Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds Tuesday 17th November: Gusts possible up to 140km/h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yes, like the last time when mostly women were out picking up their children and trying to avoid falling trees.

The schools should be letting the children home early today.

dynamic systems im afraid, developing as they pass. probably near the limits of our abilities to forecast. me probably being a bit conservative as well

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I'll be walking home from college this afternoon in Galway! Hope the winds won't be too bad!

im heading to the coast soon. aint gonna miss this one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Agree this should be a Red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met analysis over the last 2 hours.

0tIe45l.gif

Barney on WNW path.

Very tight pressure gradient at the back of that low. Looks like we're going to get a good smack from it here in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I'll be walking home from college this afternoon in Galway! Hope the winds won't be too bad!

Just be situationally aware.

Keep an eye out for flying objects such as wheelie bins, fence parts, even trampolines! Look up as well as around, especially if in an area where buildings directly adjoin the street. Slates / tiles falling can give one a nasty bump.

Try not to walk with your head down looking at your feet. Be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Really looking forward to the drive home at 6.

esb are gonna be busy for a while:

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Been living in Taiwan the past few months but my station is still running away in Waterford City, Max gust of 63km/h recorded so far.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gust of 79 kph here in Ardfert, brought the young fella home early from school. A lot of parents wisely collecting kids early.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Becoming quite Stormy now in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    esb are gonna be busy for a while:

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

I just discovered that when you click into it a lot of them are green icons which are shown as "planned"

So its just the blue icons that are actual faults, which may be related to the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

elastico wrote: »
    I just discovered that when you click into it a lot of them are green icons which are shown as "planned"

So its just the blue icons that are actual faults, which may be related to the storm.

Yes and it doesn't show individual faults on the low voltage network. Only gives high tension faults so when the high tension is out they know how many transformers on that line and how many costumers been supplied by that transformer.

West Limerick
    Sustained 17km/h
    Gust 38km/h
    W - SW
    Dry. Sunshine
    6 Oktas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Currently gusting over 60 mph here in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the low is right in over Mayo, light winds here in Castlebar. keep the reports coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Gust of : 75.6 km/h 13:37 today in Mid-Kerry

EletricMan wrote: »
    Yes and it doesn't show individual faults on the low voltage network. Only gives high tension faults so when the high tension is out they know how many transformers on that line and how many costumers been supplied by that transformer.

Also be aware tha ESB Networks only post a fault when it affects 10 or more customers. They used to post a fault when 2 or more customers were affected but this changed a while ago.

There is an update site from ESB Networks which is used in adverse weather conditions http://updatesfromesb.com/

They also use Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/ESBNetworks?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Currently quite hairy here in Limerick City - and symptomatic of this winter - I had to move the still flowering sweet pea from across the coal bunker to get some coal!!

My son's school have cancelled after school activities but told parents to collect their sons as normal during the high point of the storm....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Tactical wrote: »
    Just be situationally aware.

Keep an eye out for flying objects such as wheelie bins, fence parts, even trampolines! Look up as well as around, especially if in an area where buildings directly adjoin the street. Slates / tiles falling can give one a nasty bump.

Try not to walk with your head down looking at your feet. Be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Thank you for that!! :) Actually just home now, left early! :D Atrocious winds, they'd nearly blow you away :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

the low is right in over Mayo, light winds here in Castlebar. keep the reports coming!

Eerily calm, looks like we will miss out on the fun and games for a change.

Gusting 62knots Kinsale now, 61 knots at Shannon. Shannon TAF will be spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Gusting to 79 km/h now in Galway city
    Mean 48.2 km/h

Barometer 984.73 hPa Falling -0.95 hPa/hr

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Was just about to post about how we are seeing very little here in Limerick city when a gust picked up 3 wheelie bins and slammed them into a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    Eerily calm, looks like we will miss out on the fun and games for a change.

Its a long winter yet, I'm sure we'll have plenty of fun over the coming months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Lumi wrote: »
    Gusting to 79 km/h now in Galway city
    Mean 48.2 km/h

Barometer 984.73 hPa Falling -0.95 hPa/hr

Feels like the roof of the office is about to take flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Was just about to post about how we are seeing very little here in Limerick city when a gust picked up 3 wheelie bins and slammed them into a car.

Half my back garden has just slammed into the windows here on d'North side :)

West Limerick

Sustained wind Westerly at 31km/h

Dry with bright sunshine.

1 Okta.

Shannon Airport half 2 - Gusting 64 Knots.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Getting strong in Limerick City.

Advertisement