrooms to avoid them turning off the switch.

Yea I've gotten one for visitors for the sitting room when we're not here and then for the bedroom as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just in case people haven't seen this deal-
    All-new Echo Dot (3rd Gen), Black + Philips Hue White Starter Kit E27

link

Wanted to get an Echo Dot anyway so thinking of getting this so can program a light to turn off automatically at certain time every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

tonc76 wrote: »
    Snug fit and tidy looking

Thanks for that. I placed an order for 2 of the single switch covers (SM200).
    Have you tried any of the double or triple covers yet?
    They don't seem as good as the single one according to reviews, but Samotech maybe refining the design it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Thanks for that. I placed an order for 2 of the single switch covers (SM200).
    Have you tried any of the double or triple covers yet?
    They don't seem as good as the single one according to reviews, but Samotech maybe refining the design it seems

I have the SM220 and SM209 double adapters. They both work well for me but I prefer the SM209 prefer as it doesn’t use the dimmers backplate to attach so it’s easier to access the switches if I need to

Brian017 wrote: »
    I have the SM220 and SM209 double adapters. They both work well for me but I prefer the SM209 prefer as it doesn’t use the dimmers backplate to attach so it’s easier to access the switches if I need to

Does it matter which original light switch you have? I know some are curved like the MK brand and some are just square shape.

I'm only starting bit by bit to swap over. I have mostly single dimmer switches and a double switch on landing and triple downstairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

jones wrote: »
    Any one else notice a high pitched wine off certain hue bulbs? I've 34 bulbs and I've noticed 2 or 3 of the gu10s emit this noise (I can only hear it when it's quiet to be fair) do I've dodgy bulbs or do I need to check my wiring?

I've only come across this where I had the lights linked to a traditional fixed dimmer switch on the wall. Could you move around the bulbs in question and see if the pitched sound follows? That's probably the quickest way to find out whether its the bulbs or the wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Looking to get lughtstips for underneatg my top kitchen cabinets. I have 2m of presses followed by about 90cm gap (window) then 1 more press around 50cm. How do I work this?

Thinking 2m light strip, extension up and over window and then connect to a cut 1m strip.

Also can only 1half of a cut strip be used or both bits?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

I know I got at £69 for 3 bulbs

Mine arrived this AM after ordering Friday,can't go wrong..updated software for bulb and 3 installed together in a kitchen fitting,one bulb wouldn't switch to correct scene,I had to edit manually and save,regroup etc didn't work..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

So these hue lighting strip things. What's the story with them? What are people using them for? Under presses to light countertops? On top of presses to illuminate the ceiling?
    Can they be hooked up to the back of a tv to give a sort of active ambilight effect, or are they only static colours?

Not sure if I'm missing out on something!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Looking to get lughtstips for underneatg my top kitchen cabinets. I have 2m of presses followed by about 90cm gap (window) then 1 more press around 50cm. How do I work this?

Thinking 2m light strip, extension up and over window and then connect to a cut 1m strip.

Also can only 1half of a cut strip be used or both bits?

Thanks

I asked similar before.
    I think an extension to connect the 2M to the 1M has to be bought on ebay or something to achieve this .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Soarer wrote: »
    So these hue lighting strip things. What's the story with them? What are people using them for? Under presses to light countertops? On top of presses to illuminate the ceiling?

I have 2 in my kitchen. 1 is over the kitchen units, consisting of 1 2m Lightstrip + (base unit) and 3 1m extensions plugged into it.

Then on the opposite wall, I have another 2m LightStrip + draped around the back of a large dresser unit.

423821.JPG

400529.JPG

Theres also 10 Hue Colour GU10's in the ceiling between the 2.

carq wrote: »
    I asked similar before.
    I think an extension to connect the 2M to the 1M has to be bought on ebay or something to achieve this .

You can add up to 10 1m extensions to the 2m LightStrip + (base unit). The 1m extensions simply plug into the end of the 2m Lightstrip + and 2m becomes 3m and so on.., and now they also provide a small flexible joint you can use if you want with the 1m extensions which makes going around corners easier, as when I bought all my extensions, they didn't provide this little piece, which would have been handy.

The clue is in the name. The original LightStrip was only 2m, and not extendable (officially anyway). It was also colour only (so it couldn't do the White Ambiance colours that the current Colour Ambiance & White Ambiance bulbs can do (but could mimic them). The Bloom is also Colour only (Not Colour Ambiance), but again can mimic the ambiance colours (Relax, Read, Energise & Concentrate).

The Lightstrip + was a newer version that was extendable, and also did the Ambiance colours.

Soarer wrote: »
    Can they be hooked up to the back of a tv to give a sort of active ambilight effect, or are they only static colours?

I wouldn't put one behind a TV, It's too bright.
    I have a Bloom behind the TV in the bedroom & in the living room, and it's fine for me, puts out just enough light to complement the 2 lamps in each room

426078.JPG

400074.JPG

Any Hue Light will work with the many app for light control, including disco, halloween, Christmas, Hue Sync (on PC/Mac = works great for movies & music)

You can add up to 10 1m extensions to the 2m LightStrip + (base unit). The 1m extensions simply plug into the end of the 2m Lightstrip + and 2m becomes 3m and so on.., and now they also provide a small flexible joint you can use if you want with the 1m extensions which makes going around corners easier, as when I bought all my extensions, they didn't provide this little piece, which would have been handy.

The clue is in the name. The original LightStrip was only 2m, and not extendable (officially anyway). It was also colour only (so it couldn't do the White Ambiance colours that the current Colour Ambiance & White Ambiance bulbs can do (but could mimic them). The Bloom is also Colour only (Not Colour Ambiance), but again can mimic the ambiance colours (Relax, Read, Energise & Concentrate).

The Lightstrip + was a newer version that was extendable, and also did the Ambiance colours.

Yes but his request was how to deal with a gap in his kitchen and make the extension work.
    I have only seen suggestions here for third party solutions to this.
    If there are standard hue solution let me know.

Yes but his request was how to deal with a gap in his kitchen and make the extension work.
    I have only seen suggestions here for third party solutions to this.
    If there are standard hue solution let me know.

Yes, Sorry, Still had the previous post in my mind!!

You'd need These or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Yes, Sorry, Still had the previous post in my mind!!

You'd need These or something similar

Also splitters available to run the extension in a different direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

or something similar

Thanks for help. Didn't buy yesterday after incase it didn't work. Will see if they pop up again even just for kick boards where it won't need a gap

Thanks for help. Didn't buy yesterday after incase it didn't work. Will see if they pop up again even just for kick boards where it won't need a gap

People here have posted about using them in this or the other Hue thread, with no issues reported.

I'd love to do it myself on a 3m gap to a small isolated unit, but its just too far to be worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

People here have posted about using them in this or the other Hue thread, with no issues reported.

I'd love to do it myself on a 3m gap to a small isolated unit, but its just too far to be worth the hassle.

Of all people to baulk at that, when your home is now more Hue than house. :D

But seriously, I have used similiar connectors to bridge a gap under my cabinets and it's worked without any issue since day 1.
    Am now seriously considering using a splitter to run a 1M extension into the corner cabinet that has a glass display door instead of replacing the dead fluorescent bulb in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I've to change fitting from E14 to E27. Is getting an adapter the best option or would changing the fitting altogether be the best way to go?

• Advertisement

I've to change fitting from E14 to E27. Is getting an adapter the best option or would changing the fitting altogether be the best way to go?

Adaptors are easy to get.

When I first put Hue in our bedside lamps, the lamps were E14, and the bulbs E27 (Hue hadn’t released their E14’s by then), so I bought the adaptors on eBay for about €1 each and they worked fine for a few years until the lamps were replaced with lamps with E27 fittings.

I’ve also used B22 to E27 adaptors and they all worked fine.

Just be aware that when you use an adapter it effectively increases the length of the bulb by about 3-4cm, so if you have small lampshades, the bulbs might stick out the top

hi

For people who have kitchen spotlights (GU10 is it ?)
    How many would you recommend and would you recommend coluor or just white lights ?
    how many would be sufficient in an average size kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

hi

How many would you recommend and would you recommend coluor or just white lights ?

You would want to be looking at at least 6.

It's totally up to you on colour or not.

It's a nice feature to have the colour but then you may save a chunk just getting white.

Keep an eye on them Friday.

hi

I've 10 colour GU10's in my (average size) kitchen & Dining Room (along with 2 light strips) as per the photos on the previous page.

Colour is nice, but not essential. If budget is of no concern, get the colour ones, if budget is tight, get the White Ambiance ones, and if budget is really stretched, get the White Only ones.

Also, I have a remote dimmer switch & a sensor in the kitchen (out of 10 dimmer switches & 4 sensors, these are the ones used the most)

I got the switches today, which was super fast delivery. They look the business so I will try fit them later today :).

Next step more bulbs / switches / adaptors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

I got the switches today, which was super fast delivery. They look the business so I will try fit them later today :).

Next step more bulbs / switches / adaptors :D

‘Tis an expensive addiction! :D

‘Tis an expensive addiction! :D

The thing is though, once you get done, your done!! I’ve had the entire house all hue for about 2 years now, so don’t need to buy anymore!!

I’ve 10-11 dimmers, 4 sensors and a sh1t ton of spare bulbs!! Even my mothers house has about 30 bulbs installed!!

As much as I love seeing all these deals, I don’t need any more, and eventually everyone who uses hue will be like that, so stick with it, do your whole house and you’ll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The thing is though, once you get done, your done!! I’ve had the entire house all hue for about 2 years now, so don’t need to buy anymore!!

I’ve 10-11 dimmers, 4 sensors and a sh1t ton of spare bulbs!! Even my mothers house has about 30 bulbs installed!!

As much as I love seeing all these deals, I don’t need any more, and eventually everyone who uses hue will be like that, so stick with it, do your whole house and you’ll be grand!

Thats just lies coming from you.:P The amount of spares you have is crazy. You also bought bulbs about 2 weeks ago because they were on sale

Thats just lies coming from you.:P The amount of spares you have is crazy. You also bought bulbs about 2 weeks ago because they were on sale

My sister moved into a new house a few months ago, so whether she likes it or not, she’s getting a set of Hue lights!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My sister moved into a new house a few months ago, so whether she likes it or not, she’s getting a set of Hue lights!!

I done this already.....

And now the great news I'm getting my own home and I'm going to do whatever the hell I like and it involves many electronic gadgets when budget is available.

Have my dad on hue also but he still hasn't got the bug but does like the landing light on timer function.

Advertisement