Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong winds Tuesday 17th November: Gusts possible up to 140km/h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

M6 979.9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Obs at 9am.

368823.PNG

Notable temp difference north and south of the low, which is obviously helping to fuel it somewhat.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Definitely expecting +60kt gusts in these parts late afternoon/evening

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    I'm terrified. My elderly parents live besides some less than savoury characters who make their lives hell after the last storm. Just want to get through this and out the other side. I have two questions and I'd appreciate any answers...

1) Is there any potential of this being as bad as the Feb 2014 storm? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being puffs of wind and 10 being the Feb 2014 storm, where would this storm lie (particulary in Limerick).

2) Have we had anything as bad as this since Feb 2014 (again from a Limerick perspective).

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Am I right in thinking Galway is pretty much in the centre of those strong winds today, should be interesting I recorded 65 mph during Abigail
    wonder what it could be today. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm terrified. My elderly parents live besides some less than savoury characters who make their lives hell after the last storm. Just want to get through this and out the other side. I have two questions and I'd appreciate any answers...

1) Is there any potential of this being as bad as the Feb 2014 storm? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being puffs of wind and 10 being the Feb 2014 storm, where would this storm lie (particulary in Limerick).

2) Have we had anything as bad as this since Feb 2014 (again from a Limerick perspective).

Thanks all.

Feb 2014 was a Much bigger area of Low pressure and it also produced a sting-jet (like a wind water fall through the atmoshpere) for a time.
    storm12th3-672x372.jpg

ATM it doesn't look like this much smaller system will produce one.No visual characteristics present yet. Still thought we can't ignore the models and what they show is a large swat of 100km+ winds making it's way further inland than usual. So thats where the severity of this storm lies IMO.

Its impossible to give a comparison rating on a storm that hasn't arrived yet but id probably go for a 7.
    No need to be afraid though, take the necessary precautions and all will be fine.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks all.

Probably the strongest since Feb 2014 for that part of the country unless I'm forgetting something, but definitely not as strong. If that was a 10 then this would be a 7-8, but it's hard to say as some areas will feel it a lot more than others plus it could turn out a bit weaker or a bit stronger than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Stay where you are and keep us up to date! You look like being in the firing line so don't shirk, but embrace.

you mean brace!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1300 charts from met eireann http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

1300 charts from met eireann http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

Is ME having this storm more southerly then others ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Winds picking up rapidly in Galway and starting to gust already id say this will be a nasty enough storm for some

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Winds picking up rapidly in Galway and starting to gust already id say this will be a nasty enough storm for some

That's for sure we just had two unreal gusts, where I work the noise coming from the roof was worrying to say the least and it has not got going yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looking a bit rough in Lahinch, lucky the are heading for low tidy as Barney hits
    http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/lahinch-web-cam-271257cm1.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Strong wind here in Tralee already , and big frequent gusts, some heavy rain earlier, dry atm .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

ROCHES POINT(A) SW 37 Gust 53
    SHERKIN ISLAND(A) W 33 Gust 53

Getting going down in Cork

Just saw this on the Indo website

http://www.independent.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann should have inland counties in orange too for their warning in my opinion. They had us southern inland counties in Orange for storm Darwin last year, and upgraded it to red when we were right in the middle of one of worst recorded storms ever for the country (was a top 5).
    This storm looks like one we had in the 1990s, remember at Rosslare winds gusted over 100mph, it was a short lived storm, I was milking cows and the cows refused to out into it - didn't blame them, was in October, not sure of year.

Though strongest winds will be in southwest coastal counties, there will be strong gusts on the east coast later too. 06Z ARPEGE showing 120 km/h gusts in Dublin at 7pm here with 140 km/h gusts in the Irish Sea.

arpegeuk-11-13-0_fva7.png

Looks like a last minute upgrade on the 06Z EURO4. The pink area of winds there are just below force 12. Though that model does sometimes overdo it a bit.

15111715_2_1706.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

RobertKK wrote: »
    Met Eireann should have inland counties in orange too for their warning in my opinion. They had us southern inland counties in Orange for storm Darwin last year, and upgraded it to red when we were right in the middle of one of worst recorded storms ever for the country (was a top 5).
    This storm looks like one we had in the 1990s, remember at Rosslare winds gusted over 100mph, it was a short lived storm, I was milking cows and the cows refused to out into it - didn't blame them, was in October, not sure of year.

Aye,I'm a bit concerned about this one as there is no high ground to the Sw and not much wsw of Arklow
    Meanwhile just had a squal here,rain rate changing from wet drizzle to 5 mins of 30+mm/hr
    Now followed by blue sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick
    Dry
    8 Oktas
    Sustained 27km/h
    Gust 45.7km/h.
    SW

Have been out since just after 0900 when it was nice and calm. Since 1100 its started to pick up a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Starting to get very blustery here now, east of Limerick City. First real test of the new fence I'd say, since Darwin stole the other one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Starting to get very blustery here now, east of Limerick City. First real test of the new fence I'd say, since Darwin stole the other one!

I'm worried about my shed :(

weisses wrote: »
    Is ME having this storm more southerly then others ?

Yes it's a bit further south than some of the others. Strongest winds would be on the north Kerry coast rather than Clare if this is right.

93bbMWm.gif

Nothing too dramatic on the 12pm reports, but that should ramp up quickly over the next couple of hours. No reporting stations along the coast where the core of strongest winds will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick

Gust 58.8km/h
    SW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Not a puff of breeze in Mayo, but very wet and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

It's really rockin in North Clare for the last 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Been blustery here in Mid-Kerry for an hour or so now ... had a 70km gust about 20 minutes ago ..

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Thanks for all the warnings. Have taken a few extra precautions. Winds quite strong now but nothing too scary at the moment and nothing we haven't experienced before. Tide was in about 8 and low tide is at 2 so hopefully not too much sea damage

NW Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Will Dublin get a battering later?

Advertisement